PDA

View Full Version : Richmond faces $1m hole after 5400 members fall off from this time last year

The Coon Dog
13-01-2010, 10:44 PM
# Sam Edmund # From: Herald Sun # January 14, 2010

RICHMOND is staring down the barrel of a $1 million shortfall, with its membership levels sagging.

The Tigers are down 5400 members on the same time last year, when Ben Cousins joined the club and generated enormous interest.

The membership vacuum this month equates to more than $1 million in club revenue.

RICHMOND is staring down the barrel of a $1 million shortfall, with its membership levels sagging.

The Tigers are down 5400 members on the same time last year, when Ben Cousins joined the club and generated enormous interest.

The membership vacuum this month equates to more than $1 million in club revenue.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself, just such pleasant reading).

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-faces-1m-hole-after-5400-members-fall-off-from-this-time-last-year/story-e6frf9io-1225818990954)

Rocco Jones
14-01-2010, 12:59 AM
It also means a lot of Richmond fans will have to find something else to tear up during late April and early May.

Remi Moses
14-01-2010, 01:07 AM
When can I donate :p:pSupposedly big 4 club ,what a joke!!!

Mantis
14-01-2010, 07:18 AM
At the very least Wallet sold hope to the Richmond faithful which in turn sold memberships.

Hardwick staying out of the limelight and not saying boo might mean there isn't as much pressure on Richmond to succeed, but has done nothing for promoting his club which creates revenue.

Remi Moses
14-01-2010, 10:11 AM
At the very least Wallet sold hope to the Richmond faithful which in turn sold memberships.

Hardwick staying out of the limelight and not saying boo might mean there isn't as much pressure on Richmond to succeed, but has done nothing for promoting his club which creates revenue.

I think Richmond supporters were sold such a lemon last season they've made aconcerted effort to stay quiet this pre-season. It was obvious that their membership was going to drop off with the Cousins effect last season and such an ordinary year.Football fans wont be sold on false hope and spin doctoring by marketing types at clubs.

LostDoggy
14-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Ok, call me a softy but I really feel sorry for any of the Melbourne clubs when they struggle - we were in the same boat not that long ago. :(

LostDoggy
14-01-2010, 10:43 AM
You shoud also factor in the loss of Matthew 'Aww, kick it to me!!' Richardson. Was a big hero to many at the Striped Tabbys.

G-Mo77
14-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Ok, call me a softy but I really feel sorry for any of the Melbourne clubs when they struggle - we were in the same boat not that long ago. :(

Their is a few I wouldn't care if they struggled financially, Richmond are one of them. For years I have heard Richmond supporters slag off our club because of financial issues. Let's see how short their memory is......

Big 4?? :D

Remi Moses
14-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Their is a few I wouldn't care if they struggled financially, Richmond are one of them. For years I have heard Richmond supporters slag off our club because of financial issues. Let's see how short their memory is......

Big 4?? :D

Didn't march make some wise crack about us not making aprofit since 1954?What goes around comes around,no sympathy for that lot!!

LostDoggy
14-01-2010, 11:26 AM
How's this for a bit of gobbledygook from Gale?

Speaking of Richo, "He's going to have to come to work in a suit every day and get his hands dirty,"

Huh?

LostDoggy
14-01-2010, 12:33 PM
They should be fine. Wallet gone as well as Nafan "I'm leaving to play finals football" Brown not there they should have heaps of cash.

Wasn't there a save our skins campaing way back when, those who live in glass houses. . .

The Adelaide Connection
14-01-2010, 04:47 PM

I am with you Suz, as a former Fitzroy supporter I know the feeling and I would hate to see anyone go under. It's kinda like hoping for serious injuries for opposition players. I hope for suspensions instead ;)

I even feel sorry for Port Adelaide who continue to struggle to pull crowds and get out of the red. As a Central District supporter and hater of all things Port that is suprising to even me.

ledge
14-01-2010, 05:09 PM
We now have the so called power clubs of the past, Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond in the wars money wise.
Essendon are the only power club to be in good hands still.

Must admit i do like to see these clubs being in strife after they have mouthed off about supporting other clubs for years, but no i dont want to see them disappear we need these clubs to hate.

GVGjr
14-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Every club has their share of fickle supporters or supporters who put conditions on their memberships and if we weren't performing as well as we have been we would be in a similar position.
We have been very fortunate that guys like Akermanis and Hall have been acquired cheaply especially given how many people signed up on the basis of these guys heading to the club.

I'd like to know how far the Tigers are behind two years ago? I think the Cousins factor last year just meant so many people jumped on earlier than they otherwise would.

Topdog
14-01-2010, 05:58 PM
One of my best mates is a Richmond supporter. He said he isn't buying a membership until he sees how they perform against Carlton in Round 1. He has been a member for the past 16-17 years.

LostDoggy
14-01-2010, 07:29 PM
One of my best mates is a Richmond supporter. He said he isn't buying a membership until he sees how they perform against Carlton in Round 1. He has been a member for the past 16-17 years.
:) Thats so Richmond. They will probably win that one given Carlton's pre-season, everyone will jump on the bandwagon then be off as normal by late April/early May.

Why is the season opener always 2 crap sides? The only saving grace is who ever wins it thinks they will be premiers.

hujsh
14-01-2010, 08:06 PM
:) Thats so Richmond. They will probably win that one given Carlton's pre-season, everyone will jump on the bandwagon then be off as normal by late April/early May.

Why is the season opener always 2 crap sides? The only saving grace is who ever wins it thinks they will be premiers.

It feels like 3 of the last 4 years has begun with Carlton and Richmond.

Swoop
15-01-2010, 09:29 AM
We now have the so called power clubs of the past, Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond in the wars money wise.
Essendon are the only power club to be in good hands still.

Must admit i do like to see these clubs being in strife after they have mouthed off about supporting other clubs for years, but no i dont want to see them disappear we need these clubs to hate.

I know Collingwood had to write off their losses after the hotel mistakes but are they really struggling financially? My understanding was they were still posting numbers as strong as ever in all areas besides some aftermath from the hotels that still lingers.

Topdog
15-01-2010, 10:35 AM

:D Thats exactly what I said to him. He sat there for about 5 seconds and then just shook his head in disappointed agreement.

Mofra
15-01-2010, 01:14 PM
I know Collingwood had to write off their losses after the hotel mistakes but are they really struggling financially? My understanding was they were still posting numbers as strong as ever in all areas besides some aftermath from the hotels that still lingers.
They are still no 1 for membership revenue so I can't see them in trouble for too long. Writedowns may not have a real impact on cashflow unless the loss is crystalised upon disposal.

bornadog
15-01-2010, 01:50 PM

Many Bulldogs supporters are the same. Every year we get our usual 20,000 signed but before the 1st round, then they trickle in till June - piss poor

LostDoggy
15-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Do you think that this year we could potentially have more members than Richmond?

ledge
15-01-2010, 03:54 PM
They are still no 1 for membership revenue so I can't see them in trouble for too long. Writedowns may not have a real impact on cashflow unless the loss is crystalised upon disposal.

From my understanding, they are having trouble selling the hotels, but McGuire insists they will be sold this season.
The longer they have them the more money goes down the gurgler.

LostDoggy
15-01-2010, 05:38 PM
They should start off with the 2 grand final sides opening the season..

Big Attendance + Live Broadcast = Ratings

Rocco Jones
16-01-2010, 02:00 PM
They should start off with the 2 grand final sides opening the season..

Big Attendance + Live Broadcast = Ratings

I would say that the AFL's thinking is why waste a great gimmick like the first game of the year on a match up that already has a great selling point?

Carlton vs Richmond is the type of game that would ordinarily get a good crowd but with the assistance of the first game selling point is boosted to a blockbuster type crowd. With trying to be funny, Richmond also probably can do with it's bigger games being early in the year before their season is practically over.

The Adelaide Connection
17-01-2010, 12:49 AM
From my understanding, they are having trouble selling the hotels, but McGuire insists they will be sold this season.
The longer they have them the more money goes down the gurgler.

My biggest questions are:
1, How the hell are they managing to run these pubs at a loss?
and 2, If these pubs are complete basket cases, why the hell would anyone else buy them?

ledge
17-01-2010, 02:58 AM
My biggest questions are:
1, How the hell are they managing to run these pubs at a loss?
and 2, If these pubs are complete basket cases, why the hell would anyone else buy them?

I have no idea, thats the questions the members need to put to Eddie.

LostDoggy
17-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Carlton vs Richmond is the type of game that would ordinarily get a good crowd but with the assistance of the first game selling point is boosted to a blockbuster type crowd. With trying to be funny, Richmond also probably can do with it's bigger games being early in the year before their season is practically over.

Good point - makes sense