PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Giansiracusa among several candidates to eventually replace Brad Johnson

Mantis
13-02-2010, 09:20 AM
* Scott Gullan
* February 13, 2010 12:00AM

While a new-look Brisbane Lions side will take the field tomorrow, the Western Bulldogs will also reveal a pointer to their future direction in the NAB Cup opener.

Brendan Fevola will command much of the attention on debut as a Lion at Manuka Oval, but the identity of the player leading the Dogs out is just as intriguing.

Midfielder Daniel Giansiracusa has been given the captaincy for the first game of the year with regular skipper Brad Johnson in the stands because of an achilles injury.

While Johnson, 33, hasn't declared when he will draw the curtain on his record-breaking career, behind the scenes the jostling for his job has begun.

Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross and Shaun Higgins are being mentioned as possible leaders, but Giansiracusa's appointment for tomorrow's game is significant.

"It is something I aspire to be, to be a captain," Giansiracusa said.

Read the rest here (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gia-among-several-candidates-to-eventually-replace-johnno/story-e6frf9jf-1225829908286)

LostDoggy
13-02-2010, 10:40 AM
I would be happy with Gia as captain & i think it would improve his game even more, having that extra responsibility.

Old Dog
13-02-2010, 12:43 PM
We may not all agree with this but I've read a number of times that Gia has a strong interest in tactics used training methodology and in coaching in the future! I hope this is true .
This set of skills/interests sets him up well for the senior leaders role with our club.
He appears to carry himself well appears well respected within the playing group (Bit of a guess this) and also seems to have got over the physical problems he has carried the past couple of years.
Captaincy , in my view, sits well with him and the club. Good one Gia!

angelopetraglia
13-02-2010, 01:41 PM
He looks in terrific condition at the moment. Hopefully he can have a huge season and put himself in a good position to take over from Johnson.

BulldogBelle
13-02-2010, 03:54 PM
I tend to agree with journalist of the article. This could be the biggest indication yet as to who will take over from Johnno. I know the topic of who our next captain will be has been done to death in other threads, but I think the boys would stand a little taller if Gia became the next skipper.

LostDoggy
13-02-2010, 05:49 PM
What's with the media trying to create 'tension' and 'drama' out of everything? There's no "jostling" behind the scenes.

ps. But geez Gia looks in ripping condition.

AndrewP6
13-02-2010, 05:53 PM
What's with the media trying to create 'tension' and 'drama' out of everything? There's no "jostling" behind the scenes.

ps. But geez Gia looks in ripping condition.

I can just imagine the scene in the inner sanctum -

"I'm gonna be the next captain"
"No, I'm gonna be the next captain"
"No, you're both wrong. I'm gonna be the best captain EVER"....

;)

LostDoggy
13-02-2010, 05:55 PM
I can just imagine the scene in the inner sanctum -

"I'm gonna be the next captain"
"No, I'm gonna be the next captain"
"No, you're both wrong. I'm gonna be the best captain EVER"....

;)

Haha exactly. Don't you know that real life is JUST like TV, where every moment is full of tension and people create conflict against each other irrationally despite supposedly being friends just for the heck of it?

Bulldog4life
14-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Haha exactly. Don't you know that real life is JUST like TV, where every moment is full of tension and people create conflict against each other irrationally despite supposedly being friends just for the heck of it?

For a very short time I once worked at a Company like that.:)

LostDoggy
18-02-2010, 10:59 PM
I'd accept Gia, Murph, Crossy, Boydy, and even Morris. But The way Lakey controls, Leads and sets up from the backline, and drifts into the forward line, He reminds me of Roosey, a champion of the game.
I'd accept him as well.
And he did push to get a 4 year deal.
Lakey is a Dog 4 Life