PDA

View Full Version : Adelaide Oval ---here come the dogs?

Throughandthrough
02-12-2009, 12:56 PM
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,26430075-5006301,00.html

BREAKING NEWS: AFL matches will be played at a revitalised Adelaide Oval within three years under a deal brokered by the State Government with the SACA and SANFL.

The government will provide $450 million towards the redevelopment with a formal contract involving all parties to be signed in July.

The new stadium will be administered by a new authority chaired by Ian McLachlan from SACA and with SANFL general manager Leigh Whicker as chief executive.

Premier Mike Rann, Treasurer Kevin Foley and sporting officials attended the announcement this morning in the Gil Langley Room at Adelaide Oval.

It is understood AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou was in Adelaide last night for talks with Mr Foley as part of the final negotiations on the ground-breaking deal.

After the announcement this morning, Mr Demetriou said the development would produce "an iconic venue in the heart of the city that retains the charm of Adelaide Oval".

"From the AFL's perspective, we are very very grateful to have had a small part in helping cricket and football come together as they should," he said.

"I can assure you there'll be thousands and thousands more Victorians who come over."

Mr Whicker said it was an exciting move for the state.

"I thank the Premier and the Deputy Premier and the Rann Government for firstly their on-going support to our great game," he said.

"Today is just another endorsement of the confidence of the Rann Government in both the major sports here in SA - football and cricket.

Mr McLachlan described the plan as "an excellent result".

"I think it will be just wonderful when it comes to fruition," he said.

"I don't seen impediments that will get in our way because the good will is quite spectacularly good.

"I think many South Australians hoped this would happen."

The Government's $200 million includes the $100 million already earmarked for AAMI Stadium, $100 million from the Commonwealth and $200 million through the deferral of extending the tram line to West Lakes for two years.

The Government had already said that $100 million earmarked for stadium development at AAMI Stadium could be recommitted to Adelaide Oval if the SANFL and SACA could reach agreement on staging AFL matches there.

The Government move is being seen in political circles as an attempt to derail the Opposition's $1 billion city west stadium plan announced by Opposition Leader Isobel Redmond last week.

The Government has bitterly attacked the plan since it was announced and in Parliament yesterday used Question Time to give both Mr Foley, Environment Minister Jay Weatherill, Transport Minister Patrick Conlon and Sport Minister Michael Wright the opportunity to oppose the Liberal "vision

LostDoggy
02-12-2009, 01:34 PM
If they want the Bulldogs to play then negioate a deal (1M for 2 games sounds like the price) with the Bulldogs not the AFL otherwise they can pee off.

Of all the locations we we've sold our games to this would be the worst

Go_Dogs
02-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Labor's attempt to get in with a Stadium before the Liberals.

I think it has some merit, however I would much prefer an additional stadium in the city soley for footy etc. All I know is my SACA membership is going to go up a lot!

Throughandthrough
02-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Labor's attempt to get in with a Stadium before the Liberals.

I think it has some merit, however I would much prefer an additional stadium in the city soley for footy etc. All I know is my SACA membership is going to go up a lot!

AFL Footy will be an optional extra, about another $350 pa on top of the cricket only one.

Are u going Friday?

Should catch up.

Go_Dogs
02-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Are u going Friday?

Should catch up.

Work XMas show at the Ale House in the city, so I'll probably be out of action for Friday.

The AFL thing might be extra, but surely the SACA will also raise the price of standard memberships to help cover the redevelopment costs. It was extra this year for the current development.

LostDoggy
02-12-2009, 03:51 PM
AFL Footy will be an optional extra, about another $350 pa on top of the cricket only one.

Are u going Friday?

Should catch up.

Hope it lasts till Monday when my wife and I get a guernsey for lunch in the committee room. Think I will probably be having a pie at work though.

Remi Moses
02-12-2009, 11:20 PM
No thanks to Adelaide. To many painful memories of abuse and objects hurled in our direction. Definite No No

The Adelaide Connection
02-12-2009, 11:59 PM
No thanks to Adelaide. To many painful memories of abuse and objects hurled in our direction. Definite No No

I think you will find that happens everywhere. Everyone has a story about the worst venue they have been to, the MCG has given me enough material to write a book and I have only been there a half dozen times.

The Adelaide Connection
03-12-2009, 12:02 AM
If they want the Bulldogs to play then negioate a deal (1M for 2 games sounds like the price) with the Bulldogs not the AFL otherwise they can pee off.

Of all the locations we we've sold our games to this would be the worst

Maybe not a great deal for the Dogs (much the same as I don't think Canberra is when we play Sydney) but I would happily attend ;)

Sockeye Salmon
03-12-2009, 01:49 AM
My understanding is that Footy Park will be used by the SANFL and the Crows and Power will play their home games at AO.

chef
03-12-2009, 07:57 AM
My understanding is that Footy Park will be used by the SANFL and the Crows and Power will play their home games at AO.

Does that mean they will have to have a drop in pitch?

Throughandthrough
03-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Does that mean they will have to have a drop in pitch?

I doubt it.

Apart from the last few years there has been regular SANFL games there allready.

Go_Dogs
03-12-2009, 09:31 AM
I doubt it.

Apart from the last few years there has been regular SANFL games there allready.

Yep, all SANFL finals were played there in 2008, only reason they didn't this year was because of the redevelopment of the members stand at AO.

Cyberdoggie
03-12-2009, 02:48 PM

This seems bizarre to me, won't this stadium just kill off football park?

I haven't been to football park but i believe they have been progressively adding to it,
the capacity has increased over recent years as has the corporate and scoreboards.
The general seating or aluminium benchs look a bit outdated but i can't see why they would basically abandon this stadium.

FP holds 55,000 odd people, so instead of redeveloping this ground they are going to spend a fortune on Adelaide oval to make it hold 50,000 odd.

Sure the design looks ok but apart from a patch of grass at one end it doesn't even resemble the old Adelaide oval that is often called one of the most beautiful cricket grounds in the world.

Can someone explain any of this? is it because west lakes is too far away? are they trying to build an mcg/docklands stadium in the heart of the city?

Lachy
03-12-2009, 05:50 PM
West Lakes, like VFL park before it, was built on cheap land around 15 kilometers from the city centre. Its carpark is shared with a major shopping centre and there is no train line extending to the ground. Like VFL park it was built as a result of a dispute between cricket and football authorities. In Melbourne the dispute was settled in the 80's, it has taken till now for the same dispute to be settled in SA.

An interesting point of note is the cheif protaganist in the dispute was one Donald Bradman!

LostDoggy
03-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Seems like a bizarre decision when the SA government should be pumping money into a venue capable of hosting a World Cup match given we are bidding for one.

Is it only for AFL?

chef
03-12-2009, 06:14 PM
I doubt it.

Does it get very muddy?

Throughandthrough
03-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Great Footy Surface at AO

And as per above, apart from being in the boon docks, the place is a concrete jungle.

With the very low level of slopes you end up sitting a LONG way from the Oval.

It's a dinosaur (like Subiaco)

Go_Dogs
04-12-2009, 09:31 AM
The more I've thought about it, I still feel the idea of a closed-roof, 80,000 capacity stadium on the western side of the city will be better than a redevelopment of AO.

LostDoggy
04-12-2009, 03:31 PM
The more I've thought about it, I still feel the idea of a closed-roof, 80,000 capacity stadium on the western side of the city will be better than a redevelopment of AO.

A stadium of 80k would be too costly I'd imagine. Probably well over 1 billion to build. Do you think it would ever sell out for an AFL game? 60k seats sounds better to me. It would be nice if they build something like Etihad. I Doubt It'd ever happen though.

Happy Days
04-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Seems like a bizarre decision when the SA government should be pumping money into a venue capable of hosting a World Cup match given we are bidding for one.

Is it only for AFL?

The re-development is designed to be FIFA-complient, so it can be used in the World Cup if our bid gets up.

LostDoggy
05-12-2009, 04:00 AM
The re-development is designed to be FIFA-complient, so it can be used in the World Cup if our bid gets up.

To be WC complient it means the hill must be full of seats. Is that the case?

Go_Dogs
05-12-2009, 09:09 AM
A stadium of 80k would be too costly I'd imagine. Probably well over 1 billion to build. Do you think it would ever sell out for an AFL game? 60k seats sounds better to me. It would be nice if they build something like Etihad. I Doubt It'd ever happen though.

Crows sell 60K at Wet Lakes. In the city they could draw 60-70K quite comfortably, I would guesstimate. Showdowns and bigger games could get even more.

The cost is going to be the major factor as you say, but Adelaide needs to do something. The rough plan that I have heard as far as a city-west style stadium, it would also involve the redevelopment of the area along the Torrens, with the aim to make it similar to the set up you guys have along the Yarra/South Bank etc.