PDA

View Full Version : X-Factor: Stephen Tiller

Bulldog Revolution
28-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Listening to Alastair Lynch commentate on the Ch7 replay that one of our problems was our lack of a power forward, i.e someone to bomb it to 30 metres out - and whilst this isn't the most profound observation I think we have grown accustomed to playing differently but at some stage we will need a tall forward. I started to think again about how valuable it would be to have an option we could bomb it to every know and again to mix it up when going forward - I always think about it when we play Adelaide who just flood back so much.

And I've been thinking about the future for Stephen Tiller also, and meaning to post something on him.

There would hardly be a lower profile player on our list than 20 year old Stephen Tiller. He's know in his third year, has had a lot of injury problems and has struggled for continuity with his footy due to injury and has not really even established himself at a VFL senior level yet BUT I wonder if long term he isn't part of the answer up forward.

I have seen glimpses of Tiller at training and in intra club games that make me think he is a prospect worth persisting with. He seems to have a reasonable burst of speed off the mark, a good leap, and reasonable hands. Plus I felt he looked to have the type of frame that could impose itself on senior AFL footy.

VFL stats for Stephen Tiller:

6 reserves games for 6 goals, 7 behinds
1 senior game

5 senior games for 1 goal
1 reserves game for 1 goal

2005 VFL reserves
11 games for 18 goals

I wonder if he could be our Tim Boyle (son of 6 game Bulldog Stephen Boyle) - Hawks forward drafted in 2002 who has taken a while and only this year really begun to shine and repay the faith shown by the hawks.

Anyhow I dont know that Tiller is a stay at home forward but I wondered if he could perform in a pushing up the ground Barry Hall like role?

What do other more regular Track and/or W'bee watchers think?

bornadog
28-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Don't know much about him, but I thought he has been playing in the backline this year and they were developing him for that sort of role. Maybe a forward role could be the go.

Dry Rot
28-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Listening to Alastair Lynch commentate on the Ch7 replay that one of our problems was our lack of a power forward, i.e someone to bomb it to 30 metres out

A problem? What's wrong with bombing it to Johnno, surrounded by 3 taller Swans?

Gee it's great to watch random bombing into a forward line where the tallest player is Hahn.

Bulldog Revolution
28-05-2007, 05:21 PM
A problem? What's wrong with bombing it to Johnno, surrounded by 3 taller Swans?

Gee it's great to watch random bombing into a forward line where the tallest player is Hahn.

Thats sydneys strength, they cut out all the quick end to end stuff, cut off your handball receives, running or flow on play and then you bomb it in and they seem to have plenty of guys waiting for you

They are very good at it

And Johnno is not the man for bombing it into - he obviously does well one out, but the

southerncross
28-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Tiller is a real prospect but his development has been hampered by two things.
1) The ongoing injuries that he seem to plague him
2) The Werribee set-up that seems to have him playing in the 2nds all too frequently.

He has the talent but he must get himself on the park regularly and in the Bees 1st team if we are to properly gauge his worth. I think he will be maintained on the list for another season providing his work ethic on the training track is good enough.

Bulldog Revolution
29-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Tiller is a real prospect but his development has been hampered by two things.
1) The ongoing injuries that he seem to plague him
2) The Werribee set-up that seems to have him playing in the 2nds all too frequently.

He has the talent but he must get himself on the park regularly and in the Bees 1st team if we are to properly gauge his worth. I think he will be maintained on the list for another season providing his work ethic on the training track is good enough.

It looked like last year he had at least turned the corner and was regularly being considered for the VFL seniors in 2006. But I think he got injured as the year went on and really didn't play much football at all.

Maybe his injuries this season have again held him back this year

I was hopeful that he could establish himself as a forward spoil to Pods in 2007 and kick 25-30 goals.

On the W'Bee set up (I dont want to criticise Podsiadly because I understand he's a very good player) BUT cant they play some Bulldogs as the 2nd, 3rd tall options up forward??

I might be wrong about this BUT It seems like they have recruited/preferred other players to be that secondary forward option. At times last year it was Harley Ryan (if memory serves me correctly) and then we have had Jordan Barham this year.

LostDoggy
29-05-2007, 12:02 PM

Jonathan Brown struggled 2 weeks back with 2 old men from the Essendon.
If we don't get the ball, get it forward quick and force the opposition out of their comfort zone then we could have 3 power forwards but we still wouldn't do any good. They were in front and flooding back so we had no chance.

Sockeye Salmon
29-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Listening to Alastair Lynch commentate on the Ch7 replay that one of our problems was our lack of a power forward, i.e someone to bomb it to 30 metres out - and whilst this isn't the most profound observation I think we have grown accustomed to playing differently but at some stage we will need a tall forward. I started to think again about how valuable it would be to have an option we could bomb it to every know and again to mix it up when going forward - I always think about it when we play Adelaide who just flood back so much.

And I've been thinking about the future for Stephen Tiller also, and meaning to post something on him.

There would hardly be a lower profile player on our list than 20 year old Stephen Tiller. He's know in his third year, has had a lot of injury problems and has struggled for continuity with his footy due to injury and has not really even established himself at a VFL senior level yet BUT I wonder if long term he isn't part of the answer up forward.

I have seen glimpses of Tiller at training and in intra club games that make me think he is a prospect worth persisting with. He seems to have a reasonable burst of speed off the mark, a good leap, and reasonable hands. Plus I felt he looked to have the type of frame that could impose itself on senior AFL footy.

VFL stats for Stephen Tiller:

6 reserves games for 6 goals, 7 behinds
1 senior game

5 senior games for 1 goal
1 reserves game for 1 goal

2005 VFL reserves
11 games for 18 goals

I wonder if he could be our Tim Boyle (son of 6 game Bulldog Stephen Boyle) - Hawks forward drafted in 2002 who has taken a while and only this year really begun to shine and repay the faith shown by the hawks.

Anyhow I dont know that Tiller is a stay at home forward but I wondered if he could perform in a pushing up the ground Barry Hall like role?

What do other more regular Track and/or W'bee watchers think?
2 words BR.

Clutching. At. Straws.

Dry Rot
29-05-2007, 05:23 PM
2 words BR.

Clutching. At. Straws.

That's three.

Good to finally meet - how was the trip home? My trip back to Nth Canberra after the game was depressing enough.

Bulldog Revolution
29-05-2007, 08:39 PM
2 words BR.

Clutching. At. Straws.

I was genuinely laughing when I read your response - and there is definitely an element of truth in that Sockeye.

And I wasn't suggesting he was going to help immediately but I guess like most guys who are AFL listed players he has shown flashes that he could be a player. I thought I might speculate what type of player he would turn into - and I chose to focus on the best case scenario. You have to remember we are the club that has had Morgan, Bandy, Wiggins, PBowden, NSaunders, Bartlett all either feature up forward over the past decade - yes they've been lean years. I would just like (optimistically) to think there was a potential key forward on the list.

If anybody has watched a Danny Delre highlights tape recently you'd be convinced he would kick 80 odd with us - such was his talent level compared to the guys named above.

Dry Rot
29-05-2007, 08:42 PM
You have to remember we are the club that has had Morgan, Bandy, Wiggins, PBowden, NSaunders, Bartlett all either feature up forward over the past decade - yes they've been lean years.

Is that the worst lot for any club in that period?

Bulldog Revolution
29-05-2007, 08:52 PM

It would have to be close, particularly given its been a bit of a boom time for full forwards given Plugger, Dunstall, Lloyd, Richo, Neitz and others

Plus we re-drafted Aaron James, Allen Jackovich and there will be others I've forgotten about

Dry Rot
29-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Yes, most sides have found someone at least serviceable to good like McGregor, Mooney, Thompson etc

Bulldog Revolution
29-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Yes, most sides have found someone at least serviceable to good like McGregor, Mooney, Thompson etc

Yes - its been a huge weakness

I've even thought on occasions that Ian Perrie would have been handy in our forward line, and the reality is whilst he's not the best kick for goal he probably would have been useful

Go_Dogs
30-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Sad but true. Personally, I don't know too much about Tiller so I can't really comment too much on it, haven't seen him play in Dogs colours, and didn't see him play back in the SANFL (don't think he did play SANFL mind you, just juniors). I agree with the general sentiment that we do need a young forward to start to play the role, develop and learn. Every other side has been persisting with talls over the last few years, and suddenly players like Ryder, Franklin etc are all proving to be very good selections.

Bulldog Revolution
30-05-2007, 01:58 PM
I forgot to include Jade Rawlings in my list

Sockeye Salmon
30-05-2007, 04:52 PM

It's probably the worst lot of any club in any period.

Sockeye Salmon
30-05-2007, 04:54 PM
That's three.

Good to finally meet - how was the trip home? My trip back to Nth Canberra after the game was depressing enough.

7 1/2 hours of silence interspersed periodically by 2 minutes of Ernie talking ****.

We even tried to pretend that we won and talked about how good everyone was but that didn't really work either.

Dry Rot
30-05-2007, 04:58 PM
7 1/2 hours of silence interspersed periodically by 2 minutes of Ernie talking ****.

We even tried to pretend that we won and talked about how good everyone was but that didn't really work either.

At least I shared some misery on the short trip back to Nth Canberra with 2 equally depressed Saints fans, and then off to a dinner with non-footy people so I could temporarily forget the rubbish I just watched.

Didn't Ernie travel home on the roof rack?

Dry Rot
30-05-2007, 05:00 PM
It's probably the worst lot of any club in any period.

What's your explanation for this?

One club, 3 or 4 coaches, two (or more?) recuiting guys, some trades, some drafted, all tall duds over this period.

Mofra
30-05-2007, 10:42 PM
In a couple of years with Williams at FB, Everitt at CHB, Cam Wight playing 2nd ruck / 3rd tall / tall wingman, we will finally be able to let Harris perform a "Gehrig" and switch from FB to FF.

He has his:
a. Pace
b. Judgement
c. Mean streak
d. Lack of attractiveness

That is assuming that no other talls kick on of course :)

Bulldog Revolution
31-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Not sure Harris is as good a kick as Gehrig, thought maybe thats just a confidence issue

I like the idea that Twodogs suggested awhile back of playing Hargraves as our Adam Hunter type player - I think Shaggy is so damaging up forward in cameos

GVGjr
01-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Does anyone else think that Tiller would be in danger of being delisted at the end of the season?

Go_Dogs
01-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Certainly would be in danger. One of him or Walsh will have to go, both have had long histories of injuries and haven't impacted much during their time at the club. Come seasons end, if one of them isn't playing good football, they could both go. I think the fact we picked up Baird has certainly worked against Tiller, as will the pick up of O'Shea too IMO.

LostDoggy
01-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Certainly would be in danger. One of him or Walsh will have to go, both have had long histories of injuries and haven't impacted much during their time at the club. Come seasons end, if one of them isn't playing good football, they could both go. I think the fact we picked up Baird has certainly worked against Tiller, as will the pick up of O'Shea too IMO.
If Baird doesn't improve soon he'll be in just as much danger.

Go_Dogs
01-06-2007, 01:50 PM
The fact that Baird has played AFL and done OK, as well as playing B's most weeks instead of C's would put him ahead I'd say, although he would want a good finish to the season.

Bulldog Revolution
01-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Does anyone else think that Tiller would be in danger of being delisted at the end of the season?

Theres no doubt he wil be under pressure. Its always hard to know how players are thought of in the inner sanctum. He seemed a very likely looking type in the brief snippets I've seen of him. And you rightly suggested his future may very well come down to his work ethic and determination to make it.

It seems to me that whilst injured Tommy Williams did everything asked of him and was wholly committed to making it. Apparently Tim Walsh worked super hard in rehab also.
Are they accurate observations GVGjr?

Dry Rot
01-06-2007, 11:57 PM
At near the halfway point of the season, is it fair to say that our delistings may look like this:

Definite: Monty, Grant (retired)

Highly likely: Baird, Tiller, Walsh, DMac

Possibles: Faulkner, Pask, Hughes, M West

You may think this is a lot, but they may want to turnover their rookie list and Harbrow will be promoted

Is the 2007 draft looking strong?

Go_Dogs
02-06-2007, 09:46 AM
I think Dmac is a bit ahead of where people are envisioning him. I thought he'd played well in the pre-season games, and looked a chance to play a reasonable role in the seniors this year, but sadly he injured himself.

At the moment I'd say:

Grant, Monty, Walsh, Tiller would be looked at.

Faulkner probably still carriers some sort of trade value, although it would only be for another player who hasn't quite made it. I think Pask will stay on the rookie list at least, unless another club wants him on their senior list, and he could still be a shot for our given that he's done more than most other talls we have in reserves. Hughes was unlucky with injury over the pre-season and probably hasn't got himself to a level that he's satisfied with just yet. He may be worth persisting with for another year, but depends on what else is on offer I guess. M. West would probably want to secure a spot in the B's this season to get himself off the chopping block too. The fact that he was downgraded to a rookie probably showed that he was the least ready, and it doesn't seem to have changed too much, although talls take time, ones who languish in the C's for a couple of years will certainly be looked at.