PDA

View Full Version : What Changes Round 11

bornadog
04-06-2007, 09:43 AM
While the carlton game is fresh in the mind, what changes should we make without going over board?

Here are my suggestions.

Out: Power, Robbo, Darcy, Hahn and Addison

In: Minson, Doogs, Everitt, Harbrow and Ray

Although 5 changes are alot, but then again we are up against an inexperienced Brisbane so may be an opportunity to blood a few players. The only player I am hesitant in dropping is Addison.

Go_Dogs
04-06-2007, 10:26 AM
I think Power will be one whose looked at for sure. Based off yesterdays efforts, there are quite a few others who would come close, including Robbo, Hahn. Eade said there were 6 players he'd be looking at, not too sure who the others would be, although Darcy would probably be close I think he'll be retained. Addison I thought did OK again, but I've been impressed by him most of the year whilst quite a few haven't been as impressed.

It looks to me as though Griff and McMahon are still not at 100%, I'd almost like to see them have another week off, plus the mid-season break and come back at 100%, the problem is that both play a similar role and are important to our run and carry from defence.

Williams, Everitt, Minson and McDougall all played good B's footy and would all have to be close. Would Wight be a chance to miss if we gave a few talls a run? Ray will come back I think, and Harbrow would have to be a chance soon as he'll be back to a rookie before too long.

bornadog
04-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Justr realized, Bob Murphy will be up for consideration, but is that one too many players coming back from injury. Clearly McMahon and Griffen were still feeling the effects of missing games with injury.

Bulldog Revolution
04-06-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm pretty similar to Bornadog, but I cant drop Addison - I'm his no 1 fan and his endeavour is first class, but at times its really clear hes a 9 gamer.

In: Murphy, Minson, McDougall - IMO certainties

Ins (possibles):
Ray - unsure whether 1 week will have been enough to address the match committees reasons for dropping him
Harbrow - depends on the makeup of the forward line - I'd like to see him in
Everitt - will this be a good game to debut him in?

Outs:
Darcy - needs close to four quarters at W'Bee - its not ideal but not unexpected that guy who'd been out of it this long is going to take time - been too inconsistent.
Hahn - I feel similarly about Hahn although the delivery into the forward line has been ordinary he just didn't have enough impact
Robbins - the structure of the forward line is not working and I thought Higgins did more of the tough stuff this week saving his scalp.
Power - it really is time for him to turn the corner, we've had a lot of patience with him, he's played 77 games, and there is no physical reason he shouldn't have more impact.

firstdogonthemoon
04-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Wouldnt Gia be up for consideration?

And I hate to say it, but Eagle might get a mention. Although I personally think he has been ok, he is clearly far from his best form.

I think it would be harsh to drop Addison.

Bulldog Revolution
04-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Wouldnt Gia be up for consideration?

And I hate to say it, but Eagle might get a mention. Although I personally think he has been ok, he is clearly far from his best form.

I think it would be harsh to drop Addison.

Gia was one of the players given praise by Eade for the job he did on Scotland - I guess it shows that sometimes we dont see the value of a player, because we dont know the context of their role

I think Eagle is safe

Mantis
04-06-2007, 03:31 PM
I think realistically we have to make a minimum of 6 changes this week. We can't continue to go down the same path of relying on Johnson to be our sole target in the forwardline, as good a player as he is he needs some help. Darcy and Hahn are out of form, its not easy coming back from a reco and they need atleast 2 or 3 games at the lower level to regain some touch.

I would go with atleast the following:

In: McDougall, Minson, Skipper, Everitt, Murphy, Harbrow

Out: Hahn, Darcy, Robbins, Power, Wight, Addison

Others close to being dropped:

Eagleton, Boyd, Giansiracusa, Griffen

If you would like me to offer you some feedback on why, I'm happy to divulge.

Dry Rot
04-06-2007, 03:36 PM

ie your opinion of each, or you have some inside goss?

Mantis
04-06-2007, 04:12 PM
ie your opinion of each, or you have some inside goss?

Just my opinion's.. I do get a little bit of inside goss occassionally but the 6 changes are just what I think.

bornadog
04-06-2007, 04:52 PM

I can't agree to dropping Boyd and Gia. Gia played a a run with role on Scotland and still amassed 20 posessions, two goals. Boyd had 21 posessions, seven marks and plenty of centre clearances.

It was tough going into the game with both McMahon (who is still injured BTW and shouldn't have played) and Griffen who also didn't look right.

Feedback on why would be interesting

GVGjr
04-06-2007, 05:20 PM
I think realistically we have to make a minimum of 6 changes this week. We can't continue to go down the same path of relying on Johnson to be our sole target in the forwardline, as good a player as he is he needs some help. Darcy and Hahn are out of form, its not easy coming back from a reco and they need atleast 2 or 3 games at the lower level to regain some touch.

I would go with atleast the following:

In: McDougall, Minson, Skipper, Everitt, Murphy, Harbrow

Out: Hahn, Darcy, Robbins, Power, Wight, Addison

Boyd is the most interesting out of this lot. I'd like to hear more about that one.
Also, does Eade have it in him to make 6 plus changes?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Boyd is the most interesting out of this lot. I'd like to hear more about that one.
Also, does Eade have it in him to make 6 plus changes?

I'm not sure Eade will drop 6 at once. I think 3 may go this week

Darcy -needs some time to regain some form away from the spotlight. At the moment he is only doing his confidence in by trying to regain form at the top level. Minson to come back in for him.. or maybe McDougall if Wight survives the chop as I don't t hink Mcdougall is going to do much in the ruck.
Wight- just off the boil since the Collingwood game, and Everitts sustained performances with Werribee deserve a shot. Maybe Tommy Gun Williams would be considered for this spot.

Robbins- 2 tackles in 4 games was a stat that flashed on the screen during the game.. not good enough as this was his real value to the side over the past 2 years. Murphy to come in for him.

others under the pump but who survive due to lack of ready replacements... Addison & McMahon...and Eagleton.

If either McMahon or Eagleton don't lift against the Lions, then Ray would come back under consideration the next week.

I don't understand why Boyd would be up for consideration.. dind't play his best game, but in my opinion he would be in the top 3 or 4 in our B & F so far this year.

bornadog
04-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Apparently McMahon told the coaching staff he was right to go but they realized in the first quarter he had a quad problem. Heard this from Ox on SEN as he was in the coaches box yesterday.

Mantis
05-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Boyd - I honestly believe we cant play Boyd, West & Cross in the same team. They are all very good players, but are too much alike. The are all one paced, they have great endurance, but lack leg speed, they all lack penetration and accuracy with there kicking. More importantly they are all only midfielders, they really cant play anywhere else. Our midfield seriously needs a change up, we need to get some fresh faces in there. If Boyd doesn't tag he really doesn't have a role to play. We cant continue to keep playing 3 slowish midfielders in our team if we are to improve in this competition. West and Cross also need to become far more accountable for there opponent, both play a shoot-out style and it is killing us, both have to be held responsible for there direct opponents.

I seriously believe the make-up of our midfield needs to be looked at post-season. I would think that come 2008 we would like to see more of Cooney, Griffen, Higgins and Addison (tagger) in the midfield. Where does that leave West, Cross and Boyd?

bornadog
05-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Where does that leave West, Cross and Boyd?

Well we keep thinking how long can West go on racking up 30 posessions per week and he keeps doing it. Will he still be doing that next year or does he somehow take on a different role? Maybe he spends even more time on the bench, like Couta and comes on in the last quarter?

Mantis
05-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Well we keep thinking how long can West go on racking up 30 posessions per week and he keeps doing it. Will he still be doing that next year or does he somehow take on a different role? Maybe he spends even more time on the bench, like Couta and comes on in the last quarter?

I think this is the best course of action at the moment, he played forward for a bit on Sunday, missed an easy goal and really doesn't really provide an option for us. He should be sent to the bench for a rest not to the forwardline where we have plenty of other options.

GVGjr
05-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Mantis, how would you structure the team for the game against the Lions?
I'd be very interested to see how you would set-up the side

FB:
HB:
C:
HF:
FF:
RK:

Int:

Mantis
05-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Mantis, how would you structure the team for the game against the Lions?
I'd be very interested to see how you would set-up the side

FB: McMahon, Morris, Hargrave
HB: Gilbee, Harris, Everitt
C: Akermanis, West, Griffen
HF: Murphy, Skipper, Giansiracusa
FF: Higgins, McDougall, Johnson
RK: Street, Cross, Cooney

Int: Minson, Eagleton, Harbrow, Boyd

The above is going on the 6 changes that I made to the team.

Obviously would put Harris onto Brown. Brisbane generally have a rather small forwardline, I would be tempted to bring in Williams to play on Mitch Clark, if not would hope that Hargrave or Everitt could do the job.

Up forward would keep 2 talls on the ground at all times, rotating Minson, Skipper and McDougall through CHF and FF. I think we need to start playing a more conventional style with a couple of talls to play through. I would hope these talls provide a strong contest and continually present. I would hope that our midfielders would use the best available target rather than going to the same predictable targets as we have recently.

GVGjr
05-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Just as an observation you have listed Westy twice but I assume you mean Cooney as the rover

Mantis
05-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Just as an observation you have listed Westy twice but I assume you mean Cooney as the rover

Fixed it up.. What are your thoughts on this line-up?

Dry Rot
05-06-2007, 12:26 PM

Small query whether we would get more out of Addison than Harbrow.

Big query re Skipper at CHF.

Otherwise looks good to me.

Mantis
05-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Small query whether we would get more out of Addison than Harbrow.

Big query re Skipper at CHF.

Otherwise looks good to me.

I am a big fan of Addison, like the way he attacks the ball and the man with the ball, would like him to go back to Werribee for 2 or 3 games and work on his disposal and decision making. At the moment he is only getting 10 or so possessions a game and making 3 or 4 errors with these which is costly. Long term he will be a very important player for us. The team I have chosen has no real back up defensive wise if the starting back 6 struggle, maybe send Griffen back to help. Just think Harbrow offers us a bit of creativity and pace, especially chasing from the forwardline/ wing region.

I am not sure on Skipper either but we need a target at CHF. We need to give him a go for 4 weeks or so and see if he is up to it, personally I doubt it, but its no use having him on the list if we dont play him. I am reluctant to play McDougall as the sole tall target up forward, with Darcy out of form and needing to go back to Werribee Skipper is the logical choice to provide the back-up.

Dry Rot
05-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Agree that two tall targets make sense - most sides seem to agree.

GVGjr
05-06-2007, 01:05 PM

It's close to what I have done.

FB: McMahon - Morris - Hargrave
HB: Griffen - Harris - Gilbee
C: Ray - West - Giansiracusa
HF: Hahn - McDougall - Eagleton
FF: Akermanis - Johnson - Higgins
RK: Street - Cross - Cooney

Int: Boyd - Minson - Williams - Addison

Ins: Ray - McDougall - Minson - Williams
Outs: Darcy - Power - Robbins - Wight

I would look at using Hargrave as a forward with Williams slotting into defence.
I was reluctant to consider Murphy before the break.

bornadog
05-06-2007, 01:10 PM

I would look at using Hargrave as a forward with Williams slotting into defence.

I like your team, but I believe Murphy will play this week, which means you would have to make a change. I can't see Eade bringing in three talls to replace two talls, which means maybe Williams misses for Murphy.

Mantis
05-06-2007, 01:29 PM

I think Murf will play, been 4 weeks since the injury so he should be ok. I resisted the temptation to bring Ray straight back, what will one week at the VFL level do for him, but I dont think he should have been dropped anyway so it makes sense.

I hope that the players use McxDougall, from what I have seen of him he presents well. Alot of our players seem to pick and choose who they kick to, lets hope they give him the pill.

I would like to see Everitt play, from the little of have seen of him I have been impressed. He looks good and the quicker he is introduced the better it will be for his development.

dog town
05-06-2007, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't be making 5 or 6 changes as some people have suggested. I would probably look at getting in McDougall, Harbrow/Ray and possibly Everitt. Murphy will obviously come in as well. Probably 4 at the absolute max as I think anything more can be counter productive. I want Minson to string 2 or 3 of those games together at Werribee before he comes back.

Would look at giving Addison a full game at Werribee and also send Robbins back until he is desperate again. He will kick goals at Werribee based on talent alone but we need those defensive efforts back. Power and perhaps Wight would also be in the firing line. Got alot of faith in Darcy and he is a competitive bloke so happy to stick with him. He will fire up this week but if he doesn't I am happy to persist. The poor bloke has just come off two knee ops so we should cut him some slack.

Suprised that Hahn has been mentioned. Thought his come back had gone very smoothly before the weekend.

Go_Dogs
06-06-2007, 09:37 AM
I'd certainly be prepared to make up to 5 changes;

Morris, Harris, McMahon
Gilbee, Hargrave, Everitt
Griffen, West, Akermanis
Giansiracusa, Murphy, Boyd
Higgins, Johnson, McDougall
Street, Cross, Cooney
Harbrow, Eagleton, Darcy, Williams

Everitt to play a more flanker role that KP, Hargrave to play forward bit, Aker and Griff to play wings, because we need more gut running. McDougall deep forward working out towards the 50m arch, Williams to play back to allow Hargy to go forward, and Harbrow to add some more spice and excitement up forward. Eagleton, Darcy would be ok off the bench, Eagle adding to our run, and Darcy able to rotate through the ruck, and possibly spend a bit of time up foward. Minson was unlucky, and if he were to come in, I think it would be in place of Street (A lot will probably disagree, but that's the way I would see it).

Quite possibly Hahn and Addison could both still play though, in which case Harbrow and Williams would probably miss from my outfit.

LostDoggy
06-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Is one week enough penance for Ray? I'd give him another week at Werribee and see how he takes it.
I don't think replacing an outside player for another is what we need.

I'm prepared to go an extra tall this week. No sure about Minson, Street and Darcy in the same side. Only 2 of those. Wight might be given a rest and if so Williams to come in. A tall forward is the required if Darcy is dropped one of McDougal or Skipper

I agree with 3 to 4 changes max.

mjp
06-06-2007, 05:00 PM
I can't see any point whatsoever in dropping Farren for a week. I believe the reasons he was dropped for would have been related to things that a week in the VFL as a 'kick in the pants' would not have solved - he really needs to play some good, consistent footy with Werribee and come back to the team 'in form' in 2 or 3 weeks.

McDougall and Harbrow need to play. I still think that all the talk of McDougall playing at CHF or FF at AFL level is premature. His role should be to sit in a pocket down in the forward line, and provide the secondary leading option that Robbins has been doing. Harbrow is a true crumber - he needs to come in and play that role. Plus, he is a Queensland kid, would be excited to get up there with his family around him etc etc.

The other in should be (must be?) Everitt. First round pick, beautiful kick, good pace...in he comes to play across half-back. Gilbee and Hargrave take turns rotating through the wing/hff with one simple instruction: provide an extra target for players coming off half back, and RUN.

That means I need 3 outs I guess.

- McDougall to replace either Robbins or Hahn. These two guys are both playing as permanent forwards and have done so in the last two (poor) losses. It is no secret where I think Robbo is at, but I know he has supporters.

- Everitt in for Power. Straight swap - one utility runner for another. Sam had one job on the weekend - stop Lappin in the 3rd quarter after Jordy couldn't. He couldn't either - and was outmarked playing from behind when a quick scrambly kick came in. Not good enough, and not something an experienced player should allow to happen. I didn't think he was our worst by the way - just dont think he is helping us move forward at the moment.

- Harbrow in for Addison. He is hard at it Dylan - but is almost devoid of tricks. When he had his kick smothered on the boundary vs Carlton it showed such a lack of awareness/vision/appreciation of the game...anyway. The kid has a crack, but just needs to play more footy at VFL level - and I am thinking months, not weeks - and really get hold of the ball before he comes back. Keep in mind, he has come from a division 2 state straight to senior footy - the change in class is huge. With his workrate he will get there eventually.

bornadog
06-06-2007, 10:02 PM
he is a Queensland kid, would be excited to get up there with his family around him etc etc.

Actually Harbrow is from Moroopna, but his family moved up to Cairns, he came back to develop his football.

I agree with your team in general. What about the rucks? With all the talk about Darcy, would you leave him in?

Dry Rot
06-06-2007, 11:05 PM
I can't see any point whatsoever in dropping Farren for a week. I believe the reasons he was dropped for would have been related to things that a week in the VFL as a 'kick in the pants' would not have solved - he really needs to play some good, consistent footy with Werribee and come back to the team 'in form' in 2 or 3 weeks.

McDougall and Harbrow need to play. I still think that all the talk of McDougall playing at CHF or FF at AFL level is premature. His role should be to sit in a pocket down in the forward line, and provide the secondary leading option that Robbins has been doing. Harbrow is a true crumber - he needs to come in and play that role. Plus, he is a Queensland kid, would be excited to get up there with his family around him etc etc.

The other in should be (must be?) Everitt. First round pick, beautiful kick, good pace...in he comes to play across half-back. Gilbee and Hargrave take turns rotating through the wing/hff with one simple instruction: provide an extra target for players coming off half back, and RUN.

That means I need 3 outs I guess.

- McDougall to replace either Robbins or Hahn. These two guys are both playing as permanent forwards and have done so in the last two (poor) losses. It is no secret where I think Robbo is at, but I know he has supporters.

- Everitt in for Power. Straight swap - one utility runner for another. Sam had one job on the weekend - stop Lappin in the 3rd quarter after Jordy couldn't. He couldn't either - and was outmarked playing from behind when a quick scrambly kick came in. Not good enough, and not something an experienced player should allow to happen. I didn't think he was our worst by the way - just dont think he is helping us move forward at the moment.

- Harbrow in for Addison. He is hard at it Dylan - but is almost devoid of tricks. When he had his kick smothered on the boundary vs Carlton it showed such a lack of awareness/vision/appreciation of the game...anyway. The kid has a crack, but just needs to play more footy at VFL level - and I am thinking months, not weeks - and really get hold of the ball before he comes back. Keep in mind, he has come from a division 2 state straight to senior footy - the change in class is huge. With his workrate he will get there eventually.

Good post, unlike the hysteria elsewhere.

One query - shouldn't both Robbins and Hahn go? Neither are effective defensively these days, and offer little offensively against good sides these days.

Dry Rot
06-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Actually Harbrow is from Moroopna, but his family moved up to Cairns, he came back to develop his football.

I agree with your team in general. What about the rucks? With all the talk about Darcy, would you leave him in?

Surely Minson needs to show his stuff for a few weeks? Or is he worth a shot?

Would Darcy deserve a spot if he wasn't "Darcy"?

mjp
07-06-2007, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the info on Harbrow. I know the GM of the Cairns league, and he claims Harbrow as a 'local' - actually game down to watch him play for the Bushies vs Jets last year (and he was woeful as an aside).

With the rucks, I think Minson needs to 'prove it' for more than one week. I am not a huge supporter of Street - and believe that the fact the crowd gets excited when he does something other than win a tap-out with even a modicum of competency is an inditement - but he has performed better at AFL level than Minson so far this year.

Darcy has looked terrible, but surely that was what we expected? He just needs to play, and given we are playing a side we should beat, perhaps this week is a chance for him to actually get a couple of kicks.

Eade has stated that Murphy will play. This worries me - he is coming off a knee and tore his hamstring in his last game that followed a plane-ride. I would wait till next week in a 'better safe than sorry' approach. There is no doubt that sitting around airports/on planes tightens hammies - if it was in Canberra, or even Sydney, I might play him. Brisbane? Nope.

As for leaving out both Hahn and Robbins - I guess that is an option. I have already changed the forward with Doogs and Harbrow coming in, plus Shaggy/Gilbee playing further up - it is just too much change to sack them all. To be honest, I actually think Mitch's best spot might be as a full-forward, but that is a story for another day.

bornadog
07-06-2007, 09:40 AM
There is no doubt that sitting around airports/on planes tightens hammies - if it was in Canberra, or even Sydney, I might play him. Brisbane? Nope.

Trouble is after the Brisbane game we are in Darwin, then there is a break. Would you leave Murphy out that long to make sure he is ok for the run home? Could make sense come to think of it.

I also see in the Age today, that Chris put his hand up to play senior footy this week, but Eade commented that he is to start off in the Bees.

Mantis
07-06-2007, 10:14 AM
As for leaving out both Hahn and Robbins - I guess that is an option. I have already changed the forward with Doogs and Harbrow coming in, plus Shaggy/Gilbee playing further up - it is just too much change to sack them all. To be honest, I actually think Mitch's best spot might be as a full-forward, but that is a story for another day.

Is Harbrow available for selection, with Grant returning from his injury does Jarrod go back onto the rookie list? There has been a fair bit of speculation regarding what the club did with Monty.ie. Long term injury list, but I haven't heard a definitive answer on this.

bornadog
07-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Is Harbrow available for selection, with Grant returning from his injury does Jarrod go back onto the rookie list? There has been a fair bit of speculation regarding what the club did with Monty.ie. Long term injury list, but I haven't heard a definitive answer on this.

Yes, In was wondering the same thing. I even sent an email to the club on "ask the coach" but no answer. If the club didn't play the Monty thing right they are really stupid to let the opportunity go.

Raw Toast
07-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Good discussion.

I agree that Harbrow needs to come in. I'd have him in for Robbins (and ahead of a few others as well). While Harbrow didn't dominate for the bees this time, he did quite a few nice team things as Sockeye mentioned, and set up a few goals. Not only does Robbins need to get his defensive pressure up, he needs to mark with his hands out in front of him. He can do this and should work up the confidence to be able to hold onto them again.

I'd also drop Power and Addison and bring in Doogs and Murphy. I understand the concern re Murph's hamstring but it sounds like he was v close to playing last week and I think not playing him until after the break might be counter-productive. And while Doogs monstered someone playing only their fourth game or so, he did show good signs and deserves a chance.

I actually thought Power offered us more against the Blues than Addison did. Addison's mistake on the wing was poor as he clearly chose not to give to the first option inside. And as someone said on bf, he could have been pinged for three frees against Murphy at a time which was obviously crucial. Agree that Power's contest against Lappin was poor, but he did prety well on Murphy from what I saw. Really needed to kick that goal on half-time though and still obviously dealing with confidence issues.

I'd also bring in Everitt for Wight. Like Wight's efforts but I want him to work on his disposal and get his confidence back up.

I'd also like to see Minson and Ray play consistently well for the Bees. Great to see Minson taking some big contested marks - I still think he's got potential to make this a strength, so if he can develop it as Werribee that's a good thing.

Think Higgins might also be in the gun - love watching him play but obviously has some work to do in getting more of it and defensive pressure. Also think he might benefit at some stage from playing close to a full game.

GVGjr
07-06-2007, 04:08 PM
There seems to be a bit of a consensus that a one week trip to Werribee isn't sufficient to be returned back into the senior team. I see the merit in that idea but I would have thought with the team performing poorly last week (and the week before that) if the players are in form they should be considered. I went to the game and thought Ray's attitude and work rate was excellent and given Power is out of form he seems to be a logical replacement. Minson or McDougall for Darcy also makes some sense.

Thoughts?

dog town
07-06-2007, 04:25 PM
I agree with the general consensus that Harbrow should come back in. He was incredibly stiff to find himself back at Werribee in the first place as far as I am concerned. We have lost a bit of the run and flair that has been our meal ticket and Harbrow instinctively breaks lines and takes people on so he is the logical inclusion. Should give us plenty of spark around half forward on big ground like that.

As I said erlier I feel people are being a little harsh on Mitch Hahn. He has played one poor game in his 3 since coming back and that is a very good effort coming off the injury he had. Just needs some miles in the legs.

Sometimes you just get a feel for where a player is at and my gut tells me Minson needs to string 3 or 4 games together of a similar standard to his last Werribee game before he comes back. He was probably given full time ruck duties with us before he was ready and has missed out on a bit of development. Could be a similar situation for Ray who needs to learn how to get himself up week after week but we could also do with his running power so that one is a line ball for mine.

mjp
07-06-2007, 04:54 PM
There seems to be a bit of a consensus that a one week trip to Werribee isn't sufficient to be returned back into the senior team. I see the merit in that idea but I would have thought with the team performing poorly last week (and the week before that) if the players are in form they should be considered. I went to the game and thought Ray's attitude and work rate was excellent and given Power is out of form he seems to be a logical replacement. Minson or McDougall for Darcy also makes some sense.

Thoughts?

It depends on the reasons why they were dropped. I would have said that the reasons Ray was dropped were to do more with some long term issues that the coaches had been trying to fix for a few weeks - in the end, they decided that demotion was the only way to move forward. These things are not fixed by one week in the 2's...unless of course, he was simply left out due to 'team balance' or something - and I dont think anyone believes that to be true.

Anyone has the ability to turn their form around for a short-time (think about Mark Waugh making 100's) but sustained improvement only comes from hard work. I cant see how Ray could have ticked all the boxes he needed too in one week.

bornadog
07-06-2007, 05:43 PM
OFFICIAL

In: Harbrow, Murphy, Ray, Williams

Out: McMahon, Power, Robbins, Wight

mjp
07-06-2007, 05:49 PM
OFFICIAL

In: Harbrow, Murphy, Ray, Williams

Out: McMahon, Power, Robbins, Wight

Just goes to show what I know - NOTHING!!!

bornadog
07-06-2007, 05:55 PM

I didn't think they would drop Wight and I expected either Skipper or McDougall to come in instead of Harbrow. Lets hope they fire up. It will be great to see how Williams does.

Dry Rot
07-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Williams ahead of McDougall and even Everritt is a tad curious, IMO.

Looks like we have no forward line again this week.

Is McMahon injured?

southerncross
07-06-2007, 06:30 PM

I thought Ray should be included because he really on had one bad week (straight after an average one though). He now needs to perform. Williams is a good inclusion because he can match-up against the Lions ruckman if they roam forward like the did in the pre season competition.
Harbrow I'm not as convinced about but it's not like his form is an issue so he will go OK and Murphy was obviously more advanced that I thought.

Shame for McDougall but I suppose it's now confirms that Eade is very unlikely to play two key forwards (if one of them is Darcy)

Typical balanced Eade approach to problem solving, we have rung the changes without ringing the alarm bells and he has given some players another week to prove themselves.

southerncross
07-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Williams ahead of McDougall and even Everritt is a tad curious, IMO.

Looks like we have no forward line again this week.

Is McMahon injured?

Regarding McMahon, on SEN they didn't indicate that it was an injury concern although it is likely.

Re Williams, it's really to replace Wight as a tall defensive option which he was most suited to do. Everitt will play but he is not ready yet to play on bigger opponents.

McDougall was just stiff as far as I am concerned.

Dry Rot
07-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Shame for McDougall but I suppose it's now confirms that Eade is very unlikely to play two key forwards (if one of them is Darcy)

Bizarre - most other sides do.

I'm beginning to think that we are a better side with Grant and without Darcy, or even just without Darcy.

I suspect that Darcy's return and poor form is really giving Eade a big headache - IMO if he was anyone else he would have been dropped.

bornadog
07-06-2007, 07:15 PM

Is McMahon injured?

I believe McMahon shouldn't have played last week as he thought he was ok, told the coaching staff he was, but during the first quarter realized he wasn't. Eade was not happy.

dog town
07-06-2007, 08:08 PM
I would be staggered if Jordy has been legitimately dropped. He has had a couple of bad games during this little patch where he has been injured but he was arguably our best player in the first 5 rounds. IMO he is our best line breaking runner and at the moment we are struggling mainly due to our lack of run so from that point of view it just doesn't make sense. Not sure where the extra run is going to come from now especially with Addison surviving. I wonder if we might see a couple of shocks with maybe Aker or Murphy starting behind the ball in defence?

Williams wil probably be asked to play on Clark or Patfull at some stage so that should be interesting.

Could be a tad stretched for forward options this week if Johnson gets shut down. Murphy is coming back from injury and Hahn struggled a bit last week then you Darcy who is the only relief option for Street. A late change is not out of the question and all 3 emergencies are talls.

Dry Rot
07-06-2007, 10:27 PM
I would be staggered if Jordy has been legitimately dropped. He has had a couple of bad games during this little patch where he has been injured but he was arguably our best player in the first 5 rounds. IMO he is our best line breaking runner and at the moment we are struggling mainly due to our lack of run so from that point of view it just doesn't make sense. Not sure where the extra run is going to come from now especially with Addison surviving. I wonder if we might see a couple of shocks with maybe Aker or Murphy starting behind the ball in defence?

I thought Addison might survive - suspect eade might have a soft spot for his courage.

Williams wil probably be asked to play on Clark or Patfull at some stage so that should be interesting.

Well I suppose we might as well start to give him some time onfield - just hope he's there not the bench for most of the game.

Could be a tad stretched for forward options this week if Johnson gets shut down. Murphy is coming back from injury and Hahn struggled a bit last week then you Darcy who is the only relief option for Street. A late change is not out of the question and all 3 emergencies are talls.

Have you seen that before? Wonder if it is an Eade ruse, indicates a late change or it's just a mere coincidence?

southerncross
08-06-2007, 05:50 AM
Darcy survives Dog cull (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21868889%255E19775,00.html)

THE Western Bulldogs have dumped four players, including defender Jordan McMahon, for Saturday night's Gabba clash against the Brisbane Lions.

But out-of-form forward-ruckman Luke Darcy survived the cut.
The Bulldogs, after disappointing performances in the past two games, have regained some goalkicking power with the return of Robert Murphy from a hamstring injury.
Also demoted to Werribee were Sam Power, Matthew Robbins and Cameron Wight.
Veteran Chris Grant starts his comeback from injury after being named in a forward pocket for the Bulldogs' VFL affiliate side.
It's the first time he has played in a reserves team since Round 4 in 1993.
Midfielder Farren Ray, Tom Williams and Jarrod Harbrow have come back into the Bulldog line-up.
Big-name recruit Jason Akermanis will take on his old side for the first time since his controversial departure from Brisbane last season.
BRISBANE has been strengthened with the return of Ashley McGrath, Marcus Allan and Joel Macdonald, but have lost veteran Chris Johnson with a foot injury. Chris Schmidt and Scott Harding were dropped.

southerncross
08-06-2007, 05:52 AM
Bulldogs axe four as Eade reacts to loss (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/bulldogs-axe-four-as-eade-reacts-to-loss/2007/06/07/1181089236697.html)

JORDAN McMahon was dropped from the Western Bulldogs' side last night for tomorrow night's game in Brisbane, one of four omissions as coach Rodney Eade followed through with his threat last Sunday to wield the selection axe.
McMahon, Matthew Robbins, Sam Power and Cameron Wight all were dumped from the team that lost to Carlton last Sunday, the Bulldogs' third loss from five outings.
Robert Murphy, who has missed four games with a hamstring tear, and Farren Ray, Jarrod Harbrow and Tom Williams, all of whom showed good form for Werribee in the VFL, come back into the 22.
McMahon's axing is a clear message to the Bulldogs' senior group, several of whom were in the coach's sights after the lacklustre performance against the Blues, who had lost their previous six games, but pulled off one of the season's biggest upsets at the MCG.
Eade's comment after the Carlton loss, that "There are some players that we don't know if they are going to turn up; we don't know which player we are going to get," can be seen now as a barb aimed specifically at McMahon, who began the season in sensational form, but whose performance level and intensity has declined markedly over his past five games.
"His form has been down, and we needed to make changes," Eade put it succinctly last night. But despite the speculation over former skipper Luke Darcy's potential omission, the ruck veteran has been given another chance to produce.
"He was heavily discussed. I've spoken to Luke about that. He's very critical of himself, but his ruckwork was OK last week," Eade said. "His last couple haven't been great games stats-wise, but before that, he was starting to show some signs, so we're hopeful for his and our sake that he can make that upward curve this week."
Eade said Murphy, who was nearly selected last week, would play at least three quarters of tomorrow night's game despite his lack of match fitness, and that Ray, Harbrow and Williams would "bring some enthusiasm and energy into the team".
The Brisbane Lions have lost Chris Johnson with a foot injury, and dropped Scott Harding and Chris Schmidt. Into the team are Ashley McGrath, Marcus Allan and Joel Macdonald, although doubts persist over the fitness of McGrath, who has had a knee injury.

Mantis
08-06-2007, 09:04 AM
I asked for 2 tall forwards to be brought into team and get none in return. Very surprised in deed. Showing faith in a number of players, is that a good or bad thing? I just can't see the logic in playing a small forwardline week after week, anyway as mjp said what do we no - NOTHING!!

LostDoggy
08-06-2007, 10:03 AM
I asked for 2 tall forwards to be brought into team and get none in return. Very surprised in deed. Showing faith in a number of players, is that a good or bad thing? I just can't see the logic in playing a small forwardline week after week, anyway as mjp said what do we no - NOTHING!!

Darcy survived so there is one tall forward.
If Hahn and Murphy play to their early 06 levels then there is plenty of fire power.
I know thats 3 knee recon guys but they have the runs on board and deserve a chance.

Mantis
08-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Darcy survived so there is one tall forward.
If Hahn and Murphy play to their early 06 levels then there is plenty of fire power.
I know thats 3 knee recon guys but they have the runs on board and deserve a chance.

Darcy will play forward/ ruck almost 50/50. Street doesn't have the tank to play more than 10min at a time in the ruck. What happens then?

Im sick of the club giving guys chances on what they did in the past. Hahn didn't touch the ball in the 1st half last week and was just ok against Sydney. We need more form him and others.

GVGjr
08-06-2007, 01:19 PM
I agree that we needed to bring in the extra tall forward however, Eade seems very reluctant. In the past he has argued that it's better to have an inform small than a out of form tall. That is typical sound Eade logic however, McDougall was named against the Swans but was a late withdrawal and then starred last week with the Bees and yet cannot force his way into the team. I think Eade prefers the smaller line-up which forces the midfield to pinpoint their passes into the forward line rather than just bombing it long.

Dry Rot
08-06-2007, 03:16 PM
I think Eade prefers the smaller line-up which forces the midfield to pinpoint their passes into the forward line rather than just bombing it long.

That's a pity because it simply won't work against the top sides.

What's wrong with pinpoint passes to talls?

Hate to say it, but I think an out of form Darcy is buggering this all up.

GVGjr
08-06-2007, 03:31 PM
That's a pity because it simply won't work against the top sides.

What's wrong with pinpoint passes to talls?

I think he has a belief that the taller forwards are more static. The small blokes have to lead and work harder to beat their opponent.

dog town
08-06-2007, 05:53 PM
I thought Addison might survive - suspect eade might have a soft spot for his courage.

I have no doubt that he does but he needs to bring the rest of his game up to match his courage. It's a common thing to have a guy who doesn't flinch with the hard stuff but doesn't run to the right spots or make good decisions. Sometimes you can teach them and sometimes you cant. I think he might get a tagging role or something because otherwise we would have been better off bringing in a guy who can offer us something attacking in what is a crunch game.

I

Well I suppose we might as well start to give him some time onfield - just hope he's there not the bench for most of the game.

?Well if the team is as selected then Eade has forced himself to give Williams game time because we dont have a heap of height.

Go_Dogs
09-06-2007, 11:58 AM
it appears as though McMahon is playing B's this weekend? I thought he was injured. Seems very odd that he was left out given that he is still playing this weekend?

GVGjr
09-06-2007, 12:42 PM
it appears as though McMahon is playing B's this weekend? I thought he was injured. Seems very odd that he was left out given that he is still playing this weekend?

Nah he was dropped. I think there is a bit more to this than just one bad week.

Go_Dogs
09-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Care to elaborate if you can?

bornadog
09-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Care to elaborate if you can?

Just watched him on TV playing for the BEES, played well, moved freely so very strange he was dropped, I thought there were worse players than him last week.

Dry Rot
09-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Will Wight be playing tonight? If so, who is out?