PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports Coverage

Remi Moses
27-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Thought the coverage should have showed the selections as they were happening. Way to much waffle I thought. Why not have a five minute break after every round and conduct interviews and panel thoughts etc etc. To much emphasis on the number 1 pick as well,we heard all about Scully for weeks.

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 12:53 AM
It was horrible. Why were they discussing the 99 draft? WHO CARES?! The whole time I was just trying to hear the names being read out by each club...

jazzadogs
27-11-2009, 01:06 AM
From what I saw, not great. I ended up just coming on here/the internet instead, that way you got information about each player as they were drafted.

divvydan
27-11-2009, 01:48 AM
It was particularly bad in two ways. Firstly, I could clearly see Kevin Sheenan on there getting a little agitated as things were happening in the draft and he wanted to talk about that instead of the byplay going on between Dunstall and Lynch
Secondly, when we did pick someone unexpected at 15, there was no information given about the selection at all, so I had no idea at all who Howard was or what type of player he was etc. Admittedly the AFL draft tracker had no information on him at all.

I'm not against them showing interviews when a team is taking time over a pick and in general trying to make it more viewer friendly, it's just that it needs to be about this draft and the players, not about old drafts and former players.

Dry Rot
27-11-2009, 01:49 AM
Thought the coverage should have showed the selections as they were happening. Way to much waffle I thought. Why not have a five minute break after every round and conduct interviews and panel thoughts etc etc. To much emphasis on the number 1 pick as well,we heard all about Scully for weeks.

It was absolute poo. About what I'd expect from Telstra/BigPond.

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 02:11 AM
Well last year I watched the full thing on the AFL site last year when Bigpond did it and it was great.

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 03:13 AM
To much emphasis on the number 1 pick as well,we heard all about Scully for weeks.

The kid gets up on stage and says that he's speechless. Son, Melbourne told you that you were the number one draft pick a long time ago. You had time enough to commission a speech, let alone collect your thoughts.

The Foxtel coverage was so bad that it almost made for compelling viewing. In fact, I hope they televise the Brownlow next year.

Instead of following the count round by round, we'll have the camera fixed on a bald man, two biased player managers and an increasingly frustrated AFL official for the entire night. You won't know who's winning, but then you won't really care as you hear how the hosts polled in the late 1980s, discuss the 1999 Brownlow result with the guy that came fiftieth, and spend ten minutes of your life listening to someone's mum talk about something. If nothing else, it'll be revolutionary.

GVGjr
27-11-2009, 06:27 AM

I recorded it and watched it this morning. The guys presenting did a good job but the format was all wrong. I'm told the coverage on SEN was pretty good.

OLD SCRAGGer
27-11-2009, 09:48 AM
In a word .... SHITEHOUSE:mad::mad:

KT31
27-11-2009, 09:53 AM
In a word .... SHITEHOUSE:mad::mad:

Talk about rubbish, only time they stopped to talk about a late pick was to mention a pick selected by one of the panels clubs.

Remi Moses
27-11-2009, 10:31 AM
For those who don't follow VFL or TAC cup closely Had no friggin idea who Lucas Markovic was! Little bio would have been nice. Don't start me on Howard,poor old Kevin Sheehan was subjected to Leon Pickering,Dunstall and Lynch's self indulgence. Then there was the unreadable little teletext on the bottom of the screen

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 11:27 AM
It was absolute poo. About what I'd expect from Telstra/BigPond.

It was absolute CRAP:mad: It was a Fox sports production not Bigpond!

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Did we work out who had the bigger appendage? Was it Dunstall, Lynch or Pickering? Absolute rubbish

soupman
27-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Sounds crap. Glad I didn't make the effort to find a mate with foxtel.

What I found annoying listrening to the radio is that 3AW did the whole top 10 nice and slowly with the comprehensive bio, and then whilst still talking about Trengove and Scully they go "Oh yeah. And pick 11 to Melbourne was..., Pick 12 to Carlton was..." and named those picks in about 10 seconds before going back to discuss the already extensively covered Scully and Trengove.

After that I switched to SEN which at least let the picks pan out live, but neglected to give any info on any of our picks.

Flamethrower
27-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I turned off early on....it was painful to watch. Player entry drafts are not the most entertaining or TV friendly programs at the best of times, but you have to play to your strengths at least. And that means allowing the "draft guru" use their vast array of knowledge to inform the viewers about each player drafted.

ESPN do it really well with their coverage of the NFL and NBA drafts. Mel Kiper jr is their version of Kevin Sheehan and he is the "star of the show", along with the athletes that are drafted.

mighty_west
27-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Agree with all of the above, the coverage was shite.

What they should have done, was what SEN did with the coverage, but with vision, Shifters quick thoughts between selections, later in the draft it slows down a bit anyway, so more time to run through players profiles etc.

Then perhaps a half hour or so afterwards with the interviews, complete wrap up, detailed thoughts with clubs rather than just rushing through them etc etc.

The coverage was supposed to showcase the entire draft, not just the top 10, with a rolling graphic down the bottom with names just appearing, that was hidious.

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Glad I didn't watch it!! I heard a little bit on SEN this morning - it sounded even more boring than the Brownlow count!! ;)

KT31
27-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Agree with all of the above, the coverage was shite.

The coverage was supposed to showcase the entire draft, not just the top 10, with a rolling graphic down the bottom with names just appearing, that was hidious.

Why a top ten anyway ?
Seen as we have 16 teams in the competition it should be a top 16.

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Why a top ten anyway ?
Seen as we have 16 teams in the competition it should be a top 16.

Still wouldn't have covered all the teams, due to teams being rewarded for constant apathy, Melbourne had roughly have the top 20 picks. Should have held the draft at Punt rd. Would have saved them a packet in cab charges.

AndrewP6
27-11-2009, 05:34 PM
The kid gets up on stage and says that he's speechless. Son, Melbourne told you that you were the number one draft pick a long time ago. You had time enough to commission a speech, let alone collect your thoughts.

Jeez, very harsh. In your own words, he is still a kid. And knowing his humble nature, spending the year writing a grand speech for Draft day isn't his style. He's got a whole career ahead to hone his speech-making skills. And he spoke quite well with the panel.

Oh, and did I forget - he's A KID!

AndrewP6
27-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Watched a bit on Foxtel. The countdown of the top 10 was a stupid idea, then jumping back to no. 11. The selection of Luke Ball was a "stop press" moment, where one panellist jumped in with the news, whereas they should've cut to the selections at important times - such as, for example, Collingwood's no. 30!

Anyhoo, the draft isn't exactly compelling viewing for me personally, I'm happy to let it happen and find out afterwards which kids we've picked. My personal connection to Scully was the main reason I checked it out this time.

Swoop
27-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Dunstall thinking Jesse Smith was re-drafted back to the Kangas was slightly funny but the rest of the broadcast was annoying and not informative on the actual draft. I get the feeling Sheehan would have preferred talking about the kids being picked up. As for Lynch & Pickering, I know they're contracted to Fox but I would have thought draft night would be an important time to be with their young clients.

chef
27-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Dunstall thinking Jesse Smith was re-drafted back to the Kangas was slightly funny but the rest of the broadcast was annoying and not informative on the actual draft. I get the feeling Sheehan would have preferred talking about the kids being picked up. As for Lynch & Pickering, I know they're contracted to Fox but I would have thought draft night would be an important time to be with their young clients.

I thought he got Jesse Smith and Joel Smith mixed up and thought he was going back to St.Kilda.:D

Remi Moses
01-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Talk about conflicts Dwayne pipe Russell [pain in the arse] and gerard [fence sitter] healy both stuck up for the Fox sports coverage. Hmmm interesting,both happen to work there:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hotdog60
27-01-2010, 03:58 PM
I got Foxtel installed today, when the technician left I poured myself a cold drink and relaxed for a channel surf.

In one word 'CRAP' if it wasn't for the impending footy season I would not waste my hard earned cash on this rubbish, why in hell am I paying for advertisements. I thought the idea of pay TV was to avoid that nuisance, I hope in the next TV rights that the footy gets better coverage so I can cancel the deal.

I know some people out love it and maybe big TV watchers, but I'm only interested in AFL and a bit of motor racing, life style shows sux big time and I can get movie at the local video shop for $2.

You really paid for a lot of stuff you will never watch, I wish they would have a pay as you watch system like the main event thing, then I could pay for my Doggies game the same if I was going through the turnstile.

Sorry I had to vent, I will be a lot happier come the 12th of Feb and the first bounce of season 2010.

LostDoggy
04-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Got Foxtel sorted today for this year..had it last year too. Installation happening Sunday which is pretty fast, surprised me a bit.

Only reason being the Nab Cup is around the corner..and then the real stuff begins. I dont really want it for anything else but what I got included was good value

Basic Package + HD Sports Package on IQ2...$100 Installation..3 Free HD Channels (Nat Geo, Discovery & another I believe) + 3 Vancouver Winter Olympics channels.. $68 p/month ongoing.

Looks like I signed up at the right time...I was paying $66 a month last year for Basic & Sport on IQ1 so cant complain. IQ2 with more space and ability to record 2 channels & watch another..not that id end up ever doing that but good to know.

I believe the Olympics Pack was today only so if anyone is contemplating getting foxtel may aswell get it now. (Dont really care for it but will def be watching the ice hockey)

Remi Moses
04-02-2010, 09:05 PM
gotta put me 2 cents in. Foxtel has been atrocious of late,lost count the amount of times I've channel surfed the sports channels and have not been remotely interested in the content!!If it wasn't for the Footy,world game and the occasional Aussier cricket tour I'd give it the ARSE!!!!!!

The Bulldogs Bite
04-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Had Foxtel a couple of times and have it currently. We've got the Platinum package and get a couple of free Box Office movies a month. Had a few other little things too but they 'expired' the other day.

In comparison with free to air, it's great. However they seem to be incorporating more advertisements (including during programs) than they used to. It's a little repeatitive at times and in the off season, Fox Sports sucks outside of A-League/EPL.

I wish they still had the Fox Footy channels. That was great, could always watch something AFL. Only a couple of times a week do they show AFL matches at the moment.

LostDoggy
07-02-2010, 10:14 AM
I wish they still had the Fox Footy channels. That was great, could always watch something AFL. Only a couple of times a week do they show AFL matches at the moment.

Yeah I miss FoxFooty..Footy 24/7, how it should be.

Got a feeling Foxtel is going to lose out big time in the next tv rights, which I will happily give up if they decrease live games from say 4 to 2 a week..If the dogs play interstate live theres always the pub ;)

jazzadogs
07-02-2010, 04:06 PM
On the subject of Foxtel, I was watching Fox Sports News last night, and they had 'the first part of an exclusive interview series with Rodney Eade' on. It was just in the middle of a news bulletin, and I only caught the second half of it. Didn't say too much of importance, but wondering if anyone saw the whole thing?

LostDoggy
07-02-2010, 08:30 PM
gotta put me 2 cents in. Foxtel has been atrocious of late,lost count the amount of times I've channel surfed the sports channels and have not been remotely interested in the content!!If it wasn't for the Footy,world game and the occasional Aussier cricket tour I'd give it the ARSE!!!!!!

Could'nt agree more!

Swoop
07-02-2010, 09:38 PM
On the subject of Foxtel, I was watching Fox Sports News last night, and they had 'the first part of an exclusive interview series with Rodney Eade' on. It was just in the middle of a news bulletin, and I only caught the second half of it. Didn't say too much of importance, but wondering if anyone saw the whole thing?
I caught part one of the interview shown and to be honest there was no major insight really. Everything Eade mentioned we have already heard before through different media outlets and there was no genuine insight in the questions asked or answered. From a bulldogs supporter point of view I'm always happy to hear about anything bulldogs related but if you missed it you certainly didn't miss much.

jazzadogs
07-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I caught part one of the interview shown and to be honest there was no major insight really. Everything Eade mentioned we have already heard before through different media outlets and there was no genuine insight in the questions asked or answered. From a bulldogs supporter point of view I'm always happy to hear about anything bulldogs related but if you missed it you certainly didn't miss much.
Cheers, I had a feeling that would be the case. I'll still keep an eye on FSN just in case Part Two is worthwhile.