PDA

View Full Version : Broken contracts and football club responsibillities

ledge
29-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Had a thought today about the Levi incident.
Nowadays employees have a responsibillity to not encourage alcohol at functions, where are football clubs standing in this?
Could a player turn to a club and say i do not want to play at this club as they have not proffessionally looked after me and be entitled to be payed out their contract if proven the club was responsible for a player being tied to another player (an apparent leader of the club) and forced to drink himself into a stupor?

Clubs expect players to live up to a certain expectation i would think players would expect the same from clubs.

I would think even if Levi didnt agree to it , being told by a club leader and someone he looks up to, to do it, peer pressure etc did he really have a choice?

Levi is young and probably very impressionable at his age, admittedly he is over 18 but if I was his father I would be asking what the hell are you doing to my son and sadly this could turn a young kid bad.

The club did sanction this trip so just where does the responsibillity sit here?

alwaysadog
30-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Ledge you make a series of interesting points and by implication raise a lot more. Here’s my slant on the matter.

1. Their club has been at pains to claim this was an unofficial activity because if it was official ie club sanctioned, action for damages or other matters could be taken against them, and they would be liable.

2. Whether they could prevent their employees from conducting such an event in their own time without club sanction is probably a moot point. Whether the behavior at this event was similar to behavior at club organized player functions is probably more significant ie how complicit have they been in condoning this sort of behaviour in the past and what have they done about it?

3. Their club has been at pains to say they thought they had fixed the drinking problem when one player was traded to a northern club. This is a double edged sword, they want to earn Brownie points by having taken some action to fix it but are laying themselves open because they are admitting foreknowledge and thereby to questioning as whether it is reasonable to expect that trading one player would solve the problem.

4. There is no sign that the club in question has learned anything. The big pres is going to get angry if he can remember what it was all about when they return full of Christmas cheer. I can’t imagine Rocket and Smorgo waiting until the players got back from their xmas frivolities to deal with this matter.

5. If downlow night had not so publicly highlighted the problem and the boatgate scandal had not refreshed our memories would club officials have continued to brush it under the carpet?

6. Interesting that the AFL has issued this filth with a please explain but they never did, at least publicly, to the westside trash heap over the fiasco that was their drugs saga.

7. A leading journo and renowned supporter who should know better, has rationalised the problem away by saying it occurs because they have no one over 28 on their list. I’ve known kids half that age who have shown more leadership and courage when someone is being bullied and stood up. All those that watched and laughed are equally responsible. It just takes one or two to say “Stop, that’s enough. It started as a joke but it’s got past that!” I can’t believe that there is no one on their list who didn’t find it funny. What about all those self appointed members of the diplomatic corps known as the Visy Ambassadors? We know they are paid to do nothing, are they paid also to see nothing and to say nothing? Where do you find on-field leaders when no one stands up off-field?

8. Were the boy in question, my son, I’d be down at the ALFPA demanding they support an action for breach of contract on the part of the club with the intention of the boy being able to join the club of his choice irrespective of salary cap or other considerations. Perhaps if the rules that govern its processes were under threat the AFL would start worrying about more than its PR image and clubs might pay more than lip service to their responsibilities for the welfare of the young people who come under their care.

9. This storm in-a-beer-glass has been skillfully managed PR wise and we all know what the real outcome will be. Right now a PR counter offensive is being devised and the events will hardly be mentioned again unless the media sees some value in slow news weeks in poking away at it. Then the big gruff pres will sound all concerned and promise undefined action and a stern telling off, eventually a scapegoat will be sought and publicly exposed in feigned contriteness and humility. But will the problem be addressed? I think you already know my answer.

ledge
30-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Being employed by a big company like i am you are told that whether your at work or not your actions still represent the company and you will be sacked if your behaviour is not acceptable, clubs also say this.(I believe the AFL say it also represents them how players behave.)

Who was the apparent leader who he was tied to, and it also seems the captain is a great onfield leader but off field has no influence.

If this is to be cleared up it seems like they need some sort of thing like happened at Brimbank and Melton council where the government (in this case the AFL) stepped in and took over the running of this club.

ledge
30-12-2009, 08:10 PM
The journo excuse is weak as piss, and the biggest load of crap i ever heard, so under 28 its ok is what he is saying?

Topdog
30-12-2009, 08:55 PM
What is the journo excuse?

GVGjr
30-12-2009, 09:08 PM
I understand the responsibility of the club to provide a safe environment for their players but in this instance didn't the father get informed that he would need to pick up his son after the event because he would be in no condition to get home?
If that is the case, and not for one minute dismissing the club accountability, hasn't the father in some small way endorsed the event?

This doesn't discount the group pressure young Levi was under and the initiation he went through but what is the role of the parent in this especially if he was given a heads up that excessive drinking was going to occur with little or no supervision?

ledge
30-12-2009, 09:20 PM

Read number 7 in the above list.

ledge
30-12-2009, 09:28 PM
I understand the responsibility of the club to provide a safe environment for their players but in this instance didn't the father get informed that he would need to pick up his son after the event because he would be in no condition to get home?
If that is the case, and not for one minute dismissing the club accountability, hasn't the father in some small way endorsed the event?

This doesn't discount the group pressure young Levi was under and the initiation he went through but what is the role of the parent in this especially if he was given a heads up that excessive drinking was going to occur with little or no supervision?

Well actually he is over 18 so the dad cant do much i suppose except be there for his son.
Being a supposed AFL proffessional club and a kid trying to make it, maybe the dad things its ok and doesnt want to upset the boys chances.

GVGjr
30-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Well actually he is over 18 so the dad cant do much i suppose except be there for his son.
Being a supposed AFL proffessional club and a kid trying to make it, maybe the dad things its ok and doesnt want to upset the boys chances.

I don't quite get this though. In your opening statement you said:
but if I was his father I would be asking what the hell are you doing to my son and sadly this could turn a young kid bad.

Do you only ask the hard questions after the event or should it be done beforehand?

alwaysadog
30-12-2009, 10:10 PM

I've been in this situation and there are degrees, you agree to come because don't expect your kid to drive, you've taught safe drink/driving from a young age. But there is a long way between a son going out for a few drinks and a responsible parent agreeing to pick him up from what you expect to be a safe and supportive celebration and finding out that he has not only drunk far too much but also that he has been subjected to a drinking episode over which he had no control.

That to me is the nub of the issue and I can't compute how it was allowed to occur in this day and age in a public place at a function associated by some reports call a major sporting organisation.

What was that slogan about smell, well to me it's on the nose.

alwaysadog
30-12-2009, 10:16 PM

This is what really surprised me. It's not one of the hacks but someone I had admired but I've been wrong about the 4th estate before. I can only say that loyalty to his club overwhelmed his senses.

Anyway from now on I will avoid reading his copy. Others might care to follow, unless he recants.

alwaysadog
30-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Being employed by a big company like i am you are told that whether your at work or not your actions still represent the company and you will be sacked if your behaviour is not acceptable, clubs also say this.(I believe the AFL say it also represents them how players behave.)

Who was the apparent leader who he was tied to, and it also seems the captain is a great onfield leader but off field has no influence.

If this is to be cleared up it seems like they need some sort of thing like happened at Brimbank and Melton council where the government (in this case the AFL) stepped in and took over the running of this club.

Let's get serious what needs to occur and what happens at that club are completely different worlds. Investigate Carlton? What did honest John Elliott say about the hind quarters of a porcine animal.

The AFL fined them for salary breaches and then gave it back through other means and has funded the Elliott Princes Park development catastrophe shortfalls, but don't dare call them hand outs they only happen to clubs like ours, and we desperately need Princes Park for the millions who turn up to games that aren't held there.

Oh and the "please explain" should be understood to be please explain what PR strategy we should adopt to look good about his because our PR guys are committed to other tasks at the moment.

I'll believe in the AFL intentions and other matters if I see some real action or if I see pigs fly into the sunset... and I expect the latter before the former.

GVGjr
30-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Let's get serious what needs to occur and what happens at that club are completely different worlds. Investigate Carlton? What did honest John Elliott say about the hind quarters of a porcine animal.

The AFL fined them for salary breaches and then gave it back through other means and has funded the Elliott Princes Park development catastrophe shortfalls, but don't dare call them hand outs they only happen to clubs like ours, and we desperately need Princes Park for the millions who turn up to games that aren't held there.

Oh and the "please explain" should be understood to be please explain what PR strategy we should adopt to look good about his because our PR guys are committed to other tasks at the moment.

I'll believe in the AFL intentions and other matters if I see some real action or if I see pigs fly into the sunset... and I expect the latter before the former.

Big businesses won't succeed like they could if they don't have the right values in place and the AFL is a huge business but know they are still a mile behind where they should be.
I believe they will take a serious look at Carlton if they don't think these ongoing issues are being adequately dealt with.
Carlton need to address them as well because they won't climb the ladder if 2 or 3 times a year they have these distractions.

They have had a long culture of taking short cuts but they would be setting themselves up for further failure if they think they are above having strong values and behaviors in place. Kernahan has his work cut out for him.
Cutting Fev from the list probably only cleaned up 25% of the clubs problems.

ledge
31-12-2009, 01:18 PM
I am interested to see how Fev goes in Brissy, was he a problem that Carlton made themselves with bringing him up young in such a stupid environment?
Certainly doesnt look like Fev was the issue at this moment.

Twodogs
31-12-2009, 04:08 PM

Wouldnt he need to be .00 and not allowed behind the wheel after even one drink? I'm guessing that's why his dad was their to pick him up.

GVGjr
31-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Wouldnt he need to be .00 and not allowed behind the wheel after even one drink? I'm guessing that's why his dad was their to pick him up.He's over 19 anyway but that being said, the inference was more about that he would be in no condition to get himself home even with public transport etc. It wasn't just about not being fit enough to drive.

Twodogs
31-12-2009, 05:26 PM
He's over 19 anyway but that being said, the inference was more about that he would be in no condition to get himself home even with public transport etc. It wasn't just about not being fit enough to drive.

Do we know for sure that was the message hs dad was given? My point is that a statement like "You'll need to pick him up because he wont be any condition to drive" could mean any number of things.

ledge
31-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Do we know for sure that was the message hs dad was given? My point is that a statement like "You'll need to pick him up because he wont be any condition to drive" could mean any number of things.

Was this statement made before the event or after? After would mean the father maybe had no idea this would happen.