PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Rose Rookied by Bulldogs

comrade
18-12-2009, 07:23 PM
http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10459-0-0&sID=54954&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=10814558&sectionID=54954

The Williamstown Football Club was thrilled when the Western Bulldogs selected Patrick Rose as pick 68 in Tuesday's Rookie Draft. Rose who was recruited to Williamstown in 2005 from the Western Jets has played 73 Senior games and kicked 163 goals. Rose was selected in the 2009 VFL Team of the Year and represented Victoria against South Australia in 2008. The 23 year old Rose has established himself as an elite player at VFL level and now has the opportunity to play AFL football with the Western Bulldogs.

Williamstown and the Western Bulldogs have been aligned for 2 seasons (2008 -2009) and this is the second player from the Seagulls to be rookied by the Bulldogs after 2008 Gerry Callahan Medallist Liam Picken was selected as a rookie last year and then proceeded to play 23 of a possible 25 AFL games during 2009. Picken has now been upgraded to the Bulldogs Senior List for the 2010 season.

A joint initiative by Williamstown and the Bulldogs which sees Williamstown pay $20,000 towards the payment of a mature rookie selected by the Bulldogs commenced in 2008 with the selection of Liam Picken and this was continued on Tuesday when the 24 year old ex-Geelong player Brodie Moles was selected by the Bulldogs. Moles was selected in the 2009 VFL Team of the Year and Williamstown and the Bulldogs have given him a life line to reignite his AFL career.

In light of the change of AFL rules which allowed all AFL clubs to select 2 mature rookies as a consequence of the upcoming compromised drafts due to the formation of the Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney, Williamstown agreed to pay a further $20,000 if the Bulldogs selected one of a nominated three players put forward to the Bulldogs Recruiting staff. This commitment by Williamstown saw the Western Bulldogs select Patrick Rose with their final rookie selection.

Williamstown Football Club General Manager Brendan Curry stated, “It is a great result for our Football Club and a strong indication of the great relationship we share with the Western Bulldogs that we can play a significant role in the recruiting of Brodie Moles and Patrick Rose. We should also be mindful of the contribution of loyal Western Bulldog members and supporters which saw $52,000 raised last Monday night at a fundraiser which the Club uses to fund the payment of rookies. It is a great result that the Western Bulldogs have a full list of 46 players as they aim to break the premiership drought in 2010.”

“From a competition point of view it is great to see 8 players selected on Tuesday from our competition especially established stars like James Podsiadly and Marcus Marigliani. This is on top of the 2 players selected in the National Draft and it is a clear indication to everybody that more and more players are going to get a second chance at their AFL dream” stated Curry.

So, Williamstown put up $40K in total to assist in securing Moles and Rose - very generous, although it has its obvious benefits for the Seagulls of course.

Bulldog4life
18-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Do any other VFL Clubs do this? A wonderful effort.

Twodogs
18-12-2009, 09:46 PM
So, Williamstown put up $40K in total to assist in securing Moles and Rose - very generous, although it has its obvious benefits for the Seagulls of course.

It's a win for us and a win for them.

Geelong lose a player from their VFL team but I dont think they are all that fussed-if they are **** 'em.

comrade
18-12-2009, 10:10 PM
It's a win for us and a win for them.

Geelong lose a player from their VFL team but I dont think they are all that fussed-if they are **** 'em.

Speaking of VFL, I believe that GOK has been invited to play for the Geelong team next year - he'd be a very silly boy not to give it an almighty crack.

Swoop
18-12-2009, 10:34 PM
If I am reading the article correctly, Williamstown put forward 3 names of players currently on their list they would support, I have an idea of the first two as both Rose and Rampe were training with the bulldogs during pre-season. Anyone care to speculate on the third?

Sockeye Salmon
18-12-2009, 11:22 PM
If I am reading the article correctly, Williamstown put forward 3 names of players currently on their list they would support, I have an idea of the first two as both Rose and Rampe were training with the bulldogs during pre-season. Anyone care to speculate on the third?

Willi gave us a list of a dozen or so players from other clubs, Moles was on the list. I think we had open slather for any Willi player we might have been interested in.

Twodogs
18-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Willi gave us a list of a dozen or so players from other clubs, Moles was on the list. I think we had open slather for any Willi player we might have been interested in.

According to the article Willy ante'd up the money for two rookies. One from any VFL club and one from the list of three Willy players they provided.

mighty_west
19-12-2009, 10:51 AM

It's a smart move by Willy, and just shows that they are definatly not just interested in developing the Bulldogs players, they want as many quality players as possible, so supplying us with the extra cash also gives the Dogs greater depth.

Win/win.

alwaysadog
30-12-2009, 10:44 PM
According to the article Willy ante'd up the money for two rookies. One from any VFL club and one from the list of three Willy players they provided.

This creates a win-win situation, Willie prove they are a pipeline to the AFL and in so doing reward good servants of the club, which makes them doubly attractive to potential recruits, from our perspective we get access to a player who is physically and psychologically ready for the demands of elite football and going on last season ready to surprise.

GVGjr
30-12-2009, 10:56 PM
This creates a win-win situation, Willie prove they are a pipeline to the AFL and in so doing reward good servants of the club, which makes them doubly attractive to potential recruits, from our perspective we get access to a player who is physically and psychologically ready for the demands of elite football and going on last season ready to surprise.

I agree in principle with this but Rose has been at the Seagulls for a while before he got picked up as a rookie and I'm not sure potential players would want to take the chance of playing a lot of reserves football.
Would a guy like Dane Rampe be better looking at Port where he could get more senior games or staying at Williamstown hoping to crack into the senior side and then potentially be rookie listed? There is positive and negatives with both options despite Williamstown doing the right thing by their players.

Twodogs
31-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Would a guy like Dane Rampe be better looking at Port where he could get more senior games or staying at Williamstown hoping to crack into the senior side and then potentially be rookie listed?

Port definately!:D

mighty_west
31-12-2009, 05:37 PM
I agree in principle with this but Rose has been at the Seagulls for a while before he got picked up as a rookie and I'm not sure potential players would want to take the chance of playing a lot of reserves football.
Would a guy like Dane Rampe be better looking at Port where he could get more senior games or staying at Williamstown hoping to crack into the senior side and then potentially be rookie listed? There is positive and negatives with both options despite Williamstown doing the right thing by their players.

It probably doesn't matter so much these days, and especially the next few compimised drafts as well with teams seriously looking at VFL players, if he is seen as good enough whether playing in the seniors or ressies, he'll most likely get selected.

The fact that he was invited to train with us, would suggest that the right people will keep a keen eye on him wherever he plays.

LostDoggy
02-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Would I be correct in thinking this is where the WOOF Fund went as well? Of course it is , just stumbled on my own previous post, Doh!

Before I Die
16-01-2010, 05:39 PM
This article is over 3 weeks old, but it seemed appropriate to drop a link in the thread.

Gone to the Dogs ... Patrick Rose

PATRICK Rose wasn’t getting his hopes up about finally being granted passage on to an AFL list.

While he had gradually established himself as one of the most damaging players in the VFL over the last four seasons with Williamstown, Rose had been left a little dejected by draft time in each of those years.

The 182cm pocket dynamo had enjoyed a few pre-season stints at Collingwood (2006) and the Western Bulldogs (2007 and 2008), but was ultimately overlooked time and time again when it came to snatching a long-term gig........

Link Here (http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10459-0-0&sID=54954&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=11037417&sectionID=54954)

Bulldog4life
17-01-2010, 10:45 AM
This article is over 3 weeks old, but it seemed appropriate to drop a link in the thread.

Gone to the Dogs ... Patrick Rose

PATRICK Rose wasn’t getting his hopes up about finally being granted passage on to an AFL list.

While he had gradually established himself as one of the most damaging players in the VFL over the last four seasons with Williamstown, Rose had been left a little dejected by draft time in each of those years.

The 182cm pocket dynamo had enjoyed a few pre-season stints at Collingwood (2006) and the Western Bulldogs (2007 and 2008), but was ultimately overlooked time and time again when it came to snatching a long-term gig........

Link Here (http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10459-0-0&sID=54954&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=11037417&sectionID=54954)

That surely must be a misprint!

Before I Die
17-01-2010, 11:16 AM
That surely must be a misprint!

I was briefly standing next to Rose at the East meets West day and I thinking the same thing. If he is 182cm then Libba was 180cm.

hujsh
17-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Is he shorter than Johnno?

Before I Die
17-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Is he shorter than Johnno?

I would have thought so, but I guess height can be deceptive, especially when he is standing near Prato and Panos. I was just looking at a photo of all our rookies on that other site and he is clearly taller then Hooper and about the same height as Moles (who is listed at 183cm) so I suspect the correct answer is no.

There is a similar photo on WOOF now thanks to AndrewP6

Link (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=133460#post133460)