PDA

View Full Version : Unsung Croweater heads to Dogs in draft shock

The Coon Dog
27-11-2009, 04:35 PM
By Katrina Gill 12:16 AM Fri 27 November, 2009

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20F-J/bltrhwrd246a.jpg

SOUTH Australian teenager Christian Howard admits he was as shocked as anyone when the Western Bulldogs dropped the first bombshell of the 2009 NAB AFL Draft, calling his name with pick No.15.

Howard, 18, was overlooked for the SA U18 state team and didn’t attract enough interest to attend the Adelaide-based screening session, let alone the NAB AFL Draft Camp in Canberra.

But a flurry of strong performances for the Glenelg U18s late in the season, including two finals, saw him jump from a potential third-round pick to a first-rounder.

Article in full... (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87599/default.aspx)

LostDoggy
27-11-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm sure I speak on behalf of everybody who is associated with the WBFC when I say, "welcome to the family young fella".

The Pie Man
27-11-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm sure I speak on behalf of everybody who is associated with the WBFC when I say, "welcome to the family young fella".

Aye!!

KT31
28-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Aye Aye !!

MrMahatma
28-11-2009, 01:12 AM
Funny that he wasn't called by the dogs immediately after the selection?

Mitcha
28-11-2009, 11:21 PM
All four boys were called immediately after the draft but it seems all phones were either turned off or not answered in time with messages left for each.

Sockeye Salmon
29-11-2009, 10:05 AM
All four boys were called immediately after the draft but it seems all phones were either turned off or not answered in time with messages left for each.

I'd say it could be that our phones weren't working rather than the kids. I couldn't get my phone to work there.

Twodogs
29-11-2009, 10:45 AM
I'd say it could be that our phones weren't working rather than the kids. I couldn't get my phone to work there.

I was getting your texts. Your reply to my question about Jason Tutt was a beauty.

comrade
29-11-2009, 10:49 AM
I was getting your texts. Your reply to my question about Jason Tutt was a beauty.

Care to share?

chef
29-11-2009, 11:04 AM

It would be interesting to hear your POV about the evening SS.

Sockeye Salmon
29-11-2009, 04:56 PM
It would be interesting to hear your POV about the evening SS.

I wasn't what I was expecting.

Unfortunately Rocket was tied up in a pre-draft meeting (that in previous years we have been able to attend) and then we were ushered away with another 1000 people. Then we sat there while Richmond and Hawthorn bored the pants of everyone by taking what seemed like an eternity for each pick.

Afterwards Rocket got caught up with media interviews. Rocket did send out two of the recruiting team to have a chat which is still pretty fantastic of him, but overall, while I don't want to sound ungrateful, I was a little disappointed.

As far as our picks are concerned, I was shocked by who we took at the time. We were warned that if the blokes we wanted were gone by our pick to expect a surprise.

Rocket told us at the last dinner he was concerned that we had no-one to replace Lindsay in a few years so hopefully that's one more piece of the long term puzzle in place.

The biggest problem I had on the day was that a got an earlier flight home from Germany to make it (I only arrived home around 11.30 Thursday morning) and going to the draft started a massive domestic, despite the fact that she'd known for 2 months I was coming home in time to go to the draft.

chef
29-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks SS.

KT31
30-11-2009, 12:29 AM

That may explain the lack of texts.
Although you seemed to be able to get through to two dogs.:p