PDA

View Full Version : Sam Reid A Dog's Life

LostDoggy
24-01-2010, 06:44 AM
Sam Reid have Type 1 Diabetes, poor guy.

But I think he will make it through this, from the article.

:(

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs/a-dogs-life-20100123-mrrj.html

LostDoggy
24-01-2010, 08:45 AM
He has faced this with a lot of tenacity and has displayed more courage and spirit than you would expect from a 20 year old footballer. I tip my lid to the man and wish him well. Have seen how diabetes affects so many areas of the lives of those with it via some friends (both Type I and II). I do like how Sam said he would be a better footballer because he has to be more organised!

Bumper Bulldogs
24-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Sounds like a well mature 20 yo person, who will make an impact this on determination alone.

Best of luck for the future Sam.

Topdog
24-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Will obviously set him back this year (down 15 Kg's on where he was) but it sounds like he will get through it.

LostDoggy
24-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Once Sam has settled into a routine with his tyoe 1 diabetes he will be able to live a normal life,.
Sam has the right attitude to his condition and will be an incredible role model to those thousands of young children suffering with the same disease. There are millions of sufferers around the world and more than 140,000 in Australia. JDRF will continue to help find the cure and will never ever give up their quest. Sam is to be congratulated on his honesty and attitude. All the very best Sam.
________
HONEY OIL (http://trichomes.org/hashish/honey-oil)

BulldogBelle
24-01-2010, 11:22 AM
My younger sister is a type one diabetic too. I wonder how many other diabetic players there are in the AFL? Geez, the poor guy will have to monitor his sugar levels every single time he's on the bench. He'll need a few games at the highest level to get the nack of balancing his sugar levels mid game, knowing the amount of sweating required at AFL level.

Judging by that article he obviously doesn't want to make a big deal out of it to people but I cant help but give him a +10 in my books.

LostDoggy
24-01-2010, 11:29 AM
From my understanding Sam is the only player in the AFL with type 1. There are many elite ahtletes male and female with type 1. They now have insulin pumps which make monitoring and care of their condition a lot easier. Now that his fellow players understand his medical condition and he has come out and told them, his care will be a lot easier. I remember Nathan Basset and how he played, he too was a wonderful ambassador and showed the world that you can play elite sport and still manage type 1.
________
New mexico marijuana dispensary (http://newmexico.dispensaries.org/)

LostDoggy
24-01-2010, 11:44 AM
One more note, I have just discovered that there is a player with West Coast Eagles with type 1 Do not know the name Perhaps someone out there may know who he is.
________
Amc And Transmissions (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/AMC_and_Jeep_transmissions)

Twodogs
24-01-2010, 12:29 PM
I've been sitting on this news for a while now. Thank God it's out in the open and we can talk about it.

Good luck Sam.

LostDoggy
24-01-2010, 12:30 PM
All the best Sam, it is a disease you will have for the rest of your life, but their is advances being made in medicine all the time - so manage the disease now, and who knows how you will manage it in 10 or 20 years time.

ledge
24-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Sounds like this kid has a big drive to make it, well written and great info on some of us uninformed on diabetics.
Makes us appreciate what some people do just to lead a normal life, let alone be an elite sports person.

Will become a favourite of mine on the back of this for sure.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Sounds like this kid has a big drive to make it, well written and great info on some of us uninformed on diabetics.
Makes us appreciate what some people do just to lead a normal life, let alone be an elite sports person.

Will become a favourite of mine on the back of this for sure.

Seconded.

He sounds like he's really matured over the last 12 months. This isn't and won't be easy, but he's a tenacious type of character, and with the support of friends and family he should be OK.

One of my friends has type 1 too and it's very difficult. He can't eat or drink a lot of the 'luxury' foods and has to be incredibly organised. He's used of it now and thinks nothing of it. Certainly manageable but you need the right attitude to cope well.

LostDoggy
24-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Didn't Dale Weightman have type 1 diabetes?

LostDoggy
24-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Dale Weightman was diagnosed with type 1 at about the age of ten and has helped Diabetes Australia as one of their ambassadors. However Diabetes Australia usually helps those with type 2 . JDRF is focussed on one thing and that is finding the ultimate cure. Hopefully that will become a reality sooner than later
________
Toys oral (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1103/oral/videos/1)

LostDoggy
24-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Such a sad story..hope to see him out there this year doing what he loves as long as he is up to it.

LostDoggy
24-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Should sign him up to do some ambassadoring, Susie, seeing you have done and do a fair bit in and around diabetes research and fundraising. ;)

LostDoggy
24-01-2010, 06:28 PM
thanks for that. Have known of his condition for a while, but today's article was a complete surprise to me. Do not worry if he is prepared I am sure he would make a fabulous ambassador regards DaDruid and go the mighty dogs hope all is well with you
________
DODGE STRATUS HISTORY (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Dodge_Stratus)

LostDoggy
24-01-2010, 06:51 PM
When I do rhymes I'm not that choosey,
But I always do a good one for Susie.
I bet your driver had something to say,
After I saw you in Spring St. that day!

LostDoggy
24-01-2010, 06:59 PM
He is a polish migrant. Now a member of the Western Bulldogs. His first introduction to AFL was by me and he loves it.
________
Honda of Canada Manufacturing (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_of_Canada_Manufacturing)

AndrewP6
24-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Whilst it certainly is unfortunate, and means a number of lifestyle changes, it's hardly a death sentence. Properly managed, he can continue to forge his career - and with the club's resources, he's sure to be well looked after.

Good article though.

LostDoggy
24-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Good luck with all of this Sam. You were already one of my favourite players and now even more so.

Mofra
25-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Given the two other guys with type 1 diabetes both played over 200 games, I'd say the signs are good that Sam will manage his condition well.

DOG GOD
25-01-2010, 12:06 PM
All the best to Sam. I hope he makes a 200 gamer for the bulldogs. After reading that interview he certainly has a good strong head on his shoulders.

LostDoggy
25-01-2010, 10:38 PM
I have a cousin who got type 1 diabetes at 11, he's now 50, and I have known many type 1 & 2 diabetics over the years. Once they learn how to control it and realise what different symtoms are coming on, they can lead a "normal" & "healthy" life. Good on ya sam an keep going, You'll be a champion too Like Dale Wakeman, I believe was type 1 too. ;)

Mantis
25-01-2010, 11:02 PM
I have a cousin who got type 1 diabetes at 11, he's now 50, and I have known many type 1 & 2 diabetics over the years. Once they learn how to control it and realise what different symtoms are coming on, they can lead a "normal" & "healthy" life. Good on ya sam an keep going, You'll be a champion too Like Dale Wakeman, I believe was type 1 too. ;)

Is he a cross-bred hybrid of Wakelin and Weightman?

You were after Dale Weightman.

KT31
26-01-2010, 12:33 AM
Whilst it certainly is unfortunate, and means a number of lifestyle changes, it's hardly a death sentence. Properly managed, he can continue to forge his career - and with the club's resources, he's sure to be well looked after.

Good article though.

All the best to Sam, with a positive outlook and a disciplined diet he will be fine.
Lets hope he turns out to be the quality of the Flea.

Twodogs
26-01-2010, 07:37 PM
You'll be a champion too Like Dale Wakeman, I believe was type 1 too. ;)

Is he a cross-bred hybrid of Wakelin and Weightman?

Nope, I think he mean's this guy;

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/766/cover_4921919112009.jpg

He just got confused with the first name.

Bulldog Revolution
27-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Terrific article on Sam Reid

Adam Morrison - NBA basketballer with the LA Lakers is also a type 1 diabetic, having been diagnosed at 14.

azabob
01-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Massive effort by Sam Reid to be playing AFL senior footy by Round 14.

To go through what he has gone through shows amazing mental strenth and great character.

Major surgery over the off season and then to have his world as he knew it thrown upside down with being diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic.

Congratulations Sam, you should be feeling very very proud of yourself.

LostDoggy
01-07-2010, 06:50 PM
I cannot tell everyone just how proud I am of Sam Reid. He is gone through so much to get himself fit and ready to play in the big time. Go Sam, I will be watching and cheering you on tomorrow evening. I know every kid with type 1 already considers you a cult hero. Go Sam - Go Dogs
________
INTERRACIAL MATURE (http://www.****tube.com/categories/712/mature/videos/1)

The Pie Man
01-07-2010, 06:55 PM
I cannot tell everyone just how proud I am of Sam Reid. He is gone through so much to get himself fit and ready to play in the big time. Go Sam, I will be watching and cheering you on tomorrow evening. I know every kid with type 1 already considers you a cult hero. Go Sam - Go Dogs

Agreed, it's great news and from my perspective a pretty big AFL story with he getting back so quickly and well. Seems a tough nut both on and off the field.

Well done Sam, all the best tomorrow night/moving forward

LostDoggy
01-07-2010, 07:22 PM
I do hope the Herald Sun pick up on this story. It is tough playing football with type 1. I only know of two other AFL players who made the big time and played with type 1 Bassett from Adelaide and Dale Weightman from Richmond. I maybe wrong Go Dogs.
________
Land rover tangi specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Land_Rover_Tangi)

wend1604
01-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Go Sam and Go Dogs! :)

Anything is possible with the right attitude.

Topdog
03-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Switching radio stations last night I heard Mark Fine mention how courageous Sam Reid was with his battles with diabetes. Basically said he is a hero and inspiration to many young people in Australia.

azabob
03-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Switching radio stations last night I heard Mark Fine mention how courageous Sam Reid was with his battles with diabetes. Basically said he is a hero and inspiration to many young people in Australia.

I just hope his dream of playing AFL football and trying to manage his diabetes at the same time doesn't effect his long term health.

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 05:27 PM
spoke with Sam this morning. He has damaged both shoulders. Will now seek medical advice and what course of action he should take. He is a tough guy and needs all the support he can get.
Sam you are my hero and the hero of many young children with type 1. Chin up! Go the mighty Dogs
________
Dc medical marijuana dispensaries (http://dc.dispensaries.org/)

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Great courage showed by Sam, and what a blow to dislocate both shoulders last night (if the report I heard is correct). Gotta hope he is able to come back from these injuries. I think it has the potential to be a fine in and under player for us in the future.

DOG GOD
03-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Fantastic effort by Sam to get back out there after numerous bumps to his shoulders. Sorry to hear of the damage done. Just hope that he can get his body right and come back bigger and brighter in 2011.

U ROCK DUDE!!!!