PDA

View Full Version : Eade under pressure now, IMO

Dry Rot
04-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Or he should be. No pressure in 2005, made the finals in 2006 and now this.

Same old problems present, no real improvement. Are we really any better than end 2005?

Will he have the balls to drop senior players? Can he change our game plan?

GVGjr
04-06-2007, 03:07 PM

Same old problems present, no real improvement. Are we really any better than end 2005?

I will answer this with more detail later but I think our running game plan has been cracked by all the other teams. Last year we scored a number of goals from our kick ins and we often went coast to coast. It doesn't happen much now.

I'd also question if the game plan is sustainable which might explain why we rarely play 4 quarters of good footy..

The only pressure Eade will be under is to find a remedy for the performances. I can't see him dropping too many of the experienced crew but he will certainly drop at lease one of them. At a guess it might be Darcy

Mantis
04-06-2007, 03:16 PM

How many coaches do we have to go through to change the culture of the place. We are playing the same "unaccountable " footy we have for years. Each new coach comes along and fails miserably in trying to make us a tougher/ harder unit.

We have recruited far too many running players so what we get is a running team, simple as that. Our list management is terrible, we have too many 'receiving' types on the list and our 'tough nuts' all play unaccountable football.

Tough decisions have to be made on the future of several senior players, I cannot see us going any further with many of our more senior types. Many of these are still very good players, but play as individuals and put there own personal game ahead of the teams. They can't change there ways and the example they set for our younger players is nothing less than appalling.

What do we do, sack another coach because he cant make us play the type of footy we need to play to be successful. I think the players need to be blamed for this one and they are the ones who have to be moved on.

Dry Rot
04-06-2007, 03:47 PM
A related question:

Did Eade come to the Dogs with a running style philosophy and simply implemented it

OR

Did Eade come to the Dogs with a far more accountable Swans style plan, looked at the players he had and then decided to go for a running style of play?

Mantis
04-06-2007, 04:07 PM
A related question:

Did Eade come to the Dogs with a running style philosophy and simply implemented it

OR

Did Eade come to the Dogs with a far more accountable Swans style plan, looked at the players he had and then decided to go for a running style of play?

Option 2..

Go_Dogs
04-06-2007, 04:28 PM
GVGjr - when you use the word sustainable talking about our game plan, do you mean that the work rate required to consistently implement our game plan is unsustainable, or that the actual game plan itself is one which has already been figured out by all and sundry, and won't serve us with much success in the future?

In relation to your question DR - I think Eade came here with the idea for speed, he saw the potential in our game plan, saw the running ability and the skill, but I'm pretty sure that he also wanted to create a speed-based game plan that's very difficult to counter. For what it's worth, I'd like to see him implement a more accountable style of play, but with no real key forward it's difficult to put scoreboard pressure on playing 'accountable' footy. Some tough questions. I'm sure the coaching staff are feeling the heat.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-06-2007, 06:10 PM

DR I for sure Eade is under pressure... but I think the players have to cop it.. not Eade

Based on 05 and 06 improvements Eade had every right to expect that they would continue to improve this year. He has tried to show faith in the playing group which is what you would expect, and demand from a coach trying to build a strong side.

He is now for sure feeling some heat in terms of getting the players to respond and get their confidence back. Rather than showing no improvement, I think it's more a case of those who had shown marked improvement since Eade took over, have now reverted to pre Eade type under pressure. And I think Eade has admitted as much in his after match press conference.

I think Eade is now ready to make some changes, but realistically apart from Williams, McDougall Minson and Everitt, and they're all talls. It is many of the running players in our side who for mine are the unacountable ones not sticking to team plans.

There aren't too many in the Bees of this type who are in a position to challenge. Harbrow will be going back to the Rookie list in a week, so he's out. Lynch, Stack and Hill look physically not ready to step in and make a difference. And McCormack is injured and hasn't shown much to date either.

I also think that many have overestimated where we are at as a club, including me. Perhaps we've been a little to ready to accept the media hype and have not really been listening to Eade's comments were he has said we are a work in progress and still have a way to go if we want to challenge.

Many on Big Footy are trying to direct their frustration on Eade and it riles me. He is in only his 3rd year of trying to turn a side that was at it's absolute nadir when he took over. Drafting policies of previous regimes had to some respects forced his hand in going to our style of play. We appear to be trying to address this with the drafting of Williams, Everitt, O'Shea, West and Pask as well as trading for McDougall. It is going to take some time... It makes no sense to radically overhaul the game plan until we have the cattle that can do it justice.

In the meantime it would make a huge difference if as Eade said yesterday he knew what he was going to get from week to week with a number of the players in his side. It's not enough for them to do it one week, then let us down the next.

Eade is to be admired in my opinion for trying to show faith in the players.. but he has a limit and it sounds to me as if yesterday's crap performance may force his hand.
It will be interesting to see who gets the chop this week.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-06-2007, 06:26 PM
A related question:

OR

I think Option B, DR I recall Eade last year when being questioned about our lack of height responding by saying it's no good just putting talls in just for the sake of it, they ahve to be quality talls. It's no secret the talls that we have drafted have had horrendous injuries that have stymied their development, plus long term injuries to established talls in Darcy. All these things have to some degree i think prevented Eade from implementing a different strategy.

GVGjr
04-06-2007, 07:53 PM
GVGjr - when you use the word sustainable talking about our game plan, do you mean that the work rate required to consistently implement our game plan is unsustainable, or that the actual game plan itself is one which has already been figured out by all and sundry, and won't serve us with much success in the future?

I think other clubs have worked us out to some extent and the fact that we haven't been able to play 4 quarters of good footy really does place question mark of the viability of the run,run,run game plan. It has served us reasonably well against the lower ranked teams (when we played them) but against the better ones we have been well short of the mark.

It probably only needs some minor modifications but the fact that Eade talks about "One day Football", something that he talked about when he first got here, means that he hasn't addressed the area of accountability like he was supposed to.

Last year we exploited the quick kick-ins rule and scored a lot of coast- to-coast goals but this year we have been shut down. He needs to remedy this quickly.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-06-2007, 08:13 PM
I think other clubs have worked us out to some extent and the fact that we haven't been able to play 4 quarters of good footy really does place question mark of the viability of the run,run,run game plan. It has served us reasonably well against the lower ranked teams (when we played them) but against the better ones we have been well short of the mark.

It probably only needs some minor modifications but the fact that Eade talks about "One day Football", something that he talked about when he first got here, means that he hasn't addressed the area of accountability like he was supposed to.
Last year we exploited the quick kick-ins rule and scored a lot of coast- to-coast goals but this year we have been shut down. He needs to remedy this quickly.

I think the issue is more not that he hasn't addressed it.. but maybe those that he expected to address it are not pulling their weight or following instructions. I think he has tried to show faith and give them confidence for a sustained period of time.. but that faith may be starting to dissolve and his patience wearing thin, hence why he is suggesting soem changes may be in order, even going so far as to specifically mention Williams and Everitt as ones pressing for selection. I think this means Wight might come under heavy scrutiny.

dog town
04-06-2007, 08:33 PM
We have recruited far too many running players so what we get is a running team, simple as that. Our list management is terrible, we have too many 'receiving' types on the list and our 'tough nuts' all play unaccountable football.

. I actually think we need more runners. The depth in our running department is not what it should be.

bornadog
04-06-2007, 09:17 PM
I actually think we need more runners. The depth in our running department is not what it should be.

I agree, with Griffen and McMahon not running, we have seen the bulldog run slow down so to speak. No one stepped up to take their spots.

westdog54
04-06-2007, 10:50 PM

I remember him saying last year that he didn't like being known as a good 'match-day coach' as it implies being unprepared.

Well from where I was sitting on Sunday he was too slow to make a lot of moves.

Lappin was allowed to run riot in the 3rd quarter, yet McMahon stayed on him until he was replaced by, wait for it, Sam Power. Why not Gilbee, who's probably our second-most improved defender behind Harris? When Gilbee went to him he did bugger all after that.

And why was Street on the bench for the vast majority of the third quarter? We were getting smashed in the middle and Cameron Wight went into the ruck?

As much as our fortunes have improved under Rocket he's struggled on Match-day of late.

Mantis
05-06-2007, 08:15 AM
I agree, with Griffen and McMahon not running, we have seen the bulldog run slow down so to speak. No one stepped up to take their spots.

Thats probably right, but we have a few receiving types with no genuine speed, Gia, Boyd are far from being quick players. Eagleton has slowed a bit too.