PDA

View Full Version : Pick 63 Lukas Markovic

LostDoggy
26-11-2009, 08:38 PM
http://www.boxhillhawks.com.au/photos/the-team/players/2009/Lukas-Markovic_m.jpg

Date of Birth: 5/01/1987
Height (cm): 193
Weight (kg): 94

Previous Clubs:
Hawthorn/Eastern Ranges

Anyone know much about him?

jazzadogs
26-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Lucas Markovic – 191/81 (Eastern Ranges) – state screening - strong overhead – has a big vertical leap and can leap straight up into the air at the end of a lead (a trait which Gary Ablett and Roger Luders had) which will enable him to protect the ball from defenders more as well as making it harder for him to be pushed under the ball.

He kicked a couple of bags of goals to end the season before badly dislocating his ankle in the first game of the finals series which will be interesting how much it has mended by the time draft camp gets here, obviously not enough to do the tests. Played a lot of the year in ruck before being tried as a key forward later in the season and this is when people began to notice him. Even earlier in the year his marking ability stood out.
He does not do much at ground level and will need to improve that part of his game. The only player in this draft who is capable of becoming a 100 goal full forward. The injury could see him slide down the list. TAC 9.2 kicks, 2.9 handballs, 12.1 disposals, 4.5 marks 1.1 goals

Source: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-214856.html

LostDoggy
26-11-2009, 08:40 PM
He looks big

Go_Dogs
26-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Sounds like a raw key forward prospect.

Throughandthrough
26-11-2009, 08:42 PM
same hairdresser as Jonathon Brown maybe.

bulldogtragic
26-11-2009, 08:42 PM
If he's 22yo, ex-Hawks. Perhaps he was sur[urflous to needs at FF???

BulldogBelle
26-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Brilliant pick IMO.

bulldogtragic
26-11-2009, 08:50 PM
ANyone seen him at VFL level???

hujsh
26-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Sportingpulse stats say

Lukas Markovic (Box Hill Hawks) 20 matches, 7 times in bests, 23 best total.

Doesn't list him as having any goals which is odd if he's a forward.

LostDoggy
26-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Hawthorn supporter i know said, Gun!!! Big body and aggressive.

Has really strong hands, and is great overhead.

hujsh
26-11-2009, 09:02 PM
TWO ON ONE with Alicia Muling (http://www.boxhillhawks.com.au/news-read.aspx?NewsId=289)
Thursday, 16 August 2007
This week we meet two players who were recruited from the Eastern Ranges, Lukas Markovic and Brad Neil.

Lukas Markovic was Rookied from the Eastern Ranges in the TAC Cup back in December 2005.

He was subsequently picked up from Hawthorn and was put on their rookie list in 2006. However, serious ankle problems saw him delisted and return to Box Hill this year.

At the beginning of season 2007, Markovic’s goals for the year included overcoming his ankle injury and having a successful return to playing the consistent footy which enabled him to be picked up by Hawthorn.

Markovic is a classy key position player with an excellent mark and superb defensive skills. Lukas’ goals in the near future are to continue playing to a high standard, hopefully resulting in a chance with Hawthorn, or at another AFL club.

In his spare time, Lukas loves a day body boarding at the beach and hanging out with his mates.

hujsh
26-11-2009, 09:07 PM
From what I've seen on BF i think he's a key defender.

Bumper Bulldogs
26-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Seems we are drafting to not bottom out after the exit of the older guys. Could we begin to have a tall forward line that will be the envy of all others.

divvydan
26-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Jazzadogs thread is from 2005, when he was a kid. He was rookied originally but has been playing as a tall defender at Box Hill in the last year.

LostDoggy
26-11-2009, 09:17 PM
So if he gets his body in good shape, we will have Williams, Boumann, Markovic & possibly Lake, as our tall backs in years to come.

Dry Rot
26-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Jazzadogs thread is from 2005, when he was a kid. He was rookied originally but has been playing as a[B] tall defender {/B]at Box Hill in the last year.

Aren't the Hawks short of them?

Wonder why they delisted him.

soupman
26-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Could be good insurance and maybe even oush for selection at CHB.

What does this mean for Jake Edwards, considering he was training for the key defender role I presume.

LostDoggy
26-11-2009, 09:21 PM

Looking from the outside in, maybe the ankles were the deciding factor for them.

Bumper Bulldogs
26-11-2009, 09:22 PM

Good point, It's not like they are ini-dated with talls down back, If Hodge falls over they are stuffed.

Dry Rot
26-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Good point, It's not like they are ini-dated with talls down back, If Hodge falls over they are stuffed.

They also could have picked him back up before our pick too.

divvydan
26-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Hawthorn let him go at the end of 2007 because of his injuries. He managed to play pretty much a full season in 2009 for Box Hill.

BulldogBelle
26-11-2009, 09:30 PM
He looks really promising. Strong grab - just watched him take an absolute screamer while searching around for info, played forward and back at Box Hill, Most Courageous Player 2008.....I'm really looking forward to seeing him play.

bulldogtragic
26-11-2009, 09:31 PM
According to sporting pulse, they rated LM as the 5th best player for all Box Hill players in 2009.

ledge
26-11-2009, 09:44 PM
You only get them 2 years as a rookie dont you and with bad ankles maybe they gave up, Our Docs must think his ankles are ok now.

divvydan
26-11-2009, 09:51 PM
That's true, certainly helps that he's been able to string games together and show that he can play.

Mantis
26-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Picked up as back-up for our defence to play on the bigger bodied (gorilla type) forwards.

Jasper
26-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Picked up as back-up for our defence to play on the bigger bodied (gorilla type) forwards.

Sounds like Marty Pask

Swoop
26-11-2009, 11:33 PM
I don't love the idea of picking up a 'back up' player, ideally when you recruit a player you want them to eventually develop into the sides best 22. Having said that the reality is a young tall skinny kid is 4 years away of having a serious impact at senior level and if Lake goes down next year unfortunately our season still has to roll on. With questions marks still hovering above Williams' ability to stay on the park I think this is a wise decision.

The other positive that I can take from this selection is, he isn't actually hindering anyone's development at Williamstown like Wight has previously. Boumann wouldn't really play on the 'gorilla' forwards and I think Mulligan still needs to prove his ability at VFL level but there's still a spot for him if he's good enough.

Twodogs
26-11-2009, 11:44 PM

Maybe it was the same reason they delisted Zac Dawson this time last year?

I dont rate Hawthorn footy department's judgement at all and I'm happy to take a punt on one of their delistees.

GVGjr
26-11-2009, 11:46 PM
I don't love the idea of picking up a 'back up' player, ideally when you recruit a player you want them to eventually develop into the sides best 22. Having said that the reality is a young tall skinny kid is 4 years away of having a serious impact at senior level and if Lake goes down next year unfortunately our season still has to roll on. With questions marks still hovering above Williams' ability to stay on the park I think this is a wise decision.

The other positive that I can take from this selection is, he isn't actually hindering anyone's development at Williamstown like Wight has previously. Boumann wouldn't really play on the 'gorilla' forwards and I think Mulligan still needs to prove his ability at VFL level but there's still a spot for him if he's good enough.

The likes of Pask, McDougall and Baird haven't quite worked out for us so whilst I understand why we went with a taller mature option is it really that much of an upgrade?

I'm also not sure how adding Markovic won't push some players back into the magoos much like Wight did. I wouldn't think we have recruited an older draftee just to play in the seconds. He will be playing in the seniors and someone will have to be dropped back.
At the very least he potentially keeps Mulligan in the 2nds.

DOG GOD
26-11-2009, 11:48 PM
I think it was a strange selection (Markovic) after we upgraded Mulligan.

GVGjr
26-11-2009, 11:55 PM
I think it was a strange selection (Markovic) after we upgraded Mulligan.

It's not the greatest endorsement of Mulligan's promotion. Obviously it was more about strategy.

Swoop
27-11-2009, 12:01 AM
I guess with Mulligan his promotion was handed to him on a platter due to the balance of our list as opposed to his own form so I am not too concerned that he will have to earn his stripes as he still unproven at VFL level.

With Markovic I guess he is proven at the VFL level and I assume the recruiting staff are confident that he can step into a role if Lake goes down. It does make you ask the question however why we did actually promote Mulligan in the first place.

GVGjr
27-11-2009, 12:17 AM
I guess with Mulligan his promotion was handed to him on a platter due to the balance of our list as opposed to his own form so I am not too concerned that he will have to earn his stripes as he still unproven at VFL level.

With Markovic I guess he is proven at the VFL level and I assume the recruiting staff are confident that he can step into a role if Lake goes down. It does make you ask the question however why we did actually promote Mulligan in the first place.

GC17. In two years Mulligan never got into the senior Williamstown side but was promoted rather than being maintained on the rookie list. (we had that new 3rd year option)

lemmon
27-11-2009, 12:28 AM
So from 'the only player capable of becoming a 100 goal a year full forward in this draft' to a 'backup defender to stand the gorillas' which is it? Forward or backmen?

The Bulldogs Bite
27-11-2009, 12:29 AM
So from 'the only player capable of becoming a 100 goal a year full forward in this draft' to a 'backup defender to stand the gorillas' which is it? Forward or backmen?

He's been recruited as a KPD suited to playing on the monsters (Kosi, Hawkins etc.)

boydogs
27-11-2009, 12:30 AM
GC17. In two years Mulligan never got into the senior Williamstown side but was promoted rather than being maintained on the rookie list. (we had that new 3rd year option)

Are you suggesting one of our KPD's might be pinched by GC17 or Mulligan himself?

Can Mulligan ruck? Wight's delisting and Williams' injuries plus a possible GC17 pickpocket probably justifies the addition of both Mulligan and Markovic, but if Mulligan can be a backup ruck for us with Shaw and Skipper gone that adds to the reasoning and explains why we didn't take a backup ruck in the draft.

If not, maybe we will get someone in the rookie draft? Markovic is meant to have a good leap but he seems a bit short for a ruck option, and not sure he is as mobile as Everitt to succeed in the Ryder mould ruck role

jazzadogs
27-11-2009, 01:41 AM
He's been recruited as a KPD suited to playing on the monsters (Kosi, Hawkins etc.)
Yeh, I apologise for the misleading post at the start. I was about to go out, but found that piece of info and chucked it on here...didn't check dates or anything like that.
Sorry for the confusion.

I would have thought that Markovic would be insurance for Williams. Although Mulligan has been promoted, they still might not think he's 100% capable of filling a role in the senior side. And given Tommy Gun's run with injuries, I can understand wanting a viable option to replace him in the backline if necessary.

GVGjr
27-11-2009, 07:18 AM
Are you suggesting one of our KPD's might be pinched by GC17 or Mulligan himself?

Can Mulligan ruck? Wight's delisting and Williams' injuries plus a possible GC17 pickpocket probably justifies the addition of both Mulligan and Markovic, but if Mulligan can be a backup ruck for us with Shaw and Skipper gone that adds to the reasoning and explains why we didn't take a backup ruck in the draft.

If not, maybe we will get someone in the rookie draft? Markovic is meant to have a good leap but he seems a bit short for a ruck option, and not sure he is as mobile as Everitt to succeed in the Ryder mould ruck role

I'm suggesting that Mulligan was promoted to minimise the threat of GC17 poaching him or luring him back to Qld.

I'm not sure that Mulligan can ruck and he's certainly regarded more as a defender.

The Doctor
27-11-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm suggesting that Mulligan was promoted to minimise the threat of GC17 poaching him or luring him back to Qld.

I'm not sure that Mulligan can ruck and he's certainly regarded more as a defender.

I would argue that Mulligan was promoted to be the young developing CHB on our list rather than kept for the fear of a GC raid. Basically he has taken O'Shea's place on the list.

Markovic is more for now and effectively replaces Wight.

Shea and Wight were both late speculative picks in their respective drafts and for all I know neither of them were picked on ability as neither demonstated much at junior level. They were picked on the basis of being tall and athetic. At the least the new boys have earned their stripes.

Mofra
27-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Shea and Wight were both late speculative picks in their respective drafts and for all I know neither of them were picked on ability as neither demonstated much at junior level. They were picked on the basis of being tall and athetic. At the least the new boys have earned their stripes.
Agree. Boumann is some way off and Mulligan is raw so we really had no CHB back-up at all for Williams' missing 15 games per year.
The guy could play this year and release Morris & Shaggy to play on smaller types, also possibly prolonging their careers.

bornadog
27-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Agree. Boumann is some way off and Mulligan is raw so we really had no CHB back-up at all for Williams' missing 15 games per year.
The guy could play this year and release Morris & Shaggy to play on smaller types, also possibly prolonging their careers.

Hawthorn have a small backline and Croad will probably never play again. Why have the Hawks let this bloke go?

The Coon Dog
27-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Hawthorn have a small backline and Croad will probably never play again. Why have the Hawks let this bloke go?

He was let go a while back now, had problems relating to his broken ankle.

mighty_west
27-11-2009, 01:34 PM
I like the selection of Lukas, i haven't seen him play, but a ready made player that could come in at any stage, right now sort of thing, the footy department obvously rated him alot higher than the likes of Wight & O'Shae & Boumann is still a bit raw.

In a supposed shallow draft, good to see us going for a few more mature ready made types, and going by alot of other more mature rookies, you know they'll have that hunger perhaps alot of 18 year olds don't have.

mighty_west
27-11-2009, 01:36 PM

For all we know, the Hawks could have had him in their plans, but we swooped, it was a very suprising selection afterall.

They may have had him down as a rookie selection, being 22 years of age, and under the mature rookie list.

Sedat
27-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Quick note from a mate of mine who used to be involved with Eastern Rangers when Markovic was there:

"In a TAC final, Markovic kicked 5 goals from CHF and was absolutely dominating the final before snapping his ankle just before half time - was a shoe-in to get drafted before his injury. Has a sensational pair of hands. Is a ripper kid - wrapped for him"

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 01:40 PM
My husband's a Box Hill member - thinks he may have been co captain this year. I'm happy with a tall with VFL experience. :)

GVGjr
27-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Shea and Wight were both late speculative picks in their respective drafts and for all I know neither of them were picked on ability as neither demonstated much at junior level. They were picked on the basis of being tall and athetic.

Mulligans has shown little on the field and his promotion seems right in line with the tall and athletic requirements.

GVGjr
27-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Quick note from a mate of mine who used to be involved with Eastern Rangers when Markovic was there:

"In a TAC final, Markovic kicked 5 goals from CHF and was absolutely dominating the final before snapping his ankle just before half time - was a shoe-in to get drafted before his injury. Has a sensational pair of hands. Is a ripper kid - wrapped for him"

I was there that day. It was a terrible injury and he was going very well until injured.

The Doctor
27-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Mulligans has shown little on the field and his promotion seems right in line with the tall and athletic requirements.

To a certain extent. The difference is he has played better football at a comparitive age and has been able to make the list when our tall stocks are reasonably healthy. I'm sure O'sHEA only got plucked out out of a suburban park. Not sure why Wight got picked and arguably held on for so long when there wasn't much else.

BulldogBelle
27-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Lukas seems to have the size to play on the monster forwards + resting ruckmen, in a negating role, hence freeing up Lake + Morris more creative roles

Hopefully he knows this is his last shot at an AFL career and makes the most of it

BRING IT ON
28-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Tommy Williams is on his last chance to cement the CHB role the Club need him to grab with both hands but the poor bugger just can't take a trick , Lucas was recruited as a mature age mature body to the fill the void if Tommy Gun breaks down again. CHB has been a problem for us , we have been able to compensate with good skills and players with good foot speed , Jarrod Harbrow was a revelation as a band aid to close up the space at CHB and Rocket's use of Scott Welsh showed his mindset leading to the Finals's , a bigger body with good height ,strong hands and skills on both sides was needed when the Welshman pulled the pin, Lucas was Co-Captain at Box Hill and several times had 20 possession games as far as I know he's injury free and I expect to see him play in NAB pre season games

LostDoggy
28-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Article in today's Age talking about the top 4 sides picking up recycled players, we seem to have gone for the next best strategy and picked up players who have mature bodies and mature footy experience. Strategy we had to have due to our salary cap restrictions.

Now that I have had time to digest it, it would appear a very smart move.

chef
28-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Tommy Williams is on his last chance to cement the CHB role the Club need him to grab with both hands but the poor bugger just can't take a trick , Lucas was recruited as a mature age mature body to the fill the void if Tommy Gun breaks down again. CHB has been a problem for us , we have been able to compensate with good skills and players with good foot speed , Jarrod Harbrow was a revelation as a band aid to close up the space at CHB and Rocket's use of Scott Welsh showed his mindset leading to the Finals's , a bigger body with good height ,strong hands and skills on both sides was needed when the Welshman pulled the pin, Lucas was Co-Captain at Box Hill and several times had 20 possession games as far as I know he's injury free and I expect to see him play in NAB pre season games

I doubt he is on his last chance(got a two year contract this year)>

MrMahatma
30-11-2009, 12:34 AM
I don't know why more clubs don't pick up talls in their 20s. It takes them until then to develop, so being drafted late as a tall doesn't really mean you've lost any time in the top flight. Cordy probably won't play much before he's 21 or so.

Mofra
30-11-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't know why more clubs don't pick up talls in their 20s. It takes them until then to develop, so being drafted late as a tall doesn't really mean you've lost any time in the top flight. Cordy probably won't play much before he's 21 or so.
Peter Foster was well into his 20s before he was a regular player at the highest level, and he was one of the best CHBs I've seen in a Bulldog jumper.

Twodogs
30-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Peter Foster was well into his 20s before he was a regular player at the highest level, and he was one of the best CHBs I've seen in a Bulldog jumper.

Make that any jumper Mof. Fossie was one of the best-easily at the same level of class that Chris Mew and Glen Jakovich had. Great set of hands, thumping left foot kick and as hard as a cat's head. If Markovic can be half as good as Fossie we have ourselves a bargain.

Twodogs
30-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Lukas seems to have the size to play on the monster forwards + resting ruckmen, in a negating role, hence freeing up Lake + Morris more creative roles

Hopefully he knows this is his last shot at an AFL career and makes the most of it

This is important too. Clubs have gone back to the future and are more likely to rest ruckmen in the forward line rather than on the bench. Even if Markovic cant take the resting ruckman at least he can be more of a presence in contests and Shaggy and Morris arent trying to outmark/spoil players who are 10 cms taller and 15 kilos heavier.

mjp
30-11-2009, 08:25 PM
This is important too. Clubs have gone back to the future and are more likely to rest ruckmen in the forward line rather than on the bench. Even if Markovic cant take the resting ruckman at least he can be more of a presence in contests and Shaggy and Morris arent trying to outmark/spoil players who are 10 cms taller and 15 kilos heavier.

Well...I am not sure I agree with this though - sticking an extra tall down forward oftentimes LOOKS dangerous - but mostly leads to absolutely nothing. The number of times a resting ruckman takes a mark inside 20m in a season can be counted on one hand. I vote we play Harbrow on them and tell him to run, run and run some more. I bet you the opposition coach blinks first and makes the move.

BRING IT ON
30-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Where Lucas is going to the most useful will be as a tall, strong marking, target for Gilbee at the top of the fifty in the centre corridor , the opposition will either have the CHF move up to contest or move a ruckman to spoil/mark , the options then open up , Harbrow lurking for the spoil , Griffin linking with a handpass, or a midfielder leading for the pass.

Mofra
30-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Well...I am not sure I agree with this though - sticking an extra tall down forward oftentimes LOOKS dangerous - but mostly leads to absolutely nothing. The number of times a resting ruckman takes a mark inside 20m in a season can be counted on one hand. I vote we play Harbrow on them and tell him to run, run and run some more. I bet you the opposition coach blinks first and makes the move.
Matches Eade's philiosophy in 06 - Gilbee was the only player on our list that year to play on an opposition ruckman from every other team that year.

Rocco Jones
30-11-2009, 11:33 PM

So very true mjp.

A 'resting ruckman' up forward really conflicts with how a quality modern side goes forward. I am totally up for playing a Gilbee/Harbrow on them.

Dry Rot
30-11-2009, 11:48 PM
So very true mjp.

A 'resting ruckman' up forward really conflicts with how a quality modern side goes forward. I am totally up for playing a Gilbee/Harbrow on them.

Does it depend upon what that ruckman might be? Agree with this re most ruckmen, but Ottens, Gardiner and Jolly might be exceptions.

Max469
01-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Lukas is really pumped about playing for us.

He has a great set of hands, lacks a little pace but is going to make Tommy fight for that spot.

I work with his cousin and he told him that he is going to take this chance of a life time and run with it.

mjp
01-12-2009, 02:36 AM
Does it depend upon what that ruckman might be? Agree with this re most ruckmen, but Ottens, Gardiner and Jolly might be exceptions.

Playing Gardiner at ff cost West Coast a grand final. Jolly got a couple of 3 goal bags - yeah, OK. I guess Ottens has done it a couple more times but not too often.

Nope - no matter what they do I'm rolling the dice - 9 times out of 10 they just wont mark it...they look dangerous, but contested marks are rare. Most marks inside 50m are on the lead.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-12-2009, 03:13 AM
Without having seen Markovic play, can we fit both he and Lake in the same side? I doubt it.

Both play on the gorilla forwards and aren't suited to the likes of Riewoldt, Franklin and Petrie.

I don't think we could afford two slower types, especially as Brian tends to blow up whenever he plays outside of FB.

CHB is our problem and Markovic doesn't seem to offer us anything there unless he can improve his pace. For mine, he's back-up to Lake unless he can carve out a new role. (FF?)

Mofra
01-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Without having seen Markovic play, can we fit both he and Lake in the same side? I doubt it.

Both play on the gorilla forwards and aren't suited to the likes of Riewoldt, Franklin and Petrie.

Lake played on Franklin last time we played Hawthorn, with Morris taking Roughead. Markovic sounds like a better Roughead match-up.

When we played St Kilda we rotated on Riewoldt - Marcovic on Kosi, Lake & Morris to rotate on Riewoldt.
Petrie - Lake is a better match up anyway, and if they play Hale as a forward than he'd be too big for Morris.

Markvic may just give us an edge in flexibility the helps our defensive rebound - Morris & Shaggy both go down one peg in the order of defenders, with Gilbee & Harbrow providing run when they can.

LostDoggy
01-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Does Markovic = Williams?

mighty_west
01-12-2009, 12:08 PM

Hard to say yet, but with Markovic lacking the pace, but seems to have the footy smarts, where's Williams is really an athlete still learning the game.

I haven't seen Makovic play, but he seems a more Presti type, your no noncence type that will place close to his opponent, which in effect, could release Lake to play a more attacking game.

But he could very well be fighting Williams for that position.

Twodogs
01-12-2009, 01:24 PM

Maybe. I still get traumitised when I look at the match ups and see Morris/Shaggy lining up on Petrie though and I see Markovic as a decent option to line up on players like him.

Swoop
01-12-2009, 01:57 PM
As long as we don't match up Rohan Smith on Matthew Robran ever again I will manage.

Twodogs
01-12-2009, 10:39 PM
As long as we don't match up Rohan Smith on Matthew Robran ever again I will manage.

I cant remember who played on him in the '94 semi final but David Schwartz got 27 touches at CHF against us. proper possies too-mostly contested and none from sideway kicks to eat up time.

Rocco Jones
01-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Maybe. I still get traumitised when I look at the match ups and see Morris/Shaggy lining up on Petrie though and I see Markovic as a decent option to line up on players like him.

The difference is that Petrie is actually dangerous not just a resting ruckman.

The Underdog
02-12-2009, 12:27 AM

Dunno, is he on the rowing machine yet and unable to run?
Until he's injured he's no Tom Williams.

Saint
02-12-2009, 07:42 AM
I don't know where the talk has come with Lukas being more suited to "gorilla" forwards. I wouldn't describe him as slow at all for someone his size and has a good speed and aerobic capacity. I can guarantee you that know one has worked harder than Lukas in the past couple of years in becoming the best footballer he can be. I'm a Saint's supporter and seeing what Dawson was able to do this year has to give the Bulldogs supporters great hope for Lukas. It's pretty much the same situation, although Lukas was rated high enough to get a full contract where as Dawson was originally signed as a rookie. Know one has kicked the football more with Lukas than myself, he's my best mate and I couldn't be prouder of the big fella!

The Coon Dog
02-12-2009, 08:36 AM
I don't know where the talk has come with Lukas being more suited to "gorilla" forwards. I wouldn't describe him as slow at all

Hi Saint & welcome to WOOF.

Always nice when a friend is able to get an opportunity such as this.

In relation to the above, at the draft I was sitting directly infront of many of the staff from the TAC Cup teams, who commented that Lukas wasn't real quick.

Later when talking with our recruiting staff they confirmed that he wasn't quick at all, but played smart & cut down the angles.

They also confirmed that he could play on the likes of Hawkins & Kosi.

Mofra
02-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Later when talking with our recruiting staff they confirmed that he wasn't quick at all, but played smart & cut down the angles.

They also confirmed that he could play on the likes of Hawkins & Kosi.
Happy with both of those summaries. We definately need a CHB back-up for Williams, and I'd prefer we didn't shorten Morris' career to do so.

Saint
02-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Obviously the scouts will know a bit more than me but for his size I'd still say he'd be at least average in regards to pace. It was a long time ago but here's a random fact...haha...He went to state for hurdles in grade six!

Twodogs
02-12-2009, 11:06 AM
haha...He went to state for hurdles in grade six!

Sorry mate but I cant work out what you mean. Did you mean to say that he won the state title for hurdles in grade 6? Do you happen to know what his time was?

The Bulldogs Bite
02-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Happy with both of those summaries. We definately need a CHB back-up for Williams, and I'd prefer we didn't shorten Morris' career to do so.

CHB's need to be quick and agile, though. This is why there's so much hope and expectation put on Williams. He's got the tools to match it with Riewoldt, Franklin and alike.

Lake has played on Franklin and beaten him before but he hasn't got a big tank. This is why Lake tends to play on the 'stay at home' forwards as he's able to read the play and work off them. Against Franklin and Riewoldt, your role is negate them. Lake's more of a creative type because he prefers to mark than spoil.

It'd be great if Markovic could fill the CHB role but from all reports it doesn't sound like he's got the mobility. Not sure you can really have two FB's in the one team either.

LongWait
02-12-2009, 05:28 PM
CHB's need to be quick and agile, though. This is why there's so much hope and expectation put on Williams. He's got the tools to match it with Riewoldt, Franklin and alike.

Lake has played on Franklin and beaten him before but he hasn't got a big tank. This is why Lake tends to play on the 'stay at home' forwards as he's able to read the play and work off them. Against Franklin and Riewoldt, your role is negate them. Lake's more of a creative type because he prefers to mark than spoil.

It'd be great if Markovic could fill the CHB role but from all reports it doesn't sound like he's got the mobility. Not sure you can really have two FB's in the one team either.

A mate of mine who knows the Hawthorn and Box Hill lists well is filthy on the Hawks not re-drafting Markovic. According to him, Lucas showed early signs of being a gun CHF before his ankle break. If he can play CHF he can presumably also play CHB, being a fairly big unit. Maybe not the best match-up for a Bob Murphy type CHF but can play on the bigger bodied types I'd suggest.

Dry Rot
02-12-2009, 05:37 PM
I don't know where the talk has come with Lukas being more suited to "gorilla" forwards. I wouldn't describe him as slow at all for someone his size and has a good speed and aerobic capacity. I can guarantee you that know one has worked harder than Lukas in the past couple of years in becoming the best footballer he can be. I'm a Saint's supporter and seeing what Dawson was able to do this year has to give the Bulldogs supporters great hope for Lukas. It's pretty much the same situation, although Lukas was rated high enough to get a full contract where as Dawson was originally signed as a rookie. Know one has kicked the football more with Lukas than myself, he's my best mate and I couldn't be prouder of the big fella!

Did Markovic play FB or CHB for Box Hill?

The Bulldogs Bite
02-12-2009, 05:53 PM
A mate of mine who knows the Hawthorn and Box Hill lists well is filthy on the Hawks not re-drafting Markovic. According to him, Lucas showed early signs of being a gun CHF before his ankle break. If he can play CHF he can presumably also play CHB, being a fairly big unit. Maybe not the best match-up for a Bob Murphy type CHF but can play on the bigger bodied types I'd suggest.

As a forward you can afford to lack a yard of pace because you're leading and dictating terms. You get the first opportunity to read the play/begin moving in a direction. As a backman and especially as a CHB, if you lack a yard of pace you'll be beaten every time. I think this is probably where the problem lies for Markovic in that he doesn't have that acceleration to keep up with the CHFs. The good CHFs make constant leads too, so he'd be found out if he isn't quick enough.

When we spoke to the recruiters at the draft and the recruiters behind us, both indicated he's very strong and good in the contests. They said he struggles following on the lead though which is why we thought he'd be able to play on the likes of Hawkins and Kosi. If this is the case, he's really only back-up to Lake unless we can get Brian fitter to find a modified role for him.

I guess we'll find out soon anyway. There's mixed reports on his pace/ability to play as a CHB so the proof will be when the practice games roll around.

stefoid
03-12-2009, 11:36 AM
There is basically hardly anyone who could keep up with Riewolt and Franklin for a combination of speed and endurance and height. thats why they are as good as they are, but for someone like J.Brown, Treadrea, etc.. Absolute speed isnt as crucial. Maybe Markovic can play on those guys.

I reckon coaches these days think it is the entire teams job to stop the easy lead into space and uncontested mark with defender trailing helpessly behind. Any forward worth his salt is going to be unstopable in that situation.

Its the long target where the ball comes in high to a contested situation that Lake is brilliant at, he will punch it or if one out these days he will even mark it.

So if Lake goes down, we now have a plan B that doesnt involve Morris/Shaggy playing out of position. thumbs up. If Williams remains perenially injured, he can slot in there also. double thumbs up.

LongWait
03-12-2009, 05:15 PM
There is basically hardly anyone who could keep up with Riewolt and Franklin for a combination of speed and endurance and height. thats why they are as good as they are, but for someone like J.Brown, Treadrea, etc.. Absolute speed isnt as crucial. Maybe Markovic can play on those guys.

I reckon coaches these days think it is the entire teams job to stop the easy lead into space and uncontested mark with defender trailing helpessly behind. Any forward worth his salt is going to be unstopable in that situation.

Its the long target where the ball comes in high to a contested situation that Lake is brilliant at, he will punch it or if one out these days he will even mark it.

So if Lake goes down, we now have a plan B that doesnt involve Morris/Shaggy playing out of position. thumbs up. If Williams remains perenially injured, he can slot in there also. double thumbs up.

Spot on Stefoid!

ratsmac
03-12-2009, 08:39 PM
It sounds like they will use Markovic when match ups are an issue, meaning that when we play teams like Brisbane and St kilda that have two big forwards, he will play then and only then. It will take pressure off of Williams and hense minimise the risk of injury through fatigue. The more I think about the Markovic selection, the more I like it.

Rocco Jones
03-12-2009, 09:39 PM

I agree with you about his ideal match ups.

I don't see Markovic as a back up for Lake but actually competing with Williams to play on dangerous traditional power forwards which will free up Lake to expose the opposition's weaker KP forward.

BRING IT ON
05-12-2009, 09:48 AM
As I said before the most important contribution Lucas brings is as a tall, strong marking target on the kick in , and the counter attack at the top of of the 50 , this straightens our attack , and as I said this forces the opposition to either move the CHF up the ground to contest the ball or move a ruckman to spoil , this brings Harbrow in for the spoil , Griffin to link with a handpass , or a midfielder to lead for the pass. Several times Rocket used Welsh in the same role leading into and during the finals, but he just was'nt quite tall enough to have the impact that Rocket wanted, I seem to remember several costly turnover's from spoils, now on the broken play with the opposition sliding the defence to cutoff the counter attack he provided a good contest on mixed opponents and straightened the attack. Now if Williams can stay fit , his body size and agility should see him earmarked for the role but it will be his kicking efficiency the will be scrutinized , if he can keep his kicking efficiency to about 65% plus, he will play, if Markovic can be fit enough for AFL level , his skills on both sides of body and good kicking will see him either coming off the bench or forcing William's to the bench, depending on form. The third player in the mix is Barry Hall, I expect to see him a lot on the top of the defensive 50 as Minson has a rotation in the goal square, if Lucas is playing then Rocket will most likely then use him as a link player at high HF, this 3 player rotation will give the opposition coach a few problems, does the full-back follow Bad Barry , does the CHB move to cover Big Will or up the ground to cover Markovic.

Im looking forward to seeing Lucas play, I believe he is a very smart choice and will make a contribution in 2010.

strebla
05-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Or we could just play him at FB and play Lake at CHF

AndrewP6
05-12-2009, 07:29 PM
The third player in the mix is Barry Hall, I expect to see him a lot on the top of the defensive 50 as Minson has a rotation in the goal square

BAZZA in the backline? Not sure I'd move him just to rotate Will into the forward line.

Bulldog Revolution
05-12-2009, 08:15 PM
As I said before the most important contribution Lucas brings is as a tall, strong marking target on the kick in , and the counter attack at the top of of the 50 , this straightens our attack...

It has been a while since we've had a great marking target on the 50 metre arc for the long contested kickout, with neither of our ruckman great targets, but I wonder how much is that still a part of the modern game? but I guess it comes to the fore more in finals

If Markovic has great hands and can run I think he will get opportunities. Do we know what his skills by foot are like?

strebla
05-12-2009, 09:03 PM
BAZZA in the backline? Not sure I'd move him just to rotate Will into the forward line.

Andrew I was meaning Markovic to FB not Barry not sure if you were extacting urine in your post:D

AndrewP6
05-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Andrew I was meaning Markovic to FB not Barry not sure if you were extacting urine in your post:D

Phew... no, not taking the piss... I'm just a bit dopey! :)

Pedro Sanchez
06-12-2009, 12:51 AM
May be a little left field - but by reading the majority of posts of thoses that have seen this bloke play, it sounds smack bang of a Nathan Saudners type. Strong body, great hands and a long pentrating kick - just a tad slow...

Those that have seen both play - is this a fair comparison?

GVGjr
06-12-2009, 03:55 PM
May be a little left field - but by reading the majority of posts of thoses that have seen this bloke play, it sounds smack bang of a Nathan Saudners type. Strong body, great hands and a long pentrating kick - just a tad slow...

Sounds like a fair comparison.

Twodogs
06-12-2009, 06:00 PM

Sounds like a fair comparison.

He sounds we hope that Lukas will be one of Rocco Jone's ekers. Not overly spectucular at any one thing but still might eke out a reasonable career.

Studentlib
02-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Where is he at the moment? With Williams and Boumann not playing last Friday there appeared to be a window for him to show what he's got at CHB? Is he injured or not in the match committee's planning at the moment?

GVGjr
02-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Where is he at the moment? With Williams and Boumann not playing last Friday there appeared to be a window for him to show what he's got at CHB? Is he injured or not in the match committee's planning at the moment?

I think he lacks a step of pace to be played in the backline but that is just my assessment. I think he is right to play so it's a match committee decision.

Before I Die
07-03-2010, 02:18 PM
I think he lacks a step of pace to be played in the backline but that is just my assessment. I think he is right to play so it's a match committee decision.

If he is fit, I am very surprised he wasn't given a run in the NAB cup early rounds. As a mature age recruit for the CHB position (and having had a very strong 2009 in the VFL in this position) he would seem to be first in line if Williams is unavailable. Perhaps the coaching staff are confident they know what they will get from him and were more interested in investigating the unknown with Boumann and Mulligan.

I guess we will learn more when the Williamstown practice matches commence.

mighty_west
07-03-2010, 02:37 PM
If he is fit, I am very surprised he wasn't given a run in the NAB cup early rounds. As a mature age recruit for the CHB position (and having had a very strong 2009 in the VFL in this position) he would seem to be first in line if Williams is unavailable. Perhaps the coaching staff are confident they know what they will get from him and were more interested in investigating the unknown with Boumann and Mulligan.

I guess we will learn more when the Williamstown practice matches commence.

Thats what i've been thinking as well, however, you would think the mature aged recruit who is most likely recruited as a depth / back up player would have been given game time, just like Moles was given, thats why i was suprised both Markovic & Pat Rose were not given game time thus far.

Moles has passed the first test with flying colours, Marko & Rose were not given that same opportunity, Mulligan looks as though he is a long way back still, and Boumann let himself down, he could have also given his career a good ol kick start, just like Moles has done.

AndrewP6
07-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Thats what i've been thinking as well, however, you would think the mature aged recruit who is most likely recruited as a depth / back up player would have been given game time, just like Moles was given, thats why i was suprised both Markovic & Pat Rose were not given game time thus far.

Moles has passed the first test with flying colours, Marko & Rose were not given that same opportunity, Mulligan looks as though he is a long way back still, and Boumann let himself down, he could have also given his career a good ol kick start, just like Moles has done.

Agreed, I was kind of looking forward to a glimpse of these two, to see what they might offer.

Before I Die
06-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Moonlighting: Lukas Markovic

Article on Lukas Markovic and his volunteer work with juvenile offenders.

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/91568/default.aspx)