PDA

View Full Version : Pick 76 Shane "Mr Magic" Thorne

LostDoggy
26-11-2009, 08:52 PM
http://www.ntnews.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2009/11/11/Thorne.jpg

Turned 23 years old today, a NT boy.

G-Mo77
26-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Also drafted a 22 year old with Markovic. Interesting.

Rocco Jones
26-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Also drafted a 22 year old with Markovic. Interesting.

Jetta was close to being ours as well.

BulldogBelle
26-11-2009, 09:01 PM
I honestly thought we drafted fairly old, is this to soften the blow of having vets leave us soon and having built players in the 24 - 26 year old range?

Bumper Bulldogs
26-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Could be but I would think that over the next two years the good kids are off limits so this could be a stop fill until 2013 when the draft evens out to a level playing field.

LostDoggy
26-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Anyone know how tall he is?

Studentlib
26-11-2009, 09:16 PM
183 cm originally from Fremantle. Pies had spoken with him as well as Dogs. Favourite food is roo. Source is player profile at NT Thunder.

bulldogsman
26-11-2009, 09:34 PM
What is he a small forward?

bulldogtragic
26-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Average's a goal and goal assist a game from the HFF.

#23 Shane Thorne
Sponsored by

Height: 183cm

Hometown: Fremantle

Recruited from: Wanderers Football Club (NTFL)

Position: Half Forward / Wing

Favourite Food: Kangaroo

Favourite Movie/TV Show: Two and a Half Men.

Favourite Quote: Get Out.

What does it mean to you to play for the NT Thunder? It creates many opportunities and a great learning experience.

bulldogtragic
26-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Finished 6th in the B7F for his side and won the Southern Cross Award for most improved player in 2009.

Dry Rot
26-11-2009, 09:41 PM
My best guess is that he has played in a pretty tough league.

If he can stand up to the speed, endurance and higher skills of AFL, then he could be ready to go in 2010.

Dunno what position the club has in mind for him.

bulldogtragic
26-11-2009, 09:43 PM
My best guess is that he has played in a pretty tough league.

If he can stand up to the speed, endurance and higher skills of AFL, then he could be ready to go in 2010.

Dunno what position the club has in mind for him.
With Malcolm gone and Hill the ability to go further up the ground. Perhaps forward, maybe even crumbing. Or a longer term replacement for Harbrow as Harbrow can be dangerous forward. Ah who knows...

Mofra
26-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Finished 6th in the B7F for his side and won the Southern Cross Award for most improved player in 2009.
I think I've identified our recruiting trend right there. Select not the best player, but the player improving at the most rapid rate.

No wonder the armchair experts will call our picks bolters - they can't have watched our new boys as closely as professional recruiters have.

Swoop
26-11-2009, 11:44 PM
It's good to know we're searching far and wide in order to find the best talent available.

What are people's thoughts on Dalrymple following a similar path to his predecessor Scott Clayton? i.e smokies

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 09:42 AM
http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2009/11/27/104341_ntsport.html

Thorne happy to be a Bulldog

GREY MORRIS

November 27th, 2009

Shane thorne is congratulated by friends and family.

WANDERERS utility Shane Thorne broke down and cried when the Western Bulldogs picked him at No. 76 in the AFL National Draft.

A day after his 23rd birthday Thorne got his greatest wish in life - a chance to play AFL football.

"I've got to admit I cried a fair bit and it shook me up a lot, it's going to change my life," Thorne said.

"The Bulldogs told me there were no definites at draft time and as the numbers wound up to the 60s and 70s I started thinking the worst.

"Liam Patrick was supposed to be a chance in the mid 30s and when he didn't get a club I thought I'd go the same way.

"Right now I'm rapt, it's a great result for myself and my family and the people who supported me for so many years at Wanderers and the coaching staff at NT Thunder."

Thorne will fly to Melbourne on Sunday to meet his new teammates and train under coach Rodney Eade.

Wanderers president Steve Olsson said Thorne's dedication and terrific season with Territory Thunder in the QAFL competition had all contributed to his drafting.

"Shane deserves everything he gets. He nearly gave footy away two years ago to become a family man and now he's going to be on the greatest football stage in Australia," Olsson said.

Darwin fans could see him in a Bulldogs jumper as early as mid-June when the Dogs play Port Adelaide in a premiership match at TIO Stadium.

Mofra
27-11-2009, 10:55 AM
"I've got to admit I cried a fair bit and it shook me up a lot, it's going to change my life," Thorne said.
For some reason, I really like this. I haven't heard of other draftees moved to tears when they get a shot.
Hopefully it indicates that the guy really wants to make the most of his opportunity.

Bulldog Revolution
27-11-2009, 11:02 AM
It's a great feel good story

The picture of the family and friends is terrific and shows the joy experience when someone makes it - or at least gets an opportunity to make it

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 11:21 AM
I usually pick a guy every year and watch them throughout the season when i can...Shanes my man for next year...

bornadog
27-11-2009, 11:36 AM
For some reason, I really like this. I haven't heard of other draftees moved to tears when they get a shot.
Hopefully it indicates that the guy really wants to make the most of his opportunity.

He has been given a chance at the age of 23 and I think he is going to train hard and make the best of his opportunity. Compare that to a raw 18 year old who thinks he is soooo good but never works hard enough to make it. (ala ocker)

There have been some good reports on Thorne, and he has changed his attitude from the days when he got into a little trouble.

I am looking forward to seeing what he has to offer.

EasternWest
27-11-2009, 01:26 PM

I agree. It's not like he's your typical high draft pick with the pre-prepared speech. IMO a guy who reacts like this is a good thing, being drafted means the world to him, and hopefully his efforts reflect that.

mighty_west
27-11-2009, 01:29 PM

I must admit i felt the same way, some kids are a bit blase about it all, it obviously means so much for him to get a chance, at 23, you wouldn't blame him for thinking he'd never get the oportunities he now has.

I wonder if he will be fighting for the same spot as Stack, at 23, you wouldn't think he'd need the 2,3 or 4 years alot of kids need to take.

Sedat
27-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Looks as though we made a deliberate strategic decision to place Eagle on the vet's list (something we originally weren't going to do) in order to have the extra pick in the ND. I love the passion and emotion that Thorne has displayed with getting the opportunity to fulfil his dreams, and I really look forward to seeing him in action next season.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Really looking forward to seeing what Thorne can do on the track and down at Williamstown next year. He should fit in well with the likes of Harbrow and Stack already having a few years in the system, and of course Aker, who has been a father figure to the Indigenous boys.

Good luck to the guy.

strebla
28-11-2009, 01:53 AM
Can I smell the mothballs of the number 51 jumper being shaken out??

BRING IT ON
28-11-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing Shane " Mr Magic " Thorne working in tandem with Josh " Sticky " Hill , two good running wing/ high half forwards kicking 30 goals a year, bring it on

Go_Dogs
28-11-2009, 11:16 AM
So where do others see Mr Magic playing next year? Half back seems to be his preferred position, so does his recruitment offer Harbrow an opportunity to move back into the forward half in 2010?

LostDoggy
28-11-2009, 11:17 AM
So where do others see Mr Magic playing next year? Half back seems to be his preferred position, so does his recruitment offer Harbrow an opportunity to move back into the forward half in 2010?

I believe he will be playing up forward for us, after hearing people talk about him & also Rocket on the radio yesterday.

GVGjr
28-11-2009, 11:21 AM

Really hard to gauge where Thorne will play. Assuming he will be playing for Williamstown seniors he has a few guys like Wood, Callan and maybe Addison occupying the back flank and pocket roles but it sounds like it would be his best position.

Harbrow to the forward line might create some opportunities for Thorne and others but I'd question which of our smaller forwards Harbrow would dislodge.

BulldogBelle
28-11-2009, 11:22 AM
With only one preseason behind him, and at his age am I the only one bracing myself for the fact that he may struggle to get even one game this year?

We were very subdued in the way we played our depth last year. Only when forced to. So unless our prerogative changes and we rest more players... and you couldn't really see Picken on the sidelines terribly much at this stage, but that obviously might change.

And also Eagleton will have to have less games to free up one depth spot occasionally.

I felt really bad when his family were quoted for saying "now he's going to be on the greatest football stage in Australia" because that chance will probably open up more in the next years than now.

Well I hope all of our recruits including Mr Magic don't give up hope like Stacky was extremely close to, is all I'm saying.

Go_Dogs
28-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Really hard to gauge where Thorne will play. Assuming he will be playing for Williamstown seniors he has a few guys like Wood, Callan and maybe Addison occupying the back flankers flank and pocket role but it sounds like it would be his best position.

Harbrow to the forward line might create some opportunities for Thorne and others but I'd question which of our smaller forwards Harbrow would dislodge.

Hmm, interesting. Sounds like a good problem to have.

FWIW I'd prefer to keep Harbrow in the back half as his effectiveness is much better - as a forward he never really impacted on the scoreboard and I'm not convinced he'd make a great crumbing player so there probably isn't a spot in the forward line.

Will be interesting to see how we go about developing these new recruits.

comrade
28-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Harbrow should stay in the backline - his drive and unpredictability is crucial.

Knowing Williamstown's deficiencies and reading about Thorne (poor man's Jetta), I'd play him up the ground on a wing and see what his ball winning ability is like. The Seagulls midfield was treacle-slow by the end of the year, so an injection of pace and flair will be very handy.

jazzadogs
28-11-2009, 07:41 PM
From the NT Thunder member's newsletter...not much new information, but thought it was worth sharing.

"THORNE A SUPERB RESULT FOR NT THUNDER

After the 2009 NAB National Draft the Northern Territory had three draftees come from its ranks and should expect more to go in the Rookie Draft in two weeks time.

Of the three drafted last night, two came from the AFL Northern Territory State Academy Program namely Anthony Long (Essendon) and Troy Taylor (Richmond) and the more notable draft choice of Shane Thorne (Western Bulldogs) came from the NT Thunder State League team after it’s inaugural season in the QAFL.

"AFL NT and the Northern Territory Football Club are extremely pleased with the outcome so early in the piece," said NT Thunder CEO Stuart Totham.

"This was an objective for two or three years down the track, once the club was established and had grounding, but to get a draftee this early in the piece is fantastic for Territory footy."

Thorne, who is known as an x-factor among his team mates from the Wanderers Football Club as well as the NT Thunder has pace to burn and agility to match with superb kicking skills.

After finishing 6th in the NT Thunder best and fairest for 2009 and named the Most Improved player on the list, Thorne has earned his stripes and deserves this chance after nearly giving away football to become a family man after the birth of his daughter two years ago.

"NT Thunder has provided Shane with another opportunity to play AFL football, he was nearly lost to the system and now we have an avenue for mature players like him to prove their wares in the QAFL as another avenue to the AFL," said Totham.

Murray Davis, now the Head Coach of the NT Thunder, has seen first hand the effect and the diligence that Thorne has put into his game and stresses this is only the start and opportunities for Thunder players are going to come thick and fast after a very impressive first year.

Davis said "It’s really pleasing to see Shane get an opportunity with the Bulldogs. I’m sure he realises there is a lot of hard work ahead of him. It’s been testament to Shane’s attitude, hard work & the support around him that has seen him rewarded with a chance to showcase his skill & talent in the AFL.

To be selected at age 23 speaks volumes for what persistence and some sacrifices can result in. When most players were enjoying an off-season or preparing for the NTFL Shane was working with a select squad to prepare for this moment."

From what I've read from Dalrymple and Eade, he has been recruited as a forward. He told Collingwood he preferred playing defence, and that's where they planned to play him, but all the stuff from the Dogs indicated he would be in the forward line. If he was playing, would he take Hill's spot?

Dancin' Douggy
28-11-2009, 09:32 PM
I love the expression on his face and the look in his eyes in the picture on this thread.

Sedat
29-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Pace to burn and superb kicking skills. I like that combination very much.

Twodogs
29-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Really hard to gauge where Thorne will play. Assuming he will be playing for Williamstown seniors he has a few guys like Wood, Callan and maybe Addison occupying the back flank and pocket roles but it sounds like it would be his best position.

Josh Hill's spot might be up for grabs if he doesnt pull his finger out. It might be good for him to have some competition for his spot.

Aker and Johnno wont be playing forever either and at their age it makes good sense to have some cover for them, especially a mature aged replacement that's ready to play.

mighty_west
29-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Josh Hill's spot might be up for grabs if he doesnt pull his finger out. It might be good for him to have some competition for his spot.

Aker and Johnno wont be playing forever either and at their age it makes good sense to have some cover for them, especially a mature aged replacement that's ready to play.

For mine, i see Thornes inclusion more as a replacement for Lynch, and really, having the likes of Hill, Stack & Thorne fighting for the same position, drafted at 23, we would have had him in mind to play now, whether he's good enough to step up to AFL level is a different story.

Harbrow has to stay down back, his run & carry from defence is crucial.

anfo27
29-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Hmm, interesting. Sounds like a good problem to have.

FWIW I'd prefer to keep Harbrow in the back half as his effectiveness is much better - as a forward he never really impacted on the scoreboard and I'm not convinced he'd make a great crumbing player so there probably isn't a spot in the forward line.
Will be interesting to see how we go about developing these new recruits.

Before he moved to the backline Harbrow wasn't having a huge impact up forward but since moving down back his confidence has turned him into a different player. I agree that he best serves the team down back but if he was moved forward we shouldn't expect the same forward pocket Harbrow that we remember. In the final against the lions he was moved up forward for a short time & proved to me that he is a more accomplished forward than he once was. Gaining confidence in your own ability in any sport can bring some of most astonishing transformations.

GVGjr
29-11-2009, 02:53 PM

I don't really class Josh as a small forward in fact some of his high marking is quite good. Definitely a mid sized forward. I just don't see a spot for Harbrow up forward on an extended basis next year.

ledge
29-11-2009, 04:09 PM
I see Hill as the floating forward winger.

KT31
30-11-2009, 12:20 AM
I see Hill as the floating forward winger.

Is there such a thing.
IMO a wingman should be acountable and cover the centre and get the ball into the F50.

ledge
30-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Yes there is and i think he plays it now, floats down and takes a mark, kicks goals.
You will find defensive wingers and attacking wingers depending on team make up, one is better at defending reading the play going back etc and one is better at attacking, taking marks reading the play going forward etc..

We are an attacking side, so we have 2 attacking wingman and it looks like we going to be attacking for a long time with who we are picking up.

Other teams might look at defence more and have a defensive winger who tracks back and helps out the backmen, this of course is also goverened by your team list.

Sockeye Salmon
30-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Yes there is and i think he plays it now, floats down and takes a mark, kicks goals.
You will find defensive wingers and attacking wingers depending on team make up, one is better at defending reading the play going back etc and one is better at attacking, taking marks reading the play going forward etc..

We are an attacking side, so we have 2 attacking wingman and it looks like we going to be attacking for a long time with who we are picking up.

Other teams might look at defence more and have a defensive winger who tracks back and helps out the backmen, this of course is also goverened by your team list.

What's a winger?

Dry Rot
01-12-2009, 12:02 AM
I like what I've read about Thorne -I signing up as #1 fan. He'll be a thorn in every opponent's side. ;)

Ozza
11-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Have heard some less than positive reviews on Thorne's time at the club so far.

Apparently things haven't worked out too well and it would not be a surprise if Thorne didn't last the year.

Has anyone else heard similar?

The Coon Dog
11-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Have heard some less than positive reviews on Thorne's time at the club so far.

Apparently things haven't worked out too well and it would not be a surprise if Thorne didn't last the year.

Has anyone else heard similar?

No, not a peep.

What has he done/not done?

Ozza
11-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Happy New year TCD.

My understanding is that its not working out well with living arrangements and training. Have also heard that there has been some family issues and his wife has headed home with the kids.

This is from some blokes from Willi. Hopefully its not as serious as that - but my mail on him was a bit harsher than what I've said above - but its obviously not fair to throw it around second hand on the website.

Cyberdoggie
11-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Happy New year TCD.

My understanding is that its not working out well with living arrangements and training. Have also heard that there has been some family issues and his wife has headed home with the kids.

This is from some blokes from Willi. Hopefully its not as serious as that - but my mail on him was a bit harsher than what I've said above - but its obviously not fair to throw it around second hand on the website.

Even before they drafted him they had a plan to take care of his family and the move etc.
If it hasn't worked out i can only imagine it might be some homesickness. Can take some time to adjust

Dry Rot
02-03-2010, 12:42 PM
What's happened to Thorne? Seems to have disappeared off the radar.

Cyberdoggie
02-03-2010, 12:49 PM
What's happened to Thorne? Seems to have disappeared off the radar.

I don't think he's quite up to the fitness level required for AFL just yet.
He'll start from a long way back, maybe even Williamstown 2's this year.

You'll have to wait a while to see him in red white and blue if at all.

LostDoggy
02-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Well, its good to see Shane has recovered from his knee injury and is back on the park . It would be interesting see where he would be now if he was fit injury free and still on the list , the same as Hill in and out of the side or maybe Harbrow's replacement in the BP , ah well water under the bridge stuff

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/05/27/235841_ntsport.html

Desipura
02-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Well, its good to see Shane has recovered from his knee injury and is back on the park . It would be interesting see where he would be now if he was fit injury free and still on the list , the same as Hill in and out of the side or maybe Harbrow's replacement in the BP , ah well water under the bridge stuff

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/05/27/235841_ntsport.html

Talk about hypothetical. If he was fit and had the desire, he possibly would still be on our list, then again he still may not have been playing with us this year.

Ghost Dog
03-06-2011, 01:04 AM
It's good to know we're searching far and wide in order to find the best talent available.

What are people's thoughts on Dalrymple following a similar path to his predecessor Scott Clayton? i.e smokies

what's a smokie? all smoke no fire?

AndrewP6
03-06-2011, 01:11 AM
what's a smokie?

An outside chance, one not seen as a front-runner.

Ghost Dog
03-06-2011, 12:36 PM
An outside chance, one not seen as a front-runner.

Thanks. I'm guessing it comes from Horse racing.
Might be good to get another NT thunder kid to keep Zeph company