PDA

View Full Version : Trying to pick the game of the year

The Adelaide Connection
05-02-2010, 12:24 AM
Ok guys I have a huge dilemna and thought I would throw it up to discussion. I know it is early days and I am definitely touching wood, but I am looking to come over for the finals again this year, have got a trip to Singapore planned, am probably going over for the Canberra game and heading to Melbourne another weekend for a Wilco gig. Therefore the coin is rapidly flying out the window and I am going to try to limit my minor round Melbourne trips to maybe 2 or 3, but which games should I choose?

Round 1 is probably going to be a choice for all (Johnno's 350, Halls 1st and first game etc) but if you could get to only 3 minor round games in Melbourne this year, which games would you go to and why?

The Coon Dog
05-02-2010, 04:08 AM
For me it would be all over by round 6. I go rounds 1, 5 & 6.

Round 1 - Collingwood - Sun 28 March - Johnno's 350th, huge crowd, 2 good sides.

Round 5 - Adelaide - Fri 23 April - Should be a really good game against a team who play the ground well as well as the obvious for you.

Round 6 - St.Kilda -Fri 30 April - Major interest in this clash of potential top 4 teams. Winning won't ease the pain of the Prelim, but it won't hurt either.

dogman
05-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Jumping the gun a bit but the prelimenary final, must win this year.

GVGjr
05-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Any game against the Cats would be a big chance. Always close and a great contest.

Go_Dogs
05-02-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm trying to organise to come over for Rd 1. Should be a cracker.

As GVGjr says, the Geelong games are always rippers. Beating them towards the end of 09 at a full house was one of the highlights for me.

The Underdog
05-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Rd. 1's a gimme, but 3 aside from that I'd say

Rd.12 vs Brisbane at Docklands
Why? Because the Fev and Brown show should be either solidly working by then or a dysfunctional mess. Either way it's got to be entertaining.

Rd.15 vs Hawthorn at MCG
Why? Because anyone still scarred by the last time we played Hawthorn at the G on a Friday night wants neverending retribution.

Rd.20 vs Geelong at Docklands
Why? Because you know that this game is going to mean something. Plus as mentioned above, games against Geelong are usually pretty good.

The Adelaide Connection
05-02-2010, 12:52 PM
A very good call on Geelong. Win, lose or draw our recent history has been for close, epic encounters.
I have been umming and ahhhing about the saints game. It is a bit of a pain getting to the Friday night games anyway (flights tend to get in around 7pm) and despite beating them twice in '08 I still have a mental hangup that they are our bogey team and am never very confident. The first two games I saw last year were the saints and the Carlton game and it makes for a pretty awful flight home. I think we certainly have the cattle to beat them this year but I still might steer clear of this one.

ledge
05-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Book yourself in for round one then see how the other teams are going before you choose other games, I would myself take one near the end of the season and one in the middle, just to keep the apetite, and not such a long wait between games.

Bulldog Revolution
05-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Beating them towards the end of 09 at a full house was one of the highlights for me.

That was a great game, and the one where Johnson missed after the siren was an absolutely cracking game of footy

The Adelaide Connection
05-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Book yourself in for round one then see how the other teams are going before you choose other games, I would myself take one near the end of the season and one in the middle, just to keep the apetite, and not such a long wait between games.

Yeah round 1 is a certainty but I think I will book the other few in the next few weeks. Unfortunately the longer you leave it means airfares really blow out, so the wait and see method can be expensive.

chef
05-02-2010, 05:24 PM
When do tickets go on sale for round 1?

Dogs 24/7
05-02-2010, 05:51 PM
I think games against the Crows are brilliant spectacles. Both coaches do a lot to unravel each other and it's often the game within a great game.