PDA

View Full Version : Dalrymple's plan

Bulldog Revolution
26-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Two running youngsters with elite disposal Howard and Tutt - who haven't had huge elite level exposure

Markovic - backup key defender - who is physically AFL ready in 2010

Thorne - an X factor, who might be a developing small forward/excitement machine

Thoughts?

DOG GOD
26-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Obviously a "NEEDS" based draft for us. Not sure what to make of Howard at 15 but if he can kick like Hodge then well and good :)

Bit surprised we went for Markovic after upgrading Mulligan.

Overall its a bit hard to judge, as i havent seen anything of these guys play.

GVGjr
26-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Two running youngsters with elite disposal Howard and Tutt - who haven't had huge elite level exposure

Thorne - an X factor, who might be a developing small forward/excitement machine

Thoughts?

Mixed bag.

I appreciate that we have looked past just pure athletes and have gone for the highly skilled guys but the last two picks seem to be an attempt to add a bit of depth on the cheap due to salary cap issues. This is not a knock on Markovic or Thorne but we can't be that comfortable with the depth of our list.

I suppose because we ignored drafting some genuine tall prospects at 31 I found that a little surprising.

LostDoggy
26-11-2009, 11:55 PM
I am actually pretty happy with the selections.

We picked up two running players, who can either play down back or the midfield. Both seem to have pretty good foot skills, with Howard being talked up a lot more. Howard's body seems to be built up fairly well, so a taste of AFL footy might not be to far away. Shaggy, Eagle & Gilbee are all getting on the older side of the age bracket, so looking towards the future with these two picks is a good thing.

One of the areas i wanted to fill during this draft was a key position defender spot, which we did in Markovic. Nobody actually knows what this guy will bring to the table, but at 22yo, VFL experience and a body that is ready for AFL football, i don't think we have done to badly. Speaking to a friend who is a Hawthorn supporter, and he thinks we have got someone who (injury free) could be a very good player for us. Said he is very agressive at the man & ball, plus is marvelous over head.

Thorne for me is a bit of a weird choice, considering it seems as though we let Lynch go who seems to be a similar player. Will definitely be low down in the pecking order, but you never know what he might be able to achieve, just look at Harbrow.

All in all, i am pretty happy with what the club did in tonight's draft.

Dry Rot
26-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Bit surprised we went for Markovic after upgrading Mulligan.

I suppose one view is that the club isn't 100% confident about Mulligan, Bourmann or Williams making it.

But if so, should we have taken the best back with our first or second pick?

Scorlibo
27-11-2009, 12:04 AM
I suppose one view is that the club isn't 100% confident about Mulligan, Bourmann or Williams making it.

But if so, should we have taken the best back with our first or second pick?

I suppose now we have all of Markovic, Boumann, Williams and Mulligan, and one would think at least one of them will become a very good AFL key defender. They all have question marks hanging over their heads but between them the odds are pretty good.

I'm not sure there were many quality tall defenders on offer this draft, behind Talia of course. Liam Jones can play back quite well.

Bulldog Revolution
27-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Mixed bag.

I appreciate that we have looked past just pure athletes and have gone for the highly skilled guys but the last two picks seem to be an attempt to add a bit of depth on the cheap due to salary cap issues. This is not a knock on Markovic or Thorne but we can't be that comfortable with the depth of our list.

I suppose because we ignored drafting some genuine tall prospects at 31 I found that a little surprising.

I think they realised the list needed speed and carry - which most of us do

I like the fact that Dalrymple has gone for it, as in been confident to take the guys he wants. I don't think there is any point having him in the job picking safely, and surely those last two picks he needed to have a crack at some guys he likes. But you do have to wonder if he's spent too much time with Clayton.

Reid was there for a second pick - were there others? That said Tutt looks a great little player

From the highlights Black has super agility and turns nicely on to either foot at half forward. Obviously a sentimental board favourite

Maybe Markovic is the pick that seems a bit dull of the lot

boydogs
27-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Thorne for me is a bit of a weird choice, considering it seems as though we let Lynch go who seems to be a similar player.

I don't think we delisted Lynch because we don't need that player type, quite the opposite I think he was given every chance because we are desperate for it but he wasn't up to it

Remi Moses
27-11-2009, 01:17 AM
revisit this topic in 12 to 24 months.

FrediKanoute
27-11-2009, 03:31 AM
Overall think that Dalrymple's choices reflect both the status of the draft and the stage we are at.

The compromised nature of drafting over the next few seasons means that clubs need to look harder at what is there and maybe look back at the last couple of drafts at guys who didn't quite make it to see if there is anyone there who is capable of playing AFL like Picken. For mine its what we are doing with Markovic and Thorne.

In terms of Howard and Tutt I thinks its reflective of the fact that the draft outside the top 10 is pretty even. Having taken the best dozen 17 year olds out of the equation it means that the speculative picks which would usually start at around 30 are being taken earlier because they are no less a guarantee than a guy touted as a top 20 pick. In 3 or 4 years we'll look back on thie draft and there will be without doubt more than usual guys chosen at pick 30+ who have developed into A Grade footballers.

chef
27-11-2009, 07:47 AM

Thoughts?

Exactly what i wanted in the drafted:).

GVGjr
27-11-2009, 07:48 AM
I think they realised the list needed speed and carry - which most of us do

I like the fact that Dalrymple has gone for it, as in been confident to take the guys he wants. I don't think there is any point having him in the job picking safely, and surely those last two picks he needed to have a crack at some guys he likes. But you do have to wonder if he's spent too much time with Clayton.

It seems that way but with Wallis and Libertore heading our way the following years was there a real need for it?

It's surprising that Howard has virtually no exposure that the normal first round draftee would have experienced but I'd pat Dalrymple on the back for being brave enough take a punt. As you say, he could have played safe but in his first up effort he has backed his own assessment.

chef
27-11-2009, 07:54 AM
It seems that way but with Wallis and Libertore heading our way the following years was there a real need for it?

It's surprising that Howard has virtually no exposure that the normal first round draftee would have experienced but I'd pat Dalrymple on the back for being brave enough take a punt. As you say, he could have played safe but in his first up effort he has backed his own assessment.

Aren't these two more inside players?

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 07:56 AM
I have no idea but I would have thought Wallis and Liberatore are more you in and under midfielders rather than speed and carry.

GVGjr
27-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Aren't these two more inside players?

I don't think you can typecast either of them as just inside players. They move between both roles well.
Wallis in particular is great at getting out by himself and using the open space well.

I think you get the point though of already having some mids heading our way next year regardless if they are classed as inside or outside players.

chef
27-11-2009, 08:13 AM
I don't think you can typecast either of them as just inside players. They move between both roles well.
Wallis in particular is great at getting out by himself and using the open space well.

I think you get the point though of already having some mids heading our way next year regardless if they are classed as inside or outside players.

Yeah, that's why i was happy to get some quick run and carry outside/flankers with great disposal with our first two picks last night.

Mantis
27-11-2009, 08:43 AM
In terms of Howard and Tutt I thinks its reflective of the fact that the draft outside the top 10 is pretty even. Having taken the best dozen 17 year olds out of the equation it means that the speculative picks which would usually start at around 30 are being taken earlier because they are no less a guarantee than a guy touted as a top 20 pick. In 3 or 4 years we'll look back on thie draft and there will be without doubt more than usual guys chosen at pick 30+ who have developed into A Grade footballers.

I think that is a good call. Eade has mentioned in the paper this morning that from our list we had 12 players taken before our pick, we had hoped one of these would slide, but they didn't. As you have mentioned with a fairly even mob after the first dozen we have to let our recruiting staff pick who they thought would be most suitable because after all that is what they are paid to do.

Bulldog Revolution
27-11-2009, 08:43 AM

Thats two of the interesting elements when considering our selections

Given next years two likely midfielders, and compromised drafting - does this indicate enormous faith in Grant, Jones, Boumann, Williams, Cordy, Roughead etc to be the answer over the next two-three years?

Surprising that Howard who hasn't had the U18 champ exposure was selected ahead of so many that had. As commented elsewhere very rare a guy wouldn't have a state screening and be selected first round.

bulldogtragic
27-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Comparison on in's vs out's:

Howard (elite skills with speed) - Eagle off to the vet's
Tutt (as above) - Ocka
Barry Hall - Scott Welsh
Markovic (defencive cover) - Wight
Thorne 'x' Factor - Lynch
Picken (upgraded) - Skiper
Mulligan (upgraded) - O'shea

3 rookie selections to come.

Not a bad 'pound for pound' cover when i see it like that.

Mofra
27-11-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm happy we took a CHB who is big enought o make a contribution - as confident as most are with Boumann, he's simply not going to be ready this year.
Ditto Grant & Cordy. Roughead will debut but is a couple of years away (and probably a Ben Hudson retirement) before being regular.

Not sure about Tutt (will his height be exposed as a defender?) but Howard is obviously picked with the future of football in mind - quick & an elite kick.
Interesting today that Dalrymple also highlighted he was as "fast" kick, with the ball travelling from A to B quickly. That suggests to me that the Dogs really are looking for players who can break a zone down by foot which may give us the edge in years to come.

Raw Toast
27-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Howard is obviously picked with the future of football in mind - quick & an elite kick.
Interesting today that Dalrymple also highlighted he was as "fast" kick, with the ball travelling from A to B quickly. That suggests to me that the Dogs really are looking for players who can break a zone down by foot which may give us the edge in years to come.

Dalrymple certainly values "fast kicks", and it's here where Glibee is the gold standard - an elite kick by this standard not only has to be accurate, it has to move fast through the air.

I think your comments re drafting for players who can attack a zone are spot on - it's interesting that both Howard and Tutt were referred to as their team's quarterbacks, and I like the emphasis on decision-making this seems to carry with it.

There are two ways to attack a zone - by elite kicking and by run and carry, and we seem to have drafted for both of these with Thorne more of the run and carry type that we really need some more of as well, while Tutt seems like he might be a combination of the two (if the Chance Bateman comparison is accurate).

We've drafted for needs pretty clearly in the last three drafts, and I think with Wallis and Liberatore in the wings, we're moving towards the most balanced list we've had for ages. I assume we'll be picking a small forward or two in the rookie draft (Pat Rose +?), and I'd still like some more speed, and maybe another back-up ruck as well.