PDA

View Full Version : Jake Edwards

EasternWest
15-12-2009, 06:19 PM
What became of this? Weren't we going to draft him?

lemmon
15-12-2009, 06:22 PM
The coaching staff must've felt the the drafting of Markovic and upgading of Mulligan was enough cover for our key position backs. Any chance to go to GC? A mature, big body could be what they are looking for.

Mantis
15-12-2009, 06:23 PM
His manager asked the coach if his client could do a pre-season with us, we obliged.

There were no promises made and I guess the drafting of Markovic made it tough for Edwards to get a gig.

BulldogBelle
15-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Fair call. Everyone seems very happy with Markovic. So, all good.

stefoid
17-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Of all the decisions we have made over the OS, promoting Mulligan seems the strangest. Lets say Marcovic and Williams are not available - is Mulligan any chance of playing a senior game? Or even in the willi firsts for that matter?

The Coon Dog
17-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Of all the decisions we have made over the OS, promoting Mulligan seems the strangest. Lets say Marcovic and Williams are not available - is Mulligan any chance of playing a senior game? Or even in the willi firsts for that matter?

Might not seem so strange if the franchise from GC17 come calling. Our loss (if it eventuates) might be less painful than it could otherwise be.

always right
17-12-2009, 02:00 PM
In addition to Coondog's statement (which makes perfect sense and is likely to be the main reason for his upgrade), my understanding was the club believed Mulligan represented a better prospect than then those ate the back end of this year's draft. Speculative but he certainly has the athletic attributes.

hujsh
17-12-2009, 04:56 PM
I can't see how having a sacrificial lamb in Mulligan would trick GC from trying to poach Cooney or Griff first TBH.

chef
17-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Might not seem so strange if the franchise from GC17 come calling. Our loss (if it eventuates) might be less painful than it could otherwise be.

How many years did Mulligan get? If he got two, we can only trade him to GC17 and it won't affect their ability to steal Cooney, Griffen or Harbrow.

Didn't he preform well(playing as a KPD) in a practice game up in Sydney this year?

The Bulldogs Bite
17-12-2009, 06:40 PM
I can't see how having a sacrificial lamb in Mulligan would trick GC from trying to poach Cooney or Griff first TBH.

Isn't it compulsory for each club to give GC17 a player? They'll still come after Cooney, Griffen etc. but passing up Mulligan means we might save somebody else.

At least that's how I've been reading into it.

GVGjr
17-12-2009, 06:50 PM

Based on his performance over the last 2 years he should have never been promoted. He couldn't even crack it for a game in the seniors for Williamstown. Obviously there is other considerations.

Axe Man
17-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Isn't it compulsory for each club to give GC17 a player? They'll still come after Cooney, Griffen etc. but passing up Mulligan means we might save somebody else.

No. I believe GC CAN sign 1 uncontracted player from each club, but Clayton came out recently and said they would probably only sign around half of the 16 allowed.

hujsh
17-12-2009, 07:24 PM

It's not compulsory. GC can sign an uncontracted player from each club but doesn't have to. If Cooney and Giff were out of contract I certainly wouldn't approach them with any less force because Mulligan was available

Before I Die
17-12-2009, 07:51 PM

My understanding is that they can sign one uncontracted player per club without needing to negotiate with that club. The club's compenation in terms of draft picks is then determined by the AFL. They cannot force a player to join them, but they can offer very big money. Once they have taken one player from a club in this manner, they are back to negotiating a trade with the club for any other players they may be interested in. Of course if no trade is reached a player could always go into the draft and try to get to GC17 that way if they wished. Which, with all GC's picks wouln't be too hard to organise. I don't really see how us promoting Mulligan has any effect on what happens at trade time next year.

I suspect Mulligan has been promoted on potential and the liklihood he may have been snapped up by GC as a rookie if we had taken the gamble on re-rookieing (spelling?) him.

BulldogBelle
17-12-2009, 08:49 PM
In terms of the player that we have to give to the GC17, is the choice of the player ours or GCs?

16 players- 1 from each existing club
Choice of players from their VFL team
Choice of players from their TAC Cup team
The ability to sign one uncontracted player from each club
Priority draft picks from QLD and NT
Priority draft picks in the national draft (the first 10 picks?)

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

hujsh
17-12-2009, 10:15 PM
In terms of the player that we have to give to the GC17, is the choice of the player ours or GCs?

The ability to sign one uncontracted player from each club
Priority draft picks from QLD and NT
Priority draft picks in the national draft (the first 10 picks?)

Pretty sure that doesn't exist. The uncontracted players part does and there's no rule saying we have to lose any player.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-12-2009, 10:25 PM
It's not compulsory. GC can sign an uncontracted player from each club but doesn't have to. If Cooney and Giff were out of contract I certainly wouldn't approach them with any less force because Mulligan was available

My understanding is that they can sign one uncontracted player per club without needing to negotiate with that club. The club's compenation in terms of draft picks is then determined by the AFL. They cannot force a player to join them, but they can offer very big money. Once they have taken one player from a club in this manner, they are back to negotiating a trade with the club for any other players they may be interested in. Of course if no trade is reached a player could always go into the draft and try to get to GC17 that way if they wished. Which, with all GC's picks wouln't be too hard to organise. I don't really see how us promoting Mulligan has any effect on what happens at trade time next year.

I suspect Mulligan has been promoted on potential and the liklihood he may have been snapped up by GC as a rookie if we had taken the gamble on re-rookieing (spelling?) him.

Thanks for clearing it up. I haven't read a whole lot into the GC side of things.

It does make the promotion of Mulligan a little more perplexing than it already was.

boydogs
18-12-2009, 12:15 AM

Pretty sure you are thinking of the ability to sign uncontracted players here as others have mentioned

I thought they were moving from the TAC cup in 09 to the VFL in 10, as opposed to being in both

Priority draft picks in the national draft (the first 10 picks?)!

They will get the first pick in each round of the draft, and in addition will have picks 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 & 15

No argument there ;)

LostDoggy
07-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Just thought about this young bloke who trained with the side pre season last year from Carlton.

Does anyone know what happened to him post draft period?

ledge
07-10-2010, 05:56 PM
I know his other brother and father left Melton and went to Darley, but havent spoken to his dad in ages so not sure where he is now.

The Pie Man
07-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Mostly irrelevant (as it's not about his footy) but he was at a Whitelion fundraiser I attended earlier this year - seems a solid citizen...actually to be involved with Whiltelion, he's likely a top bloke.

Spoke and presented very well.

LostDoggy
07-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Mostly irrelevant (as it's not about his footy) but he was at a Whitelion fundraiser I attended earlier this year - seems a solid citizen...actually to be involved with Whiltelion, he's likely a top bloke.

Spoke and presented very well.

Went to primary school with him, he is a pretty good bloke, was always footy focused. Went to the same High School for a year or two, then I think he would of gone off and gotten a Jets scholarship.

The Coon Dog
18-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Article in today's paper saying he's playing for Port Melbourne next season.

Twodogs
27-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Article in today's paper saying he's playing for Port Melbourne next season.

He's a good get for us.

Car'n the Borough!!!