PDA

View Full Version : Trading for picks hysteria

Go_Dogs
03-06-2007, 10:41 AM
This seems to be the trend on BF at the moment that we need to trade away some established players and get an earlier draft pick to select a tall. Some of the suggestions I've seen floating around have been terrible.

Does anyone seriously believe that we would trade Cooney or Griffen (both top 3 draft selections) plus our first round pick to secure a higher first round pick? To me, this just seems so far off the mark.

Certain people have used the example of Akermanis and Everitt being traded for mid 30's picks, and all of this sort of thing. Surely the reason both these players were so cheap was because they were wanting to move, and their both the wrong side of 30.

There is no way that we would ever trade a #1 pick such as Cooney, as well as our first round selection for a #1/2/3 pick! Stupidity. Why trade away a #1 draft pick who has now played well over 50 matches and is in fact closing in on 100, who we have put 4 good years of work into, for 'the chance' of 'possibly' getting a tall player who 'may or may not' develop into the star key forward that we so desire.

Tarrant was traded to Fremantle last year - one of the AFL's more highly rated KP forwards, and a top 10 choice and a fringe player. Certainly someone like Cooney by himself would warrant a top 10 draft choice, plus a reasonable quality fringe player.

I know the club would never undertake such a deal (well, I hope anyway, at least with the current regime.), but still people continue to suggest such terrible, terrible ideas.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent somewhere.

The signs with Walsh and McDougall are also very promising from the weekend too. That's two top 5 selection KP forwards who kicked goals. Keep them coming guys, and you won't be far off!

GVGjr
03-06-2007, 11:09 AM
People are getting frustrated and are venting their displeasure after every loss. Some of it makes for a good read and some of it is just one or two trying to bait some others.

The simple principle is that just about everyone at the club would be considered for a trade for the right price but the reality is that most of the examples currently being put forth wouldn't happen.

I must admit I'm getting sick of waiting for some players to develop into viable senior players but overall the list is taking shape. I'd love us to draft an outstanding KP prospect that could make an impact in his first season but that is unlikely.
If Eade and the coaching crew can extract the best out of Williams, Everitt and McDougall in the next season then our big man stocks will be heading in the right direction. With Grant going at the end of the season and one or two others reaching their use-by date, this is a hue priority for the club.

Mofra
03-06-2007, 11:59 AM
We wont at least one more tall forward and back as far as I can tell. I don't believe we
have to sell out some of our younger stars for it.

Forward:
Doogs is a work in progress as a forward target, but showed enough to suggest that despite immaturity he could be the one.
This is assuming Baird/Tiller don't progress, Harris stays back & Hargrave will stay in a mobile type role.

Back:
The more I see of him, the more I really like Everitt. He knows where to run & how to set up play. Wight & Williams will develop but Everitt is the one who could show the sort of leadership qualities in defence Harris is starting to now.

I don't think things are as bad as everyone suggests. We need to pressure the man with the ball more if we want to be legitimate contenders, and height is not a factor when it comes to putting your direct opponent under pressure.

Go_Dogs
03-06-2007, 12:47 PM
I tend to agree Morfa, with the majority of what you said. Pressure, hard running and attitude is of HUGE importance to us.

Whilst we can't yet rest as we don't yet have someone putting in strong performances at AFL level week in week out, we certainly appear to have a good mixture heading forward. We're going to need all of our young, midfield talent to move forward, and I feel that whilst no one besides Wight have really stamped their authority this season thus far, we have seen enough to suggest that we are heading in the right direction. I guess these days it's "easier" to select a quality tall due to all the research that goes into the recruiting process, however there are still no guarantees that we'd end up with the player we desire.

bornadog
04-06-2007, 09:34 AM
I can't believe some of the ridicoulos comments on BF. Cooney, Griffen, Ray, higgins these guys are the basis of our midfield in the future. There is no way we would or should trade these players.

Unfortunatetly tall guys take a lot longer to develop and the sooner we get a couple in the team the sooner they will develop. We have a bunch of talls that were recruited a few years ago and they are all under 25 years old, so its going to take time. I don't want to trade for an ageing tall, we have to develop these guys and the sooner the better.

GVGjr
04-06-2007, 09:50 AM
I can't believe some of the ridicoulos comments on BF. Cooney, Griffen, Ray, higgins these guys are the basis of our midfield in the future. There is no way we would or should trade these players.

Unfortunatetly tall guys take a lot longer to develop and the sooner we get a couple in the team the sooner they will develop. We have a bunch of talls that were recruited a few years ago and they are all under 25 years old, so its going to take time. I don't want to trade for an ageing tall, we have to develop these guys and the sooner the better.

Common sense will prevail. After having a good look at the Bees on the weekend, albeit against poor opposition, I think we have a number of very good tall options. Williams and Everitt will add a fair bit to the senior team and McDougall is better than I thought he might be. They all move very well and should be suited to the Eade game plan of mobile big men.

Twodogs
04-06-2007, 09:55 AM
I just thank God that footy clubs dont make their decisions based on a popular vote.

Viva la revolution.

Go_Dogs
04-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Anyone think we'll see at least one of these three talls play this coming weekend, perhaps all of them? (Williams, Everitt and McDougall).

bornadog
04-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Anyone think we'll see at least one of these three talls play this coming weekend, perhaps all of them? (Williams, Everitt and McDougall).

If the three come in then maybe Darcy and Wight would have to be dropped.

Mofra
04-06-2007, 07:38 PM

No, Minson is probably as good a chance as all three, considering only Street had any impact in the ruck (and his tapwork seems to have improved this year).

Everitt's frame is the only thing holding him back. Williams is still learning the game. McDougall would be almost guaranteed a game after his second efforts at ground level (size doesn;t matter if you want the ball that much & are prepared to run hard & chase).

Dry Rot
05-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Agreed a lot of madness over there re what to do at this season's end.

I suppose I sometimes think about the end of last season, and whether we should have got Polak instead of Everritt.

I'm also beginning to wonder if Aker will turn into another Winmar for us.

Mantis
05-06-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm also beginning to wonder if Aker will turn into another Winmar for us.

If he was used by his team-mates at the right time he would have kicked a minimum of 3 goals on Sunday. He puts himself in the right position, his team-mates need to take the blinkers off and use there vision to look at other options rather than always trying to kick the goal themselves.

Dry Rot
05-06-2007, 12:27 PM
If he was used by his team-mates at the right time he would have kicked a minimum of 3 goals on Sunday. He puts himself in the right position, his team-mates need to take the blinkers off and use there vision to look at other options rather than always trying to kick the goal themselves.

Interesting point - IIRC they don't kick to Street or McDougall when in good position either.

Mantis
05-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Interesting point - IIRC they don't kick to Street or McDougall when in good position either.

You've noticed too, they have there favourites..

Dry Rot
05-06-2007, 01:01 PM
You've noticed too, they have there favourites..

Echoes of Rohde's days.

Eade must stamp this out.

Mantis
05-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Echoes of Rohde's days.

Eade must stamp this out.

I thought our game plan in those days was based solely around West, Smith and Johnson playing kick to kick.

Dry Rot
05-06-2007, 01:45 PM
I thought our game plan in those days was based solely around West, Smith and Johnson playing kick to kick.

My "echoes" relate to kicking to favoured players, not those in the best position.