PDA

View Full Version : Recovered Murphy a 'different man'

Mantis
27-01-2010, 11:12 AM
By Mic Cullen
9:45 AM Wed 27 January, 2010

WESTERN Bulldogs assistant coach Paul Williams says forward Robert Murphy is unrecognisable from the player severely hampered by injury last pre-season.

Murphy had enjoyed a fine campaign as the Dogs advanced to the 2008 preliminary final, but then required knee surgery and spent the summer dragging himself around Whitten Oval.

Read the rest here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/88884/default.aspx)

The Coon Dog
27-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Thanks Mantis.

I posted this on the thread about training resuming:

Just spoke with Murph at the EMW Day & he said that he's feeling the best he has in years with his knee. He had a cyst removed & said he feels like his old self!

Swoop
27-01-2010, 12:38 PM
I think it's been so long since we've seen Murph running around at 100% we actually forget how genuinely talented he is. I look forward to seeing him this upcoming season, he may actually be our best 'recruit'.

Ozza
27-01-2010, 01:15 PM
This is brilliant news.

At full fitness I think Murphy is behind only Cooney as our most talented player (taking BJ and Aker's age into account). He is such a hard match up for sides, and such a clever and hard working player - just a huge bonus for us if he stays fit.

Twodogs
27-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Gee this sounds like good news. Murph's ability to hit up a player in the forward line is outstanding. You could really see how it hurt us last year when he wasnt in the side.

Barry Hall must be licking his lips thinking about the delivery he will get from the likes of Cooney, Murphy, Griffin, Gilbee and Higgins.

Mantis
27-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Gee this sounds like good news. Murph's ability to hit up a player in the forward line is outstanding. You could really see how it hurt us last year when he wasnt in the side.

Barry Hall must be licking his lips thinking about the delivery he will get from the likes of Cooney, Murphy, Griffin, Gilbee and Higgins.

Really?

Personally I think this is one area of Murf's game that needs to improve. I find that he plays on and then 'bombs' the ball to the 'hot spot' far too often when perhaps he should work hard off the mark and try and spot up a leading player as suggested.

Bulldog Revolution
27-01-2010, 02:37 PM
I love his agility on the lead, and ability to turn and go quickly once he's got it

I'd like to see him hurt teams on the scoreboard more and have his career best goal kicking year

Go_Dogs
27-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Really?

Personally I think this is one area of Murf's game that needs to improve. I find that he plays on and then 'bombs' the ball to the 'hot spot' far too often when perhaps he should work hard off the mark and try and spot up a leading player as suggested.

I tend to agree with you Mantis. Too often he wheels around and puts himself under pressure by playing on, and as such doesn't give himself ample time to spot the best option and ensure he executes as well as he can.

The bullet he put on Josh Hill's chest vs Geelong however...

Back on the general topic, I think Murph really needs a big season, as he has become somewhat of an enigma. His best is very good, but we simply haven't seen it consistently for a while that most (myself included) have him probably down the talent pecking order.

It was only a couple of years ago that Clayton rated Murphy as the best player he had drafted during his time with the Dogs, and at that stage it included a pretty impressive list of guys including then future-Brownlow Medalist Adam Cooney.

Mantis
27-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I tend to agree with you Mantis. Too often he wheels around and puts himself under pressure by playing on, and as such doesn't give himself ample time to spot the best option and ensure he executes as well as he can.

The bullet he put on Josh Hill's chest vs Geelong however...

I see that one as being the exception not the rule, but it was a cracking pass. It would be great if Murf could lay a few more of these on rather than once a year.

Agree with the rest of your post (even though I deleted it). Murf is an outrageously talented player and I too hope he can produce the goods for us this year.

Go_Dogs
27-01-2010, 02:58 PM
I see that one as being the exception not the rule, but it was a cracking pass. It would be great if Murf could lay a few more of these on rather than once a year.

At the time I was sure it was a mis-kick as I wrote on here after the game! On replay I was slightly less convinced, but yes, I do agree that it's the exception not the general standard. He has the ability to do it more consistently, so hopefully with his knee in order we can expect some more well directed bullets in 2010.

Charlie the Wonder Dog
27-01-2010, 03:02 PM
I agree with all the posters so far that Murph's disposal into the forward 50 has left a little to be desired over the 2008 - 2009 seasons.

However, I am wondering whether the knee issues he has been suffering for all of that period have restricted him from kicking with the fluency I recall him having pre 2008??

Ozza
27-01-2010, 03:03 PM
At the time I was sure it was a mis-kick as I wrote on here after the game! On replay I was slightly less convinced, but yes, I do agree that it's the exception not the general standard. He has the ability to do it more consistently, so hopefully with his knee in order we can expect some more well directed bullets in 2010.

I did too. Had a strange trajectory for mine!

Mantis
27-01-2010, 03:39 PM
However, I am wondering whether the knee issues he has been suffering for all of that period have restricted him from kicking with the fluency I recall him having pre 2008??

Possibly, but my main issue has been with his decision making rather than execution. I guess he might not have the confidence to deliver the ball with precision so prefers the long bomb option rather than trying to pin-point a pass and have it intercepted or fail to hit the desired target.

Greystache
27-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Really?

I couldn't agree more, his propensity for playing on reached almost obsession in 2009. I would much rather he get back on the mark quickly and then try an pinpoint a leading forward rather than playing on and bombing it to the hotspot. I also notice he’s developed an affinity with swinging onto his left foot which he tends to spoon high and without penetration.

Does anyone know which knee was the troublesome one? Might be the reason for his reluctance to kick on his right foot.

As for the OP, if we have an injury free Murph playing the lead up CHF role with improved disposal, then it makes us a much more difficult proposition to man up on.

Before I Die
27-01-2010, 11:44 PM
I think his proclivity to play on from the mark is a strength. It creates movement in our forward line and uncertainty amongst the defenders. Of course that is conditional upon his ability to hit targets, which has been missing over the last two years. If his knee is really better, then his ability to quickly sum up the situation and hit targets under pressure should return and given that, I hope his play on at all costs approach continues.

Sockeye Salmon
27-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Short memories guys.

I think a few here saw Murphy butchering the ball in that final last year (with his leg numb from the jabs he'd had) and saying his kicking is a problem.

Murphy's kicking over his career has been first class.

Swoop
28-01-2010, 12:16 AM
There's two sides to Robert Murphy and his willingness to play on at all costs, for one it is unpredictable, aggressive, positive and encourages movement by our forwards. It also doesn't allow time for the opposition to push back into the defense and therefore means we are more likely to find a one on one contest in our forward 50.

The flip side is that opposition players are very clever and with the amount of footage available teams pick up on these small habits and are prepared for him to play on, just as teams devised a plan to curb Buddy and his willingness to swing around on the left. The fact that he is always looking to play on and teams are expecting him to do so actually mean his 'unpredictability' is in fact doing the exact opposite because the opposition is expecting him to play on and are prepared for it.

More than anything the biggest problem with this tactic is his execution and no doubt his injury has impaired his ability to finish like he would like to and like he has in the past. What's more frustrating is that as a player he hasn't identified how the injury has affected this aspect of his game and modified it accordingly.

In 2010 I look forward to seeing Murphy doing more of the same but with better execution as he will be minus the knee injury and I am confident in his skills when fully fit. I would like to see him use the left foot less especially after he has taken a mark and has the option to go back and use his preferred foot with time however again this may have more to do with his injury affecting him. All in all he needs to be able to show more variety in this area of his game so he isn't as predictable to defend and negate.

mjp
28-01-2010, 12:26 AM
I hope he continues to play on every time. Fast ball movement leads to one on one contests further afield...and one on one contests lead to goals.

The second he starts holding the game up to 'assess options' is the moment we start going backwards...that ridiculous slow ball movement against St Kilda in the 2nd quarter cost us more than not having a 'tall' forward did...you have to risk looking like an utter goose in order to break the game open. Murphy has the guts to do exactly that.

LostDoggy
28-01-2010, 12:47 AM
I hope he continues to play on every time. Fast ball movement leads to one on one contests further afield...and one on one contests lead to goals.

The second he starts holding the game up to 'assess options' is the moment we start going backwards...that ridiculous slow ball movement against St Kilda in the 2nd quarter cost us more than not having a 'tall' forward did...you have to risk looking like an utter goose in order to break the game open. Murphy has the guts to do exactly that.

I agree, hope he keeps doing it

GVGjr
28-01-2010, 07:22 AM

Around the field maybe but he isn't as reliable from set shots as he should be. Overall I think his kicking skills are just short on first class.

Bulldog4life
28-01-2010, 10:15 AM

I agree. Wouldn't mind betting that the Coach does too.

Go_Dogs
28-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Short memories guys.

I think a few here saw Murphy butchering the ball in that final last year (with his leg numb from the jabs he'd had) and saying his kicking is a problem.

I think most here can agree his kicking in general has not been terrific since his initial knee injury in 2006. Yes, he was dreadful in that final, but his kicking hasn't been to the high standard expected of Murph for a significantly longer period imo.

I don't disagree that we need that unpredictability and quickness of ball movement to score goals, but surely Murph would be far more dangerous if he took a second or 2 longer, got behind the mark quickly and spotted up a good option, or at least have area's where he knows fast leading players will be heading to, rather than bombing long to what is normally an out-numbered contest anyway, if we even have someone that deep in the 'hot spot'.

Barry Hall may allow these 'hot spot' kicks' more often perhaps, but at times we just need to be a bit smarter with our ball use. Geelong move it very quickly, but I rarely see their players turn blind and roost a ball to a hot spot without first weighing up their options...

LostDoggy
28-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Does anybody really think that Murphy's penchant for playing on arises from anything but team rules?

It might just be that if this action was considered not in the best interests of the side, Rocket would ban it.

With respect to his kicking, his effectiveness has been limited due to the injury. The article which started this discussion pointed that out and he is now injury free.

That being the case, it is not unreasonable to assume his kicking will return to his normal standard which in my view was first rate.

Go_Dogs
28-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Does anybody really think that Murphy's penchant for playing on arises from anything but team rules?

It might just be that if this action was considered not in the best interests of the side, Rocket would ban it.

I think you're probably spot on with this point, much like when Griff gets the ball the directive appears to be, take them on at all costs, every time.

If it is a team rule, I'd argue that it can cause more problems than it solves. Teams are aware of it, it puts our players under extra pressure and often results in turnovers that cost goals. A ban is probably not warranted, but more selective use of the tactic is what most seem to be suggesting here, which I think is a reasonable suggestion.

LostDoggy
28-01-2010, 11:02 AM
I think you're probably spot on with this point, much like when Griff gets the ball the directive appears to be, take them on at all costs, every time.

If it is a team rule, I'd argue that it can cause more problems than it solves. Teams are aware of it, it puts our players under extra pressure and often results in turnovers that cost goals. A ban is probably not warranted, but more selective use of the tactic is what most seem to be suggesting here, which I think is a reasonable suggestion.

I dont think it causes more problem than it solves. All it does is causes more one-on-one footy and less flooding back. And with the small forward line it was important to only have one-on-ones and back our small forwards on the lead.

I agree now they should be using a more selective use of the rule with Hall in the side.

Twodogs
28-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Really?

Short memories guys.

^^^^^^
What Jim said.

Mofra
28-01-2010, 01:01 PM
I dont think it causes more problem than it solves. All it does is causes more one-on-one footy and less flooding back.
Geelong & the Saints employ a zone, ditto Adelaide. If we wait too long before disposal they set the zone up & then we're in trouble. Fast ball movement is the new black.

Mantis
28-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Geelong & the Saints employ a zone, ditto Adelaide. If we wait too long before disposal they set the zone up & then we're in trouble. Fast ball movement is the new black.

And if the zone is already in place?

Murf has made a habit out of bombing the ball to Johnson & Hahn even when they are out-numbered.... It just kills there bodies having to compete in these situations. It may change a little with Hall being down there, but Hall isn't a pack-marking type so he will be the type of player Murf will hopefully be able to 'spot up' this year.

Swoop
28-01-2010, 03:38 PM

Murf has made a habit out of bombing the ball to Johnson & Hahn even when they are out-numbered.... It just kills there bodies having to compete in these situations. It may change a little with Hall being down there, but Hall isn't a pack-marking type so he will be the type of player Murf will hopefully be able to 'spot up' this year.
That's an excellent point you make there Mantis with regards to Barry Hall. I've noticed recently a lot of people referring to Hall as a long bomb option but the reality is he is a lead up player. Obviously he has the strength to compete with any opposition defender but I think Eade would not encourage any of our players to be kicking forward in hope and would in fact encourage players to go back and keep posession instead of bombing, praying and allowing a third man to affect a contest.

Finally, the long bomb is one of the main reasons for Hall's frustration at Sydney, their refusal to move the ball quickly and hit him on the lead led to him being continously frustrated at the slow movement and numbers dropping back in front of him. I would think he would be looking forward to the quick ball movement and precision passing that the bulldogs offer.

LostDoggy
28-01-2010, 04:41 PM

Agreed

But, by definition, if Murphy in a lead up role, takes the mark and then plays on, it will be unlikely that the zone will already be in place. In this situation, he should have a forward set-up which allows whoever is up there (it won't always be Hall) to be one out with their opponent(s)

I see a fit Murphy as big a bonus as the presence of Hall this year.

LostDoggy
28-01-2010, 05:43 PM
For the coaches out there. If the zone is in place, what options are there?
If we are behind like we were late in the prelim, I don't know of many other options other than bombing long. Sure we can ping around and try to draw them out but sitting on a lead a well drilled side won't be leaving the zone too quick.

Pembleton
28-01-2010, 06:08 PM
If we are behind like we were late in the prelim, I don't know of many other options other than bombing long. Sure we can ping around and try to draw them out but sitting on a lead a well drilled side won't be leaving the zone too quick.

Run it through with numbers linked by handballs to create a running shot at goal?

On the Bobby kicking debate, i think he is exceptional at weighting a pass, but has never been particularly good at kicking it flat and hard at a target leading towards him. This actually lends itself to the hot spot kicking Mantis raised, because he is good at dropping the ball on a good spot.

I think he does it a bit thoughtlessly at times though...his decision making seems to have suffered in the last few seasons, probably due to missing a lot of games here and there, and not being able to get out on the track much. Or perhaps he just hasn't trusted his legs to buy him the extra second or so of think time that a quick side step was always able to get him before his big knee?

mjp
28-01-2010, 06:21 PM

Get it down there before the zone has had time to get set. Either that or resign yourself to either:

1/.A shot on goal from the boundary.
2/.Kicking to a contest (and I mean 2 on 2 or worse) and praying for either a mark (unlikely - incredibly unlikely) or a front and centre (still unlikely but slight increase of a chance).

LostDoggy
28-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Really?

Mantis Murph has always been a talented player, he's aggressive when needed, an accurate kick, a thinker, an all round Star for us.If he happens to bomb the ball up, it's only because he see's the best opportunity of converting is to "a" have someone take a mark or "b" create a ruck contest that could give us a roving opportunity to goal.
Even when oly 80% fit he's stil got 110% HEART;)

Sockeye Salmon
29-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Get it down there before the zone has had time to get set. Either that or resign yourself to either:

2/.Kicking to a contest (and I mean 2 on 2 or worse) and praying for either a mark (unlikely - incredibly unlikely) or a front and centre (still unlikely but slight increase of a chance).

But isn't the answer to all Bulldog supporters prayers a big forward who takes contested pack marks?

mjp
29-01-2010, 02:21 AM
But isn't the answer to all Bulldog supporters prayers a big forward who takes contested pack marks?

Yep - but it isn't 1975 and there are no one-out contests for Templeton to take advantage of. No-one in the entire competition takes the kind of marks we all fantasise about - but because we haven't had someone 'threatening' to do it we allow ourselves to dream.

Franklin does it on athleticism, Brown is good one-on-one (but cannot unravel the riddle of one-on-two), Fev gets you on the lead (and so does Riewoldt), Cloke isn't as good since he gained 15kgs 'cos he cant cover the ground anymore, Kossy did it for 4 games back in 2005 but hasn't come close to that form since...who else even is there?

Hall you say? Well, he is a lead up forward. That is his go. More than that, he is a lead-up forward in his mid-30's with his best footy in his past, not his future.

Mofra
29-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Then it's largely too late, which is why the coaching staff ask players to play on, make quick decisions etc. Smart/quick decision makers are gold in modern footy, and Murphy is one of them.

But, by definition, if Murphy in a lead up role, takes the mark and then plays on, it will be unlikely that the zone will already be in place. In this situation, he should have a forward set-up which allows whoever is up there (it won't always be Hall) to be one out with their opponent(s)
Exactly, that was my point. Glad someone understood it.

Mantis
29-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Then it's largely too late, which is why the coaching staff ask players to play on, make quick decisions etc. Smart/quick decision makers are gold in modern footy, and Murphy is one of them.

Murphy has become by and large 'predictable' with his forward entries and the opposition are a wake up to it. Playing on and kicking long to the 'hot spot' might get the ball inside 50 quickly (which is preferable), but if you pull the same move every time the opposing teams cotton on and then put in plans to counter this move.... which I feel has happened.

Twodogs
29-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Murphy has become by and large 'predictable' with his forward entries and the opposition are a wake up to it. Playing on and kicking long to the 'hot spot' might get the ball inside 50 quickly (which is preferable), but if you pull the same move every time the opposing teams cotton on and then put in plans to counter this move.... which I feel has happened.

You dont think that might have something to do with the fact he hasnt had the abilty to shift direction or move sideways due to his chronic knee problems over the last couple of seasons?

If his knee has improved as much as they are saying it has then Murph can be a weapon in the forward line for us this year.

LostDoggy
29-01-2010, 02:02 PM

My two cents:

Guys who can kick a goal from 60+ out become quite valuable. We've all seen the set play outside the 50 where Lindsay on quite a few occassions bobs up to take a short handpass from a half-forward and kick for goal. The deeper and deeper teams clog up space the more important these NAB-cup 9-point super-goals become.

Also goal-scoring midfielders -- ala Gablett, Bartel, Coons, Boydy -- become worth their weight in gold. Griff had three shots in the second quarter of the prelim after running at/around/through the zone that just missed. If any of those had gone in the Dogs' momentum would have been huge.

LostDoggy
29-01-2010, 02:11 PM

Correct me if my memory is faulty, but I seem to recall that after our loss to the Saints in the H&A season after having the same number of forward 50 entries (most of which were taken by Gilbert/Fisher), Rocket came out and explicitly spoke about the quality of our forward 50 entries and singled out Murph (but also said that others were guilty of it) for bombing it in without looking DESPITE having worked on spotting up a lead.

It was after this game that it was a lot more noticeable that players taking a mark two kicks out took significantly more time to look around and spot up a free player, even if it meant holding on to the ball quite a bit.

In fact, IIRC, it was instrumental to the quality of our first two quarters in the prelim that we weren't just kicking it in and allowing the St.Kilda half-back line to rebound as they did in the H&A game, and were almost happy to just keep possession outside the 50 rather than kick it in and lose it (which of course, is counter-intuitive to 150 years of AFL tradition). It also contributed to us controlling the game without putting a huge score on.. very soccer like.

I think Rocket DID ban it -- he spoke after the Prelim about us getting tired towards the end and just going back to bad habits like bombing it blindly in to the hotspot, and it was no secret he was talking explicitly about Murph in the final quarter.

Mantis
29-01-2010, 02:17 PM
You dont think that might have something to do with the fact he hasnt had the abilty to shift direction or move sideways due to his chronic knee problems over the last couple of seasons?

No I don't.

He has still tried to use his 'signature move' even with a dodgy knee. If his knee was giving him grief why not try to move the ball along with short calculated passes like Gia does. I know that this allows opposing teams to implememnt their zones, but I would prefer that we keep possession rather than sitting the ball on top of Hahn or Johnson's head.

LostDoggy
29-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Correct me if my memory is faulty, but I seem to recall that after our loss to the Saints in the H&A season after having the same number of forward 50 entries (most of which were taken by Gilbert/Fisher), Rocket came out and explicitly spoke about the quality of our forward 50 entries and singled out Murph (but also said that others were guilty of it) for bombing it in without looking DESPITE having worked on spotting up a lead.

It was after this game that it was a lot more noticeable that players taking a mark two kicks out took significantly more time to look around and spot up a free player, even if it meant holding on to the ball quite a bit.

In fact, IIRC, it was instrumental to the quality of our first two quarters in the prelim that we weren't just kicking it in and allowing the St.Kilda half-back line to rebound as they did in the H&A game, and were almost happy to just keep possession outside the 50 rather than kick it in and lose it (which of course, is counter-intuitive to 150 years of AFL tradition). It also contributed to us controlling the game without putting a huge score on.. very soccer like.

I think Rocket DID ban it -- he spoke after the Prelim about us getting tired towards the end and just going back to bad habits like bombing it blindly in to the hotspot, and it was no secret he was talking explicitly about Murph in the final quarter.

I seem to recall he was talking about Hargrave after the H&A game

How many times did Murphy get his hands on the ball in the last quarter - not too many I would suggest?

Go_Dogs
29-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Also goal-scoring midfielders -- ala Gablett, Bartel, Coons, Boydy -- become worth their weight in gold. Griff had three shots in the second quarter of the prelim after running at/around/through the zone that just missed. If any of those had gone in the Dogs' momentum would have been huge.

In general, I think midfielders need to get more dangerous. Geelong always have a few mids drift forward just inside the I50, who can get spotted up with short sideways kicks that result in shots on goal from about 40 out, normally from a fairly good position.

Long-kicking midfielders who can penetrate the zone, or kick goals from outside 50 are also very important as you have said.

Gotta say, some great off-season discussion in this thread! Hats off to all :)

mjp
29-01-2010, 04:27 PM

How are they countering it?

The only way you can counter a quick play-on is by getting numbers back...if the opposition are countering by doing that as you suggest then we have taken too long to get the ball to Murphy.

Is it possible to upload a short avi to this site of late 2nd quarter of the St Kilda game? It actually shows Murphy holding play up for what it is worth, but features both Johnson and Ward - both good kicks - kicking blindly inside 50m to a contested situation...but it shows all 36 players within 65m of our goal. Move the ball more quickly and this cannot happen. Further, once the 'flood' is on (and we do it as well) there are simply no leads to spot up - it is just good defending by the Saints - they really slowed us down from the outset and protected goal-side within the scoring zone.

The alternatives are run at the zone and have a shot on goal (which Johnson tries to do without success) or do as I suggested earlier. Oddly enough we nearly score after we turn the ball over - the Saints have to run forward to provide a target, we apply pressure and get the ball back and hey presto, there is 'space'. If not for Griffen's poor kick/lack of vision (take your pick) we would have had a set shot from 30m out directly in front.

LostDoggy
29-01-2010, 06:56 PM
This has been a bloody good thread to read. Everyone has their own opinion and none of them are necessarily wrong.

I cant wait to see how Murphy goes in 2010 and will be keeping a close eye on him. He is a talented player and hopefully we can see him playing well again before he retires.

mjp
29-01-2010, 07:41 PM
This has been a bloody good thread to read. Everyone has their own opinion and none of them are necessarily wrong.

Of course someone is wrong. That is the nature of things...the reality is though that all of our debate is based around what happened in 2009 - there is going to be a new wrinkle in the game this year that none of us have foreseen that will throw another spanner into the works.

LostDoggy
29-01-2010, 10:23 PM
My two cents:

Guys who can kick a goal from 60+ out become quite valuable. We've all seen the set play outside the 50 where Lindsay on quite a few occassions bobs up to take a short handpass from a half-forward and kick for goal. The deeper and deeper teams clog up space the more important these NAB-cup 9-point super-goals become.

Lantern, unfortunately alot of our guys had shots at the goals in that game, and the game against the cats. however they didn't kick through the ball. They kicked that ridiculous dribble kick that "If it goes through it's a Blinder" but if it doesn't. Well i don't think I need to say more apart from better do better this year

Na I will say more.

we use an OVAL Ball.
once it s kicked there is NO control over it
Therefore if you kick it along the grond it will bounce where ever it pleases.
therefore, if you want to kick it though the goals, Kick the ****en thing straight through them, not along the ground. COZ IT WILL BOUNCE AWAY:mad:

mjp
30-01-2010, 12:24 AM

Actually, you can make it roll exactly the way you want too if you practice it...That is the beauty of the oval ball - you can make it turn. More than that, sometimes it is the only way to get it through the goals. We do a pre-training drill where the players have to kick the ball around a 400m track without it going outside of a single lane.

That said, a straight kick should just be kicked through the goals as you suggest - no need to bounce it in the square.

Twodogs
30-01-2010, 02:26 AM
we use an OVAL Ball.
therefore, if you want to kick it though the goals, Kick the ****en thing straight through them, not along the ground. COZ IT WILL BOUNCE AWAY:mad:

Nope, cant agree with that. Like Mike says above the fact that the ball is oval means that good players can make the ball 'talk'. Heck even I can stand in my lounge room and kick a footy through my bedroom door (which is basically at a right angle) by caressing the point of the ball with the outside of my foot.

It's just a matter of getting the technique (timing, ball drop and hitting the ball with the correct part of the foot) right and the rest takes care of itself.

PS Let's make this the last time you avoid the swear filter-please just write the word as it's spelled correctly. The grown ups amongst will understand the context and those that dont probably shouldnt be exposed to it!

Mantis
30-01-2010, 10:31 AM
How are they countering it?

The only way you can counter a quick play-on is by getting numbers back...if the opposition are countering by doing that as you suggest then we have taken too long to get the ball to Murphy.

By zoning off their direct opponents as they know where the ball is going to be kicked.

I am in agreeance with what you are saying re: quick ball movement, and I guess you can't have it both ways, but I would like to see Murphy use his good kicking skills too our advantage rather than just kicking the ball in hope which I feel he has a tendency to do.

LostDoggy
30-01-2010, 10:45 AM
....he spoke after the Prelim about us getting tired towards the end and just going back to bad habits like bombing it blindly in to the hotspot, and ....

It happened so consistently, I thought the players must have been under instruction, perhaps a percentage thing, it only needed someone to take a mark and goal and the game was won. It might be different this year, though. A fast Murphy long ball into the path of a moving Hall, giving him a run at the ball with Aker and Higgins lurking.

KT31
30-01-2010, 11:16 AM
It happened so consistently, I thought the players must have been under instruction, perhaps a percentage thing, it only needed someone to take a mark and goal and the game was won. It might be different this year, though. A fast Murphy long ball into the path of a moving Hall, giving him a run at the ball with Aker and Higgins lurking.

Lets not forget Johnno and Gia.

Dazza
30-01-2010, 01:16 PM
I seem to remember Murphy leading the competition in goal assists a few years back. If he gets his kicking back to it's best he is going to be extremely important to us. Having both Cooney and Murphy a little hampered last year hurt us a fair bit because I'd probably rate them up in our most important players with Lake obviously the most important cog of the side.

hujsh
30-01-2010, 01:54 PM
I seem to remember Murphy leading the competition in goal assists a few years back. If he gets his kicking back to it's best he is going to be extremely important to us. Having both Cooney and Murphy a little hampered last year hurt us a fair bit because I'd probably rate them up in our most important players with Lake obviously the most important cog of the side.

I imagine that was Gia.

Twodogs
31-01-2010, 02:50 PM
we use an OVAL Ball.

It's just a matter of getting the technique (timing, ball drop and hitting the ball with the correct part of the foot) right and the rest takes care of itself.

Just to further my point;

http://heraldsun.youlegend.com.au/

Open the link and click on the video called "Seven worm burners in a row"