PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs vs Blues

GVGjr
29-05-2007, 01:29 PM
How does everyone see this playing out?

Who gets the job on Fev? From memory Harris has struggled with him in the past.
Whtinall has also played well against us in the past plus they have Waite that can be thrown forward. Who would match-up on these guys?

Can we monster their young midfield?

Bulldog Revolution
29-05-2007, 03:36 PM
How does everyone see this playing out?

Who gets the job on Fev? From memory Harris has struggled with him in the past.
Whtinall has also played well against us in the past plus they have Waite that can be thrown forward. Who would match-up on these guys?

Can we monster their young midfield?

This is clearly a danger game:

Our combined problems of not bringing the required intensity/work ethic and centre clearances/stoppage work make this a game Carlton will be fancying their chances in.

Carlton are not in bad touch, I thought they looked pretty good in patches against St Kilda a few weeks a go, and were obviously close to both North and Adelaide who've been in solid form.

I wonder if Dale Morris is a suitable matchup for Fevola? I think its either him or Hargraves.

I am hoping the same fiercely determined Bulldog outfit that emerged from halftime against Collingwood will show up at the opening bounce on Sunday

Dry Rot
29-05-2007, 05:25 PM
IIRC they nearly did us last season - have they improved this year (haven't seen them play)

How are they different to last season?

Bulldog Revolution
29-05-2007, 09:21 PM
They've been better out of the centre square and their skills have improved Ackland has been a good addition, Murphy continues to impress as does Scotland, and Carazzo is one of the most improved players in the competition. Gibbs has been solid for a first year player. Fevola has obviously kicked goals and it seems to me that guys like Lappin, Waite, Thornton, Houlihan, Betts have played well in patches.

Go_Dogs
30-05-2007, 10:40 AM
They have small bodied midfielders, and not having Stevens is a huge advantage for us. We should crush them out the centre square. I'd let Boyd play a tag on Murphy - this kid is classy around the stoppages, and when he has time can deliver well. He really struggles kicking goals too, so we need someone to keep him under pressure.

Gibbs has looked a bit more comfortable playing in the backline, so don't be surprised to perhaps see him back there on someone like Akermanis, Higgins or perhaps Cooney.

Scotland and Carazzo are their two best midfielders to date this season, however both are beatable. Our combinations should be too deep for them.

Fevola should be taken by Harris. If Waite plays forward expect Hargrave or perhaps Wight to go to him. Could be a good day to let Darcy sit in the goal square and hopefully Whitnall goes to him.

Going to be an interesting game for sure. We should win easily, but stranger things have happened.

bornadog
30-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Definatetly a danger game, particulaly if we have three players coming back from injury, Darcy a bit sus, Hahn still not hitting his straps, two teenagers playing, plus 4 others with less than 50 games, Cross with a niggling injury concern.

They are the negatives, the postives are we are winning the hard balls at clearances (last three games), we have shown this year we can beat good sides, Harris in great form, West hard to stop, Johnno a great captain and shows by example, Aker starting to look dangerous. We just have to bring it all together.

dog town
30-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Dont usually like to simplify things this much but basically if you can shut out Fevola then you are half way there. Morris took him last year and I think we will again need his closing speed to go with Fevola on the lead. Fev is a strong bugger but he does most of his damage on the lead and I fear he would burn Harris for pace off the mark. Depending on the other match ups it would be nice to have Harris freed up a little bit to get back and help out when the ball comes in high. Eade may back Harris in on Fev but personally I dont think he is suited . If he does play on him then we will need to put immense pressure on the blues midfield to get the ball coming in nice and high.

Dry Rot
30-05-2007, 09:03 PM
DT, could Morris on Fev possibly allow Harris to go forward if required?

dog town
30-05-2007, 10:27 PM
DT, could Morris on Fev possibly allow Harris to go forward if required?
They have alot of talls up forward so he might be needed for this game. Not sure why we dont at least try it every now and then though when match ups allow it.

GVGjr
01-06-2007, 09:34 AM
You would have to think that Harris as our best defender would line up on Fev. Fev is just too dangerous. Shaggy and Morris are logical options.

Go_Dogs
01-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Harris will start on Fev for sure, he's been in excellent form and no doubt will do a good job. The idea that DT suggested of letting Harris play the third tall up, loose role in the backline with Morris on Fev also has some merit, but Carlton have been playing a reasonably tall forward line, and it's probably a luxury that we won't be afforded this game.

dog town
01-06-2007, 05:44 PM
The last time I saw Harris play on Fevola he got absolutely thrashed. Moris did well on Fev last year so I dont see Rocket changing it up. If he does I think Harris will do better than last time but I just worry about Fev hurting him on the lead where he is very explosive. Similarly if Morris gets the job I worry about him in the air.

Dry Rot
01-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Which FBs have succeeded recently against Fevola?

southerncross
02-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Which FBs have succeeded recently against Fevola?

I think it all depends on what mood Fev is on the day. An average FB could probably do OK on him when he is not switched on but at his best he is a very hard match-up. It's going to be a great test for Harris.

dog town
02-06-2007, 08:34 AM
I think it all depends on what mood Fev is on the day. An average FB could probably do OK on him when he is not switched on but at his best he is a very hard match-up. It's going to be a great test for Harris. I suppose thats the thing about looking at past match ups. Fev is such an enigma that you dont know where he had his head at on that particular day. We also need to be careful of some of the other guys who can push forward sometimes. Waite is a briliant athlete but not sure if he will play forward. Fisher is just about the strongest contested marker on their list and Whitnall will float aroun. If its dry then they are every chance to play 4 talls up forward at some stage.

My guess would be that Walker will take Johnson for them.

southerncross
02-06-2007, 09:45 AM
My guess would be that Walker will take Johnson for them.

Walker is very good at shutting down a player and he has the pace to go with Johnno. Could be a very critical match-up.

Go_Dogs
02-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Johnson will crush Walker overhead. Let's hope they do go that way, and we can play Johnson out of the goal square.

How has Walkers season been thus far? I've seen him a few times, and he's seemed OK, but nothing too exciting.