View Full Version : Matthew Panos

Cyberdoggie
15-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Our third pick (number 48) Matthew Panos:

Height: 192cm
Weight: 85kg
DOB: 25/01/91
Recruited from: Rostrevor College/Norwood
Bio: Key forward with good hands and is strong on the lead. Kicked 14 goals at the NAB AFL U18 Championships for SA, taking 25 marks and earning All-Australian honours. Noted for his accuracy in front of goal. His agility was commendable at Draft Camp with an 8.37secs for the agility run, in the top 33 per cent.

Matthew was tipped to go quite early.
Surprising that he and Serhat Temel were still available at pick 48.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87105/default.aspx

LostDoggy
15-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Very surprising he lasted until pick 48.

stefoid
15-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Described as a one trick pony, which I suppose means lead, mark, kick goal. Depends how often he can perform his trick, which will depend on how well he can adapt to the demands of AFL. Fevola isnt exactly full of tricks either, but what he does do, he does well.

will have Hall to watch, so that is good.

mighty_west
15-12-2009, 01:40 PM
cWI_Vy4vxBo

Cyberdoggie
15-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Good mark, moves well and has good disposal.

I'm assuming he'll play a bit at Willy 2's

Swoop
15-12-2009, 02:05 PM
He has a bit of Ben Holland about the way he moves.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-12-2009, 02:13 PM
I wonder why he slipped so incredibly far? It couldn't be the fact that he's only really a lead, mark and kick type of player. There's plenty of those around at AFL level - many whom any club would love. Perhaps it's his attitude, work rate?

In any case, this is another great selection IMO. Under the guidance of our coaching, Hall and Grant he'll have plenty of help around him. He's agile and is already a very good kick and mark - that's a nice place to start.

Throughandthrough
15-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Well I hope he does MUCH better then other Norwood recruits such as Scott (Brother of) Bassett and Gavin Hughes.

vho
15-12-2009, 04:20 PM
If he is a one trick pony, i would be happy if he turned out to be similar to John Anthony.

BulldogBelle
15-12-2009, 04:30 PM
A one-trick player in the vein of Simon Beasley would also be very nice.

Greystache
15-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Call me boring but I'd happily watch that one trick performed 60-70 times a year for the dogs.

LostDoggy
15-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Well I hope he does MUCH better then other Norwood recruits such as Scott (Brother of) Bassett and Gavin Hughes.

Hey, Griffen16

Are you going to let him get away with that?

The Pie Man
15-12-2009, 05:47 PM
He looked impressive in the few you-tube clips I just watched.

Looks like he can play defence if needed as well.

LostDoggy
15-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Anyone think that he could be the doggies version of Steele Sidebottom?

BulldogBelle
15-12-2009, 06:23 PM
He will have a couple of years at least to make his mark. All good for us. Amazed he slipped so far after all the pre-draft hype.

Bulldog Revolution
15-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Looks like he can play defence if needed as well.

Its not uncommon for a junior full forward to become a senior full back

lemmon
15-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Anyone think that he could be the doggies version of Steele Sidebottom?

Please enlighten me, I dont see the comparison.

Throughandthrough
15-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Hey, Griffen16

So far so good :)

Go_Dogs
15-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Hey, Griffen16

I've been working all day, so I am only just quickly logging on now before I head home to see who we have. I saw this though, and thought a response may be needed. ;)

I'll give myself the drive home to think of a witty response.

Go_Dogs
15-12-2009, 07:38 PM
I'll give myself the drive home to think of a witty response.

But alas, I have nothing. Oh yeah, our mastermind came from Norwood too (geez, we haven't had much luck with Norwood guys have we :eek: )

Here are some Norwood stats for the senior games that Panos played in 2009. He kicked a few goals at Reserves level too, although not many (IIRC his best effort was 2 goals which he got a few times).

http://www.sanfl.com.au/files/_system/File/PDFs/stats/2009/Norwood%20v%20Eagles%20Round%2019.pdf

http://www.sanfl.com.au/files/_system/File/PDFs/stats/2009/Glenelg%20v%20Norwood%20Round%2018.pdf

All the best to Matthew, hope he can become a player for us!

Remi Moses
15-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Was John Riley from Norwood? [For older Dog fans]

The Coon Dog
15-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Was John Riley from Norwood? [For older Dog fans]

North Adelaide.

Throughandthrough
15-12-2009, 09:07 PM
But alas, I have nothing. Oh yeah, our mastermind came from Norwood too (geez, we haven't had much luck with Norwood guys have we :eek: )

I must say I wasn't overly surprised that Panos didn't get selected in the ND - those who were around last year and saw me talk up fellow Norwood boy Schoenmakers may have twigged to the fact that I didn't really mention Panos at all. Still though, now that he has been selected by the Dogs I will proceed to talk him up to everyone. :D

Here are some Norwood stats for the senior games that Panos played in 2009. He kicked a few goals at Reserves level too, although not many (IIRC his best effort was 2 goals which he got a few times). [And be warned, the League stats don't paint a pretty picture]

http://www.sanfl.com.au/files/_system/File/PDFs/stats/2009/Norwood%20v%20Eagles%20Round%2019.pdf

http://www.sanfl.com.au/files/_system/File/PDFs/stats/2009/Glenelg%20v%20Norwood%20Round%2018.pdf

All the best to Matthew, hope he can become a player for us!

Hooray, 1 to me.

NB I wouldn't stress over the published SANFL stats, notororiously incorrect on many levels.

And I hope this young man wins a whole bunch of Premierships while playing for the Dogs, and you can stir me about Norwood Players as much as u want :)

LostDoggy
15-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Looks the goods on utube. Good kicking action, safe hands and can put em away from outside 50. Can only benefit from Hall.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Question for the Adelaide watchers who have seen him play; what do you think of Panos?

Dry Rot
15-12-2009, 11:24 PM
I am still wondering why he dropped so far across the drafts for someone who looks like a promising KPP forward.

16 clubs judged that he was only a mid range rookie pick.

BulldogBelle
15-12-2009, 11:49 PM
I am still wondering why he dropped so far across the drafts for someone who looks like a promising KPP forward.

I've heard he has some attitude problems. I wouldn't trust my source to the death though.

We have done so well it's incredible in this Rookie draft.

Throughandthrough
15-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Question for the Adelaide watchers who have seen him play; what do you think of Panos?

Sorry, have never taken notice of him. I'm appalling at watching/judging how opposition players go unless they are the superstars of the competition.

Throughandthrough
16-12-2009, 12:00 AM
I've heard he has some attitude problems. I wouldn't trust my source to the death though.

We have done so well it's incredible in this Rookie draft.

I know some people that will know some people, watch this space.

BulldogBelle
16-12-2009, 12:27 AM
I know some people that will know some people, watch this space.

I've heard those some people have attitude problems. I wouldn't trust my source to the death though.:p

BRING IT ON
16-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Young Matthew wants to replace Mr B Hall

http://eastern-courier-messenger.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/panos-i-cant-wait-to-learn-from-barry-hall/

Good Luck with everything Matthew :)

bulldogsman
16-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Here's a pretty good profile of him.

Strengths

> Good-very good OH mark – good leap, clean, reliable hands, gets front position consistently and good reading of the flight in the air (including under contested pressure)

> Good general smarts as a forward

> Clean-very clean hands at ground level with decent mobility

> Good vision and decision maker

> Very good kick particularly excellent finishing ability for goal from both set shots (particularly) and in general play - capable of good depth – good field kick

> Good quick and efficient DM both by hand (including good vision) and by foot

Weaknesses

> Played as a key target at U18, but would be slightly undersized for such a role at AFL

> Seems to have slightly below average pace off the mark with OK pace over distance at best and doesn’t have great running capacity or work ethic

> Offers little defensively and efforts are generally weak

> Lacks physical intensity – I have not seen him physically impose himself on a contest, which he should be doing considering he is more solidly built than most and on occasions he has pulled out of marking contests

Just a couple points when I've seen him. I've seen him physically impose himself on some games it's just a matter of whether he wants to do it. I've seen him apply defensive pressure in stages but generally makes a poor effort. I think he has the tools to make it's just his lack of intensity and effort which is probably the main reasons he was overlooked so far down.

LostDoggy
16-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Sounds almost exactly like a clone of Jarrad Grant, except that one went halfway through the rookie draft and one went at no.5 in the main draft.

Mantis
16-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Sounds almost exactly like a clone of Jarrad Grant, except that one went halfway through the rookie draft and one went at no.5 in the main draft.

Not quite.

Grant is very quick off the mark which is an important trait to have as a key (leading) forward.

LostDoggy
16-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Not quite.

Grant is very quick off the mark which is an important trait to have as a key (leading) forward.

Ah, I did say 'almost'. :)

Is their pace the main difference? His lack of conditioning and defensive attitude sounds appallingly like J. Grant mk II (which may yet not turn out to be a bad thing, mind you..)

Mofra
16-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Is their pace the main difference? His lack of conditioning and defensive attitude sounds appallingly like J. Grant mk II (which may yet not turn out to be a bad thing, mind you..)
He's already bigger than Grant, but then again so is my neice.

Mantis
16-12-2009, 03:03 PM

I haven't seen Panos play and really don't like to make judgement on 2 minute highlight clips to answer that question, but from what I have heard (and I will use that to answer your question) his defensive efforts aren't the best and his acceleration off the mark is poor. He apparentely reads the play well and knows where to lead, but his lack of pace allows a quicker defender to close the gap.

I have watched enough of Grant to know that the kid is damn quick which is a really important trait for a player who likes like he will be a lead up type. His poor fitness levels prevent him from making more than one lead in each piece of play which makes him a non-factor most of the time, if his fitness improves he could (will) be a dangerous player. His defensive efforts ebb and flow a little, but he does try and chase when he can and I would think that his tackle count in the games I have seen is quite satisfactory.

stefoid
16-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I would have thought Grant was a fair tackler and he has good 2nd efforts etc, from what little I have seen.

But if his fitness is stuffed, then he isnt going to be able to perform offensively or defensively at senior level.

For what its worth, Panos sounds more like Tim Walsh to me - good skills but lacks intensity, and that is huge negative - would be why he slipped, but that is what the rookie draft is for, low percentage of success players. We really reached for Tim Walsh at 4, but being desperate for key position players at the time, we didnt have much choice.

Cyberdoggie
16-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I would have thought Grant was a fair tackler and he has good 2nd efforts etc, from what little I have seen.

But if his fitness is stuffed, then he isnt going to be able to perform offensively or defensively at senior level.

For what its worth, Panos sounds more like Tim Walsh to me - good skills but lacks intensity, and that is huge negative - would be why he slipped, but that is what the rookie draft is for, low percentage of success players. We really reached for Tim Walsh at 4, but being desperate for key position players at the time, we didnt have much choice.

Tim Walsh made Peter Street look like a gazelle.

The most un-coordinated key forward i've ever seen. Running a close second was Jesse Wells, followed by Patrick Wiggins.

Jarrad Grant at least has some skill and ability, however in 2 years of football there has been little change to his fitness, size, running action. I fear he will end up on the scrap heap like those before him.

Greystache
16-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Tim Walsh made Peter Street look like a gazelle.

The most un-coordinated key forward i've ever seen. Running a close second was Jesse Wells, followed by Patrick Wiggins.

Jarrad Grant at least has some skill and ability, however in 2 years of football there has been little change to his fitness, size, running action. I fear he will end up on the scrap heap like those before him.

Plus Panos looks to be a deadly kick, something that gives him a distinct advantage over Grant. His lack of pace off the mark may prevent him taking as many marks, but if he can get 6 kicks a game and kick 4-1 then he's more than usefull.

Tim Walsh also couldn't read or follow the play. He wasn't able to hold down CHF at old Trinity in the B-grade amateurs one year out of league football, they're now trying to develop him into a tall winger with some success.

LostDoggy
16-12-2009, 07:46 PM
He might not be any good as a lead up full forward, but if he can bulk up and stand his ground, would he be any good as a pack marker?

alwaysadog
16-12-2009, 07:56 PM

Yes, that's true DR, but they all also passed over Aaron Davey 5 times before the Dees gave him a go. While there's a lot of judging I often wonder if there is any judgment in the recruiting process beyond the group think.

alwaysadog
16-12-2009, 08:12 PM

You don't choose your parents and as a junior you seldom get to choose the club you play for. I know it's distasteful in the extreme to have to deal with such a noxious enemy, but just think, could there be any greater shock coming his way than when he leaves behind the cappuccino strip in Norwood high street and hits the Footscray Mall.

Some say it's cathartic, others say it's a reality check, whichever is the preferred description once he gets a blast from Rocket he'll know Norwood is just a very distant memory.

Sounds to me like a reality check might just be what he needs, he seems to have something to offer.

bulldogsman
17-12-2009, 09:36 AM
WHEN Norwood full-forward Matthew Panos didn’t see his name pop up on the computer screen two rounds into Tuesday’s NAB AFL Rookie Draft, he began to fill with an uneasy sense of déj* vu.

Panos, 18, had been touted as a potential first-round pick in last month’s national draft after receiving All-Australian honours at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships in June.

He’d been interviewed by no fewer than 11 clubs and was widely regarded as one of the best key-position prospects in the 2009 talent pool.

But just weeks out from d-day the renowned goalkicker inexplicably fell out of favour with recruiters and was overlooked by each of the 16 teams.

“I was quite upset when I didn’t get picked up in the national draft,” Panos told afl.com.au.

“I didn’t have too many expectations going in. I mean, you hear lots of things but they’re not necessarily true and it doesn’t mean that they’re going to happen.

“My hopes weren’t extremely high, but I was still disappointed not to get picked up.”

There were suggestions Panos was too one-dimensional and needed to improve his defensive game, but no one could give the strong-leading forward a definitive answer as to why he was passed up.

“The clubs didn’t really say much except that I was a bit unlucky not to go in the national draft,” he said.

“No one sat me down to say, ‘this could be a reason why you didn’t get picked up’, or, ‘if you do this better you’ll get a chance’. They didn’t really say much at all.”

Despite the disheartening experience, Panos refused to give up on his AFL dream.

He turned his attention to the rookie draft and accepted invitations to train with both Port Adelaide and Carlton.

Neither side gave Panos any promises and in the end it was the Western Bulldogs that offered him the opportunity he’d desperately been seeking.

“It was a huge relief when my name popped up given the wait I’ve had since the national draft, and then to have to wait until pick No. 48 today,” Panos said.

“Now, I’m just really excited to be on an AFL list and to be with the Bulldogs, who ... have had good success over the past few years.”

There’ll be one familiar face when Panos arrives at his new club later this week; his best mate’s father is Bulldogs’ football operations manager James Fantasia.

Panos, who compares himself to former Bomber great Matthew Lloyd, is determined to build on the defensive side of his game and prove he can cut it alongside proven forwards Brad Johnson and Barry Hall.

“The defensive side of my game is definitely the biggest area I need to work on because looking at forwards in the AFL now, tackling and chasing is a big part of their role,” Panos said.

“I’ve got to work hard and prove to the coaches and players that I can play AFL.

"If I work hard enough over the pre-season it can only enhance my chances of getting an AFL game, which is my dream and ultimate goal at the moment.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/88245/default.aspx

LostDoggy
18-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Our third pick (number 48) Matthew Panos:

Height: 192cm
Weight: 85kg
DOB: 25/01/91
Recruited from: Rostrevor College/Norwood
Bio: Key forward with good hands and is strong on the lead. Kicked 14 goals at the NAB AFL U18 Championships for SA, taking 25 marks and earning All-Australian honours. Noted for his accuracy in front of goal. His agility was commendable at Draft Camp with an 8.37secs for the agility run, in the top 33 per cent.

Matthew was tipped to go quite early.
Surprising that he and Serhat Temel were still available at pick 48.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87105/default.aspx

From what Matthew has stated....If he can deiver the same, i'd be happy

LostDoggy
21-12-2009, 11:49 AM
He might not be any good as a lead up full forward, but if he can bulk up and stand his ground, would he be any good as a pack marker?

I went to the training session on Saturday and he could do both. He's underdone with fitness but has some footy smarts and ability. I hope Chris Grant can do some work with him because he needs a good mentor.

Twodogs
21-12-2009, 08:58 PM
could there be any greater shock coming his way than when he leaves behind the cappuccino strip in Norwood high street and hits the Footscray Mall.

Heh. That will be a shock for him.

Dry Rot
21-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Interesting that on BF neutrals have us winning the rookie draft with Panos and Hooper.

comrade
21-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Interesting that on BF neutrals have us winning the rookie draft with Panos and Hooper.

Considering these kids were overlooked by 16 teams over 80 times, it's hard for anyone to win the rookie draft.

If we've won anything it's the "I've read about these kids on a BF mock-draft" award.

Dry Rot
21-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Considering these kids were overlooked by 16 teams over 80 times, it's hard for anyone to win the rookie draft.

If we've won anything it's the "I've read about these kids on a BF mock-draft" award.

Agreed but Hooper seems like a real footballer ignored because he isn't a tall athlete.

Agree I'm highly sceptical about Panos and wonder where he'll fit in if Jones and Grant live up to their potential. He has strengths and flaws/weaknesses that made him both drop down the pecking order and also be perhaps a perfect rookie.

GVGjr
21-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Agreed but Hooper seems like a real footballer ignored because he isn't a tall athlete.

Agree I'm highly sceptical about Panos and wonder where he'll fit in if Jones and Grant live up to their potential. He has strengths and flaws/weaknesses that made him both drop down the pecking order and also be perhaps a perfect rookie.

We need to keep looking at good prospects regardless who's sitting in the background with that dreaded potential tag around their neck. An injury or two and we would have our supporters highlighting the missed opportunity of acquiring at well performed forward.
If everyone of them clicked we could be major players at the trade table and addressing other areas.

As you say the expanded rookie list is ideal to grab a player like Panos and see how he responds.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-12-2009, 12:32 AM
You don't choose your parents and as a junior you seldom get to choose the club you play for. I know it's distasteful in the extreme to have to deal with such a noxious enemy, but just think, could there be any greater shock coming his way than when he leaves behind the cappuccino strip in Norwood high street and hits the Footscray Mall.

Some say it's cathartic, others say it's a reality check, whichever is the preferred description once he gets a blast from Rocket he'll know Norwood is just a very distant memory.

Sounds to me like a reality check might just be what he needs, he seems to have something to offer.

I would prefer to look at South Australia overall rather than just Norwood. He will then have plenty of current company like Cooney, Griffen, Lake, Eagleton, Minson,Tiller, Howard etc. which suggests SA has been our most productive State for recruiting.

gohardorgohome
22-12-2009, 08:30 AM
My father in law is a doggies man. His surname is Panos so he is very happy with this pick. I hope he can be as good as other rookies such as Morris Boyd Harbrow Cox and Kirk.

Twodogs
23-12-2009, 01:02 AM

I see what you mean but I think early in his career we would be better trying to get his legsped and aerobic fitness up and try his luck as a lead up forward. He has pretty strong hands in the marking contest so this would be best for him in the short term. When he's older and baged up with 8 or 9 preseasons of weights under his belt then he can retreat to the square and wrestle fullbacks.

LostDoggy
28-09-2011, 04:07 PM
VFL grand final: Matthew Panos's progress ... what now?

BY LANCE JENKINSON
28 Sep, 2011 12:00 AM

THE calls for Matthew Panos to be elevated to the Western Bulldogs' primary list are growing after his break-out Victorian Football League finals series.

The young spearhead booted four goals and was named Williamstown's best player in the grand final on Sunday.

He was one of the stand-out Seagull forwards in the finals with 11 goals in three games and finished the season with 29 goals at better than two per game.

Panos said a consistent run of games at the top level made him feel like he belonged.

"Playing the last eight to 10 games in the seniors gave me really good confidence coming into the finals knowing that I can play my role and help out the team," he said.

"The coach has had a lot of faith in me and so have the players, who were really supportive."

Panos was rookie-listed by the Bulldogs ahead of the 2010 season.

It was an initial shock that he missed out at the national draft after being so pivotal for South Australia at the under-18 national championships in 2009.

The move east saw him land at Williamstown, where he spent half of his rookie season in the seniors and the other half in the reserves.

He finished with a combined 61 goals - 41 in the reserves, 20 in the seniors - and was a member of the Seagulls' losing reserves grand final team.

The lack of opportunities in the seniors prompted Panos to ask what he could do over the summer to improve his chances of a regular berth.

"The first year I was doing too much weights, getting too heavy and I was a bit slow," he recalls. "So over the preseason they gave me a plan; they wanted me to lose a bit of weight and do more running to get my engine up. I went back to Adelaide, worked as hard as I could and lost as much weight as I could to get a bit fitter and an extra yard of speed, which helped."

The most striking characteristic of Panos's game is his kicking for goal.

In the pristine conditions at Etihad Stadium, the 20-year-old didn't look like missing from any set shot 50 metres or closer.

At one point early in the last quarter, his teammates were looking for him to bank a goal that would have been 50-50 in the hands of any other player.

"Playing at Etihad definitely helps with no wind," Panos says. "I've been working on it [goal kicking] as much as I can."

He's confident on the lead, has a strong pair of hands, and his fitness is rapidly improving.

Could the time be right for the Bulldogs, a key forward short after the retirement of Barry Hall, to elevate him to the senior list?

http://www.maribyrnongweekly.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/vfl-grand-final-matthew-panoss-progress-what-now/2306345.aspx

ledge
28-09-2011, 05:35 PM
I would sign him, he seems dedicated, a great kick which is rare and good hands, as long as delivery is good he will be good.

LostDoggy
29-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Good news, bring him in.

MrMahatma
29-09-2011, 07:32 AM
You can't elevate mulligan one yr, and not this kid the yr after-given the respective outputs.

gohardorgohome
29-09-2011, 08:22 AM
He has proven he can kick goals at VFL level. Well worth elevating.

SlimPickens
29-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Agree, on his finals form he needs to be elevated. Such a pure kick at goal. A mate of mine played on him in the prelim and said he was surprised at his strength and speed off the mark.

Mantis
29-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Are we able to re-rookie him for a 3rd year and perhaps leave a spot on the list open for one of our rookies to fill which can be determined at a later date? ie. after a few pre-season games.

We have been bit on the bum promoting Hooper & Mulligan and I don't see the point in doing it again on a player who might not be up to it.

Desipura
29-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Agree, on his finals form he needs to be elevated. Such a pure kick at goal. A mate of mine played on him in the prelim and said he was surprised at his strength and speed off the mark.
Are you mates with Kyle Hartigan?

The Doctor
29-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Are we are to re-rookie him for a 3rd year and perhaps leave a spot on the list open for one of our rookies to fill which can be determined at a later date? ie. after a few pre-season games.

We have been bit on the bum promoting Hooper & Mulligan and I don't see the point in doing it again on a player who might not be up to it.

At some point you have to make a decision.

Panos has earnt his call up to the main list by the strength of his performances and in particular the finals series. What more can he do? His progression has been far greater than that of Hooper's and Mulligan's when they were upgraded. In fact I would argue that as a key forward in the VFL he has performed at the least the equal of Grant, Roughead and Jones if not better in that position.

SlimPickens
29-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Are you mates with Kyle Hartigan?

Brant Dickson

Desipura
29-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Are we are to re-rookie him for a 3rd year and perhaps leave a spot on the list open for one of our rookies to fill which can be determined at a later date? ie. after a few pre-season games.

Fair call however I think he has earnt a promotion based on his attitude. He was told to go away and lose weight and improve his pace, he is quoted as saying that is what he did over preseason.
I think he should be rewarded for this. Hopefully he can further work on his weaknesses over preseason and play senior footy.
That said, I think we have hopes long term of Tom Hill being that full forward.

Hotdog60
29-09-2011, 11:29 AM
At some point you have to make a decision.

Panos has earnt his call up to the main list by the strength of his performances and in particular the finals series. What more can he do? His progression has been far greater than that of Hooper's and Mulligan's when they were upgraded. In fact I would argue that as a key forward in the VFL he has performed at the least the equal of Grant, Roughead and Jones if not better in that position.

He also spent a fair bit of time in defense. So one would have to look at his performance in games he played as a forward to his goal average. I think he got 17 goals from he's last 4 games. 3 of those games finals.

bornadog
29-09-2011, 12:15 PM

What are the rookie rules? I thought you can't rookie someone for more than two years?

LostDoggy
29-09-2011, 03:32 PM
I will be wrapped if he gets elevated to the senior list. Can't see any reason why he wouldn't.

Mantis
29-09-2011, 03:49 PM
What are the rookie rules? I thought you can't rookie someone for more than two years?

I thought the AFL had brought in a rule that you could keep them for another year after their 2 year listing had finished.

Not sure if that's still the case.

The Coon Dog
29-09-2011, 03:52 PM
I thought the AFL had brought in a rule that you could keep them for another year after their 2 year listing had finished.

At one time you could, but only if they came from interstate. Not sure if it still applies though.

LostDoggy
29-09-2011, 06:05 PM
he's from SA isn't he?

gohardorgohome
29-09-2011, 06:25 PM
If Panos is not elevated and is given a third year on the rookie list I think he have every right to throw the toys of of the cot and try is luck in the draft.....At worst he would get re drafted as a rookie...

GVGjr
29-09-2011, 06:39 PM

Unless it's changed, that was the rule.

Remi Moses
29-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Staggered if he isn't elevated! Come on Football club:confused:

The Coon Dog
29-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Unless it's changed, that was the rule.

It changed in 2009.

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=86302)

Greystache
29-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Are we able to re-rookie him for a 3rd year and perhaps leave a spot on the list open for one of our rookies to fill which can be determined at a later date? ie. after a few pre-season games.

To be honest, if I were Panos and that's what the club put to me, I'd say thanks but no thanks, I'll try my luck in the draft.

A 20 year old key forward, with a strong pedigree, who's coming off a very strong VFL finals series, would be a certainty to be rookie listed by another club, and most likely to be drafted onto a main list. I've said a few times on the state board that I think Panos has been pretty shabily treated so far, and if we won't show him enough faith to put him on the main list then his future is probably at another club.

GVGjr
29-09-2011, 09:27 PM
It changed in 2009.

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=86302)

Yes, the same year we decided to promote Mulligan and overlooked the 3rd year option.

bornadog
30-09-2011, 12:06 AM
To be honest, if I were Panos and that's what the club put to me, I'd say thanks but no thanks, I'll try my luck in the draft.

A 20 year old key forward, with a strong pedigree, who's coming off a very strong VFL finals series, would be a certainty to be rookie listed by another club, and most likely to be drafted onto a main list. I've said a few times on the state board that I think Panos has been pretty shabily treated so far, and if we won't show him enough faith to put him on the main list then his future is probably at another club.

In what way has he been treated shabbily?

Greystache
30-09-2011, 12:37 AM
In what way has he been treated shabbily?

I've mentioned this a number of times, he's been thrown around regardless of form when other players have been available. He'll play a good game in the forward line, but a Roughead or a Grant will go back to Williamstown and he'll get thrown back into defence. He'll play well in defence then the next week he's back in the forward line, he'll play well there but the next week h'll get dropped to the reserves because there's other players the Bulldogs want to play in front of him.

I've described him in the past as a low priority player to the club.

MrMahatma
30-09-2011, 01:50 AM

I'm all for him being elevated. I think he certainly deserves it. However, surely a senior listed player would get precendent over a rookie-listed player in terms of playing in "their" position? I'm not sure he should be surprised about that.

gohardorgohome
30-09-2011, 02:06 AM
He has kicked more goals per game for Willy than any other young dogs power that comes to mind. It would be crazy not to develop this guy.

Greystache
30-09-2011, 02:14 AM
I'm all for him being elevated. I think he certainly deserves it. However, surely a senior listed player would get precendent over a rookie-listed player in terms of playing in "their" position? I'm not sure he should be surprised about that.

I don't agree, I think every Bulldog player should be played according to form. Should Dahlhaus have been given fewer opportunities than Vezpremi purely because he was rookie listed at the beginning of the season?

GVGjr
30-09-2011, 07:03 AM
I've mentioned this a number of times, he's been thrown around regardless of form when other players have been available. He'll play a good game in the forward line, but a Roughead or a Grant will go back to Williamstown and he'll get thrown back into defence. He'll play well in defence then the next week he's back in the forward line, he'll play well there but the next week h'll get dropped to the reserves because there's other players the Bulldogs want to play in front of him.

I can't agree with the notion that he has been treated shabbily. He's a rookie listed player and was always going to be one of the players that gets shunted around (Veszpremi was another) and I think he became a better footballer by being moved from forward line and defensive duties.
In his two years at the club I've consistently read how the likes of Little was holding him last year and now things like being moved around and spending the occasional game in the reserves is bad for him. I don't buy it because I think it's made him a better footballer.
He's answered the challenge and now has a good chance of being elevated and it's exactly what we should have expected from him.

ledge
30-09-2011, 06:20 PM
I would think if we drop him off some other AFL club will pick him up, he has a lot going for him.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-09-2011, 09:50 PM
I would think if we drop him off some other AFL club will pick him up, he has a lot going for him.

Be assured that coach McCartney has Panos in his sights and has already identified his talents. There is little doubt IMO that you will see him in the red white and blue. Looks a standout to replace Barry Hall.

ledge
30-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Be assured that coach McCartney has Panos in his sights and has already identified his talents. There is little doubt IMO that you will see him in the red white and blue. Looks a standout to replace Barry Hall.

Good I see a real lot in him.

EasternWest
30-09-2011, 10:19 PM

Cool. We can stop the speculation then. Because NBP said so. :).

GVGjr
30-09-2011, 10:21 PM

My concern is still around his pace and fitness but he improved a 100% this year from last season and hopefully he has more scope for improvement because if he is to become a senior player he will need to keep improving. Impressive as he has been for Williamstown this season he still has a way to go to be an AFL standard footballer.

MrMahatma
01-10-2011, 01:44 AM
My concern is still around his pace and fitness but he improved a 100% this year from last season and hopefully he has more scope for improvement because if he is to become a senior player he will need to keep improving. Impressive as he has been for Williamstown this season he still has a way to go to be an AFL standard footballer.
Would you say he's better/worse than Grant at the moment?

GVGjr
01-10-2011, 06:18 AM
Would you say he's better/worse than Grant at the moment?

I'm not sure that comparing him to other players is either fair or relevant but right at this moment he certainly doesn't have Grant's potential upside. On athletic potential Grant is an AFL standard player whereas there are still a few question marks on Panos. He took his fitness to another level this year but must find another level again next year to give himself the best chance of making the adjustment.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-10-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm not sure that comparing him to other players is either fair or relevant but right at this moment he certainly doesn't have Grant's potential upside. On athletic potential Grant is an AFL standard player whereas there are still a few question marks on Panos. He took his fitness to another level this year but must find another level again next year to give himself the best chance of making the adjustment.

Grant was a major disappointment this year and his football went backwards after a promising 2010. Even though he hasn't played a senior game, in Williamstown's 3 finals appearances Panos looked very good. I would suggest that Grant's AFL future is at the crossroads. It will be a test of McCartney's coaching abilities to see if he can turn Grant's career around.

GVGjr
01-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Grant was a major disappointment this year and his football went backwards after a promising 2010. Even though he hasn't played a senior game, in Williamstown's 3 finals appearances Panos looked very good. I would suggest that Grant's AFL future is at the crossroads. It will be a test of McCartney's coaching abilities to see if he can turn Grant's career around.

I'm judging Panos on all the games I've seen this year not just the last few but on potential and athletic ability he is a step behind Grant.

I think McCartney will like pushing Grant to take another step in 2012

Cyberdoggie
02-10-2011, 01:18 PM
I think McCartney will like pushing Grant to take another step in 2012

Will be interesting to see if and how he responds to a different coach.

McCartney isn't a softie from all indications so far, so i doubt he'll get it easy.

GVGjr
02-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Will be interesting to see if and how he responds to a different coach.

McCartney isn't a softie from all indications so far, so i doubt he'll get it easy.

From my understanding is that he likes to get the player to commit to working on certain aspects in their game and then measures them against that progress. I'm sure that is the way a lot of coaches take but apparently McCartney is fairly persuasive at it. Grant might have to lift his intensity or he will test the coaches patience. It's been often stated that the difference between Grant and McEvoy was that Grant wanted to be the main man whereas McEvoy didn't hold such lofty goals. Grant now has the chance to show if his words had any substance behind them.

Greystache
02-10-2011, 02:11 PM
From my understanding is that he likes to get the player to commit to working on certain aspects in their game and then measures them against that progress. I'm sure that is the way a lot of coaches take but apparently McCartney is fairly persuasive at it. Grant might have to lift his intensity or he will test the coaches patience. It's been often stated that the difference between Grant and McEvoy was that Grant wanted to be the main man whereas McEvoy didn't hold such lofty goals. Grant now has the chance to show if his words had any substance behind them.

Wasn't that Lachlan Henderson?

immortalmike
02-10-2011, 03:42 PM

Yep I remember it being Henderson also.

GVGjr
02-10-2011, 04:47 PM

You might be right. Either way without Hall or a more experienced forward Grant has the chance to put some actions to the words.

stefoid
02-10-2011, 10:19 PM
I want to see Grant given a shot as ff, with Panos possibly playing a long target from the pocket

westdog54
03-10-2011, 12:52 AM
I want to see Grant given a shot as ff, with Panos possibly playing a long target from the pocket

Where would you have Liam Jones?

ledge
03-10-2011, 01:46 AM

CHF maybe.

Cyberdoggie
06-10-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm sure all 3 of them could work together.

As long as they aren't a liability defensively.

If all 3 of them could function effectively at keeping the ball inside 50 or applying pressure along with Dahlhaus etc, then we could have a potent weapon. On the other hand if they don't and we add Gia and Higgins there then we will be as effective as fly screens on a submarine.

stefoid
07-10-2011, 01:00 PM

Agree with Ledge, CHF - with 'the press' basically being a given, we are going to see a lot more long kicks out of defence to break it up. If you can win that first long kick out of defence, the rest of the ground opens up for you and leading forwards like Grant or Panos will have a much better chance of competing one on one.

for that reason Id like to see Jones playing further up the ground, and I think at the bare minimum I want to have a ruckman playing who is a decent contested mark. I dont care if he is slow, clueless in a ruck contest and cant kick - if he is a big man who can take a big grab, he is going to be more than useful. for this reason I favour roughhead over minson, but at the moment Roughhead needs more physical development and fitness.

LostDoggy
07-10-2011, 02:02 PM
If Barry,Jones and Grant can be in the same forward line then I don't see any issue with adding Panos instead of Barry. Should only gain mobility with Panos there.

The only other issue and it was an issue before is to never play Higgins and Gia in the same forward line ever.

LostDoggy
13-10-2011, 12:09 AM
If Barry,Jones and Grant can be in the same forward line then I don't see any issue with adding Panos instead of Barry. Should only gain mobility with Panos there.

The only other issue and it was an issue before is to never play Higgins and Gia in the same forward line ever.

Can we just stick with the highlighted? Trade, trade, trade......

KT31
13-10-2011, 12:14 AM

Thank God for the comma, I don't think the Sale of the Century Champ and Ex- President of the Labour party would get to many kicks.:D

Ghost Dog
16-10-2011, 12:43 AM
Thank God for the comma, I don't think the Sale of the Century Champ and Ex- President of the Labour party would get to many kicks.:D

Ah, a comma can make all the difference

Fevola drinks, spews, and smokes

Fevola drinks spews and smokes

for example:D

AndrewP6
16-10-2011, 01:45 AM
Ah, a comma can make all the difference

Fevola drinks, spews, and smokes

Fevola drinks spews and smokes

for example:D

"I had to help my uncle jack off a horse"

OR

"I had to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse"

:D

westdog54
16-10-2011, 02:08 AM

Wasn't it Pick a Box?

KT31
16-10-2011, 02:11 AM
Wasn't it Pick a Box?

Originally, later he was on SOTC.

westdog54
16-10-2011, 02:41 AM
Originally, later he was on SOTC.

Didn't know that