PDA

View Full Version : Pick 15 Christian Howard

LostDoggy
26-11-2009, 07:57 PM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20A-E/THOward246a.jpg

Height: 184cm
Weight: 81kg
DOB: 19/03/91
Recruited from: Sacred Heart College/Glenelg (SA)
Bio: A very late bolter who has impressive foot skills and endurance as a running half-back. Was the designated kicker for Glenelg's under-18 side. Missed out on selection for South Australia but had a very impressive second half of the season.

Gilbee replacement?

Scraggers
26-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Played in defence in the under 18s ... finished sixth in their fairest and best

comrade
Going for a smoky in the first round - Dalrymple has defintely learnt the Clayton playbook. They must have been positive that he'd be gone by pick 31.

Dazza
Surprise pick.

LostDoggy
26-11-2009, 07:59 PM
WTF???? We could have got BLack:mad:

Throughandthrough
26-11-2009, 07:59 PM
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,26402362-5016212,00.html

Bolter from the Bays

AN unheralded Glenelg junior has emerged as one of the biggest bolters of today's AFL national draft.

Dashing half-back Christian Howard was not invited to this year's AFL draft camp or State screening sessions but his phone has run hot in the past few weeks, with seven clubs, including the Crows, expressing strong interest in him.

Howard - who played a starring role in the Tigers' successful under-18 finals campaign - has gone from an outside rookie-list hope to a possible top-30 pick on the back of a late-season surge and two strong finals performances.

Hometown club Adelaide began the chase, contacting the 18-year-old last month. Calls from the Western Bulldogs, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Hawthorn, Richmond and Sydney have followed.

"Things have happened so quickly that I struggle to even think about it," Howard said.

"I had heard rumours during the season that some scouts were watching me but I never spoke to anyone or believed it until I got a call from a management group (Justin Reid's ESP) a month or so ago.

"Since then, the interest has started and the phone's pretty much run hot."

Described as being a mix of Hawthorn's Luke Hodge (kicking skills), Geelong's Andrew Mackie (the way he patrols half-back) and Adelaide's Brad Symes (physique and running ability), Howard's star has risen so quickly he is being considered as high as a second-round pick.

"Christian's virtually come from nowhere," said SA under-18 coach Brenton Phillips, who did not pick him in his State squad.

"He was getting 10-to-12 touches a game at under-18 level early in the year but by the end of the season he was winning the ball 20-to-22 times and using it well. He has turned into a dashing left-footer who is such an elite kick that he virtually nails them every time."

Brought through Glenelg's junior grades as a midfielder but used this season as an attacking half-back flanker, the 187cm Howard was the Tigers' designated under-18 kicker. His kicking was so strong it drew comparisons to Norm Smith Medallist Hodge.

"He's got that depth and accuracy with his kicking, which is so important in footy these days," Glenelg football manager Ken Applegarth said. "And he's got that uncanny ability to read the play and find the footy. It's amazing how quickly he's developed this year and he works so hard on his game that it's no surprise to see AFL clubs chasing him. He really does tick all the boxes."

Howard, who joined Glenelg's junior program at 11 from Sacred Heart College, said he has no doubt his brilliant under-18 finals series has helped his draft standing. "If you play well in big games it certainly helps" he said.

Last month, Howard had not contemplated watching the draft. Now he and his parents will converge at his grandparents Kidman Park home to see it unfold. "They've got Foxtel and I don't," he said. "So we'll sit there and hope things turn out well. I don't care at what number I go, as long as it happens."

strebla
26-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Surprised but not disapointed he will be a good replacement for Shaggr or Gilbee not unhappy

jazzadogs
26-11-2009, 08:01 PM
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,26402362-5016212,00.html

Bolter from the Bays

AN unheralded Glenelg junior has emerged as one of the biggest bolters of today's AFL national draft.

Dashing half-back Christian Howard was not invited to this year's AFL draft camp or State screening sessions but his phone has run hot in the past few weeks, with seven clubs, including the Crows, expressing strong interest in him.

Howard - who played a starring role in the Tigers' successful under-18 finals campaign - has gone from an outside rookie-list hope to a possible top-30 pick on the back of a late-season surge and two strong finals performances.

Hometown club Adelaide began the chase, contacting the 18-year-old last month. Calls from the Western Bulldogs, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Hawthorn, Richmond and Sydney have followed.

"Things have happened so quickly that I struggle to even think about it," Howard said.

"I had heard rumours during the season that some scouts were watching me but I never spoke to anyone or believed it until I got a call from a management group (Justin Reid's ESP) a month or so ago.

"Since then, the interest has started and the phone's pretty much run hot."

Described as being a mix of Hawthorn's Luke Hodge (kicking skills), Geelong's Andrew Mackie (the way he patrols half-back) and Adelaide's Brad Symes (physique and running ability), Howard's star has risen so quickly he is being considered as high as a second-round pick.

"Christian's virtually come from nowhere," said SA under-18 coach Brenton Phillips, who did not pick him in his State squad.

"He was getting 10-to-12 touches a game at under-18 level early in the year but by the end of the season he was winning the ball 20-to-22 times and using it well. He has turned into a dashing left-footer who is such an elite kick that he virtually nails them every time."

Brought through Glenelg's junior grades as a midfielder but used this season as an attacking half-back flanker, the 187cm Howard was the Tigers' designated under-18 kicker. His kicking was so strong it drew comparisons to Norm Smith Medallist Hodge.

"He's got that depth and accuracy with his kicking, which is so important in footy these days," Glenelg football manager Ken Applegarth said. "And he's got that uncanny ability to read the play and find the footy. It's amazing how quickly he's developed this year and he works so hard on his game that it's no surprise to see AFL clubs chasing him. He really does tick all the boxes."

Howard, who joined Glenelg's junior program at 11 from Sacred Heart College, said he has no doubt his brilliant under-18 finals series has helped his draft standing. "If you play well in big games it certainly helps" he said.

Last month, Howard had not contemplated watching the draft. Now he and his parents will converge at his grandparents Kidman Park home to see it unfold. "They've got Foxtel and I don't," he said. "So we'll sit there and hope things turn out well. I don't care at what number I go, as long as it happens."
That article makes me happier.

Throughandthrough
26-11-2009, 08:04 PM
OK, here's a few photos i've taken of the great man.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2423/3980266378_ce748c0350.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2509/3980189540_07bf48985c.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2675/3980192084_53a836dc21.jpg

Throughandthrough
26-11-2009, 08:09 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2649/3979426399_f35d602aa4.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2440/3980291944_d4773d71d7.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3477/3980183148_78d9e0b100.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2540/3979520831_742cebed7b.jpg

Throughandthrough
26-11-2009, 08:11 PM
last lot

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3467/3980158722_dd3d7afe30.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2534/3980181014_eb76e6658e.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2459/3980290170_7892be2099.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3167/3979529249_cd26f73f32.jpg

jazzadogs
26-11-2009, 08:14 PM
So you're a fan Throughandthrough?

Throughandthrough
26-11-2009, 08:15 PM
am now!

bulldogtragic
26-11-2009, 08:16 PM
They all know something we dont.

LostDoggy
26-11-2009, 08:17 PM
The port guy next him with the mullett! He would have been good

Throughandthrough
26-11-2009, 08:20 PM
The port guy next him with the mullett! He would have been good

Wasn't a very good footballer. To carry hair like that you would have to be sensational. He wasn't. Maybe that's why Howard got noticed that day.

(u 18 grand final)

Go_Dogs
26-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Would it be a reach to say he could play some AFL next year - he looks fairly well built.

bulldogtragic
26-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Matt Burgan:

42 - GEELONG - Christian Howard
DOB: 19/03/91, Height: 184cm, Weight: 81kg
Recruited from: Sacred Heart College/Glenelg (SA)
Draft range: 31-60
Meet Christian Howard

Howard has shot up in recent times and now looks certain to be drafted. His foot skills are regarded among the best in the draft. He was Glenelg's designated kicker during its 2009 under-18 premiership season. A dashing half-back with good endurance, Howard simply got better as the year went on. One recruiter is adamant he will be a top-30 selection. Howard has also been mooted with the Western Bulldogs, Adelaide, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Hawthorn and Brisbane Lions.

LostDoggy
26-11-2009, 08:28 PM
I find it strange that we drafted a guy with pick 15 that most people thought would be a 2nd or 3rd rounder

LostDoggy
26-11-2009, 08:30 PM
I find it strange that we drafted a guy with pick 15 that most people thought would be a 2nd or 3rd rounder

I find that strange that everyone here is a draft expert.

jazzadogs
26-11-2009, 08:32 PM
I find that strange that everyone here is a draft expert.
In Arkie's defence, it was the supposed draft experts in the media who said he would be a 2nd or 3rd Rounder.

Throughandthrough
26-11-2009, 08:32 PM
NB is from Sacred Heart College, continuing their record as the most successfull feeder school in Australia when it comes to drafts.

Go_Dogs
26-11-2009, 08:35 PM
NB is from Sacred Heart College, continuing their record as the most successfull feeder school in Australia when it comes to drafts.

The private school system has done very well this year with the SA kids, Princes also having a couple of high profile kids selected in Trengove and Tapscott.

LostDoggy
26-11-2009, 08:39 PM
In Arkie's defence, it was the supposed draft experts in the media who said he would be a 2nd or 3rd Rounder.

Its not a crack at arkie, its a crack at making predictions. At the moment everyone new selected is neither a champion or dud as they haven't played a game yet.

Throughandthrough
26-11-2009, 08:40 PM
nb Trengove played junior footy for Glenelg as well, but sadly moved homes about 6 months before his 15th birthday.

Bumper Bulldogs
26-11-2009, 09:00 PM
I don't mind, it's hard to find a bad left foot kick in the AFL. hope he comes out and lives up to the faith but in him.

Welcome aboard!

Happy Days
26-11-2009, 09:12 PM
"Designated kicker" according to Shifter - can't have too many of them in your side.

Bumper Bulldogs
26-11-2009, 09:19 PM
"Designated kicker" according to Shifter - can't have too many of them in your side.

Could he replace the Bald Eagle?

divvydan
26-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Could he replace the Bald Eagle?

Dalrymple on SEN now, says he can play more midfield and his words suggest he might be an Eagle replacement.

Dry Rot
26-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Dalrymple on SEN now, says he can play more midfield and his words suggest he might be an Eagle replacement.

Did he explain why he thought Howard was worth a first round pick?

divvydan
26-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Did he explain why he thought Howard was worth a first round pick?

He didn't really say why, he did mention his kicking skills though so that will be the main reason.

bulldogtragic
26-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Obviously someone was getting him before 31 and we didn't want that to happen, ala Dre.

Dry Rot
26-11-2009, 09:42 PM
He didn't really say why, he did mention his kicking skills though so that will be the main reason.

Thanks.

Mofra
26-11-2009, 09:45 PM
IIRC, Callan Ward started his draft year as a plodding backman and improved rapidly throughout the year, recruiters noticed that he was improving quickly. Sounds just like CH's bio - started slowly & improved quickly throughout the year.

Given that, I'd expect he's been identified as the type that will start behind a few of his compatriots but thrive under an AFL system in terms of development. He wont need to debut for a couple of years anyway given our fringe players awaiting for more gametime.

Elite kick in the modern football era of keeping possession & zoning? Yes please!

LostDoggy
26-11-2009, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=Throughandthrough;127705]OK, here's a few photos i've taken of the great man.

Sorry, I just can't get past the mullet. It's magnificent.

On a side note, welcome to the Bulldogs Christian.

Mantis
26-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Obviously someone was getting him before 31 and we didn't want that to happen, ala Dre.

We just rated him as the next best cab off the rank.

mighty_west
26-11-2009, 10:04 PM

Magnificent wouldn't be the word i'd use, but each to their own...:D

Christian looks to have a bit of size about him, which is a bit of a change over the past few years - Cordy, Grant & Everitt all wafer thin.

The Pie Man
26-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Photos of the ball drop, and perhaps even his face, remind me of Ryan O'Keefe

divvydan
26-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Be great if we could see some vision of him in action, doesn't really seem to be any though.

AndrewP6
26-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Born a day after me... well, OK, 15 years AND a day!...

AndrewP6
26-11-2009, 10:45 PM
OK, here's a few photos i've taken of the great man.

Great boy? ;)

Swoop
26-11-2009, 11:40 PM
I know some people see it as 'risky' but it actually brings me a great deal of confidence to think that our club & recruiting staff believe in our processes and talent identification systems so strongly that they are not fazed at selecting a player with our first pick who was overlooked for both the Draft camp as well as the State screenings.

Obviously they have done their research and I look forward to monitoring his progress next season.

hujsh
27-11-2009, 12:13 AM
We just rated him as the next best cab off the rank.

Next best overall or next best for our team?

lemmon
27-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Interesting that the club were prepared to pick him before the more highly rated Black and Mcmillan-Pittard. Can never have enough quality users of the pill so welcome to the club and good luck.

wb_age
27-11-2009, 01:04 AM
http://city-messenger.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/draft-preview-glenelg/

An article that mentions our first round pick and an accurate prediction.

``I reckon he’ll maybe go in the first round,’’ Phillips said.

``He’s come from nowhere, a left-footer who kicks the ball beautifully.

mjp
27-11-2009, 01:44 AM
I like Phillips - good guy, smart guy. But if he is a first round choice how could he not make the first 25 in a very (very, very) ordinary SA u18 team. Sorry, but that article was commissioned by the SANFL.

I love that we stuck to our guns and picked the player who we wanted. I am completely baffled how our first round selection has improved so much since the end of the season...during which time he hasn't played a single game.

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 02:05 AM
I hope I am wrong, but I was so excited when we picked Higgins, Ward, Roughy and Ace. This year I just feel like we are the laughing stock of the AFL:o

Howard was the only first round pick that didn't have bio or a picture for christ sake:eek: I am warming slightly towards the ex Hawthorn rookie - although let's face it Hawthorn are good are over-rating their players.

Thank god we have Libba and Wallis coming up next year - so we can't stuff that one.

Dry Rot
27-11-2009, 02:53 AM
I hope I am wrong, but I was so excited when we picked Higgins, Ward, Roughy and Ace. This year I just feel like we are the laughing stock of the AFL:o

Howard was the only first round pick that didn't have bio or a picture for christ sake:eek: I am warming slightly towards the ex Hawthorn rookie - although let's face it Hawthorn are good are over-rating their players.

Thank god we have Libba and Wallis coming up next year - so we can't stuff that one.

A lame reply, but.....

Isn't this a little bit (and only a little bit) like the old Tambling/Franklin/Griff arguments?

We may only know in 3 or 4 years time.

divvydan
27-11-2009, 03:59 AM
This thread got a mention in an article on Howard

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dogs-find-a-home-for-the-bolter-20091126-jux6.html

Go_Dogs
27-11-2009, 09:09 AM
I love that we stuck to our guns and picked the player who we wanted. I am completely baffled how our first round selection has improved so much since the end of the season...during which time he hasn't played a single game.

I think the point Phillips is making is that he has improved a lot since not being selected for the Carnival - during the last half of the season - culminating in a pretty good performance in the SANFL U/18's final.

The fact that he had risen so much (and from quite a way back) without a draft camp or state screening is interesting though.

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Yes, he improved so much he came 6th in their best and fairest:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 09:18 AM
This thread got a mention in an article on Howard

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dogs-find-a-home-for-the-bolter-20091126-jux6.html

Oh so it was this thread - nice quote from me:o

w3design
27-11-2009, 09:29 AM
It is interesting that he went through so unnoticed, we'll just have to have faith in Dalrymple. I am pleased we seem to have drafted guys with outstanding skill rather than outstanding athleticism who still have to learn how to play the game.

The Pie Man
27-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Oh so it was this thread - nice quote from me:o

Too funny :D

Hotdog60
27-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Showing such a big improvement since not getting selected for the state side shows a player with a great attitude, looks to me that he put his head down and worked his butt off.

This can only be a good thing.:)

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 10:10 AM

Perhaps a little early to say we're the laughing stock. Look at who the Saints have picked up and disposed of since the end of last season....

Mofra
27-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Yes, he improved so much he came 6th in their best and fairest:rolleyes:
* taps drb on the shoulder*

A B&F actually measures performance over the season, not imporvement since the start of the season.

Using a B&F to measure improvement over the year is like using thermometer to measure speed.

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 11:22 AM
B&F means nothing anyways. Sean Tighe won the Western Jets B&F and didn't get drafted. I hope he gets picked up in the rookie draft.

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 11:54 AM
I like Phillips - good guy, smart guy. But if he is a first round choice how could he not make the first 25 in a very (very, very) ordinary SA u18 team. Sorry, but that article was commissioned by the SANFL.

Does Howard's improvement over the season remind you of Cal Ward's final year?

Throughandthrough
27-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Be great if we could see some vision of him in action, doesn't really seem to be any though.

If its anywhere will be some in here (i havent checked yet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsxk95Uycx8

Scorlibo
27-11-2009, 12:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sob555JzA0E

Seen jogging at 0:15 and chasing but getting shepharded at 1:20

Mantis
27-11-2009, 12:29 PM
From some info. I have gathered this morning Simon Dalrymple was extremely keen on Howard throughout the 2nd half of the season and flew over to watch him in action on an almost weekly basis.

It was decided early in the week that if our top choices were gone (players like Jetta, Sheppard, Lucas, Moore) then Howard was our man. If the others were still available and we had used pick 15 on one of them it would be hoped that Howard would still be there at pick 31, but there were no guarantees as a couple of other clubs were sniffing around.

Raw Toast
27-11-2009, 12:34 PM
From some info. I have gathered this morning Simon Dalrymple was extremely keen on Howard throughout the 2nd half of the season and flew over to watch him in action on an almost weekly basis.

It was decided early in the week that if our top choices were gone (players like Jetta, Sheppard, Lucas, Moore) then Howard was our man. If the others were still available and we had used pick 15 on one of them it would be hoped that Howard would still be there at pick 31, but there were no guarantees as a couple of other clubs were sniffing around.

Thanks Mantis.

Throughandthrough
27-11-2009, 12:50 PM
OK guys, this is from someone who seriously would know.

Christian Howard getting drafted is simply fantastic because in our opinion he has always been a talented footballer, but this year really transformed himself into a really accomplished player. He is a great athlete and has a terrific motor and can run around 10.00mins flat for a 3 km time trial which shows his running ability. He was easily the best kick in the Under 18 competition and I have publicly stated that he is the best kick at the Glenelg Football Club in all grades as he hits targets from 50m and beyond.

Whilst always having a great weapon with his kicking prowess, Howie really worked hard on both his defensive and offensive actions this year and he became such a strong rebounding player in the last half of the year, that Port Adelaide tried to tag him in the Under 18 Grand Final. His finals series was outstanding, but his whole year was worthy of him being a Top 15 Pick.

Having watched the Under 18 Carnival, he was well above the standards that I saw, and whilst many people are saying that he is a smokey, in our opinion he always had the ability, he just needed to work harder and develop some confidence in his own ability.

He is unbelievably well suited to the Bulldogs – he is a left footed Lindsay Gilbee and has many attributes like Nathan Eagleton. It’s a great pick up by the Bulldogs and we are all just over the moon for him.

soupman
27-11-2009, 01:00 PM
If its anywhere will be some in here (i havent checked yet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsxk95Uycx8

Couldn't see him anywhere there but that first goal is so embarassing for that Glenelg player who couldn't pick the footy up.

Throughandthrough
27-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Couldn't see him anywhere there but that first goal is so embaressing for that Glenelg player who couldn't pick the footy up.

Yep. Stupidly they were not allowed to train on AAMI before the game, and its obviously a completely different surfave to the suburban grounds. Glenelg Oval has a crap playing surface as hard as a rock.

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=Throughandthrough;127705]OK, here's a few photos i've taken of the great man.

Obviously a product of the Clive Waterhouse Hair and Grooming Academy.

He even looks like the only player other than Hird to be known by his first name.

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Everyone who has been saying this kid will be a replacement for Eagleton have they actually seen the kid play? I'd like to hear some more information. Like how is his defensive game compared to Eagle etc..? I haven't seen him play and can't find any footage.

divvydan
27-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Everyone who has been saying this kid will be a replacement for Eagleton have they actually seen the kid play? I'd like to hear some more information. Like how is his defensive game compared to Eagle etc..? I haven't seen him play and can't find any footage.

To be honest, none of us bar those who watch Glenelg will have seen much of him play. The Eagleton replacement comments came after an interview by Dalrymple who talked about his run and kicking, especially his inside 50 penetration, all qualities that we get from Eagle currently.
Can't really give any indication of his defensive qualities though, guess we'll have to wait until we see him in a trial game in Feb.

mjp
27-11-2009, 11:15 PM

I've seen him.

He is a very different player to Eagleton. Say what you will about Eagleton - he is a good kick but an elite runner. It is hard to say too much about Howard from two games on tape, but he is a very good kick but I wouldn't have said he had elite running ability - seemed quick enough though.

mjp
27-11-2009, 11:18 PM
B&F means nothing anyways. Sean Tighe won the Western Jets B&F and didn't get drafted. I hope he gets picked up in the rookie draft.

He might get a go purely because of his size. I am not sure he will though - Sean's best move would be to pick a VFL club that wants him - and despite the Jets alliance I dont think Williamstown would be a good choice - and play some senior footy in 2010.

Sockeye Salmon
27-11-2009, 11:21 PM
I've seen him.

He is a very different player to Eagleton. Say what you will about Eagleton - he is a good kick but an elite runner. It is hard to say too much about Howard from two games on tape, but he is a very good kick but I wouldn't have said he had elite running ability - seemed quick enough though.

Phillips said he had a 10 minutes flat 3km and a 14+ beep.

Dogs 24/7
28-11-2009, 08:25 AM
He might get a go purely because of his size. I am not sure he will though - Sean's best move would be to pick a VFL club that wants him - and despite the Jets alliance I dont think Williamstown would be a good choice - and play some senior footy in 2010.

I have heard that a lot of young local players are avoiding playing for Williamstown and look at Werribee and Port Melbourne as a far better opportunity. Tighe does need to look at a stand alone club like Port or one with a partial alliance like Werribee if he doesn't get rookie listed.

mjp
28-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Phillips said he had a 10 minutes flat 3km and a 14+ beep.

Which is good because those two tests are good at measuring your willingness to run and push yourself. They dont really measure speed though...My 11 year old daughter does little athletics and there is a girl there - an u12 girl - who is close to 10minute pace for 3kms over 1500m (5.20 for 1500).

BRING IT ON
28-11-2009, 11:21 AM
The big test for him if he's going to be developed as a back pocket who provides run out of defence and switches attack with pin point kicks to 50m+ , will be his defensive skills learning curve , reading the play and timing your attack on the ball , the modern defender has clean possession on the ground and in the air and a growing emphasis on strength through the hips to break tackles and put body on body contact on an opponent with the ball and not go to ground.

Welcome to the Club Christian

LostDoggy
28-11-2009, 11:50 AM
OK guys, this is from someone who seriously would know.

Thanks for that, very good read.

Everywhere you read up about him, he seems to be compared to Gilbee or Eagleton. That's why i think the selection of him at pick 15 was a good one, we need to replace Gilbee in the coming years as he is getting on in age. Both him and Tutt seem to be very similar, with Tutt only being a little smaller in size.

To me, Howard seems more a Gilbee type & Tutt a Eagleton type running long kick.

LostDoggy
28-11-2009, 03:03 PM
I keep reading different heights for Howard. Is he 187cm or 184cm?

GVGjr
28-11-2009, 04:01 PM
I keep reading different heights for Howard. Is he 187cm or 184cm?

Does it really matter? I believe that he is 187cm but we probably won't be sure until he comes over to club and gets his medical.

LostDoggy
28-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Does it really matter? I believe that he is 187cm but we probably won't be sure until he comes over to club and gets his medical.

Yeah. 3cm is quite a lot.

hujsh
28-11-2009, 08:00 PM

Maybe if you're looking at KPP's it can be but this guy's a midfielder/flanker. He's tall enough either way to play his part IMO.

GVGjr
28-11-2009, 09:00 PM

I wouldn't have thought so especially for a running and long kicking mid sized defender or midfielder. I don't think he's been recruited for his marking.

If he is 184cm tall not 187cm what difference do you see that making?

mighty_west
28-11-2009, 09:09 PM

So in that case, is 190cm too short for a power forward?

Rocco Jones
29-11-2009, 12:56 AM
Just to get a bit of an idea of what to expect from a player picked at 15, I had a looksy do at previous pick 15ers. I know it's a pretty narrow way to look at it and I really should be listing pick 16s and 17s etc but it actually became more about the pick 15 curse.

2008-Mitch Brown
2007-Robbie Tarrant
2006-Daniel O’Keefe
2005-Travis Varcoe
2004-Lynden Dunn
2003-Troy Chaplin
2002-Nick Smith
2001-Barry Brooks
2000-Simon Wiggins
1999-David Sprggs

Rocco Jones
29-11-2009, 01:02 AM
I am interested to hear about what posters have as a benchmark for pick 15.

Everyone thinks we have taken a risk using pick 15 on Howard but I really see it the other way. Howard's pace and foot skills will go along way in ensuring he has a decent career. He doesn't have the upside of taller athletes but he does have tools that suit being a valuable addition to a team playing the modern game.

Rocco Jones
29-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Oh and all he needs if for his middle name to be Right.

LostDoggy
29-11-2009, 01:45 AM
2005-Travis Varcoe

Premiership player, hopefully he follows suit.

LostDoggy
29-11-2009, 01:55 AM
I was just thinking. We sure do have a lot of South Australians at the kennel. Same with the Queenslanders. I suspect we have more QLD players than Brisbane does. Does our club recruit a lot of scouts Australia wide that are full time?

MrMahatma
29-11-2009, 05:29 AM
The fact is - not every top 10 pick is a superstar. Not every top 5 is. And certainly not everyone in the top 15, every year.

All you can do is pick who you think is best available, or suits your needs at that stage of the draft.

He might be a superstar, in which case probably 3 or 4 of the teams with pics before us will regret not picking him up, or he might not be much of a player, and no doubt there'll be some guys taken way low in the draft (or rookies) who will be guns. And we'll all point to this pick and ask 'why?'. Then again, he might just be a solid contributor - the fact is, when you finish 3rd, and a team has a priority pick, it's hard to get a gun, let alone when GC have raped the draft pool.

I'm glad we've gone for a guy with skills. Good skills. If anything cuts teams up, it's good kicking. I think it should be a pre-req for even getting drafted.

To be honest - I expect this year to get at least 2 contributors. If we get anything more (a superstar, or a bunch of handy players) then fine.

Sedat
29-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Just to get a bit of an idea of what to expect from a player picked at 15, I had a looksy do at previous pick 15ers. I know it's a pretty narrow way to look at it and I really should be listing pick 16s and 17s etc but it actually became more about the pick 15 curse.

2008-Mitch Brown
2007-Robbie Tarrant
2006-Daniel O’Keefe
2005-Travis Varcoe
2004-Lynden Dunn
2003-Troy Chaplin
2002-Nick Smith
2001-Barry Brooks
2000-Simon Wiggins
1999-David Sprggs
The irony of that list is that probably the best performed pick 15 came from the weakest overall draft year (although 2002 wasn't exactly a stellar year either).

If his kicking skills are as elite as has been alluded (I haven't seen him so I can't judge for myself), then he will have a very good chance of making it. A guy like Simon Cox managed to extract a career out of having nothing else other than a good left peg - he certainly had no pace, no great endurance and was poor in the contest (both aerially and at ground level). So if Howard has some core strength, decent pace off the mark, good endurance and generally makes good decisions when he has the ball (all of which it has been suggested he has), it's not a stretch at all to suggest that he will have a very good AFL career.

GVGjr
29-11-2009, 08:38 AM
I am interested to hear about what posters have as a benchmark for pick 15.

Everyone thinks we have taken a risk using pick 15 on Howard but I really see it the other way. Howard's pace and foot skills will go along way in ensuring he has a decent career. He doesn't have the upside of taller athletes but he does have tools that suit being a valuable addition to a team playing the modern game.

My expectation on any first round pick is that they should be likely to play more than 100 senior games. The only reason why so many people see his selection as a risk is because he didn't follow the normal recruitment pathway especially for a first round pick having not played representative football for SA and not being invited to even the state screenings.

I think your observation that Howard is ideally suited to the modern game is spot on as there will be a premium placed on being able to use the ball well and being able to make the right decisions. These attributes are what Howard is highly regarded for.

LostDoggy
29-11-2009, 09:59 AM
That pick 15 list makes me nervous Rocco..

But lets go back a bit further

1994 Scott Camporeale
1996 Max Hudghton
1998 Brady Rawlings

All have played 200 games+

comrade
29-11-2009, 10:31 AM
xsxk95Uycx8

In an effort to try and find some (any) footage of our first rounder, I came across the above highlights of Glenelg's SANFL U/18 GF win - Howard doesn't feature but the commentators do mention his name as a rebounding half back flank with a raking left foot.

Throughandthrough
29-11-2009, 11:42 AM
I was just thinking. We sure do have a lot of South Australians at the kennel. Same with the Queenslanders. I suspect we have more QLD players than Brisbane does. Does our club recruit a lot of scouts Australia wide that are full time?

Western Bulldogs, the team for all South Australians!

NB I was wondering what/who the WBU SA based recruitment guys are now.

I wouldn't even know who Mr Dalrymple was if I sat next to him at a game (which I may have done....) :)

Go_Dogs
30-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Western Bulldogs, the team for all South Australians!

That's my line ;)

LostDoggy
30-11-2009, 10:07 AM

Haha i was speaking to a friend on draft night cause she didnt have internet or foxtel access, so i let her know who we got, when Christians name was read out and they sid where he was from, i said to her, we thought we'd do something different this year and draft a guy from SA..haha i think its pretty funny...but hey he shouldnt get homesick with all the other guys around him haha....

Doc26
30-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Oh and all he needs if for his middle name to be Right.

Did have a laugh at this one. Maybe there was something in Little Johnny's $10m grant afterall.

Throughandthrough
30-11-2009, 08:51 PM
That's my line ;)

Yep!

Told u I would use it :p

ronmcd
05-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Howard is not only a gutsy performer on field, he is astute and can 'read the play' well ahead of the pack. He has put university on hold so he can put his footy skills to the test and, as 'Through and Through' has alluded to, I don't think any Bulldog follower will be disappointed in this guy.
He was been happy to play in the local league to build his skills and confidence and get to know his team mates before being too eager to be picked for the state team.This says a lot about his character.
Sound like I'm a big fan, eh, but I am. This kid has worked so hard and deserves every opportunity.:)

comrade
03-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Wiseby's rankings for the 2009 draft have been released - he ranked Howard 16th overall.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Wiseby's rankings for the 2009 draft have been released - he ranked Howard 16th overall.

Have you got a link to that comrade? It'd be an interesting read.

comrade
03-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Have you got a link to that comrade? It'd be an interesting read.

I found it via the Hawthorn board on BF

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678511

mjp
03-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Fascinating as always. If only the reports were available as opposed to just the list.

comrade
03-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Fascinating as always. If only the reports were available as opposed to just the list.

Do you agree with his ranking of Morabito?

mjp
04-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Do you agree with his ranking of Morabito?

Well - it is fine.

I think I am on record as saying I would not have wanted to be sitting there with him next on my potential draftee list.

Impressed at where Fyfe was (think Freo stole one there), think Black was too low but he is a skinny kid who traditionally rates lowly on the Wiseby scale.

I still insist that Jetta was the best player in the draft and that Trengove is a better bet than Scully...can't wait to find out.

Go_Dogs
04-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Wisbey had my boy Hutchings rated at 21 - glad I was not the only person on the planet who saw something in him.

Pretty interesting read. Very interesting where he rated Bollenhagen who was apparently someone we were interested in too.

Trengove is a better bet than Scully

Agreed. I honestly didn't bother to look up much on Scully prior to the draft because he was seen as a lock for the 1/2 spots, but Trengove is just sublime. What we've seen already, Trengove will slot in superbly. Both should be good players though.

Thanks for linking that Comrade, terrific read. Would love to take at look at his Howard profile.

Mantis
09-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Hutchy had a little piece on Christian on his page in today's Herald Sun:

Boost for Dogs

The Western Bulldogs have been buoyed by the return of Christian Howard to the training track.

Recruited from Glenelg with pick 15, Howard has been restricted by a hip injury. But the signs are good for return soon.

Bulldogs spokesman David McNamara said this week: "He's ahead of schedule in his recovery after his hip operation. It looks like he'll be up for selection for Williamstown reserves next week"

Throughandthrough
09-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Hooray!

Good luck Howie.