PDA

View Full Version : Jarrad Grant

Pages : [1] 2

LostDoggy
01-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Just wondering if anyone had any information on how jarrad grant was coming along? Never hear much about him and would be expecting a little more from him at this stage, though i know it is still early days for a tall forward.

Swoop
01-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Eade was quoted at the start of this season as saying he expected Grant to play 10 games in 2009 however I believe that was very optimistic. The reality is he is still trying to build his body and his fitness base in order to play at the level required. I believe he has high expectations on himself and this can see him place pressure on himself to perform and no doubt he would have been very dejected after his debut against Carlton realising how far away he actually was. He finished the year off in the Williamstown reserves which was less than ideal however his sole aim this preseason would be to purely build a fitness base that will allow his body to do the things he wants to, specifically the 2nd and 3rd effort leads need to improve.

Finally, I think the new coach German at Williamstown will be good for him, he is very direct and will tell the players how it is without sugar coating it. Secondly he has a good track record of getting young players to perform and thirdy I believe he will play Grant in a position that is better suited to his abilities which hopefully leads to better performances. If everything goes well for him than hopefully he will get a few opportunities in the seniors throughout the year however 2011 should be the year he becomes a senior player.

EasternWest
02-12-2009, 02:54 PM
I've heard from a few sources now that Grant's attitude is really good so hopefully he can really apply himselfto this preseason. Seems like a nice kid, would be happy for him to really come along. Hopefully he can learn heaps from C. Grant (sigh).

comrade
02-12-2009, 05:34 PM
I've heard from a few sources now that Grant's attitude is really good so hopefully he can really apply himselfto this preseason. Seems like a nice kid, would be happy for him to really come along. Hopefully he can learn heaps from C. Grant (sigh).

I can only comment about what I see on the field, but he seems really intense to the point of being sullen. I can honestly say that in all the games I’ve seen him play, the only time he’s shown some actual unbridled emotion was when he kicked the goal after the siren to win the game against Coburg this year.

Cyberdoggie
03-12-2009, 05:15 PM
I can only comment about what I see on the field, but he seems really intense to the point of being sullen. I can honestly say that in all the games I’ve seen him play, the only time he’s shown some actual unbridled emotion was when he kicked the goal after the siren to win the game against Coburg this year.

Yeah he doesn't look like a happy chappy.
I remember the camera's panning around the Williamstown circle in the rooms as they were singing the song joyously, then Grant's noggin appears and he looked like the team had just been slaughtered by 100 points, not won a close match.

There's plenty to like about him (ability, hardness attitude),
but he's also got a lot of negatives as well which are really keeping him back (fitness, body, experience)

This year will be very important for him.
He simply has to show some improvement.

Dazza
03-12-2009, 05:36 PM
I still have high hopes for him. Has all the right tools for a good forward. Just needs his fitness/strength to come good. The game in the NAB cup may have skewed my views though. Also wasn't he one of the only forwards that used to beat Michael Hurley at underage level?

Lachy
03-12-2009, 05:42 PM
A couple of things he will have to improve dramatically on to make it at AFL level is his kicking and second efforts at the contest.

He can take a good mark, but then either kicks behinds or if he doesn't mark the ball is too easily pushed aside from the contest.

I hope I'm wrong but I would say by year end Ayce Cordy will be ahead of him despite still being way under weight for AFL football.

ratsmac
03-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Bulldogs are a stocky breed of dog, so why is it that all our pups look malnourished?? Grant's legs look like they are about to snap when he is standing still, let alone running. I hope he can stack on some muscle this pre season and show us something to look forward to in the coming years.

Mofra
03-12-2009, 09:22 PM
A couple of things he will have to improve dramatically on to make it at AFL level is his kicking and second efforts at the contest.
Second efforts stand out like dogs... bowls, however I think this is purely a lack of fitness rather than desire. He really puts pressure on himself and given he missed half his draft year, then his first year was ruined by OP, he's almost a draftee this year in terms of development.

azabob
05-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Is it fair to say if his cardio fitness is again an issue in 2010 he has a work ethic problem on the track?

stefoid
07-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Yeah he doesn't look like a happy chappy.
I remember the camera's panning around the Williamstown circle in the rooms as they were singing the song joyously, then Grant's noggin appears and he looked like the team had just been slaughtered by 100 points, not won a close match.

There's plenty to like about him (ability, hardness attitude),
but he's also got a lot of negatives as well which are really keeping him back (fitness, body, experience)

This year will be very important for him.
He simply has to show some improvement.

Emotion is illogical. Spock has no need for it.

Cyberdoggie
08-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Emotion is illogical. Spock has no need for it.

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/bulldogs_docs/Jarrad%20Grant246a.JPG

There is a likeness here!

http://artoftalk.tv/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/spock1.jpg

BulldogBelle
08-12-2009, 04:16 PM
How long do Vulcans typically take to develop?

alwaysadog
10-12-2009, 04:44 PM
How long do Vulcans typically take to develop?

Between one and two millennia.

The Pie Man
10-12-2009, 05:16 PM
The Spock call is hilarious

In the seadog pic, it looks like he's really trying to pump that right bicep out a bit....but it looks like he's got old man arms :(

(like I can talk)

BulldogBelle
10-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Lets just send Jarad to the gym and throw away the key (for a few months)

LostDoggy
12-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Rodney Eade fielded a question about Grant from the audience at the Inside the Kennel Christmas Show. Grant had improved along with Stack and Everitt around the club since their return from the boot camp a few weeks ago. Rocket seemed genuinely happy about this.

LostDoggy
22-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Big day for Jarrad tomorrow, has showed some improvement so far this year at Williamstown. Needs to try & hold down a position in our forward line, seems as though he is fighting for it with Hill.

LostDoggy
23-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Best of luck Stinger!
Kick 8!

LostDoggy
23-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Along with his kicking I feel Grant's biggest downside is that he doesn't demand the ball. I just hope he doesn't go missing tonight.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Along with his kicking I feel Grant's biggest downside is that he doesn't demand the ball. I just hope he doesn't go missing tonight.

Agree with this. He has all the attributes to be a very good player, but he needs to improve his authority out on the field and especially where he leads to.

Whilst there's no doubt if Grant doesn't perform very well tonight, he'll be canned by our supporters, I have hopes for him. Still another year away from critical judgement IMO.

FrediKanoute
23-04-2010, 08:07 PM
The guy is still learning the ropes. He's 19 FFS. Tonight I'll be happy if he gets involved. Goals/kicks/handballs are secondary. If he is creating space, leading well, doing the 1%'ers I'll be pleased.

w3design
23-04-2010, 10:55 PM
his 2nd tonight was clever for a big man. Did a couple of good things but sometimes didn't stick a mark or tackle that he should have.

Hotdog60
23-04-2010, 11:22 PM
The guy is still learning the ropes. He's 19 FFS. Tonight I'll be happy if he gets involved. Goals/kicks/handballs are secondary. If he is creating space, leading well, doing the 1%'ers I'll be pleased.

You should be pleased tonight Fredi, he did get involved and I thought he did reasonably well.

chef
23-04-2010, 11:36 PM
You should be pleased tonight Fredi, he did get involved and I thought he did reasonably well.

Yep, I liked his game.

LostDoggy
24-04-2010, 12:08 AM
He seems to come in and out of the game alot, but in saying that, he chased hard and tackled, got a few handballs, and kicked a couple of nice goals. This can only do him some good.

LostDoggy
24-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Like some of us felt would happen, Bazz's presence has already had a good flow-on effect on Grant and Roughead, where they can just learn and contribute without having to carry the entire goalkicking burden on their young shoulders.

lemmon
24-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Just a thought but arguably our biggest hole is the lack of a small forward, could Grant play this role? He willingly chases and tackles, is a more then capable crumber and for a man of his size he is quite quick. Perhaps he can fill this role, as well as being able to take the big grabs.

*posted this in the matchday thread but is probably more applicable here

Pickenitup
24-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Well Done Granty your pressure was fantastic a hint of magic about him that 2nd goal was pure class.
Hopefully our supporters will start believing in him and not bag him

Dogz-21
24-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Grant struggled in some ways however his workrate was fantastic, he brough himself into the game through sheer hard work. Well deserved 2 goals and if that's the workrate he brings to the table all the time, he ought to succeed

LostDoggy
24-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Good effort Granty!

Sedat
24-04-2010, 12:32 AM
I also thought his hands in traffic were terrific - he was part of quite a few scoring chains on the night with his quick hands. Also his pressure skills added a new dimension to our forward line. Good signs tonight.

angelopetraglia
24-04-2010, 12:33 AM
Thought he tried hard all night and worth persevering with over Josh Hill.

stefoid
24-04-2010, 12:39 AM
good hands.

LostDoggy
24-04-2010, 12:45 AM
Yes he did well. Still think he won't make it but I respect his effort tonight.

LostDoggy
24-04-2010, 12:47 AM
I thought his effort was fantastic, also showed he has some class. Good signs. Would be hard to drop him or Roughy.

LostDoggy
24-04-2010, 12:55 AM

Based on two AFL games?

LostDoggy
24-04-2010, 01:07 AM

Is that right? He is only 19?
I thought he had been around a bit longer, big upside if thats the case.

G-Mo77
24-04-2010, 01:18 AM
He worked his way into the match nicely I thought. He still does need to work a lot harder when presenting but that's something he'll pick up when he gets a few games under his belt.

Really like is forward pressure!

Bulldog4life
24-04-2010, 01:34 AM

I thought he went well tonight although he turns 21 years of age in early May. But then why spoil a good FFS with the truth.:D

macca
24-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Grant did some good things. Chased ball, second effort in last quarter to keep ball in fwd line. His handballs were good, but he needs to learn to stick tackles. Good eade put him in middle to find the footy. one touch round the quarter kick in the last qtr was good.

AndrewP6
24-04-2010, 01:50 AM
I thought he went well tonight although he turns 21 years of age in early May. But then why spoil a good FFS with the truth.:D

July 6th, according to WB site.

AndrewP6
24-04-2010, 01:54 AM
Did a few good things, as others have said, needs to work on his tackling. Amazed that he's actually put weight on since being picked up by the dogs, he looks like he could hide behind the goal post!

The Bulldogs Bite
24-04-2010, 02:41 AM
Definitely needs to build core strength. Never going to be a 'bulky' type but perhaps Grant can mould a body similar to Brennan from Brisbane. He would of taken an extra couple of marks and stuck that tackle on Dangerfield if he had it.

His attitude was fantastic. His tackling pressure really gave us a lot IMO. Hill has been pretty poor in this area, we've really only had Hall giving us defensive pressure. Grant worked very hard and did quite a bit of running which suprised me. I thought his ability to nullify contests in which Adelaide had the advantage of numbers etc. was great. Few times he was able to lock the ball up and create another stoppage.

Very glad to see he's changed his approach to goal kicking. He worked up some momentum and as a result kicked it beautifully from 40m. His second goal was very smart and really displays how incredibly agile he is. He's extremely quick too - never thought he'd be able to catch Dangerfield of all players.

Really good signs. He got involved, looked fitter and more confident. Just needs to build strength/fitness.

LostDoggy
24-04-2010, 03:32 AM
Definitely needs to build core strength. Never going to be a 'bulky' type but perhaps Grant can mould a body similar to Brennan from Brisbane. He would of taken an extra couple of marks and stuck that tackle on Dangerfield if he had it.

His attitude was fantastic. His tackling pressure really gave us a lot IMO. Hill has been pretty poor in this area, we've really only had Hall giving us defensive pressure. Grant worked very hard and did quite a bit of running which suprised me. I thought his ability to nullify contests in which Adelaide had the advantage of numbers etc. was great. Few times he was able to lock the ball up and create another stoppage.

Very glad to see he's changed his approach to goal kicking. He worked up some momentum and as a result kicked it beautifully from 40m. His second goal was very smart and really displays how incredibly agile he is. He's extremely quick too - never thought he'd be able to catch Dangerfield of all players.

Really good signs. He got involved, looked fitter and more confident. Just needs to build strength/fitness.

I don't think his goal from 40m was kicked beautifully. I think he still needs a lot of work on his technique. His kicking action for goal seems to be improving over time though.

I also think he can be a bulky type. Wasn't Chris Grant really skinny once? However, would it be better for him to develop into a bulkier type?

Other than putting on more KG's and getting better with body on body contests I think he needs to demand more of the ball. Otherwise it's good to see a lot of improvement.

chef
24-04-2010, 07:45 AM

Why?

LongWait
24-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Grant and Roughead both exceeded expectations tonight. Rocket would have to love the effort of Grant - I'm really happy for the kid as he has obviously taken to heart the need for him to increase his training and playing intensity. He'll still play a lot of games at Willi before he is a permanent fixture but Grant certainly looks a keeper and Hill should be very worried.

Charlie the Wonder Dog
24-04-2010, 12:06 PM

Alan you may well be a far better judge than I, but I really liked what I saw last night.

For mine he is a guy that seems to be his own biggest critic and this has been holding him back from developing as we all would like.

What I liked last night was that he got busy, did not drop his head at any time and just wanted to contribute. From a distance this makes me confident that he has got it together between the ears and we can now look forward to some consistent improvement this year.

Rocco Jones
24-04-2010, 01:48 PM
I am just another one who was really impressed with his effort last night. I know disposals mean very little in the modern game but his quarter break down was 3, 4, 3 and 4. Worked hard and was thereabouts consistency. Great to see he didn't go missing for periods in the game. 3 tackles and chased really hard. Also good to see that he had 78% TOG, not bad for someone with doubts over their AFL ready fitness.

Really wasn't the type of game I expected from Grant, lots of handballs and close in work. If I was told he would have a decent game I would have expected a few quality one grab marks but only had one for the night. A very pleasant surprise.

mighty_west
24-04-2010, 02:20 PM
I am just another one who was really impressed with his effort last night. I know disposals mean very little in the modern game but his quarter break down was 3, 4, 3 and 4. Worked hard and was thereabouts consistency. Great to see he didn't go missing for periods in the game. 3 tackles and chased really hard. Also good to see that he had 78% TOG, not bad for someone with doubts over their AFL ready fitness.

Really wasn't the type of game I expected from Grant, lots of handballs and close in work. If I was told he would have a decent game I would have expected a few quality one grab marks but only had one for the night. A very pleasant surprise.

Grant seems to do everything, big grabs, kicks a few goals, chases & tackles, ticks all boxes, and does all of the above very well, just needs to do it on a more consistant basis, as soon as he does, we will have a seriously good player on our hands.

Was good to see him given some good game time, and get right into the game last night, hope he gets a game next week.

Bulldog4life
24-04-2010, 02:44 PM
July 6th, according to WB site.

Yes I can see that now. Although my main point is he is not 19!

Mofra
24-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Did a few good things, as others have said, needs to work on his tackling. Amazed that he's actually put weight on since being picked up by the dogs, he looks like he could hide behind the goal post!
I thought any flaws in his tackling were purely a product of strength and size, not technique and certainly not endeavour. That Dangerfield goal where he shrugged off Grant was sublime, but I'm willing to give him credit for chasing 80+m to get to him in the first case.

How quick are the kid's hands though! Even ignoring his last quaretr goal, his pick up & dish offs are lightning quick. He must put a heap of pressure on himself - he seemed genuinely relieved to kick his first goal, but not happy at all. At least he gave a bit of a point after his second. Monkey's off the back now hopefully.

I know he's been criticised in the past for being lazy or for deciding when he will & wont go, but last night was the polar opposite; throwing his body into anything he could. Should hold his spot.

Before I Die
01-05-2010, 01:24 AM
Took a further step up tonight. Continued to apply tackling pressure and also presented to the ball carrier. Gave a glimpse of his overhead ability and field kicking was good. Disappointing miss from within range and appeared to have an inflated idea with regard to his ability to kick over 50 with his last shot.

Still, I am convinced. Hasn't quite justified the number 5 pick just yet, but no doubt he will be a very good KPP.

gohardorgohome
01-05-2010, 01:30 AM
I think that Grant will be a good player once he gets a better motor and puts on some weight. I like his tackling and hands. I cant see him playing CHF any time soon. But he shows a lot more intensity at the moment than Josh Hill.

Before I Die
01-05-2010, 01:34 AM
I think that Grant will be a good player once he gets a better motor and puts on some weight. I like his tackling and hands. I cant see him playing CHF any time soon. But he shows a lot more intensity at the moment than Josh Hill.

I thought he spent some time there tonight. I agree that he is quite a way from holding it down for 100 minutes a la Jonathan Brown, but in our rotating arrangement, I can see him getting minutes at CHF each week.

On tonight's showing, Hill will need to wait for injuries to occur before he is back in the ones.

Scorlibo
01-05-2010, 01:38 AM
Really liked his game, gets the fumbles with the chest marks but he's starting to show how good he is overhead. I think he should extend the dukes more often at this stage, because he doesn't really have the body at the moment to shield the ball for the chest mark. Great pressure again.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 03:45 AM
I think he should extend the dukes more often at this stage

I agree.

He'll get there though; his dukes are better than most.

For only his third senior game he showed a lot tonight. I'm really happy with him.

chef
01-05-2010, 07:45 AM
He was very impressive. He looks a player and now just needs to put some more meat on his bones and get fitter.

Desipura
01-05-2010, 11:05 AM
"Gee he has pace to burn". Got 5 metres ahead of Gwilt a few times which is no mean feat. Very sticky hands provided a target, I thought his tackling did not stick as well as it did against Adeliade. Alot to like about Grants game in my opinion.

EasternWest
01-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Showing enough to persist with him. And good on him, he must feel as if he's under heaps of pressure.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Maybe he should play further up the ground, hes a good field kick and played fairly well around the middle last night.

Doc26
01-05-2010, 11:33 AM
He showed quite a bit last night. Looks like he can now start to mix it at this level which will rapidly escalate his development. Along with Harbrow's and Gilbee's performances was one of only few pleasing aspects about last night's performance.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 11:40 AM
He really needs to work on his kicking. He missed a very gettable shot which could have iced the game with not much distance and angle. Earlier, Roughead kicked a more difficult goal from about 45m. How can a player like Jarrad Grant get a better kicking action?

I think he should probably be dropped for the Melbourne game. I don't think he did enough. Sure he took a few marks but did make some crucial errors. He also needs to get a lot bigger. It seems any player can easily just shrug him off. After being at the club for a while now I would've thought he'd be bigger than what he currently is.

G-Mo77
01-05-2010, 11:54 AM
He really needs to work on his kicking. He missed a very gettable shot which could have iced the game with not much distance and angle. Earlier, Roughead kicked a more difficult goal from about 45m. How can a player like Jarrad Grant get a better kicking action?

I think he should probably be dropped for the Melbourne game. I don't think he did enough. Sure he took a few marks but did make some crucial errors. He also needs to get a lot bigger. It seems any player can easily just shrug him off. After being at the club for a while now I would've thought he'd be bigger than what he currently is.

I'd continue to persist with him. He's a rookie still finding his feet and will continue to get better for the experience. Drop him and it might damage his confidence especially when there were more people out there that played a lot worse.

I don't think he is in our best 22 when we are fully fit neither is Roughead but IMO he stays in for next weeks game pending weather.

lemmon
01-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Displayed his ability to present and nice hands last night, his pressure continues to be fantastic and his pace looks fantastic for a potential key forward. Needs to learn to convert if he wants to be a top-liner, if he took his chances we walk away with four points last night.

Go_Dogs
01-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Grant was fairly good last night. He dropped a few marks he should have held, but also took a few nice ones. His defensive work rate was again pleasing. Shame he couldn't finish off in front of the goals.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Keep pumping games into this guy & he will continually get better, was very happy with his performance last night. Even though he made a couple of errors (passing to Everitt under pressure), he puts in the second efforts to lock the ball up, or win it back after giving it away.

More games under his belt & this guy could be anything.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Grant was fairly good last night. He dropped a few marks he should have held, but also took a few nice ones. His defensive work rate was again pleasing. Shame he couldn't finish off in front of the goals.

He has been ok - really like his defensive pressure and tackling, his hands and kicking for goal (should of kicked at least of of those in the last quarter) are a bit of a worry... I see he and Hill battling for the 1 spot. Grant has better defensive skills - Hill has better hands and is a better shot for goal...

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 03:54 PM
He has been ok - really like his defensive pressure and tackling, his hands and kicking for goal (should of kicked at least of of those in the last quarter) are a bit of a worry... I see he and Hill battling for the 1 spot. Grant has better defensive skills - Hill has better hands and is a better shot for goal...

As good as Grant works defensively, the bloke can't tackle. Everyone just shrugs him off like a ragdoll.

Mantis
01-05-2010, 06:37 PM
As good as Grant works defensively, the bloke can't tackle. Everyone just shrugs him off like a ragdoll.

His technique looks ok, he just isn't strong enough yet to stick his tackles.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-05-2010, 08:21 PM
His technique looks ok, he just isn't strong enough yet to stick his tackles.

Agree with this. His technique looks decent to me and he's got plenty of pace to worry the opposition.

Sadly - at the moment his defensive work is better than all our forwards (perhaps minus Hall).

alwaysadog
01-05-2010, 09:36 PM

I agree, surprisingly it's his small's skills that are a stand out and not his KPP ones. Don't think he's in our best 22 but he's come a long way quite quickly and if he keeps improving and gets his kicking right could be more than just useful.

Bulldog4332
02-05-2010, 12:23 AM

Grant is so far in front of Hill it is not funny, Grant has the best hands in the club, THE BEST, he is a one grabber, they are gold.

Gia, Gia, Gia - massive presure game, they set themselves for this game, they gave a third quarter spurt and were holding onto a three kick lead. The ball has ping ponged up and down the field and the game threatens to break open and you take a mark 30 out in front. 30 meters out in front to go 4 kicks up......this was an unforgivable error, he is paid to kick this goal. Just wait to see what the younglegs of Melb do to our aging legs next week, I hope you are ready for it. Time for some drastic measures at the selection table.

LostDoggy
02-05-2010, 02:06 AM
Grant is so far in front of Hill it is not funny, Grant has the best hands in the club, THE BEST, he is a one grabber, they are gold.

Gia, Gia, Gia - massive presure game, they set themselves for this game, they gave a third quarter spurt and were holding onto a three kick lead. The ball has ping ponged up and down the field and the game threatens to break open and you take a mark 30 out in front. 30 meters out in front to go 4 kicks up......this was an unforgivable error, he is paid to kick this goal. Just wait to see what the younglegs of Melb do to our aging legs next week, I hope you are ready for it. Time for some drastic measures at the selection table.

I really don't agree with this. I always thought Hill was a pretty damn good mark and I would've put coin on him slotting that goal Friday night. Jarrad Grant seems like he can be a player but to say he is ahead of Hill and has the best hands at the club is a big call for a guy that was struggling to get it going at VFL for a long time.

The Pie Man
02-05-2010, 09:10 AM
You expect a top 5 pick to be playing regular senior footy in his 3rd year, but the turnaround from VFL reserves at he conclusion of 09 to today is remarkable.

Played ok around the ground, finding targets with his field kicks - one dodgy handball after a mark trying to force the play, but I forgive him that for what he was trying to do

Dazza
02-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Really enjoyed his game on friday. His pressure was excellent. Again it's just his kicking for goal that is a bit of a worry but other than that I thought he had a good game and did enough to keep Hill out for another week IMO.

Before I Die
02-05-2010, 01:31 PM
I really don't agree with this. I always thought Hill was a pretty damn good mark and I would've put coin on him slotting that goal Friday night. Jarrad Grant seems like he can be a player but to say he is ahead of Hill and has the best hands at the club is a big call for a guy that was struggling to get it going at VFL for a long time.

Both of these guys are fit. One of them is playing in the AFL and doing well. The other is playing in the VFL and his form is ordinary. From where I sit that puts the guy in the AFL ahead.

Hill will become a regular again when Aker, Johnno and Eagle retire. Grant may struggle to stay in the team when Boyd, Ward and Picken are fit. However, he is a different type of player and if his form holds I think he is potentially best 22 even with that trio back.

alwaysadog
02-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Both of these guys are fit. One of them is playing in the AFL and doing well. The other is playing in the VFL and his form is ordinary. From where I sit that puts the guy in the AFL ahead.

Hill will become a regular again when Aker, Johnno and Eagle retire. Grant may struggle to stay in the team when Boyd, Ward and Picken are fit. However, he is a different type of player and if his form holds I think he is potentially best 22 even with that trio back.

Grant is showing positive signs but that's all, he has yet to do anything of substance, he's in the team and Hill's not at the moment but Hill has shown and done far more, albeit somewhat inconsistently and consistency hasn't been Grant's strength either.

He might be potentially anything or potentially nothing at all, don't let's get too carried away with some positive signs from Grant because there is at least one glaring weakness ie kicking and to be in our best 22 that must be fixed.

Before I Die
02-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Grant is showing positive signs but that's all, he has yet to do anything of substance, he's in the team and Hill's not at the moment but Hill has shown and done far more, albeit somewhat inconsistently and consistency hasn't been Grant's strength either.

He might be potentially anything or potentially nothing at all, don't let's get too carried away with some positive signs from Grant because there is at least one glaring weakness ie kicking and to be in our best 22 that must be fixed.

Not getting carried away, just stating the bleeding obvious. Grant is getting a game, Hill isn't. Regarding Grant's kicking, this is becoming an urban myth. No one ever backs up the criticism with statistics. There were worse misses than his on Friday night. He appears not to be an exceptionally long kick, though he obviously doesn't agree with this going on his deliberate approach to his second shot on goal the other night. But what evidence is there, other than two skips in his run up (didn't hurt Welsh and doesn't J. Brown do the same) to support the repeated claims that he is a poor shot for goal?

The Doctor
02-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Gia consistently fails to deliver in big moments in big games. He's not on his lonesone either. however for someone who is talked up by the club as a leader he often shirks the on field responsibility.

He seems to be more of a do as I say leader than a do as I do leader.

Scorlibo
02-05-2010, 02:29 PM
His field kicking was very good, that lead up mark, 1-2 with Addison, run through the centre and long and perfectly weighted kick to hall in the goal square was magnificent. I don't see how one miss is enough to poo-poo his goal kicking either. :confused:

He took 9 marks, could have taken more if not for nerves. I would put those dropped marks down to nerves or lack of muscle, because he is perhaps the best mark at the club.

I'm not sure why, but there seems to be much more support behind Roughead despite him having done less than Grant in their 2 games this year. Many seem to have judged Grant too early and now view him as somewhat of a lost cause, even though he is one of the most talented players on our list and is now putting in enough effort to contribute to the team while also gaining valuable experience.

GVGjr
02-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Gia consistently fails to deliver in big moments in big games. He's not on his lonesone either. however for someone who is talked up by the club as a leader he often shirks the on field responsibility.

I think your assessment of Giansiracusa is spot on but I don't necessarily think leaders of the club have to be the game breakers or match winners.
If he is the best leader of players we have then the "do as I say" approach is OK.

I was looking at the leadership group we have at the club and for a variety of reasons I don't think we have a standout.
- Murphy is too laid back
- Cooney attends club functions spending more time sending text messages than listening to the questions being asked of him
- Griffen really does shy away from setting the standard for the other players to follow
- Higgins probably 12 months away from serious consideration

And as a result of that guys that would otherwise not be regarded as match winners like Giansiracusa, Boyd, Cross and Morris seem to be the best candidates.

This is probably the wrong thread to go over this but our most gifted players don't seem to be ready for the top job.

LostDoggy
02-05-2010, 03:07 PM

I agree that Gia stuffed that up but to say he does not deliver in big games is not fair as i think that he was one of the best on friday night.

As much as i hate to say it but i think that maybe our captain had more to do with our loss then Gia

soupman
02-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Many seem to have judged Grant too early and now view him as somewhat of a lost cause, even though he is one of the most talented players on our list and is now putting in enough effort to contribute to the team while also gaining valuable experience.

I agree with this. It's in part because of their draft picks. Supporters are waiting for the top 5 pick to catch up to the lofty expectation that comes with that. Roughead however, as a young ruckman (who usually take a while) picked up with a mid range pick has the advantage of being classified a "steal".

Grant is looking really promising. He's getting involved up the ground much more than I expected, and whenever he's around the footy I feel we are half a chance as he has very quick hands and his pressure is fantastic.

He still has some issues obviously though. He often drops the uncontested passes to him which means he puts himself under pressure. His goal kicking is also a bit shaky, and he doesn't appear to be able to kick it much further than 40m from set shots (however him having a shot from 50m either suggests he thinks he is capable or was just a result of not having any space to kick into due to the flood). He's also very slight still, which means he'll struggle to hold tackles and the like.

Finally, and this is both a positive and negative, his hands in general play are very quick. It's almost as if he's getting rid of the footy before he has it. This is good because it keeps our run going, creates opportunities and makes us more dangerous in our attacking movements. However, some of his handballs are given to players immediately under pressure, often due to him not assessing the situation completely. I feel however when he starts to feel more comfortable at AFL level this will calm down a bit.

I want to keep him in the side, as atm his offering more than Hill in the same role, as he is contributing for more than a quarter or so. What I would like to see now is that when Hill does come back in is for Hill o be played on a wing in an Eagleton role. He's shown he can be dangerous off a wing (refer to early 2008) and it would mean that he would be in the play more.

LostDoggy
02-05-2010, 03:12 PM

I Agree, At present Grant is ahead of Hill and to say otherwise is stupid. The facts are that Grant is in the seniors and Hill is not. I also think on what i have seen so far that Grant's hands are also better

The Doctor
02-05-2010, 03:34 PM
I agree that Gia stuffed that up but to say he does not deliver in big games is not fair as i think that he was one of the best on friday night.

My point was big moments in big games.

Is it all well and good to have a good game but then fail when it matters? If we are going to win a grand final we need blokes who will step up when it matters.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-05-2010, 04:11 PM
My point was big moments in big games.

Is it all well and good to have a good game but then fail when it matters? If we are going to win a grand final we need blokes who will step up when it matters.

Always agree with your views, Doctor.

Gia seems to regularly make ridiculous, costly decisions in match changing moments. That miss v Melbourne in '05 was another example.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-05-2010, 04:17 PM
As far as Grant is concerned, he's a fair way ahead of Hill in almost every aspect of the game. Josh is a really talented player but has he ever played well v St. Kilda? Hill dominates sides like Richmond but struggles when the pressure is really ramped up. Additionally, Hill drifts in and out of games all too often. Does nothing for three quarters, and then has a spell of ten minutes where he does everything right. Potentially - Hill can still be anything. Whether it's his attitude or being played out of position that is the problem - I'm not sure.

Grant's pressure has been fantastic and I watched him closely on Friday Night. He worked very hard and for a player that reportedly has no fitness base, he's very fit. Credit to him for working hard on it over the pre-season. His attitude is great and he forced hurried disposals which brought about Saints turnovers. In the second half, Grant pushed further up the field and presented time and time again. His leap and hands were terrific - gave us that 'get out' option a number of times. Unfortunately his goal kicking still needs plenty of work, but the signs are very encouraging IMO. I've always been a fan of Grant, but I think he can be a pretty special player in 1-2 years. Obviously needs to build core strength but he's got a lot of tricks. Very capable at ground level and has extremely quick hands. His 'midfield' game is very good, he simply needs to improve on the KPP aspects that will come with pre-seasons and experience.

LostDoggy
02-05-2010, 07:18 PM
I agree TBB. Grant reminds me a bit of murphy in some ways . Do you think he can play the season out?

lemmon
02-05-2010, 07:36 PM
I think your assessment of Giansiracusa is spot on but I don't necessarily think leaders of the club have to be the game breakers or match winners.
If he is the best leader of players we have then the "do as I say" approach is OK.

I was looking at the leadership group we have at the club and for a variety of reasons I don't think we have a standout.
- Murphy is too laid back
- Cooney attends club functions spending more time sending text messages than listening to the questions being asked of him
- Griffen really does shy away from setting the standard for the other players to follow
- Higgins probably 12 months away from serious consideration

And as a result of that guys that would otherwise not be regarded as match winners like Giansiracusa, Boyd, Cross and Morris seem to be the best candidates.

This is probably the wrong thread to go over this but our most gifted players don't seem to be ready for the top job.

Sorry to go off topic but Boyd is the standout and probably should be the front runner for our next captain. He has managed to turn himself into an A grade midfielder so not only is he respected but he is beginning to grow his profile, he has a tremendous work ethic, let's his actions speak for themselves and is one of the guys who is 100% committed to making this a standout club. You can see in the way he is around the boys that he expects 100% from the group and will accept nothing else. I don't think Crossy has enough confidence in himself to really stand up in front of the group and take charge while Morris is probably too much of an insular character to be captain.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-05-2010, 09:18 PM
I agree TBB. Grant reminds me a bit of murphy in some ways . Do you think he can play the season out?

Nah, he won't be able to play the season out and I'd expect a down period sooner or later. He's still a year or two off having the strength to consistently match it at AFL level, but the signs are very good. He's contributed across the entirity of both games, rather than just a few short spells here and there.

It'll be interesting to see how we handle him when he does have a quiet/average game. Will they drop him straight away or give him a week or so to bounce back?

Sedat
02-05-2010, 09:36 PM

Gia seems to regularly make ridiculous, costly decisions in match changing moments. That miss v Melbourne in '05 was another example.
Could really argue the same for Johnno, who has twice missed gettable shots for goal after the siren to win us matches. It wasn't even the miss against the Cats but moreso the fact that he panicked and tried to play on despite the time clock being 32 minutes.

In fairnss to Gia, he did spot up Johnno beautifully with great vision in that after-the-siren loss to North when other players would have blazed away without looking. That was one of the best short kicks under pressure I've seen, and his vision to even spot him up was outstanding.

What I like about Grant is that he is quick and defensively oriented, two qualities that are in short supply in our forward line at the moment. He is going to be a very difficult player for opposition to match up on once he develops the tank to go with his natural gifts.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 10:19 AM
He must be working really hard on his game, every one said that he puts in no effort so its good to see him actually trying to improve himself. I hope we persist in him for a while even if he has a bad game so we can build his confidence.

Mofra
03-05-2010, 10:46 AM
In fairnss to Gia, he did spot up Johnno beautifully with great vision in that after-the-siren loss to North when other players would have blazed away without looking. That was one of the best short kicks under pressure I've seen, and his vision to even spot him up was outstanding.
Possibly the best kick under pressure I have ever seen was Gia a couple of weeks back, surrounded by 3 Hawks. He held the ball up to allow Hall a chance to double back then get a step on his opponent, then delivered it lace-out whilst dancing and weaving around his opponents.

Desipura
03-05-2010, 11:01 AM

Totally agree. Its easier to pass off the ball then it is to take responsibility and kick the vital goal.

EasternWest
03-05-2010, 04:58 PM

Not that I disagree entirely, but that in traffic weave and left foot snap in the PF last year was a high pressure moment of magic.

azabob
03-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Not that I disagree entirely, but that in traffic weave and left foot snap in the PF last year was a high pressure moment of magic.

But then later on didn't he miss an easier one?

Before I Die
03-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Ok, I am confused. I thought I clicked on the "Jarrad Grant" thread, but clearly this is the "Let's make Gia a scapegoat" thread. Sorry I mean, the "I hate to say it, but it's Gia's fault" thread. I get it that some posters have a very strong historical investment in the 'Gia is soft' myth, and are terrified of the idea that he may become our next captain. But is it really necessary to hijack completely unrelated threads?

Dazza
03-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Grant has been impressive. His pace has been the standout for me. Once he develops more core strength he'll be very hard to stop. So far he's probably been putting more pressure on the opposition than any of our other forwards. I'm not sure if they are his coaching instructions or not but he's doing very well in that regard.

One concern I have is his goalkicking. Seems to lack penetration.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 09:00 PM
He must be working really hard on his game, every one said that he puts in no effort so its good to see him actually trying to improve himself. I hope we persist in him for a while even if he has a bad game so we can build his confidence.

I'm with you here.

After reading all the comments about GRant I thought I was watching the wrong player in the past couple of weeks because he has been terrific. His attack on the ball and opponent has been first class and he looks good whenever he goes near the ball.

He really does look the goods with a big future.

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 09:46 PM
With his goal kicking is it a technique issue that can be fixed with some good coaching? It just looks like he cant make the distance and he has to concentrate more on distance then accuracy but hopefully distance will come to him when he gets a bit stronger.

FrediKanoute
04-05-2010, 10:36 PM

Can't agree. Get games into him and he will only get better. Dropping the kid after a loss where he could have iced the game will do wonders for shattering his confidence. He did enough to hold his spot and for mine deserves to play against the Demons. His tackling is good. He presented more this week than last week and he gets involved.

bornadog
05-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Can't agree. Get games into him and he will only get better. Dropping the kid after a loss where he could have iced the game will do wonders for shattering his confidence. He did enough to hold his spot and for mine deserves to play against the Demons. His tackling is good. He presented more this week than last week and he gets involved.

I thought he played well and has started to show something. He had nine marks, five tackles and 17 disposals. Yes he made some errors and should have kicked a goal in the last, but for his 3rd game only, we need to develop him more. Melbourne is the ideal team to play against.

chef
05-05-2010, 07:42 AM
With his goal kicking is it a technique issue that can be fixed with some good coaching? It just looks like he cant make the distance and he has to concentrate more on distance then accuracy but hopefully distance will come to him when he gets a bit stronger.

He should get more distance with his kicks once he gets some more strength into his legs. He is going to be a very good player when he fills out:).

alwaysadog
05-05-2010, 11:30 AM
I Agree, At present Grant is ahead of Hill and to say otherwise is stupid. The facts are that Grant is in the seniors and Hill is not. I also think on what i have seen so far that Grant's hands are also better

Depends what we are talking about vis a vis hands. If we are talking speed in the dishing off hand passes that's one thing in terms of general sure handedness then Hill comes back into the equation.

Mofra
05-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Depends what we are talking about vis a vis hands. If we are talking speed in the dishing off hand passes that's one thing in terms of general sure handedness then Hill comes back into the equation.
Even that would be debatable - Hill has him for leap, but I like Grant as a contested mark too, despite his lack of strength at the minute.
His dish off, gather and run throught he centre of the ground for an effective inside 50 was beautiful play and on form he is currently part of our best fit 22.

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Did a decent job tonight i thought, is really starting to make a forward spot his own.

11 disposals, 4 marks, 1 goal & 6 tackles.

Hotdog60
07-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Did a decent job tonight i thought, is really starting to make a forward spot his own.

I agree, he's certainly trying hard. I don't think I can say the same for Hill.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2010, 11:49 PM

Certainly tried hard, and kept chasing hard, slowly but surely improving with each game.

KT31
08-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Showing a bit more than some of the senior players.
IMO a key player in our future as a top team.

angelopetraglia
08-05-2010, 12:52 AM
The goal he kicked was sensational. Doing enough to keep his spot.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-05-2010, 12:52 AM
He's got a presence in the forward half at the moment. He is starting to lead and present well, he's pressuring well and he isn't giving up. His attitude has been first rate and as a result, he's ahead of quite a few senior players. It's a real credit to him, as many were jumping down his throat only a month or so ago. That goal was a beauty too.

bulldogsman
08-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Showing a bit more than some of the senior players.
IMO a key player in our future as a top team.

I agree, if he keeps improving I can't see why he can't be in our best 22.

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 01:06 AM
How was it not paid a mark in the last 10minutes looked like a mark from where I was sitting, but he played pretty well tonight!

Sockeye Salmon
08-05-2010, 01:10 AM
How was it not paid a mark in the last 10minutes looked like a mark from where I was sitting, but he played pretty well tonight!

I saw it on TV when I got home, it hit the ground.

anfo27
08-05-2010, 01:11 AM
Tried hard tonight and that goal were all positives for the kid but he got a lesson from Bruce tonight. Conditions didn't suit his game and he got pushed off the ball too easy and his tackles didn't stick. But overall i am happy with what he has brought to the team and would keep him in there.

Lurgan
08-05-2010, 01:43 AM
I thought he was OK again tonight, when the conditions probably didn't suit a taller player. His pressure on a Melbourne player, just enough to stop the guy from getting a clean possession but not giving way a free kick, was part of the play that got the ball to Griffen, who then had a chance to kick the winning goal.

chef
08-05-2010, 07:35 AM
He's got a presence in the forward half at the moment. He is starting to lead and present well, he's pressuring well and he isn't giving up. His attitude has been first rate and as a result, he's ahead of quite a few senior players. It's a real credit to him, as many were jumping down his throat only a month or so ago. That goal was a beauty too.

It was.

He also puts his head over the ball and goes in hard. When he gets knocked over he gets straight back up and goes again, Josh Hill could learn a bit by watching this kid play. Bright future from Grant at the Dogs.

Desipura
08-05-2010, 07:52 AM
It was.

He also puts his head over the ball and goes in hard. When he gets knocked over he gets straight back up and goes again, Josh Hill could learn a bit by watching this kid play. Bright future from Grant at the Dogs.
Josh Hill was credited with 10 tackles, not many stuck though.

chef
08-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Josh Hill was credited with 10 tackles, not many stuck though.

That surprised me. But his tackling is usually pretty good, it's when the balls on the ground and someone is coming the other ways that's the problem and something he needs to iron out of his game if he wants a permanent spot.

Go_Dogs
08-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Thought Grant looked very lively last night, and whilst he didn't have as big a week numbers wise, he is really becoming a player who can have some influence on the contest which is pleasing.

His work rate, and football nous was on display last night. One particular piece of play where he was in a marking contest with Bruce, probably just forward of centre, and neatly put a little bit of body work on Bruce and tapped the ball forward to his own advantage. Couldn't quite gather the crumbs, but it was just the way he thought through the situation which was most pleasing.

I'm becoming a bigger fan, week by week at the moment, so hats off to Grant. He's been impressive.

The Pie Man
08-05-2010, 09:34 AM

Thanks SS - sitting behind the Ponsford goals, I couldn't figure out what happened.

Another solid game for Grant, going some way to cementing a spot...which I didn't see coming a month ago.

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 10:23 AM

Ahh fair enough then, looked a mark from where I was sitting.

LostDoggy
15-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Still makes a few mistakes, which are probably to be expected given how many games he has played. But he is continually getting better every week, presenting well across half forward & really troubling defenders with his speed. Works hard all over the ground to get to a contest & his hands have gotten better each week also, really happy with him.

His stats for today.

18 disposals, 11 marks & 2 inside 50.

Surprised he didn't get noted for any tackles, interesting.

LostDoggy
15-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Still makes a few mistakes, which are probably to be expected given how many games he has played. But he is continually getting better every week, presenting well across half forward & really troubling defenders with his speed. Works hard all over the ground to get to a contest & his hands have gotten better each week also, really happy with him.

His stats for today.

18 disposals, 11 marks & 2 inside 50.

Yeahh he played pretty good, I'm suprised he didnt get any tackles as well but he tried and chased they just didnt really stick.

He plays really well up the ground and hes a pretty good field kick.

Mofra
15-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Possibly his best game for the club. Really looked like he belonged today - his hands are amazing, whether overhead or off the deck. His speed is brilliant too.

Still needs to work on his kicking penetration and obviously add strength, but he is already earning his spot in the side on performance so will be great when he adds another pre-season or two.

Scorlibo
15-05-2010, 06:42 PM
So pleased with how he's coming along, he's just trying his guts out and earning his place in the side. With time I hope he gets more of a go deep inside fifty because he'll probably play from the goal square in years to come.

Topdog
15-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Still needs to work on his kicking penetration and obviously add strength, but he is already earning his spot in the side on performance so will be great when he adds another pre-season or two.

Yep, its great to see him putting in such a big effort.

LostDoggy
15-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Its good they are allowing him to find his feet without the pressure of being the KPP saviour. This is where Hall is great as well cause he has the pressure on him and gGrant can learn the game and hopefully in 2 years he can take over at full forward

ReLoad
15-05-2010, 07:15 PM
i thought he was fantastic today, he is still a daddy long legs in terms of physical size, but here's hoping he bulks up a bit, as much as i hate pumping up someones tyres prematurely and im not saying he is nearly as good but - he has a bit of the Robert Murphy about him.

Twodogs
15-05-2010, 07:20 PM
His kicking has improved a fair bit since last year. Some of his kicks to Hall on the lead have been pretty good over the last few weeks. He is also a good kick into space and his snapping for goal at is fairly accurate.

What he really needs to work on is his set shots for goal.

Before I Die
15-05-2010, 07:46 PM
i thought he was fantastic today, he is still a daddy long legs in terms of physical size, but here's hoping he bulks up a bit, as much as i hate pumping up someones tyres prematurely and im not saying he is nearly as good but - he has a bit of the Robert Murphy about him.

I think he can play the same role, but he is a very different type of player. He has the pace, marking strength and vision, but no dancing feet, quick sideways movement or instantanteous playing on. What he does have that Murph doesn't is very quick hands, which the players around him need to feed off, and 6 more centimeters of height.

LostDoggy
15-05-2010, 07:50 PM

Me too.

I think they only give you the tackle stat where there is a free payed or stoppage so a lot of tackles go 'unstated'.

Its a shame because many tackles which don't result in the above are still very effective.

EasternWest
15-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Continues to apply himself well.

Anybody else notice that he has a peculiar tendency to drop the ball point straight down when he kicks?

Bumper Bulldogs
15-05-2010, 08:01 PM

Anybody else notice that he has a peculiar tendency to drop the ball point straight down when he kicks?

Yes i made comment on this as well, It didn't look comfortable at all but his disposal was better than weeks gone by.

hujsh
15-05-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm hoping he's a bit like Wight the way he struggled to bulk up but then put on about 10 kgs one pre-season.

Lurgan
15-05-2010, 11:54 PM
I thought he was good again today. He made good position and his funny kicking style seems to be working for him, even if he does drop the ball on its point. It's going to be a challenge for him, but he really needs to fill in for Murphy, if Murphy misses the next few weeks.

There's still something that looks funny and laconic about Grant (even though a close-up shows that he's trying hard) and he sometimes seems to go for the 'amazing' look-away, wrong-footed handball that really isn't going to work. He's done plenty of that sort of thing at Williamstown. There was a game last year where he had the ball on his own in the goal square with no other player close to him. Instead of just kicking the ball, he tried some sort of soft, trickle down the boot which spun away and only just went over the goal line. It would have been the worst miss ever.

There was one thing that happened today that I think they'll be showing him again during the week. Towards the left end of the TV screen a ball was kicked towards him but it was bouncing. He waited. Just before the ball got to him, two Swans players got there first. If he had attacked the ball he would have been there first, and would have had some momentum to get away from chasing players.

The other slightly strange thing that happened was in, I think, the last quarter, when a ball was kicked towards Grant and big Tommy in the forward line. Neither seemed to want to go for it, even though they clearly looked the taller players in the area. A bit of indecision and of course Sydney took it away.

Still, I'm pleased with Grant's progress this year (anything to do with the changeover of coaching staff at Williamstown?) and I'm hoping he turns into a damaging, running half forward.

Raw Toast
16-05-2010, 12:15 AM
Still, I'm pleased with Grant's progress this year (anything to do with the changeover of coaching staff at Williamstown?) and I'm hoping he turns into a damaging, running half forward.

I know some people associated with Willi who think the new coach there has helped him a heap.

comrade
16-05-2010, 12:19 AM
I know some people associated with Willi who think the new coach there has helped him a heap.

I'm not suprised.

chef
16-05-2010, 07:41 AM

Yep, the same as Garry Ablett Jnr. A good technique with less margin for error.

Dazza
16-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Thought his game was great and is really earning his spot in the side. Couple of times today he looked a bit indecisive but thats expected with his experience levels.

I like his second efforts when he has made an error he seems to really try hard to get the ball back or cause a stoppage. Good signs.

Along with Everitt he has been the most pleasing thing to come out of the season so far.

LostDoggy
16-05-2010, 02:05 PM
He is improving and looks to have a bright future. But he really has to hit targets by hand and foot against the top sides. Missing targets could be fatal in finals. I know it will come with experience, but the one thing we need to really pick up on now is the number of unforced errors we make.

LostDog
22-05-2010, 05:53 PM
NAB Rising Star surely

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-05-2010, 06:05 PM
It's very encouraging that each week since he has come into the team, he has improved on his previous weeks effort. That to me signifies that he is becoming both accustomed to the intensity of AFL footy and more comfortable and confident in his abilities at this level.
His marking skills and decision making skills really came to the fore today, and nice for his confidence to kick straight.

LostDoggy
22-05-2010, 06:44 PM
NAB Rising Star surely

I think you might be onto somthing

LostDoggy
22-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Very impressed with Grant today, he is playing at a very reasonabble level now and can still get better.
Raised the bar again today.

anfo27
22-05-2010, 06:58 PM
He's a talent and he just gets better every week and seems more comfortable every week. I missed that great mark he took in the second because Da Druid was yelling something out and i turned to him to make out what he was saying and missed Grants mark, damn it Da Druid

GVGjr
22-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Encouraging game from him. He's looking like he belongs in the senior side.

chef
22-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Encouraging game from him. He's looking like he belongs in the senior side.

He is. I can't wait for him to fill out, he is going to be very hard to match up on.

The Coon Dog
22-05-2010, 07:33 PM
On the back of the past 2 weeks he'd be close to a Rising Star Nomination.

Looks so much more at home in the seniors than at Willy.

craigsahibee
22-05-2010, 08:36 PM
I actually called him "Granty" today.

Not quite deserving of that moniker yet, but if he keeps churning out efforts like his past month, it will not be far away.

mighty_west
22-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Very impressed again from J Grant on todays performance, and his last few weeks.

He just looks like a different player compared to the one playing at Willy, he would always show the skills, but not on a consistant basis, he just seems to be really putting in a hell of alot more, sometimes at Willy, could look lazy at times.

He's a keeper.

Dancin' Douggy
22-05-2010, 08:49 PM
On the back of the past 2 weeks he'd be close to a Rising Star Nomination.

Looks so much more at home in the seniors than at Willy.

This is a very interesting post Coon Dog.
It seems to me that there are players who have been highly rated by the best talent spotters in the land, who just seem to tread water at the next level down.

It may be like trying to enjoy a great singer, but the band they're playing with is hopeless.

Grant never seemed to show much when I saw him playing for Willy aside from the odd moment here and there. But put him in a good band, and wow, the kid can really sing.

He seems to be slowly rising to the occasion. It's as if certain players can't really shine until they're on the big stage, and somehow, the talent they have can be spotted by the recruiting and coaching staff even if they don't shine in the 2nd's.

I thought his game today was great and that he's been building steadily since being named.

GO LEGO MAN!!!!!

boydogs
22-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Quote from another forum

The year Grant and Henderson were drafted, the Dogs asked both boys what they thought of becoming the number one forward.

Henderson replied..."umm I don't want the pressure, happy being the Henry Playfair third string forward".

Grant replied "bring it on, I want to be number 1".

Says it all really.

Sounds like he always wanted to be a big time player

Doc26
22-05-2010, 10:18 PM
He really is showing he has quite a range of tricks available at this level. On skills alone has good speed, clean hands, good mark and his kicking is on the up. How quickly things can turn. Is the feel good story for the Dogs so far this year, and has become our very own Barlow or Pods of the SuperCoach world.

LostDoggy
22-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Good timing by Jarrad to start showing his wares just as Murph is struggling, a handy replacement at the very least.

LostDoggy
23-05-2010, 12:44 AM
Loving his game at the moment, always knew this guy had talent. Has got his body right & a decent pre season, looking the goods.

AndrewP6
23-05-2010, 01:14 AM

Not quite deserving of that moniker yet, but if he keeps churning out efforts like his past month, it will not be far away.

I've been calling him that without even thinking about it! :)

gohardorgohome
23-05-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm very impressed by his marking tackling and attack on the ball. He is still very skinny and seems to tire easily. He is worth his spot in the team now for sure. Give him two more pre seasons and he'll be bordering on an A grader.

Desipura
23-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Granty really had no right to take that mark in the last qtr. He was 5 metres behind his opponent but due to his pace managed to get in front of him and take a relatively easy mark. The guy is seriously quick!
For memory Boydy kicked it to him 50m out from goal.

Go_Dogs
23-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Continues to do all that's asked of him.

Will be interesting to see how he gets on against some of the better sides like Geelong and Collingwood.

GVGjr
23-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Continues to do all that's asked of him.

Will be interesting to see how he gets on against some of the better sides like Geelong and Collingwood.

Huge challenge for him because he will come across a lot better defensive units. At least he will go into the bigger games with a lot more self belief.

strebla
23-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Really has impressed the last few weeks considering he was in the Willy magoo's late last year he must have really busted a gut during pre-season. Interesting that a few of his detractors have nothing to say though!!

LostDoggy
23-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Gilbee just said on the Sunday Footy Show, that his nickname is Merlin.

anfo27
23-05-2010, 01:15 PM

I heard that and it made me laugh, thats a great call and can't believe i didn't pick that one out myself.

ledge
23-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Must say he isnt the big tall strong forward I was thinking he would be, the one who was played in that position last year against Carlton.
Will he take Halls position in 2 years or is he to be a CHF I dont know what Eades plans are for him now as he seems to be playing around the centre a lot.
Does anyone know ?
He seems to be getting more confidence now and I am enjoying his improvement.

Triple M have a nickname for him too, cant recall it but its wierd and its something to do with his legs I think.

LostDog
23-05-2010, 04:01 PM
I heard that and it made me laugh, thats a great call and can't believe i didn't pick that one out myself.

same this is classic

Doc26
23-05-2010, 06:07 PM

There's something half human about him. Would be happy with Spock or Vulcan.

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/6293/spockvulcan.jpg http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2065/jarradgranttraining.jpg

LostDoggy
23-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Must say he isnt the big tall strong forward I was thinking he would be, the one who was played in that position last year against Carlton.
Will he take Halls position in 2 years or is he to be a CHF I dont know what Eades plans are for him now as he seems to be playing around the centre a lot.
Does anyone know ?
He seems to be getting more confidence now and I am enjoying his improvement.

Triple M have a nickname for him too, cant recall it but its wierd and its something to do with his legs I think.

Spindlesticks becuase his legs are so thin

Greystache
23-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Spindlesticks becuase his legs are so thin

Spindleshanks

stefoid
24-05-2010, 11:19 AM

Just call him Spock.

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Spindleshanks

Yeah thats it. I was close :P

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Will he take Halls position in 2 years or is he to be a CHF I dont know what Eades plans are for him now as he seems to be playing around the centre a lot.Does anyone know ?

We have Roughhead and Jones starting to come through as potential FF/CHF options, with Cordy in the wings. Jarrad has said himself that he sees himself as a Murphy type, and at this stage I would tend to agree, minus the tricks but with more defensive oomph and better hands.

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 02:47 PM

Holy crap, we've been calling him that for the last few weeks.
That's fantastic!

Greystache
25-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Unlucky not to get the rising star nomination this week, Fyfe from Fremantle got it. Another good game against Essendon on Friday night footy and he should be a shoe in.

Spargo1966
25-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Agree on the Rising Star Award, was just checking out age criteria and he qualifies!

Murphy'sLore
25-05-2010, 12:52 PM
It must be his turn!

A little wizardly magic should do the trick.

Greystache
25-05-2010, 01:14 PM
A little wizardly magic should do the trick.

Your logic is sound.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 12:42 AM
On a down night tonight for the whole team, i still thought he played well. He is averaging very good figures for a first year player, would be good if he could get a couple of goals in his bank for some of the hard work he does. Constantly tries to present at every opportunity, i think he is doing ok across that CHF area.

Needs to work on his left foot though.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-05-2010, 12:47 AM
On a down night tonight for the whole team, i still thought he played well. He is averaging very good figures for a first year player, would be good if he could get a couple of goals in his bank for some of the hard work he does. Constantly tries to present at every opportunity, i think he is doing ok across that CHF area.

Needs to work on his left foot though.

Playing that CHF role pretty well and leads high up the ground.

Should we start playing him out of the square, though? We look dreadful when the ball hits the ground and we desperately need another leading forward deep. Grant is very quick, has good hands and presents. Might be time to try it, despite him playing well up the ground.

jazzadogs
29-05-2010, 01:46 AM
Lack of a left foot was the biggest issue I had with his game tonight. That kick which Cross dropped, whilst well-placed, would have actually been quite difficult to mark given the strange/different nature in which the ball was spinning. A left foot kick out in front would have been a much better option. Stack also got caught without a left foot when he got caught.

Still a very good game by Grant, still showing a lot of improvement and was a bright light on very dismal night.

macca
29-05-2010, 02:47 AM
Lack of a left foot was the biggest issue I had with his game tonight. That kick which Cross dropped, whilst well-placed, would have actually been quite difficult to mark given the strange/different nature in which the ball was spinning. A left foot kick out in front would have been a much better option. Stack also got caught without a left foot when he got caught.

Still a very good game by Grant, still showing a lot of improvement and was a bright light on very dismal night.

His contested mark in 4th quarter was a ripper.

Scorlibo
29-05-2010, 02:51 AM
Does he really need a left foot? Most key forwards seem to get by just fine without it, it's just because he's been playing up the ground that the issue has even arisen. Plus is was only the one kick which didn't come off, and one kick was a beauty.

chef
29-05-2010, 07:37 AM
How good was his pick up and weave through a pack for a snap at goal that only just missed, this kid is going to be a very good player:).

GVGjr
29-05-2010, 08:31 AM
How good was his pick up and weave through a pack for a snap at goal that only just missed, this kid is going to be a very good player:).

The checkside kick because he didn't want to kick with the left foot? If so, it was a dynamic burst that was undone by poor skill execution.

Happy Days
29-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Does he really need a left foot? Most key forwards seem to get by just fine without it, it's just because he's been playing up the ground that the issue has even arisen. Plus is was only the one kick which didn't come off, and one kick was a beauty.

It all depends.

If he's going to play as a true key forward, then no, its not as important. But if he's going to play the high half-forward, Bob Murphy-style role, which is appearing more and more likely, then its going to be something that he's going to want to work on.

Hot_Doggies
29-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Yes, he needs to work on his left foot. Have seen him use his left for snap shots at Williamstown, can't recall a drop punt though.

jazzadogs
29-05-2010, 11:46 AM
As GVGJr said, that was actually the more obvious example of him needing a left foot. No matter how good he might think he is at kicking a checkside off his right, working on his left would have probably given him a goal last night.

The dodging and weaving did excite me.

craigsahibee
29-05-2010, 11:49 AM

No excuses for Crossy. That was crucial to the result. AFL players are expected to mark those balls when uncontested like that.

Grant was good again last night.

How is it that these kids get through the system now without being able to use their non preferred side.

I miss Leon Cameron.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 12:43 PM
I remember a couple of matches ago his left foot from the boundary but that was a snap not a drop punt so dunno.

AndrewP6
29-05-2010, 12:45 PM
As GVGJr said, that was actually the more obvious example of him needing a left foot. No matter how good he might think he is at kicking a checkside off his right, working on his left would have probably given him a goal last night.

The dodging and weaving did excite me.

Bombers fan sitting next to me even commented "Jeez, what an awesome sidestep!"

Topdog
29-05-2010, 02:11 PM
No excuses for Crossy. That was crucial to the result. AFL players are expected to mark those balls when uncontested like that..

Agreed, a terrible dropped mark.

Mofra
29-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Beasley never learned to kick with his left foot, and was the greatest goal kicker of the 80s.

In the modern game I hope he develops one soon because the 1 lower percentage shot on goal it costs him per game could be important down the track.

The only criticism I have of his game though. Rapidly becoming a very important player for us.

Mofra
29-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Agreed, a terrible dropped mark.
He should have taken it on the chest, even with the ball spin IMO.

chef
29-05-2010, 05:12 PM
The checkside kick because he didn't want to kick with the left foot? If so, it was a dynamic burst that was undone by poor skill execution.

The majority of forwards do this.

Dry Rot
06-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Thoughts on Grant's game tonight? Sounded pretty good on the radio.

ledge
06-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Exceptional, he tried his guts out when chasing or attacking, he is very quick on his feet or recovering for second efforts..where he fits in a position best is the question.
I personally think he is still a forward.

If sticky hands is his strong point he is going to be one hell of a footballer once he starts taking marks and our players look for him a bit more.
My only worry is his kicking action, looks like he is kicking off the wrong foot every time.

LostDoggy
06-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Hanging to see his goal in the last, they were pretty excited on radio.

He is one of the only shining lights this season, very exciting.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Thoughts on Grant's game tonight? Sounded pretty good on the radio.

He is the shining light this season. Keeps on showing something every game.
I am really loving his attack on the ball.
It's been a while since we've had a young tall come in and show us more than just a cameo every once and a while.
He has been a real contributor each week he's played.
Pretty soon he will have some scrutiny from other coaches, will be interesting to see how he copes with that. That will be his next lesson.

chef
06-06-2010, 08:47 PM
This kid is going to be a star:)

Mofra
06-06-2010, 08:55 PM
How a bloke as skinny as he is continues to add physical presence to the forwardline, I'll never know. He puts his body on the line every chance he gets, and looked the quickest Bulldog out there tonight.

Between his super-sticky hands, his acceleration & footspeed, his endeavour and his football brain (which is very good) he really could be anything.

LostDoggy
06-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Just watched the goal on afl.com.au

His burst of speed was awesome, from the middle of Etihad all the way into about 20 out.

Dry Rot
06-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Just saw it now. Ripper. Must have been great live.

choconmientay
06-06-2010, 09:10 PM

He got me really excited. (the only thing for the whole game) I stood up and yelled my heart out for the 30 seconds until he kicked that running goal ...... It was a bit weird because I was surrounded by pies fans :(

LostDoggy
06-06-2010, 09:14 PM
I love the kid. Simple!
And he has a very bright future ahead of him!
Maybe transfer the meat on Karmichael Hunt's Quads to Grant and he's complete ;)

LostDoggy
06-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Jesus is he quick, that burst in the 1st quater when he beat about 5 Collingwood players to the ball punched it forward before he missed the ball with his kick was amazing

mjp
06-06-2010, 09:26 PM
How a bloke as skinny as he is continues to add physical presence to the forwardline, I'll never know.

'Cos attitude counts for WAY more than body size when it comes to creating a physical presence.

Grant and Cross were unbelievable in their attack on the ball in the last quarter.

Mofra
06-06-2010, 09:57 PM
'Cos attitude counts for WAY more than body size when it comes to creating a physical presence.

Grant and Cross were unbelievable in their attack on the ball in the last quarter.
Too true.
In a way, worrying. Grant is a ~10 gamer who hasn't strung together a full season at any level for 3 years and plays like one of our most important players.

He is a world away from the Grant playing VFL last year who looked lazy at times, and was dropped to the 2nds late in the year.

EasternWest
06-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Great goal. So much said in that one passage of play.

soupman
06-06-2010, 11:07 PM
This kid is exciting.

For a player that was touted as a future full-forward in the Fevola mould when drafted, he has shown so much as a half forward in the style of a Robert Murphy. His pace is exceptional, that goal he kicked was awesome and one of the few highlights of tonight. The taps he does to his advantage, the quick little gather and handballs he does and his ability to weave at high speed is so impressive, and with strong hands on top of this I can see him being a very dangerous player for a long time.

The only query is really his kicking, and even then it seems to be very much in the same sort of style as Ablett's, except as of yet less reliable. I have high hopes that we may have another exceptional Grant on our hands.

Remi Moses
06-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Love his smarts going to be good thatlad.might be in a spot with MRP with that incident with Reid.

Mantis
06-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Just saw it now. Ripper. Must have been great live

Not really, we were still approx. 20 points down and were never going to win at that stage so his personal achievement was just glossing over a sub-standard performance.

AndrewP6
06-06-2010, 11:21 PM
He's got a great future, if the planets align. Actually thought he was better overall last week, but that goal was a beauty.

LostDoggy
06-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Unfortunately he will be having a spell for 1-2 weeks for his hit on Reid. Have only seen it once but it didn't look good!

LostDoggy
06-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Any footage of the incident?

jazzadogs
07-06-2010, 01:40 AM
Unfortunately he will be having a spell for 1-2 weeks for his hit on Reid. Have only seen it once but it didn't look good!
I was at the game and honestly can't remember what the incident was...not good that people think he will get rubbed out.

Very pleased with his game, and his general progress. Round 11 Rising Star?

Dry Rot
07-06-2010, 01:46 AM
Not really, we were still approx. 20 points down and were never going to win at that stage so his personal achievement was just glossing over a sub-standard performance.

Don't disagree about the overall sub standard performance, but after being hammered all night, wasn't that a great fillip?

I wish I'd seen that live. One of the goals of the year IMO.

chef
07-06-2010, 09:01 AM
I was at the game and honestly can't remember what the incident was...not good that people think he will get rubbed out.

Very pleased with his game, and his general progress. Round 11 Rising Star?

It will be hard to beat Jordan Gysberts this week.

chef
07-06-2010, 09:07 AM

Don't know about at the ground, but it certainly got me off the couch. I genuinely thought we were still a chance to steal the game at that stage.

Murphy'sLore
07-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Could we send the rest of the senior players to that boot camp (the Mulligan's boogie board one), it seems to have done the trick with Grant:)

Ozza
07-06-2010, 12:16 PM

Ahhhh c'mon Mantis - it was pretty exciting stuff regardless of the state of the game!

He had an ordinary day overall, but it was an exciting 15 seconds or so!

Desipura
21-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Did anyone catch the boys singing the team song after the game? Funniest thing I have seen in a while was Grant bopping to our club song with his head moving side to side as if he was doing it to the beat.

w3design
21-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Saw that :)

Thought he was a bit unlucky to not get a 50 metre penalty when Waters elbowed him the head after taking a mark.

Desipura
21-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Saw that :)

Thought he was a bit unlucky to not get a 50 metre penalty when Waters elbowed him the head after taking a mark.
I thought the same. As strange as it may sound, I was thinking at the time that another goal may have assured him the rising start for this week.

LostDoggy
21-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Did anyone catch the boys singing the team song after the game? Funniest thing I have seen in a while was Grant bopping to our club song with his head moving side to side as if he was doing it to the beat.

Onset of delayed concussion.

LostDoggy
21-06-2010, 08:52 PM
You could argue on his current form Grant has made himself a crucial part of our team (structurally) this year. My question is, is he going to need a break at some point or can he play right through (hopefully) deep into september?

westbulldog
21-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Waters was off the ground and hit Grant late.......I immediately thought 50 metres and a week for Waters but not a bloody thing from the green wood ducks......
The out of bounds error was hilarious, the ball was a foot over the line and even our blokes stopped......and then played on for a resulting goal.

Desipura
22-06-2010, 09:39 AM
You could argue on his current form Grant has made himself a crucial part of our team (structurally) this year. My question is, is he going to need a break at some point or can he play right through (hopefully) deep into september?
He gets a break this week ;)

Curly5
22-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Waters was off the ground and hit Grant late.......I immediately thought 50 metres and a week for Waters but not a bloody thing from the green wood ducks......
The out of bounds error was hilarious, the ball was a foot over the line and even our blokes stopped......and then played on for a resulting goal.

Quick thinking from Gia, excellent work.

Mofra
22-06-2010, 10:28 AM
I thought the MRP would at least look at it.

Topdog
22-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Rising star nom after this round?

LostDoggy
22-06-2010, 01:40 PM

Wood Ducks have excellent vision and generally see you long before you've seen them...

Happy Days
22-06-2010, 04:07 PM
I thought the MRP would at least look at it.

They did, ruled he had no case to answer.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-06-2010, 07:01 PM
No doubt Grant has been increasingly impressive since he got his sport earlier in this year.
Is there however a slight concern with his goalkicking. As much as he moves great, has excellent footy smarts as well as a great leap and strong hands, his goalkicking really needs work.
Is this something he can improve on markedly?

Scorlibo
22-06-2010, 07:13 PM
No doubt Grant has been increasingly impressive since he got his sport earlier in this year.
Is there however a slight concern with his goalkicking. As much as he moves great, has excellent footy smarts as well as a great leap and strong hands, his goalkicking really needs work.
Is this something he can improve on markedly?

With goalkicking, it's often said to be hard to markedly improve a player, however I feel that is mostly because so much of goalkicking is about what goes through the player's head when he kicks the ball, and I don't think that Grant has the yips, just that his technique is bad. As such, I think he will be able improve his goal kicking in the same way that Big Will did around 2008. As a junior he had an excellent kicking efficiency, probably because he played close to goals. Next year he should be really pushing to be the Fevola-like focal point deep inside fifty.

craigsahibee
27-06-2010, 11:41 AM
With goalkicking, it's often said to be hard to markedly improve a player, however I feel that is mostly because so much of goalkicking is about what goes through the player's head when he kicks the ball, and I don't think that Grant has the yips, just that his technique is bad. As such, I think he will be able improve his goal kicking in the same way that Big Will did around 2008. As a junior he had an excellent kicking efficiency, probably because he played close to goals. Next year he should be really pushing to be the Fevola-like focal point deep inside fifty.

That's an interesting point. Paul Williams was on SEN during the week saying the club and Jarrad would like to put more weight on his frame which will be pivotal in playing that type of role, but they are mindful of not affecting his pace with too much muscle gain. Maybe Jarrad has one of those body types like Murph and Michael Tuck that just struggles to gain muscle size. If that is the case would the club be best served to have him play that lead up role Murphy has played so well over the years and concentrate on developing someone like Liam Jones into a stay at home full forward?

hujsh
27-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Does some credit need to go to Brad Gotch for Jarrad Grant's development this year? I vaguely remember Gotch was playing Grant out of position which was questioned by some people here but Grant has certainly increased his fitness and is working much harder.

OLD SCRAGGer
27-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Jarrad was just on Sunday Footy Show Handball....WON

FlightoftheCallanWards
27-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Always seen that he has that natural talent but great to see he's finally showing it at AFL level. It's part of the reason I snapped up his match worn jumper last year for 70 bucks in the end of year auctions ;).

Has the looks of a real star and has fast became mine and a mates favourite player due to multiple factors such as ability, interesting running style, the skinny legs (Spindleshanks!!) and the resemblance to Merlin and Dr Spock.

Good old Jarrad 'Spindleshanks Merlin Spock' Grant :D

chef
27-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Jarrad was just on Sunday Footy Show Handball....WON

His hand skills(marking, one grabbing, picking the ball up and hand passing) would have to be one of his best attributes.

Ghost Dog
28-06-2010, 07:50 PM
I love the kid. Simple!
And he has a very bright future ahead of him!
Maybe transfer the meat on Karmichael Hunt's Quads to Grant and he's complete ;)

Hunt? I think his quads are weighing him down!

LostDoggy
02-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Is it just me, or is his set shot kicking a minor concern?

always right
02-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Work in progress although he has made clear improvement in this area. My biggest concern is his body holding up for the rest of the year. It's a long season when you have a light frame such as his.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-08-2010, 06:37 PM

I think it's a big concern, primarily because it's hard to turn an average set shot player into a good one. However, he's young and should improve in this area. I just hope if he gets these chances in finals, he nails them - we really can't afford simple misses as the last two PF's inaccuracy have killed us.

I hope the MC are encouraging Grant to take the game on. He's got pace to burn and he's a smart player, but too often he gains possession of the ball and looks for a handball. I'd love to see him 'take the game on' because he could be electric and a serious match winner. Obviously it's hard to ask given this is his first real year playing senior AFL football, but coming into finals - he could be a 'secret' weapon in this regard. His goal over his shoulder v the Kangas was great.

BulldogBelle
02-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Its Roughead who they also want to tell to take the game on. Make the game his own.
Roughhead has upside to give away.

chef
02-08-2010, 06:46 PM

It is a little wobbly, but that's not much different to the majority of key forwards in the league. The thing that worries me is the lack of penetration in his kicking and not being able to get goals from outside fifty.

always right
02-08-2010, 06:51 PM
It is a little wobbly, but that's not much different to the majority of key forwards in the league. The thing that worries me is the lack of penetration in his kicking and not being able to get goals from outside fifty.

Remind you of another bloke called Grant in his early days???

chef
02-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Remind you of another bloke called Grant in his early days???

Hopefully if he fills out as much as Chris did(and that's a big if) the kicking penetration won't be a worry.

gohardorgohome
02-08-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm surprised the club has not tried to get him to change his grip on the ball when he kicks. I'd think he would need to drop the ball from a higher point from the boot if he drops the ball the way he does.

Before I Die
02-08-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't expect it to happen, but i can't see why someone like Grant who lacks penetration doesn't practice the torpedo for shots from outside 50. Sure, it is harder to mark, but the idea is that it goes through the goals.