PDA

View Full Version : Tortured?

mjp
30-01-2010, 11:22 AM
After the Vikings lost again this week, the following column was written about 'Tortured' fan bases.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100129&sportCat=nfl

After five (5) prelim final losses in the past 25 years - including 3 by less than 10 points - I reckon we easily lead the AFL in this category. I guess Richmond fans are tortured, but that is by incompetence and not because they keep losing big finals by small margins...

Saints maybe? But at least they have played in two gf's in the last dozen years.

Bulldog Revolution
30-01-2010, 11:32 AM
There is no doubt we are up there

Richmond haven't been as tortured because they haven't been anywhere near close in 25 years - they've had the odd final but rarely two years in a row.

Its another level of tortured to be so close you can taste it but not actually get it done e.g all of our prelim final losses

St Kilda do need careful consideration though, because of the two grand final losses - and they absolutely should have won last year - I think it would qualify as the ultimate stomach punch game in Simmons terminology

KT31
30-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Melbourne are another team that could come under consideration, if you just take in the last 25 years.
Definitley between us and the Saints though.
Losing five prelims in 25 years,never finishing in first spot,winning 1 flag in 80 years and our last appearance in 1961 has been gut wrenching.
But not to sure how we would feel being done in two winnable Grand finals.(and never want to)

LostDoggy
30-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Melbourne are another team that could come under consideration, if you just take in the last 25 years.
Definitley between us and the Saints though.
Losing five prelims in 25 years,never finishing in first spot,winning 1 flag in 80 years and our last appearance in 1961 has been gut wrenching.
But not to sure how we would feel being done in two winnable Grand finals.(and never want to)

I don't like crying in toilet cubicles at prelims, DO NOT want to EVER have to do that at a grand final.

bornadog
30-01-2010, 01:29 PM
[/U]
I don't like crying in toilet cubicles at prelims, DO NOT want to EVER have to do that at a grand final.

I want to at least experience getting to a GF, something I have never seen.

Doc26
30-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Well there is still hope yet for us tortured Bulldog tragics.

The last three years aside I would say Geelong fans would've had a fair case to lay claim to that infamous prize particularly throughout the 90s.

mjp
30-01-2010, 01:47 PM
[/U]

No idea what it would feel like - we have never got there. I am sick of losing prelims and would trade a losing grand final for no grand final at all.

DOG GOD
30-01-2010, 01:57 PM
No idea what it would feel like - we have never got there. I am sick of losing prelims and would trade a losing grand final for no grand final at all.

Totally agree Mjp...I just wanna GET THERE!!!!!

KT31
30-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Totally agree Mjp...I just wanna GET THERE!!!!!

I'd take a losing one only after we had won a couple in a row.

w3design
30-01-2010, 05:46 PM

Yeah well I unfortunately have. And nothing is as gut wrenching as watching your beloved dogs absolutely shredded in a GF believe me. It took me more than a decade to get over that, only to have to put up with the prelim steals by the Crows. Not getting there is an absolute pain, but take it from me, getting there and losing is absolutely no fun either.
May the heroics of 54 recur real soon, my soul needs soothing.

Remi Moses
31-01-2010, 01:34 AM
I just hope if we made it we don't fall for this ''We've hada great year anyway'' that has bestowed Stkilda fans I know. It's funny the grief Geelong got compared to Stkilda who had just as dominant year as the Cats had in 08. Just reckon Stkilda have got off lightly

The Pie Man
31-01-2010, 06:13 PM

I'm looking forward to the Friday/Saturday morning after a victorious prelim where I wake up and remember 'hey, we're playing in the grand final next weekend'

Keep getting told a losing GF is worse than not making it....(Collingwood fans) I'd rather find out the hard way then just buy it