PDA

View Full Version : Andrew lovett suspended indefinately

OLD SCRAGGer
24-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Just heard on SEN that Police are investigating a claim that Andrew Lovett assulted a woman in Port Melbourne around 3am? this morning. StKilda have suspended him indefinately!!!!! Betcha Essendon are pleased they off-loaded him now?

hujsh
24-12-2009, 02:20 PM
This is SEN though. Was it official news or just reports?

OLD SCRAGGer
24-12-2009, 02:24 PM
From what I can gather, it's OFFICIAL

LostDoggy
24-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Official.

Geez...had enough chances or what?

http://www.theage.com.au/national/st-kildas-lovett-suspended-over-police-investigation-20091224-le5c.html

jazzadogs
24-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Truly is an idiot.

I don't expect the St Kilda leadership group to let him off for this, given that they weren't happy with the decision to recruit him in the first place.

GVGjr
24-12-2009, 03:19 PM
There is a conference soon enough that will fill in the blanks. Lets be a bit careful with any comments until we get the full picture.

This is not shaping up well for the Saints though. They gave up a bit to get him plus missed out on something decent for Ball.

ledge
24-12-2009, 03:49 PM
He belongs at Carlton by the looks of this.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Definitely giving Fev some competition.

An idiot in its richest form.

AndrewP6
24-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Great pickup by the Saints...:rolleyes: :eek:

The Pie Man
24-12-2009, 09:18 PM
These unsavoury incidents (whatever this one entails) are obviously unwelcome, though I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel bad news for St Kilda was an early XMAS present

I do get tired of sport getting dragged down by a small minority

The Coon Dog
24-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Is it wrong to think this way, but when the proverbial hits the fan I just think to myself, thank goodness it wasn't a Bulldog's player.

Sedat
24-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Definitely giving Fev some competition.

An idiot in its richest form.
To be fair to Fev, I don't recall him ever locking his missus in the boot of his car or have restraining orders put against him. Fev has proven to be a dill of the highest order when he is over-refreshed but he is by and large relatively harmless. Lovett appears to be something altogether more sinister.

G-Mo77
24-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Is it wrong to think this way, but when the proverbial hits the fan I just think to myself, thank goodness it wasn't a Bulldog's player.

No it's not. I'm so happy our boys seem to stay out of trouble well at least out of trouble in public.

ledge
24-12-2009, 11:47 PM
To be fair to Fev, I don't recall him ever locking his missus in the boot of his car or have restraining orders put against him. Fev has proven to be a dill of the highest order when he is over-refreshed but he is by and large relatively harmless. Lovett appears to be something altogether more sinister.

Now theres an idea :D

The Bulldogs Bite
25-12-2009, 05:51 PM

Yep, but he's been involved in a few scuffles over his time including a couple of altercations with women.

Agree Lovett would seem worse physically though.

Mofra
26-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Yep, but he's been involved in a few scuffles over his time including a couple of altercations with women.

Agree Lovett would seem worse physically though.
Even that might be a little kind to Fev given some of the alleged antics at the Brownlow (not widely reported). He does seem like a self-obsessed dickhead, but Lovett is without doubt a fair bit more sinister.

The Coon Dog
26-12-2009, 12:19 PM
From today's Herald Sun

Anthony Dowsley and Padraic Murphy - From: Herald Sun - December 26, 2009 12:00AM

A WOMAN who claims she was sexually assaulted by AFL star Andrew Lovett told police she had been asleep.

It is believed the woman is the former girlfriend of a player at another club.

Lovett has been indefinitely suspended by his new club, St Kilda, while police investigate.

Though police have not charged Lovett, it is believed the woman claimed she was asleep when an attack began in the early hours of Thursday.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/woman-claims-she-was-sexually-assaulted-by-andrew-lovett-as-she-slept/story-e6frf7jo-1225813674913)

Twodogs
29-12-2009, 09:49 AM

No. It should be a huge source of pride for every supporter that our guys dont stoop to these sorts of levels and obviously have a lot of pride in and respect for our footy cub.

Mofra
30-12-2009, 05:14 PM
No. It should be a huge source of pride for every supporter that our guys dont stoop to these sorts of levels and obviously have a lot of pride in and respect for our footy cub.
... or haven't been caught

Remi Moses
30-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Well,Well,Well I went off to Sydney Xmas Eve and only briefly heard this story. Thank F****** christ we didn't pick up this classy individual a couple of years back. Just wondering how in blazes is Lovett going to play " Saints Footy'' while in his cell at Barwon:eek:

Swoop
13-01-2010, 07:46 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ross-lyon-dont-stuff-up-boys/story-e6frf9io-1225818585736

"The general feeling is while he is the player they need, he is not the person they need in an era where club culture is paramount."

I found this last statement fascinating, surely this is something they could have established prior to drafting a player they have just exchanged their first round pick for. Yes while the rape allegations happened after he was drafted, he has a well known reputation that meant senior players at St Kilda questioned his recruitment, very strange indeed.

Remi Moses
13-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Then you'd have to ask why they picked the guy up in the first place? Will not play a game for them. Anyway they've still got Brett Peake [perennial leader in shin kicks to disadvantage]:eek:

Remi Moses
13-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I anyone gets a chance just read up on some absoluted gems on ''Saintsational''. A couple of conspiracy theorists saying that as it was Jack Anthony the alleged victim first called as he is trying to ''de-rail'' one of Collingwood's premiership rivals:rolleyes:

Ozza
13-01-2010, 03:20 PM
I anyone gets a chance just read up on some absoluted gems on ''Saintsational''. A couple of conspiracy theorists saying that as it was Jack Anthony the alleged victim first called as he is trying to ''de-rail'' one of Collingwood's premiership rivals:rolleyes:

The "de-railing a premiership rival" is a bit much, but Jack Anthony calling the cops is probably more than rumour or conspiracy. I am to believe the 'alleged victim' is Jack Anthony's ex-girlfriend, she had been seeing Jason Gram recently, and it happened in Gram's home in Port Melbourne.

The Coon Dog
19-01-2010, 08:03 AM
A couple more articles...

Andrew Lovett ban query (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/andrew-lovett-ban-query/story-e6frf9jf-1225820991493)

Big calls may haunt Saints (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/big-calls-may-haunt-saints/story-e6frf9jf-1225820991611)

LostDoggy
21-01-2010, 09:46 PM

I agree Coon Dog. Hopefully we never have to have Rubbish like this or the Carlton debacle surface at the Whitten Oval. Our guys, I beieve, understand that our club (being one of the oldest VFA/VFL clubs) is a Strong Family and community club and we won't tolerate that type of Rubbish

Mantis
15-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Charged with rape.

See here (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/st-kilda-recruit-andrew-lovett-charged-with-rape/story-e6frf9jf-1225830569433)

KT31
07-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Charged with rape.

See here (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/st-kilda-recruit-andrew-lovett-charged-with-rape/story-e6frf9jf-1225830569433)

Now a second rape charge.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...nd-rape-charge

chef
07-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Now a second rape charge.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...nd-rape-charge

The link doesn't work KT.

KT31
07-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Sorry, try again.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/1049625/lovett-faces-second-rape-charge

jazzadogs
08-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Sorry, try again.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/1049625/lovett-faces-second-rape-charge
Does this mean he filmed it? How do we interpret 'digital'?

anfo27
08-05-2010, 01:09 AM

As far as i know that means he used his fingers, digital=digits=fingers.

AndrewP6
08-05-2010, 01:10 AM

It's when the act is committed with the fingers (or, in anatomical terms, 'digits')...

Stefcep
09-05-2010, 11:51 AM
does this mean he filmed it? How do we interpret 'digital'?

:d:d:d

jazzadogs
09-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Yeh. That was the other interpretation of digital, I was just surprised that it would require a second charge. Thanks guys.

The Coon Dog
11-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Former Saint Andrew Lovett settles with St Kilda

UPDATE 4.50pm: CONTROVERSIAL former AFL footballer Andrew Lovett has settled his legal dispute with St Kilda.

The news comes as the former Bomber prepares to return to elite football.

He has been named in the East Perth team to take on Peel Thunder in the WAFL this weekend, WAToday reports.

The speedy forward moved from Essendon to St Kilda in the offseason, but was sacked by the Saints without playing a game after he was charged with rape.

Article in full...
(http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/former-saint-andrew-lovett-returns-to-footy/story-e6frf9jf-1225878541301)

Remi Moses
11-06-2010, 11:35 PM
If Lovett beats these chargers does anyone see him playing AFL again?

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 11:37 PM

No i don't think anyone will give him another chance, has had many and does not learn which is a shame cause he can play if he put his mind to it

chef
12-06-2010, 07:52 AM

It will all come down to how well he's playing. If he's on fire(he will have to be playing exceptional football) someone will take the chance(or at least put a lot of thought into it). I don't want him at the Dogs.

Jasper
25-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Does he become Australia's O.J. Simpson?
Spend his life playing golf.

Surely some damages claim now in the wings

Greystache
25-07-2011, 02:35 PM
That could complicate things for St Kilda even further.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 02:37 PM

One can only hope.

Topdog
25-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Wow Im staggered by that, thought for sure he would be found guilty with all of the testimony involved from people at the house. Shows how hard it is to prosecute for rape.

bornadog
25-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Wow Im staggered by that, thought for sure he would be found guilty with all of the testimony involved from people at the house. Shows how hard it is to prosecute for rape.

Can't see your logic, its not as if all the people were in the room? Surely its between the girl and Lovett.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 03:16 PM
I honestly didn't think the case against him was strong enough for a guilty verdict.

Topdog
25-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Can't see your logic, its not as if all the people were in the room? Surely its between the girl and Lovett.

From everything we have heard it took her all of 10 seconds after the act to go running / screaming for help.

Reasonable doubt will always exist in rape cases unfortunately, esp when the victim is drunk.

I'll clarify the earlier comment as well. Not saying 100% he is guilty more surprised at how quickly it has ended.

Murphy'sLore
25-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Couldn't help feeling there may have been a whiff of racism about this one.

Mofra
25-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Their reasons for sacking him covers them - wasn't related to legal difficulties.

The last major study I read had a conviction rate of 0.15% including reported & non reported incidents (yes, 0.15%. That's 3 in 20,000). This was based on three years in Victoria in the late 1990s. Rape is virtually not even a crime in Australia.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 05:34 PM
The burden of proof for criminal proceedings is far greater than civil. If he tried suing St Kilda or the girl he'd be torn to pieces by the most junior lawyer.

bornadog
25-07-2011, 05:40 PM
The burden of proof for criminal proceedings is far greater than civil. If he tried suing St Kilda or the girl he'd be torn to pieces by the most junior lawyer.

Why would he have problems suing the Saints? He has a good case for wrongful dismissal or for ruining his AFL career and potential earnings. I can understand suing the girl may be an issue.

jazzadogs
25-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Why would he have problems suing the Saints? He has a good case for wrongful dismissal or for ruining his AFL career and potential earnings. I can understand suing the girl may be an issue.
From memory the Saints were very careful in their wording at the time of his dismissal, to make sure that if he was found non-guilty they wouldn't have any issues.

Topdog
25-07-2011, 10:17 PM

He wasn't dismissed for rape so he has no grounds.

Topdog
26-07-2011, 10:47 AM
What grounds would he have for wrongful dismissal? Basically I meant the same as jazz

Anyway it is a moot point, he has already been paid money to stop legal proceedings for any wrongful dismissal claims.

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 11:57 AM
The case is a total f up. I can see why the verdict was not guilty.

The Saints culture has a lot to answer for.