PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical

bulldogtragic
21-12-2009, 10:57 PM
You can start any old thread about the best player in the comp, or who you would love to get if money wasn't an issue. So to change it up a little,

Let's say we had an extra $190,000 in the salary cap for next year, 2010.

Forgetting the trade finer details, who would you have liked us to go after. We can't get a superstar, and we've got enough ($190k) not to get a dud. As I say, take the trade finer details away, who would you have loved to see come to the kennel if we had that little extra in the kitty. Who would it be for you?

Mofra
21-12-2009, 11:08 PM
He's probably not on much more than base wage, so I'll nominate Robin Nahas.

He's young, he's dedicated, he tackles, and he is the missing link in our side - a small forward who crumbs & has a little bit of X factor. We don't know if anyone wil claim that spot in the forwardline yet so I think he'd slot right in, perhaps at the expense of Josh Hill who is out of condition by the training reports.

If only we had two Harbrows.

Mantis
21-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Not sure how much he is on, but I would love Josh Kennedy (the WC version) in my side.

He really impresses me with the way he presents up the ground and his body work closer to home.

Would be a perfect fit in our team too... but hopefully the Jones boy can play this role in a few years time.

The Coon Dog
21-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Wouldn't mind someone like Josh Drummond from Brisbane.

Sedat
21-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Lads, I reckon we'd struggle to get half a Josh Drummond or Josh Kennedy for 190k. If Rhan Hooper can snag 330k, I can't see these guys being on anything less than 300 large right now (and rising). Would I love both of them at the club with what they bring to the table? Absolutely.

Twodogs
21-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Good idea for a thread.

Funnmily enough if you'd asked me the same question this time last year I'd have said someone like Barry Hall. This year all the rage seems to be small crumbing frowards-I'd love someone like Liam Jarrah in our forward line.

GVGjr
21-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Mitch Brown or Shannon Hurn for mine. Good size, tough and thumping kicks.
By the way is there any chance that Kurt Tippet is on $189,999 ;)

The Underdog
21-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Not sure how much he is on, but I would love Josh Kennedy (the WC version) in my side.

He really impresses me with the way he presents up the ground and his body work closer to home.

Would be a perfect fit in our team too... but hopefully the Jones boy can play this role in a few years time.

I can't hear his name or watch him play without thinking how badly i wanted the club to wangle their way into the Judd trade and swap our pick 5 for Kennedy. He's had some injuries but he works his butt off and would have looked great in our forward line this year.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-12-2009, 12:45 AM

Agree with the Josh Kennedy theory. Given our recruiting history you would always want to go for a key forward or key backman rather than a Nahas or a Josh Drummond type even though they are handy players.
How Carlton would love to have Josh Kennedy now without Fevola in its line-up?

Sockeye Salmon
22-12-2009, 12:45 AM
I can't hear his name or watch him play without thinking how badly i wanted the club to wangle their way into the Judd trade and swap our pick 5 for Kennedy. He's had some injuries but he works his butt off and would have looked great in our forward line this year.

My thoughts at the time exactly

Swoop
22-12-2009, 01:17 AM
In the spirit of trying to find a hidden gem that could really blossom at the dogs, I believe a few of the following have potential at our club. I have tried to think of players on the fringes of their own sides 22 ala Tim Callan of two years ago.

Bachar Houli - he is a young quick ball carrier with good skills and a terrific attitude who hasn't cemented a spot for various reasons but he offers attributes that could suit us both through the midfield as well as off half back.

Nathan Djekkurra - a talented small forward who offers something we lack on our list. He comes from one of the strongest teams in the land and is behind a long list of players vying for his position such as Chapman, Varcoe, Stokes, Byrnes & even Ablett.

Will Thursfield - He found himself out of the side at different times this year behind Moore, Mcguane and Rance who looks a good prospect in the back half. He is a negating defender that provides us another option if Williams body doesn't stay on the field. He is a proven performer on good players as shown by finishing 4th in spoils for the AFL in 2008.

Jarred Moore - A tough pocket rocket who offers a skills set that we lack on our list. He can kick goals as well as provide defensive efforts in the F50. I imagine he is the type of player we would hope Andrew Hooper could become.

I tried to stick to the hypothetical to the best of ability without knowing who earns what while trying to be realistic at the same time.

lemmon
22-12-2009, 01:32 AM
Jacob Surjan for me, a tough, hard nut who runs the footy from half back and uses it well.

boydogs
22-12-2009, 03:09 AM
$190k is really not much, I am suprised Mantis, TCD & GVG in particular have gone for established guns, I think we are talking fringe players and below at that level

I will go for Jeff Garlett from Carlton, second string crumber who would get a lot of opportunities under Hall and our other developing tall forwards in the years ahead

Bulldog Revolution
22-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Shannon Hurn for mine.

Who did we take the year he was drafted. If I remember correctly you were keen

Mantis
22-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Lads, I reckon we'd struggle to get half a Josh Drummond or Josh Kennedy for 190k. If Rhan Hooper can snag 330k, I can't see these guys being on anything less than 300 large right now (and rising). Would I love both of them at the club with what they bring to the table? Absolutely.

You wouldn't get any player who would play more than 10 games at your club for 190k so in that respect this discussion is pointless.

The way that I took the OP was that we had an extra 190k on top of normal salaries so that is why I went for an established player. I also choose a player who would make an immediate impact next year as I doubt very much a 190k player recruited from another club would.

Go_Dogs
22-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Who did we take the year he was drafted. If I remember correctly you were keen

We got Higgins, so we can't be mad. Hurn would've been a fantastic addition to our side though.

For mine, I'd grab Taylor Walker in a heartbeat.

chef
22-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Eddie Betts for me, he would fit in perfectly in a forward pocket.

Mofra
22-12-2009, 10:13 AM
$190k is really not much, I am suprised Mantis, TCD & GVG in particular have gone for established guns, I think we are talking fringe players and below at that level
You'd be surprised. Some very established players are on contracts below $190k (I have approved loans for some of them in a past life).

Sedat
22-12-2009, 11:04 AM
You wouldn't get any player who would play more than 10 games at your club for 190k so in that respect this discussion is pointless.

The way that I took the OP was that we had an extra 190k on top of normal salaries so that is why I went for an established player. I also choose a player who would make an immediate impact next year as I doubt very much a 190k player recruited from another club would.
If we did have an extra 190k in the salary cap and tried to accommodate one of Drummond or Kennedy, it would mean we'd have to let one of our veterans and favourite sons go to fit them in - you got anyone in mind :D

Of course the irony in Kennedy is that he would have cost not a lot more than 190k at the time had we made a play for him 2 years ago.

stefoid
22-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Nathan Krakouer?

LostDoggy
22-12-2009, 08:22 PM
I would invest the money on a procedure to make Tom Williams indestructable.

LostDoggy
22-12-2009, 08:42 PM
matthew stokes

hujsh
23-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Maybe Andy Otten. I don't think he'd be on more the $190,000 but if he signed a contract he may want more.

Twodogs
23-12-2009, 01:07 AM

You'd be surprised. Some very established players are on contracts below $190k (I have approved loans for some of them in a past life).

Brian Lake's contract wouldnt have been much more than that over the last couple of years when he's won a B&F and been selected AA.

LostDoggy
23-12-2009, 01:44 PM
If Rhan Hooper can snag 330k.

Which probably speaks more of Hooper being grossly overpaid by the Hawks (which happens when nobody wants to trade with you and you have to pay over-the-odds for middling 'zero-attitude' talent as stop-gaps for the gaping holes in your list) than being truly reflective of the market.

Sedat
23-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Which probably speaks more of Hooper being grossly overpaid by the Hawks (which happens when nobody wants to trade with you and you have to pay over-the-odds for middling 'zero-attitude' talent as stop-gaps for the gaping holes in your list) than being truly reflective of the market.
That was his wage at Brisbane in 2009 - I doubt Hawthorn would be paying any more than base salary to Hooper in 2010. Stupid money whichever way you look at it.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-12-2009, 05:26 PM
On the logic of the OP then Jurrah would probably be my choice. There's a number of young players (Otten, Dangerfield, Yarran etc.) I'd rather but Jurrah would probably be more realistic in terms of this price range.

He's a bit like Hill in the air but can crumb the ball better.

Mantis
23-12-2009, 06:43 PM
On the logic of the OP then Jurrah would probably be my choice. There's a number of young players (Otten, Dangerfield, Yarran etc.) I'd rather but Jurrah would probably be more realistic in terms of this price range.

Hill has shown some freakish abilities to crumb or gather a ground ball, he just has to do it on a more regular basis.

mighty_west
23-12-2009, 06:57 PM

I reckon both Otten & Dangermouse would be both in that price range, and i'd take either in a heartbeat.

GVGjr
23-12-2009, 08:46 PM
One player I would have been very happy to draft is Jackson Trengove who's been on Ports list for 12 months. As a junior for the Cannons he had the ability to play in all key positions. He has a few problems with injuries but he would be a low priced player I'd been keen to get if we could.

Twodogs
23-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Hill has shown some freakish abilities to crumb or gather a ground ball, he just has to do it on a more regular basis.

Jurrah has better goal sense than Hill-and you know I'm a big Hill fan.

GVGjr
23-12-2009, 09:46 PM

My gut feel on Jurrah is that he might struggle next season.

Mantis
23-12-2009, 10:56 PM
One player I would have been very happy to draft is Jackson Trengove who's been on Ports list for 12 months. As a junior for the Cannons he had the ability to play in all key positions. He has a few problems with injuries but he would be a low priced player I'd been keen to get if we could.

Our recruiters were very keen on him as well and were hoping that he would slide to one of our 2nd rd picks last year.

Mantis
23-12-2009, 10:58 PM

Yep, but they will end up playing very different roles. I still think that if they both played deep forward their output in terms of goals would be pretty similiar.

stefoid
24-12-2009, 10:23 AM

Hes worth more than $190K to melbourne on marketing alone.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-12-2009, 05:08 PM

Yep, but they will end up playing very different roles. I still think that if they both played deep forward their output in terms of goals would be pretty similiar.

Agree with both posts. Jurrah is probably a little cleaner by foot and can kick them from anywhere. Hill's better at the marking/set shot although as Mantis pointed out - he's shown he's got the ability to pick up a ground ball in one motion. He struggles to kick on/from angles though which is what he needs to work on.

Hill is better suited to a wing though where he can use his tank, leap and creativity to advantage. He did very well to kick 30 odd goals this season but I see more value in him creating the play. A little like Murph, but higher up the ground. Jurrah should stick relatively close to goal.