PDA

View Full Version : Coaches under the pump?

GVGjr
12-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Which of the current coaches would need their sides to get off to reasonable starts to make sure the rumor mills and the media don't crucify them much like what happened to Terry Wallace?

The two that spring to mind are:

Mark Williams - despite signing another contract (reduced) surely Choco doesn't have a lot of credits still in the bank especially given his relationship with the Port board. Perhaps the financial crisis might be a blessing for him.

Mark Harvey - Fremantle surely could not afford to get off to a disappointing start and keep Harvey in the chair. Their list is far better than their on field performances so I can't see how Harvey could survive a slow start.

Any others?

The Coon Dog
12-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Brett Ratten. Many Carlton fans have him in the gun after losing that final to Brisbane last year where they felt he failed to respond to Brisbane's midfield ascendancy.

Dean Bailey wouldn't want to be 0 & 7 either.

AndrewP6
12-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Agree with Choco, Harvey and Bailey. Reckon at least one will go before the halfway mark of the season.

Sockeye Salmon
12-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Mark Williams - despite signing another contract (reduced) surely Choco doesn't have a lot of credits still in the bank especially given his relationship with the Port board. Perhaps the financial crisis might be a blessing for him.

I don't understand his re-appointment at all.

They can't afford to sack him, they lost another $2.6mil again this year, but then they have Dean Laidley sitting behind him holding one of those old fashioned style straps that they used to use to sharpen knives.

chef
13-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Malthouse wouldn't want to go off to a bad start either, as we know anything to do with Collingwood is over exaggerated in the media and with Buckley waiting in the wings.

Go_Dogs
13-02-2010, 11:32 AM
I don't understand his re-appointment at all.

They can't afford to sack him, they lost another $2.6mil again this year, but then they have Dean Laidley sitting behind him holding one of those old fashioned style straps that they used to use to sharpen knives.

I think they have thrown a lot of money and support behind Williams to allow him to re-build his coaching and development group.

He's a pretty good coach imo, but I think their middle aged players are shakey at best. Their recruiting has improved a lot over the past few years, but I think they'll struggle again, mainly because of the quality of the cattle.

GVGjr
13-02-2010, 01:12 PM
I think they have thrown a lot of money and support behind Williams to allow him to re-build his coaching and development group.

He's a pretty good coach imo, but I think their middle aged players are shakey at best. Their recruiting has improved a lot over the past few years, but I think they'll struggle again, mainly because of the quality of the cattle.

I agree that he is a very good coach but I don't think he was a good re-appointment for them because a premiership coach must be accountable for the state of his playing list and the performances on the field.
The list hasn't shaped up and I think they have missed a great chance to move him on especially given his uneasy relationship with the board.

Bulldog Revolution
13-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Mark Harvey - Fremantle surely could not afford to get off to a disappointing start and keep Harvey in the chair. Their list is far better than their on field performances so I can't see how Harvey could survive a slow start.

Can Freo get less relevant in 2010. I don't know anyone who thinks Harvey is a good coach. I wonder what the Freo players think.

I thought they unearthed some good kids in 09, but it seems to be the best they ever do, and signing McPhee to a 3 year deal seemed ridiculous to me. Sure he might help sell a few men for all seasons calenders, but is he actually much use on the field?

Hard to see how they are building, and personally I don't think Harvey is the man for a re-building project.

Go_Dogs
13-02-2010, 05:13 PM
I agree that he is a very good coach but I don't think he was a good re-appointment for them because a premiership coach must be accountable for the state of his playing list and the performances on the field.
The list hasn't shaped up and I think they have missed a great chance to move him on especially given his uneasy relationship with the board.

True, but I think they have the younger players there now.

With Hocking and Laidely on board they really should be able to quickly develop a bunch of players such as Boak, Gray, Hartlett, Krakouer, Trengove, Broadbent, Moore and a few others who are all quality kids who'll improve their side.

If Williams isn't re-appointed again in a few years time, someone is going to inherit a very good list I feel.

anfo27
13-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Brett Ratten. Many Carlton fans have him in the gun after losing that final to Brisbane last year where they felt he failed to respond to Brisbane's midfield ascendancy.

Dean Bailey wouldn't want to be 0 & 7 either.

I pray that he stays at Carlton for as long as possible, the longer he is there the longer they will not do anything.

Topdog
14-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Can Freo get less relevant in 2010. I don't know anyone who thinks Harvey is a good coach. I wonder what the Freo players think.

I thought they unearthed some good kids in 09, but it seems to be the best they ever do, and signing McPhee to a 3 year deal seemed ridiculous to me. Sure he might help sell a few men for all seasons calenders, but is he actually much use on the field?

Hard to see how they are building, and personally I don't think Harvey is the man for a re-building project.

I must be out of my mind but I actually think Freo will do quite well this year and get around 9-10 wins.

Swoop
14-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Slightly off topic but with regards to Freo I feel sorry for Pavlich more than anyone, it's a shame we haven't seen him get to perform in a big game final.

I have heard feedback from a friend who attended a coaching course with Harvey a few years ago while at Essendon and they didn't come out of it thinking very highly of him or his knowledge of the game. Having said that I have heard lots of players refer to him and his time at Essendon as being a big influence in their careers, something about him doesn't inspire confidence but that's purely perception.

LostDoggy
14-02-2010, 01:50 PM
I must be out of my mind but I actually think Freo will do quite well this year and get around 9-10 wins.

Even 9-10 won't get them finals which I believe would Harvey under extra pressure

Twodogs
15-02-2010, 10:43 AM

Agree strongly. I reckon that Ratten's a dud.

Twodogs
15-02-2010, 10:45 AM
they have Dean Laidley sitting behind him holding one of those old fashioned style straps that they used to use to sharpen knives.

The leather straps are called strops and you hone knives, not sharpen them.

mjp
16-02-2010, 01:38 AM
I have heard feedback from a friend who attended a coaching course with Harvey a few years ago while at Essendon and they didn't come out of it thinking very highly of him or his knowledge of the game.

Maybe - but I couldn't figure out what Michael Voss was on about 2 short years ago and that seems to be turning out alright.

Freo also have Barry Mitchell and Dean Wallis who both seem to know what they are doing...we all know what Chris Bond is like and the high-regard in which he is held at our club - he is there too. They have poached Simon Lloyd from Collingwood and have more development coaches that can be imagined...and a raft of very high draft picks (who I admit are still young). And they have Pavlich.

They actually could be a bit of a handful this year.

Mofra
16-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Left field choice (and probably not this year) - Ross Lyon.

By all accounts he went against the wishes of the playing group by trading a first rounder for Lovett which has blown up in spectacular fashion - losing the playing group is poison for a coach. Wallace reportedly lost the playing group through trading as well at the Bulldogs (although that was trading out rather than in).

mjp
16-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Expectations are the key driver for being under the pump. Therefore:

Neil Craig
Mick Malthouse
Rodney Eade
Alistair Clarkson (though he has one in the bank)
Are the ones under the most pressure.

Mantis
16-02-2010, 07:03 PM

Neil Craig
Mick Malthouse
Rodney Eade

Using that theory (which I don't disagree with) wouldn't Ross Lyon be near the top of that list?

mjp
16-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Using that theory (which I don't disagree with) wouldn't Ross Lyon be near the top of that list?

Grand final last year? I think that buys some time.

Mantis
16-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Grand final last year? I think that buys some time.

For sure, but there would still be a fair amount of pressure on him to atleast maintain this position.

The Underdog
16-02-2010, 09:58 PM

Neil Craig
Mick Malthouse
Rodney Eade

Given Malthouse has a defined expiry date, does that take the pressure off, or add more?

LostDoggy
17-02-2010, 09:53 AM

Picked them for the surprise packet of the year, won't make the 8 but can do some damage to others (hopefully not us).

As ES has said though, 9-10 wins won't get them into the finals, but I suppose it depends on who they beat in those 9-10 games, and how they play the rest of the 22 games, if they beat everyone they're supposed to (Richmond, Melbourne, Essendon..) and only lose close games to the top contenders (Geelong etc.) Harvey may be seen to be 'developing' his list.

Ironically, if they beat a few clubs they aren't expected to but lost to the Richmonds, Melbournes etc. I think Harvey would be under more pressure to keep his job as the list would be seen as underperforming.