PDA

View Full Version : NAB Cup Round 2, Dogs v Hawks

Dry Rot
14-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Difficult to take much from our lads playing in a lake today, but what about the Hawks?

IMO, it was almost as difficult judging how they played vs the Punt Rd under 12s. Mitchell, Sewell and Hodge looked good. Hard to tell about their 2 forward guns who were playing on fools.

Their backline had some old hard heads in it, but looked pretty short.

Thoughts?

Rocco Jones
14-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Geez, it's already happened! We need to stop getting ahead of ourselves, there's still the intra club next week to get over.

Dry Rot
15-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Geez, it's already happened! We need to stop getting ahead of ourselves, there's still the intra club next week to get over.

I think we'll win that one.

When does Rioli come back?

The Underdog
15-02-2010, 12:19 AM

Rd 1 I think. I don't think he's going to play much pre-season from the sounds of it.

jazzadogs
15-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Is the plan to involve Hall, Eagle, Aker and Johnno in this game?

Mantis
15-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Is the plan to involve Hall, Eagle, Aker and Johnno in this game?

The bolded 2 still aren't training so I doubt very much they will be playing in this game even though it is still the best part of 2 weeks away.

I would say that Hall & Aker will play some part barring any set back leading up to the game.

Mantis
15-02-2010, 08:52 AM
It will be interesting to see how Minson goes over the next couple of weeks as he might be needed for this game. The 'bearded one' might come under a little bit of video scrutiny for his errant fend on Polkinghorne.

MrMahatma
15-02-2010, 09:00 AM
It will be interesting to see how Minson goes over the next couple of weeks as he might be needed for this game. The 'bearded one' might come under a little bit of video scrutiny for his errant fend on Polkinghorne.
If ever there's a game we can go in under strength in the ruck it's v the hawks.

aker39
15-02-2010, 09:12 AM
If ever there's a game we can go in under strength in the ruck it's v the hawks.

I'm sure Wayde Skipper is looking forward to it.

Yearofthedog
15-02-2010, 11:20 AM
It'll be great to see it on a highway rather than the unsealed dirt road at Manuka

Twodogs
15-02-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm sure Wayde Skipper is looking forward to it.

Maybe we can borrow him back for the day?

Ozza
15-02-2010, 12:18 PM

Think he is back for Round 1 of the actual season. His recovery must be going well, he was enjoying a few UDL's and a good dance on Saturday night at a house party with some of my mates!

LostDoggy
15-02-2010, 12:59 PM
So when and where is this game actually on? :)

aker39
15-02-2010, 01:02 PM
So when and where is this game actually on? :)

Friday 26th Feb at Etihad Stadium.

Starts at 7.40pm

The Pie Man
15-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Friday 27th Feb at Etihad Stadium.

Starts at 7.40pm

Cheers - though the 27th would be a Saturday (in which case I can make it, the Friday is Soundwave)

aker39
15-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Cheers - though the 27th would be a Saturday (in which case I can make it, the Friday is Soundwave)

Sorry, 27th is the Saturday, the game is actually on the 26th.

The Coon Dog
15-02-2010, 01:10 PM
It is Friday for sure, the 26th.

LostDoggy
15-02-2010, 02:04 PM
So it's the 26th? ;)

Thanks for the info aker39 & TCD. :)

The Coon Dog
15-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Who didn't play that might get a game in week 2 & at who's expense?

In: Hall, Akermanis, Hargrave & Wood.

Out: Boumann, Callan, Stack & Hill.

G-Mo77
15-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Oooh. Perfect! I have 2 weeks leave starting on Friday the 26th

What's the deal with NAB cup games. Do I get a discount because I'm a member or do I pay full fare like everyone else? Never been to one.

The Coon Dog
15-02-2010, 02:14 PM
What's the deal with NAB cup games. Do I get a discount because I'm a member or do I pay full fare like everyone else? Never been to one.

No, you have to pay.

G-Mo77
15-02-2010, 02:15 PM

Surely they would give him another chance. He played back in the second half and the ball barley went there in the 3rd quarter.

Higgins may miss, any news on his injury?

No, you have to pay.

:(

Well I'll pay then ;)

The Coon Dog
15-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Surely they would give him another chance. He played back in the second half and the ball barley went there in the 3rd quarter.

OK, keep Boumann in, who in the backline then misses if Wood & Hargrave return?

wend1604
15-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Friday 26th Feb at Etihad Stadium.

Starts at 7.40pm

I'll definitely be there even though I have to pay :( Can't go to the round one game on March 28 due to a Christening. Can't people get their priorities right and schedule these things on non football days?

aker39
15-02-2010, 02:52 PM
What's the deal with NAB cup games. Do I get a discount because I'm a member or do I pay full fare like everyone else?

Except for AFL members.

LostDoggy
15-02-2010, 03:23 PM
I'll definitely be there even though I have to pay :( Can't go to the round one game on March 28 due to a Christening. Can't people get their priorities right and schedule these things on non football days?

How dare anyone organise anything on Johnno's 350th game day!! It's my nieces 1st birthday on Saturday 27th March - THANK GOD she wasn't born 1 day later or I'd be disowned as an Aunty for missing her party. ;)

mighty_west
15-02-2010, 03:57 PM
OK, keep Boumann in, who in the backline then misses if Wood & Hargrave return?

Williams perhaps?

Lake & Morris will obviously take Roughy & Buddy, unless Rocket wants to give Williams some game time on Buddy. I just wonder though if both Tommy & Boumann can play in the same team?

I'm not sure i'd play Aker this early yet, perhaps give Pat Rose a game to see how he goes, like with Moles, mature aged rookies that could come in if required at anytime, these are the perfect games to give them a shot.

aker39
15-02-2010, 04:16 PM

Hudson given the all clear from the MRP - not considered to be a striking action.

I agree with the MRP it was not a striking action - it was an elbow to the face. I think he can count himself very lucky.

comrade
15-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Hudson given the all clear from the MRP - not considered to be a striking action.

I agree with the MRP it was not a striking action - it was an elbow to the face. I think he can count himself very lucky.

No report and we got the free kick for it - you beauty!

Scorlibo
15-02-2010, 04:26 PM
It'll be great to see it on a highway rather than the unsealed dirt road at Manuka

What? What is wrong with Manuka?

The Pie Man
15-02-2010, 04:27 PM
No report and we got the free kick for it - you beauty!

Yeah that is funny, I think even beard was a bit surprised at the time

aker39
15-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Higgins may miss, any news on his injury?

The clubs said today that he had suffered "minor bruising across the front of his right ankle" and would return to full training this week

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/shaun-higgins-clear-of-injury-concerns/story-e6frf9jf-1225830559403

chef
15-02-2010, 05:49 PM
What? What is wrong with Manuka?

Nothing, considering the amount of rain they had the ground held up as well as can be expected.

bulldog
15-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Does anyone know if the club is having a Intra Club game this weekend?

chef
15-02-2010, 07:30 PM

How far away is Big Willie from returning?

doggyz_rok
15-02-2010, 09:27 PM
How far away is Big Willie from returning?
I think he might be returning in round 1.

LostDoggy
15-02-2010, 11:20 PM
If Hall is in then one of Jones, Everitt or Grant will come out.
Boumann is there to cover Harris, Williams, Morris.
Don't see the point dropping Hill either.

The Coon Dog
15-02-2010, 11:23 PM
If Hall is in then one of Jones, Everitt or Grant will come out.
Boumann is there to cover Harris, Williams, Morris.
Don't see the point dropping Hill either.

No Harris anymore, been Lake for a while now.

Dropping may be too harsh a term, perhaps part of a rotation, seems the buzz word for tinkering managers in foodball (ala Les Murray).

What changes would you make Ernie? ;)

bulldogsman
16-02-2010, 01:24 AM
Why don't we wait until the intra club match before thinking about changes. A lot can happen in 5 days.

Go_Dogs
16-02-2010, 11:43 AM

I know Hill and Stack didn't perform very well, but I'd like to see them both get another shot as the conditions didn't really suit them at all. The younger, small forwards are going to be needed to fill spots asap, so the more opportunities the better at this stage for mine.

If Hall comes in, perhaps one of Jones or Grant may miss.

Swoop
16-02-2010, 12:12 PM
I think it would be good to acknowledge the conditions didn't suit key position players and reward Jones' endeavor with another senior game against the Hawks regardless of what happens between now and than. Showing a little faith in the player can really bring confidence and he worked hard to earn a game when he was behind others and I think it would be a shame for him to only have the Lions game to reflect on. Similarly to what we have done with Hill previously it would be good to give him a game and even if he is beaten he can go away and know exactly how far off the pace he is and what aspects of his game he needs to work on and improve which he couldn't really have taken away from last weeks game.

Mantis
16-02-2010, 12:16 PM
I know Hill and Stack didn't perform very well, but I'd like to see them both get another shot as the conditions didn't really suit them at all. The younger, small forwards are going to be needed to fill spots asap, so the more opportunities the better at this stage for mine.

If Hall comes in, perhaps one of Jones or Grant may miss.

Personally I would like to see those 2 play alongside/ in the same team as Hall at this early stage of the season. In my line of thinking I would give Hahn a rest.

stefoid
16-02-2010, 12:50 PM
What about markovic? Is he injured - he didnt play in canberra, did he? I would have thought that as a mature age recruit, they would want to have a good look at him for when, err, I mean 'if', williams breaks down again?

Mantis
16-02-2010, 01:18 PM
What about markovic? Is he injured - he didnt play in canberra, did he? I would have thought that as a mature age recruit, they would want to have a good look at him for when, err, I mean 'if', williams breaks down again?

He isn't injured, he just wasn't selected for the Canberra game.

I guess his selection in our next game will depend upon the availablity of Morris (might be rested??), if they want to give Lake an extended run or Boumann a decent opportunity to press his claims?

Go_Dogs
16-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Personally I would like to see those 2 play alongside/ in the same team as Hall at this early stage of the season. In my line of thinking I would give Hahn a rest.

I think that idea certainly has it's merits.

I'm just very keen for the younger, small forwards to get another opportunity, and by no means was my suggestion based on not wanting to see Jones/Grant get another go around, more so a like-for-like suggestion.

I think both of the young talls did show a bit, and with Barry in the side would give them some better structure to work in.

Will be interesting to see how the selections unfold, because it could clue us in for a better idea for how we may line up in Rd 1.

LostDoggy
16-02-2010, 03:01 PM

All good here, soundwave is one the 27th in adelaide.

LostDoggy
16-02-2010, 03:03 PM

Was it just me or was Hill completely ineffectual on Sunday? Granted, he is a dry weather player but we need some intensity from the guy.

LostDoggy
16-02-2010, 03:10 PM
I've never been to a NAB Cup game either and I'm an AFL Member this year. I'm also part of the Social Club. Can I just walk up on the day and sit in the AFL Members on Level 1? Or do I need to buy a ticket?

The Bulldogs Bite
16-02-2010, 03:24 PM

Yep.

If Barry plays, I think it's a must for Grant and Jones too.

Swoop
16-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Hill wasn't great but he was playing in a forward line that lacked experience and was relying on deplorable delivery due to the conditions, I will reserve judgement and believe he has enough runs on the board to merit selection in the next round of the NAB cup.

comrade
16-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Hill wasn't great but he was playing in a forward line that lacked experience and was relying on deplorable delivery due to the conditions, I will reserve judgement and believe he has enough runs on the board to merit selection in the next round of the NAB cup.

I agree, especially knowing that he’s worked pretty hard to put a lackluster start to the pre-season behind him. To judge him on one performance, particularly in those conditions, is a tad harsh.

bornadog
17-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Hargrave, Hall, Aker, Eagleton to all get a run - quote from Rocket on SEN

LostDoggy
17-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Listening to Rocket on Sen I suspect we will rest a older players or two.
Maybe one of Morris or Lake?

LostDoggy
17-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Hargrave, Hall, Aker, Eagleton to all get a run - quote from Rocket on SEN

Hall playing against Hawthorn should be interesting.

w3design
18-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Does anyone know if the club is having a Intra Club game this weekend?

I did not find any response to this request. Does anyone have an answer for Bulldog?
Is there Friday training with match simulation tomorrow? If so what time?
Thanks.

ledge
18-02-2010, 10:16 PM
I did not find any response to this request. Does anyone have an answer for Bulldog?
Thanks.

No one seems to know Pauly i was waiting to see too.

The Coon Dog
18-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Thanks.

Training tomorrow, 9.30am.

No Saturday training.

That's all I know.

w3design
19-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Training tomorrow, 9.30am.

No Saturday training.

That's all I know.

Coon Dog and Ledge: Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Mantis
19-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Coon Dog and Ledge: Thanks guys, much appreciated.

What did he do?

Paul you can always ring the club who would only be too happy to pass on information on training times if you haven't received an answer to your enquiry on WOOF.

ledge
19-02-2010, 10:36 AM
I dont know either Mantis.

Swoop
19-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Everyone needs a pat on the back from time to time, good work Ledge...three cheers for Ledge!

Also love your work TCD.

ledge
19-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Work and Ledge should never be said in the same sentence :)

Swoop
19-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Work and Ledge should never be said in the same sentence :)
Even more so on a Friday afternoon?

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-02-2010, 08:06 PM

Agree on Callan, Stack and Hill, but would like to see Boumann get another chance. Still to be convinced about Tom Williams. Boumann ultimately could be a better option.
It will also be good to give Roughhead another opportunity at the expense of the injured Will Minson. Roughhead appeals as a future No. 1 ruckman.

Swoop
19-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Obviously without knowing the specifics of the inner sanctum it is hard to speculate on who will and won't be available for selection but I would've thought monitoring someone like Hahn's workload would be an option.

Mantis
19-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Obviously without knowing the specifics of the inner sanctum it is hard to speculate on who will and won't be available for selection but I would've thought monitoring someone like Hahn's workload would be an option.

Yep.

Wouldn't mind seeing Morris and one of Boyd/ Cross having a rest as well.

The Underdog
20-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Despite the concerns about the playing surface at Docklands last night, I have to say I'm much more concerned about us playing on the relaid turf next friday night. There's much more likelihood of newly laid turf shifting underfoot, which scares the hell out of me.

ledge
20-02-2010, 10:57 AM
I am at a loss to why the ground got like that, seriously i would have thought the stage etc is just put on top of the ground on legs, looks like half the ground was dug up!

Etihad management never ceases to amaze me. The league must have got some money out of the concerts i presume otherwise why would you let that happen?

Dancin' Douggy
20-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Was it just me or was Hill completely ineffectual on Sunday? Granted, he is a dry weather player but we need some intensity from the guy.

Those conditions made it impossible to judge.
What he did show was a willingness for the contest and general keenness.
Laid one great tackle I remember.

Hotdog60
20-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Despite the concerns about the playing surface at Docklands last night, I have to say I'm much more concerned about us playing on the relaid turf next friday night. There's much more likelihood of newly laid turf shifting underfoot, which scares the hell out of me.

I'm with you on this Underdog, you only need to go back in the past when new turf has ben laid. There were no end to the complaints from the clubs and how many serious injuries occurred as a result.

Mantis
20-02-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm with you on this Underdog, you only need to go back in the past when new turf has ben laid. There were no end to the complaints from the clubs and how many serious injuries occurred as a result.

They change the playing surface every 6 to 8 weeks nowadays and generally you don't see a problem.

ledge
20-02-2010, 01:50 PM
They change the playing surface every 6 to 8 weeks nowadays and generally you don't see a problem.

If thats the case they did a shocking job of replacing any of it between Monday and Friday, which would be only one day less time than they would get during the season.

Only needed to replace certain parts not all either.

ledge
20-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Same as the debacle they made of the ground a few weeks ago when the Victory had to play on it.

Mantis
20-02-2010, 04:11 PM
If thats the case they did a shocking job of replacing any of it between Monday and Friday, which would be only one day less time than they would get during the season.

Only needed to replace certain parts not all either.

They didn't replace any as it took them 33 hours to dismantle the stage used in the AC/DC concerts.

It was thought that with the A-league final being played on the Thursday night it was best to play with the surface they had and replace the grass after tomorrows game between North & Geelong.

ledge
20-02-2010, 04:50 PM
They didn't replace any as it took them 33 hours to dismantle the stage used in the AC/DC concerts.

It was thought that with the A-league final being played on the Thursday night it was best to play with the surface they had and replace the grass after tomorrows game between North & Geelong.

Well they must have had time to replace some in 3 days, anyway whatever the case Etihad management is a disgrace, as was pointed out a long time ago, they said ok to the AC/DC concerts without even looking at the schedules they had.
Money hungry Morons.

Even stuffed up how to get people in and out of the place at the AC/DC concert, they have had how many years now to learn and get it right?

LostDoggy
21-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Those conditions made it impossible to judge.
What he did show was a willingness for the contest and general keenness.
Laid one great tackle I remember.

I hope your right because I was looking out for him and I didnt see much willlingness. This week will be a better indicator.

The Coon Dog
22-02-2010, 07:50 PM
One young pup might rue not doing the right thing & find himself watching from the stands on Friday night.

Are you still going to go comrade? ;)

Mofra
22-02-2010, 07:51 PM
One young pup might rue not doing the right thing & find himself watching from the stands on Friday night.
Oh dear - hopefully nothing malicious

The Coon Dog
22-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Oh dear - hopefully nothing malicious

No, just a complete lack of professionalism.

Go_Dogs
22-02-2010, 07:55 PM

Reading between the lines, if he goes out, I'd be pretty keen to see Markovic get a run.

The Coon Dog
22-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Reading between the lines, if he goes out, I'd be pretty keen to see Markovic get a run.

Mulligan might be a chance.

Jasper
22-02-2010, 08:16 PM

I hear he has had a few stuff ups along the way. You can write off a few mistakes by the young guys because of their age but for a player entering into his 3rd year the NAB cup games are the best chance to place yourself at the top of the pecking order. I wonder if this is just a one week set back or if the club will take a stronger stance.

The Coon Dog
22-02-2010, 09:13 PM
If West Coast win, they travel to Melb to play Dogs/Hawks.

If Port win they host Dogs/Hawks at AAMI.

All irrelevant for us though if we lose to Hawthorn.

chef
22-02-2010, 09:17 PM
If West Coast win, they travel to Melb to play Dogs/Hawks.

If Port win they host Dogs/Hawks at AAMI.

All irrelevant for us though if we lose to Hawthorn.

If that was to happen hopefully we end up in Bendigo or Shepp.

The Underdog
22-02-2010, 10:04 PM
I am at a loss to why the ground got like that, seriously i would have thought the stage etc is just put on top of the ground on legs, looks like half the ground was dug up!

Etihad management never ceases to amaze me. The league must have got some money out of the concerts i presume otherwise why would you let that happen?

Most of the stage is above the ground. The small square dead patches towards the goals are where the scaffolding supports sit on wooden blocks. The long runs of dead areas are basically where things like plywood roads used by forklifts on the set-up and pack -up are laid down, where flooring is put down under security barrier, things like that. You can't put things down on a grass surface for a week and not kill grass. ES management would have known exactly the problems they'd face and followed the cash register anyway.
The pack down of the stage actually happened so quickly they had access to the areas 24 hours earlier than they were contractually bound to so they had extra time to work on it too.

Dazza
22-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Comrade is on quite a few bandwagons... Is it the one with previous discretions?

comrade
22-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Comrade is on quite a few bandwagons... Is it the one with previous discretions?

I'm only on one as far I'm aware.

Rocco Jones
22-02-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm only on one as far I'm aware.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Maybe he got us confused. I started Tim Callan and Dylan Addison fan clubs once.

Boumann getting dropped from a NAB Cup game for disciplinary reasons and the folk on the beard thread arguing over which worth charity most humorously fits the vibe of the thing. Non of that garbage at Brennan Stack A Go-Go (still plenty of garbage though).

Dazza
22-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Ah my bad. I thought you were on the Liam Jones bandwagon as well. I must be thinking of someone else.

The Coon Dog
22-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Ah my bad. I thought you were on the Liam Jones bandwagon as well. I must be thinking of someone else.
You're thinking of Bulldog Tragic.

LostDoggy
23-02-2010, 10:31 PM
TAB have Hawks @ favorites to win @ $1.70 (Bulldogs $2.10)

Good money for Bulldogs over 15.5 points @ $2.95

Rocco Jones
23-02-2010, 10:40 PM
TAB have Hawks @ favorites to win @ $1.70 (Bulldogs $2.10)

Good money for Bulldogs over 15.5 points @ $2.95

It's pretty hard to frame an accurate market on the NAB Cup but the Hawks would be my favourites to win it. They are a quality side that missed the finals last season. Big break and wanting to get back to winning footy and putting out a side resembling their best in the NAB Cup.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-02-2010, 11:03 PM
What's the odds for Hawthorn winning the NAB Cup?

Agree with what Rocco said.

The Coon Dog
23-02-2010, 11:12 PM
It's pretty hard to frame an accurate market on the NAB Cup but the Hawks would be my favourites to win it. They are a quality side that missed the finals last season. Big break and wanting to get back to winning footy and putting out a side resembling their best in the NAB Cup.

I'm sure our side also resembles somewhere near our best too. We'll be missing Minson, Williams & Johnson. I think the Hawks will be without Renouf, Burgoyne & Rioli.

Rocco Jones
23-02-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm sure our side also resembles somewhere near our best too. We'll be missing Minson, Williams & Johnson. I think the Hawks will be without Renouf, Burgoyne & Rioli.

That's true, I would actually have us as second favourites. Just think they might be a bit more serious about it than us.

Dry Rot
24-02-2010, 10:50 AM

That's true, I would actually have us as second favourites. Just think they might be a bit more serious about it than us.

Those StKilda chaps may be in with a show.

LostDoggy
24-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Saints favorites, then hawks then dogs @ $7 to win it

jazzadogs
24-02-2010, 01:27 PM
I think just as much as it's about having your best team out there, it's also about how good those extra 3-4 players are (the extra couple on the bench, plus the two substitutes).

Given all the talk about us having amazing depth, that should give us a stronger team?

I do agree that Saints, Hawks and Dogs are the three most likely at the moment, but anything can happen.

Mantis
24-02-2010, 01:36 PM
I will be interested to see how we go about combatting the 'twin towers'.

Lake only played a bit part role against Brisbane (and looked a little rusty) so I will be interested to see if he lines up on Franklin remembering that he did a great job on him last year. With no Williams (as per TCD's post) I wonder who will line up on Roughead? Normally you would say Morris, but perhaps they may like to see Mulligan have a crack.

dogman
24-02-2010, 02:42 PM

Why are we missing Williams, what has he managed to injure now:rolleyes:

The Coon Dog
24-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Why are we missing Williams, what has he managed to injure now:rolleyes:

In the Brisbane game in Canberra he came off at half time experiencing hamstring tightness & was substituted. Just don't want to risk him.

Dry Rot
24-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Friday February 26
Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium, 7.40pm

HAWTHORN v WESTERN BULLDOGS
Hawthorn
2. Jarryd Roughead, 3. Jordan Lewis, 4. Rick Ladson, 5. Sam Mitchell, 6. Josh Gibson, 8. Xavier Ellis, 12. Brad Sewell, 13. Simon Taylor, 14. Grant Birchall, 15. Luke Hodge, 17. Beau Muston, 18. Brent Guerra, 19. Jarryd Morton, 21. Shane Savage, 23. Lance Franklin, 25. Ryan Schoenmakers, 26. Liam Shiels, 27. Stephen Gilham, 28. Garry Moss, 29. Tom Murphy, 30. Campbell Brown, 31. Matthew Suckling, 35. Sam Grimley, 36. Jordan Lisle, 39. Ben Stratton, 43. Will Sierakowski, 45. Jarrod Kayler-Thomson, 47. Luke Bruest, 48. Carl Peterson.

Western Bulldogs
1. Jarrad Grant, 2. Robert Murphy, 3. Andrejs Everitt, 4. Daniel Cross, 5. Matthew Boyd, 7. Shaun Higgins, 8. Mitch Hahn, 9. Lindsay Gilbee, 10. Nathan Eagleton, 13. Daniel Giansiracusa, 14. Callan Ward, 15. Ben Hudson, 16. Ryan Griffen, 17. Adam Cooney, 18. Brennan Stack, 19. Liam Jones, 20. Josh Hill, 21. Jason Akermanis, 22. Dylan Addison, 23. Jordan Roughead, 25. Ryan Hargrave, 28. Barry Hall, 31. James Mulligan, 33. Tim Callan, 36. Brian Lake, 38. Dale Morris, 40. Jarrod Harbrow, 42. Liam Picken, 44. Brodie Moles.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/89851/default.aspx

Greystache
24-02-2010, 02:59 PM
In the Brisbane game in Canberra he came off at half time experiencing hamstring tightness & was substituted. Just don't want to risk him.

I must have missed that too, cheers for the update.

So even when he's not having structural problems (broken foot bones, dislocated shoulder etc) he's having soft tissue problems.

You know, I'm starting to think Williams might be a little injury prone!

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Whilst I wouldn't mind seeing Mulligan get a crack at one of Franklin/Roughead, it might do more harm than good. Rance was killed and was substituted off the ground after they threw him to the wolves. I wouldn't like to see the same thing happening to Mulligan. Hawthorn appear to be in good nick too so I'm not sure if it's the right time.

From DR's list, how many players miss? Is it just the two?

comrade
24-02-2010, 03:01 PM
No Easton Wood again.

Hopefully we’re just being conservative at this stage of the season and the knock he copped wasn’t worse than first thought.

LostDoggy
24-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Whilst I wouldn't mind seeing Mulligan get a crack at one of Franklin/Roughead, it might do more harm than good. Rance was killed and was substituted off the ground after they threw him to the wolves. I wouldn't like to see the same thing happening to Mulligan. Hawthorn appear to be in good nick too so I'm not sure if it's the right time.

Out: Williams, Boumann, Markovic and Rose
In: Hall, Eagleton, Aker and Hargrave

Go_Dogs
24-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Normally you would say Morris, but perhaps they may like to see Mulligan have a crack.

Yep, would be a could challenge and chance to see what he may be able to offer us during the year. Go for it, I say!

LostDoggy
24-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Going to interesting seeing the two Rougheads playing, I wonder if it will be a replay of Morton v Morton from the Richmond game.:)

GVGjr
24-02-2010, 06:55 PM

Fair point. Boumann would have been a good option as well but has missed his chance.
Markovic is the one that should have been in the mix. Whilst he would not have had the pace to go with Franklin he might have been able to match Roughead for a while.
Looks like Morris will once again have to fight out of his weight division.

LostDoggy
24-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Am really looking forward to Friday night.......looking forward to seeing all the guys out there.....im also really looking forward to seeing Josh Gibson out on the ground as well....

mjp
24-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Am really looking forward to Friday night.......looking forward to seeing all the guys out there.....im also really looking forward to seeing Josh Gibson out on the ground as well....

Can I assume you mean 'Out cold on the ground'?

I would really, really, really like to win this week, win well, and put every other side (and prospective member) on notice.

Before I Die
24-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Looks like Morris will once again have to fight out of his weight division.

Perhaps the coaching staff have more faith in Everitt as a CHB than the majority of WOOF posters.

I am not suggesting he get first crack, but the list of possibles doesn't go any further than Lake, Morris, Mulligan, Jones and Everitt. Actually, I am suggesting he get first crack. Now I will sit back and read all the explanations as to why this would not be a good idea. :)

GVGjr
25-02-2010, 06:50 AM
Perhaps the coaching staff have more faith in Everitt as a CHB than the majority of WOOF posters.

I am not suggesting he get first crack, but the list of possibles doesn't go any further than Lake, Morris, Mulligan, Jones and Everitt. Actually, I am suggesting he get first crack. Now I will sit back and read all the explanations as to why this would not be a good idea. :)

I'm all for testing Everitt but against Franklin or Roughead would be a huge one for him.
I've read a lot about him here and despite that I'm still not sure what his best position is and how we should best use him.

Maybe Friday night might show what Eade is planning for him.

chef
25-02-2010, 07:52 AM

I hope not, Everitt needs to be played forward of the center IMO.

Hotdog60
25-02-2010, 08:15 AM
I hope not, Everitt needs to be played forward of the center IMO.

Agreed, I think a floating Half forward flanker with a license to roam. See if he can create space and hopefully score or setup opportunities.

Mantis
25-02-2010, 08:31 AM

Perhaps they have less faith.

From what we have seen in the past Andrejs hasn't looked the part playing in defence, especially on tallish opponents and I would think the coaching staff would have taken notice.

Before I Die
25-02-2010, 08:54 AM
I'm all for testing Everitt but against Franklin or Roughead would be a huge one for him.
I've read a lot about him here and despite that I'm still not sure what his best position is and how we should best use him.

Maybe Friday night might show what Eade is planning for him.

I guess it comes down to:

(a) whether it is a must win game or a practice match

(b) what the coaching staff have ruled out and ruled in regarding Everitt's future roles.

If Mulligan plays he will likely be in a key back position. If the win is what matters most, Morris is our go to man, though his record against Buddy is crap. Everitt is bigger, stronger, fitter and apparently more desperate. He is 193cm and I believe he will have a career with us as a key position player (CHB, CHF or swingman between both) or he will move on to another club.

Swoop
25-02-2010, 10:28 AM
I would argue that Everitt is only taller than Morris, I would question whether he is actually stronger or fitter to play that specific position and I would also add that Morris is quicker and smarter in that role.

As others have stated it all depends on what we actually want to get out of the game.

bornadog
25-02-2010, 02:25 PM
I would argue that Everitt is only taller than Morris, I would question whether he is actually stronger or fitter to play that specific position and I would also add that Morris is quicker and smarter in that role.

As others have stated it all depends on what we actually want to get out of the game.

3cm difference, but can make a difference depending on reach, leap an strength

hujsh
25-02-2010, 04:19 PM

If Comrade needs a fix he could come to my high school. Bouman and Cordy will be there for some reason.

comrade
25-02-2010, 05:19 PM
If Comrade needs a fix he could come to my high school. Bouman and Cordy will be there for some reason.

Hopefully he turns up.

hujsh
25-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Hopefully he turns up.

:)
If he doesn't I'll be sure to mention it.

LostDoggy
26-02-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure whether I will go or not.

Can I get in with my AFL Membership tonight? Do I just scan my AFL membership card to get in? Where would I be sitting?

Throughandthrough
26-02-2010, 04:17 PM

Taylor Walker played one good game last year.

Vs The Bulldogs.

Sadly, Everitt was smashed that day on him.

Doc26
26-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Boumann would have been a good option as well but has missed his chance.

I must've missed the news but does anyone happen to know any details as to why Boumann was dropped for this match ? If for disciplinary reasons what he may have done or didn't do ?

LostDoggy
26-02-2010, 05:28 PM
I must've missed the news but does anyone happen to know any details as to why Boumann was dropped for this match ? If for disciplinary reasons what he may have done or didn't do ?

From what i can gather (off very reliable poster here on WOOF) he didnt show up to a compulsory training session.

comrade
26-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Prediction time...

Dogs by 5 points with Barry kicking 3.2

chef
26-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Dogs by 25
Cooney BOG
Hall to kick 4.1

LostDoggy
26-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Dogs by 4
Giansiracusa BOG
Hall to kick 2.4

Swoop
26-02-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm tipping a high scoring affair, Rawlings to kick 7, Street to impress and Koops to unluckily miss out on a free kick in the final stages of the game....oops wrong year???

Just on a side note, I went past the membership tents this afternoon outside of Etihad Stadium and I wanted to highlight that I really thought the Western Bulldogs tent was really well set up and aesthetically looked good especially in comparison to the Hawks tent which was right next to it. Good work.

ledge
26-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm tipping a high scoring affair, Rawlings to kick 7, Street to impress and Koops to unluckily miss out on a free kick in the final stages of the game....oops wrong year???

Just on a side note, I went past the membership tents this afternoon outside of Etihad Stadium and I wanted to highlight that I really thought the Western Bulldogs tent was really well set up and aesthetically looked good especially in comparison to the Hawks tent which was right next to it. Good work.

Question is were many signing up!

Dry Rot
26-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Hall!!!!!!!!!!!

4 goals so far in the first quarter.

chef
26-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Hall!!!!!!!!!!!

4 goals so far in the first quarter.

Wow, I can't wait till the game starts for me(8.30:mad:).

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Great start by Hall.
Not to be too negative, but we have almost exclusively gone forward to Hall every foray into 50. This was my biggest concern about how his inclusion would change one of our big advantages, that being the unpredictability of our forward line.
We have many finishers, and I hope this is not a harbinger of things to come, that we become totally Hall focused.

AndrewP6
26-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Great start by Hall.
Not to be too negative, but we have almost exclusively gone forward to Hall every foray into 50. This was my biggest concern about how his inclusion would change one of our big advantages, that being the unpredictability of our forward line.
We have many finishers, and I hope this is not a harbinger of things to come, that we become totally Hall focused.

True, they have gone to him a lot, but it's a whole heap better than the aimless bombing into forward 50 of recent seasons, and he has made really good position.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-02-2010, 10:13 PM
True, they have gone to him a lot, but it's a whole heap better than the aimless bombing into forward 50 of recent seasons, and he has made really good position.

Yep fair point.

On a different note, our defensive efforts have been very good, especially inside our forward 50.

ledge
26-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Gee Moles reminds me of Dimattina.

LostDoggy
26-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Guys have looked really good tonight, great intensity.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-02-2010, 10:19 PM

A great example there of what you were saying. Griff just bombed it in and unlike for the past 5 or 6 years we had a tall target to mark it in Hall.

Dry Rot
26-02-2010, 10:35 PM
A great example there of what you were saying. Griff just bombed it in and unlike for the past 5 or 6 years we had a tall target to mark it in Hall.

Not all his goals were from marks - good at ground level and running snaps too.

I've seen so much of in Swans colours living in Sydney - tonight has been strange (strange good).

And when Hall tackles someone, they don't get away. Or get up quickly.

Dogz-21
26-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Jarrad Grant seems to be showing his ability

LostDoggy
26-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Amazing..

Dry Rot
26-02-2010, 10:46 PM
How good has Gia been up forward?

And you have to admire Addison's endeavour.

LostDoggy
26-02-2010, 10:50 PM

Still needs to be more confident in himself, but has done some really good things tonight.

ledge
26-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Im impressed at half time, a couple of marks dropped but i suppose you expect that.

Roughead has done a few good things, Addison trying hard, Moles is a goer, Everitt was chasing.
Gia been making a few appearances.
Ward and Higgins seem to be just doing a little.
I certainly think Hall is great for Grant.
Aker just cruising.
Hill seems to be his normal self, looks like he is just gliding.
Harbrow, has he got quicker??
Hall, have you noticed him smiling? open footy has released a lot of the tension, must have been so frustrating at Sydney.

LostDoggy
26-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Is it ok to drop the ball in a tackle now, and then kick it off the ground for a goal?

Dry Rot
26-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Hall, have you noticed him smiling? open footy has released a lot of the tension, must have been so frustrating at Sydney.

At the end of the game, Hall and Lake didn't look like the best of mates on the bench.

AndrewP6
26-02-2010, 11:24 PM
At the end of the game, Hall and Lake didn't look like the best of mates on the bench.

So long as they book-end the team, they'll be right! ;)

Dry Rot
26-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Just looking at the scoreboard goals graphic on Ch7:

B. Hall 6 :D

ledge
26-02-2010, 11:47 PM

Maybe Lake is thinking there goes my odd occasion i went forward.

lemmon
26-02-2010, 11:58 PM

Ha ha, what happened? Missed it, 7 commentary team are harping on about it now though

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Both were talking & laughing at the end of the game, nothing in it.

AndrewP6
27-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Ha ha, what happened? Missed it, 7 commentary team are harping on about it now though

Shot of them showed each looking away from the other, and neither looked thrilled.. they showed them a couple of times, and at games end, all seemed OK. Bit of a beat-up methinks. As I've previously posted, they're at opposite ends of the ground, and as long as they hold up their end, we'll be right!

AndrewP6
27-02-2010, 12:13 AM
A "pleasing" interview with Rocket post-game - in about a minute and a half, he got it in at least 3 times I think. And did Timmy put it in too?

Stefcep
27-02-2010, 12:15 AM

He's not AFL first team standard.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Shot of them showed each looking away from the other, and neither looked thrilled.. they showed them a couple of times, and at games end, all seemed OK. Bit of a beat-up methinks. As I've previously posted, they're at opposite ends of the ground, and as long as they hold up their end, we'll be right!

They were sharing a joke at one stage on the bench.

However Richo didn't look thrilled when interviewing Baz after the game, and neither of them made any eye contact with each other. There seemed more there than anything between Baz & Brian.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-02-2010, 12:19 AM

Looked better when he was without the ball pressuring the opposition than when going for the ball. Needs more of this kind of exposure though, and playing alongside Hall can only help him.

Dry Rot
27-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Looked better when he was without the ball pressuring the opposition than when going for the ball. .

Agreed - very good signs there.

Stefcep
27-02-2010, 12:23 AM

Big change in our approach into the forward 50 compared to last year where we either went wide or bombed aimlessly with a hail mary. Even if Hall gets well held, we now have the option to go wide to the Gia, Murphy Johnston Hill, Hahn. Its a much more balanced forward line.

boydogs
27-02-2010, 12:24 AM

Yeah Hall really moves a pack, doesn't he

Some observations:

- Roughead and Moles are ready
- Grant and Stack are not ready
- Cross still doesn't like kicking
- Eagleton was raw, as to be expected
- Griffen, Gia, Gilbee look better
- Hill played well, excluding the kicking yips. Will benefit from having Hall, possibly more so than Hahn who can compete physically, whereas Josh needs to come in from the side

Stefcep
27-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Looked better when he was without the ball pressuring the opposition than when going for the ball. Needs more of this kind of exposure though, and playing alongside Hall can only help him.

To me he looks as if he lacks the body strength, and just seems a little lost and unsure. Looks like a kid taking his first steps. I'd be surprised if he got a lot of game time in the firsts this season.

Stefcep
27-02-2010, 12:27 AM
They were sharing a joke at one stage on the bench.

However Richo didn't look thrilled when interviewing Baz after the game, and neither of them made any eye contact with each other. There seemed more there than anything between Baz & Brian.

Richo is a shit interviewer, he sounds so disinterested and as if he's reading off an autocue, or trying to remember the questions that he's been learning over the week.

Doc26
27-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Gee Moles reminds me of Dimattina.

Just home from the game and we were all commenting about this. The likeness is damn scary.

Stefcep
27-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Yeah Hall really moves a pack, doesn't he

Some observations:

- Roughead and Moles are ready
- Grant and Stack are not ready
- Cross still doesn't like kicking
- Eagleton was raw, as to be expected
- Griffen, Gia, Gilbee look better
- Hill played well, excluding the kicking yips. Will benefit from having Hall, possibly more so than Hahn who can compete physically, whereas Josh needs to come in from the side

On the money there. I might be more critical of Hill, I still get the feeling that he lacks intensity on the ball.

AndrewP6
27-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Richo is a shit interviewer, he sounds so disinterested and as if he's reading off an autocue, or trying to remember the questions that he's been learning over the week.

X 1000... he was good for kicking goals (and cracking the sads)... he's a dud with the mike. Boring as hell. Would almost rather hear Kelli Underwood. Almost.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-02-2010, 12:31 AM

He is a fairly laconic sort of bloke, seemed an odd choice as a commentator.

AndrewP6
27-02-2010, 12:33 AM

To me, he showed how far off he still is.

AndrewP6
27-02-2010, 12:36 AM
He is a fairly laconic sort of bloke, seemed an odd choice as a commentator.

Yeah, seems it was a case of "He was a great player, we should give him a mike"... I hope they Underwood him before too long.

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 12:42 AM
To me, he showed how far off he still is.

I think people still accept that, but he did show signs of improvement from having a good pre season (i thought so anyway).

hujsh
27-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Quite impressed at how Hahn handled Franklin when put in the position. Perhaps he could be a good emergency option if we really struggled in-game with injuries.

Stefcep
27-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Are we peaking too early?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-02-2010, 12:55 AM

The fact the Hawks had 14 players who have played 20 games or less on the park tonight, may've assisted our form.
That's what makes these NAB Cup games hard to use as any sort of form barometer.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-02-2010, 12:56 AM
* Gia and Murph looked in great nick. Both look due for possibly their best season yet. Moving very well and are quick thinkers.

* Hall was outstanding in marking, kicking goals, pressuring, creating space for team mates and bringing the ball to the ground if he didn't mark it.

* Cooney looked sharp and very strong. I think he's in for a big season. I was really happy with Griff's game tonight. 25 possessions and did pretty well for four quarters. Encouraging signs for him to take the next step.

* Hill was pretty good minus the goal kicking. He struggles to kick from any kind of angle but he's going to benefit from Hall wrestling in the goal square.

* Lake was superb on Franklin, he's a great player. Ditto Morris' job on Roughead. Pleasing to see them carry on from last year so early in 2010.

* Moles looks like a player. Sprayed a few kicks but he could perhaps fill a role. I wasn't at the game so it's hard to gauge his work rate, pace etc. but he does make good decisions with the ball in hand. Composed, as we saw by that lovely goal.

* Roughead and Hudson did very well against ordinary opposition. Really impressed with their desire though. Never gave up and they worked tirelessly. Great to see.

* Stack was ordinary but it's probably not easy to come into a game three quarters through. Needs to improve a lot if he's going to get games. Addison tried hard but made way too many mistakes. Grant did some nice things but struggles to find the ball - but the delivery was crap to him. Needs to work hard at Williamstown.

* Disappointed to see Everitt playing in the back half. Really does get lost. Hope he plays the wing/half forward role next week as that's the only way he's going to push for selection in our best 22. Definitely not as a defender.

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 12:57 AM
I was disappointed with Stack and Grant tonight. Does everyone still think Grant will make it?

Players I was impressed with:

Barry Hall
Ryan Griffen
Adam Cooney
Brodie Moles
Jordan Roughead

The Adelaide Connection
27-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Taylor Walker played one good game last year.

Vs The Bulldogs.

Sadly, Everitt was smashed that day on him.

I think you find he tore the hawks apart at Aami and kicked 5 or 6 too. Regardless your point is still valid

comrade
27-02-2010, 12:59 AM

Would you prefer we lost?

Rance Fan
27-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Hope we continue to dominate as long as we dont showboat to much!
Everyone did what was required and more, maybe except for a few.
Grants a worry!
Stack not much in limited time.
Eagleton to get fitter with more gametime.
NAB Cup R3....Next!!

Dry Rot
27-02-2010, 01:02 AM
Grant - the delivery was crap to him.

Good point and the knockers should note that. I

thought that his endeavours without the ball NB defensively were quite good.

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Big change in our approach into the forward 50 compared to last year where we either went wide or bombed aimlessly with a hail mary. Even if Hall gets well held, we now have the option to go wide to the Gia, Murphy Johnston Hill, Hahn. Its a much more balanced forward line.

Can you please spell our captains name right, he has been playing for 15 years

G-Mo77
27-02-2010, 01:06 AM

I didn't realise we had? :confused:

Pretty happy with the game tonight. Everyone is going to talk about Hall's 6 goals. What I loved more about his game tonight was the tackles he layed. They were ferocious and his presence alone chasing defenders is going to cause a few teams headaches. Despite Hill's poor kicking he is one guy who is really going to benefit a lot from having Hall in the forward 50.

Who do we have next week?

Rance Fan
27-02-2010, 01:06 AM
The fact the Hawks had 14 players who have played 20 games or less on the park tonight, may've assisted our form.
That's what makes these NAB Cup games hard to use as any sort of form barometer.

Always seem to be excuses when teams get smashed....they were world beaters in Rd 1 when they smashed the tigers!
Boo Hoo i say

I also would of preferred Everitt on wing or up forward.!!??
Hahn....Buddy wasnt pushin him aside!!

The Coon Dog
27-02-2010, 01:07 AM

NAB Cup Semi Final (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=6953)

Rance Fan
27-02-2010, 01:11 AM
Port or Eagles in the West they were saying.

Grant delivery seemed ok....I recall in the first quarter when he went for a mark it hit him on the head and in the last quarter i think it was he was deep alone in the goal square and he failed to attack and mark it...ended up given the free away.

I hope he makes it, but long way to go for mine

boydogs
27-02-2010, 01:16 AM
* Gia and Murph looked in great nick. Both look due for possibly their best season yet. Moving very well and are quick thinkers.

* Hall was outstanding in marking, kicking goals, pressuring, creating space for team mates and bringing the ball to the ground if he didn't mark it.

* Cooney looked sharp and very strong. I think he's in for a big season. I was really happy with Griff's game tonight. 25 possessions and did pretty well for four quarters. Encouraging signs for him to take the next step.

* Hill was pretty good minus the goal kicking. He struggles to kick from any kind of angle but he's going to benefit from Hall wrestling in the goal square.

* Lake was superb on Franklin, he's a great player. Ditto Morris' job on Roughead. Pleasing to see them carry on from last year so early in 2010.

* Moles looks like a player. Sprayed a few kicks but he could perhaps fill a role. I wasn't at the game so it's hard to gauge his work rate, pace etc. but he does make good decisions with the ball in hand. Composed, as we saw by that lovely goal.

* Roughead and Hudson did very well against ordinary opposition. Really impressed with their desire though. Never gave up and they worked tirelessly. Great to see.

* Stack was ordinary but it's probably not easy to come into a game three quarters through. Needs to improve a lot if he's going to get games. Addison tried hard but made way too many mistakes. Grant did some nice things but struggles to find the ball - but the delivery was crap to him. Needs to work hard at Williamstown.

* Disappointed to see Everitt playing in the back half. Really does get lost. Hope he plays the wing/half forward role next week as that's the only way he's going to push for selection in our best 22. Definitely not as a defender.

Another great post TBB.

Does your Hill comment apply to more than just tonight's game? Don't remember this being an issue previously

boydogs
27-02-2010, 01:19 AM
I didn't realise we had? :confused:

Pretty happy with the game tonight. Everyone is going to talk about Hall's 6 goals. What I loved more about his game tonight was the tackles he layed. They were ferocious and his presence alone chasing defenders is going to cause a few teams headaches. Despite Hill's poor kicking he is one guy who is really going to benefit a lot from having Hall in the forward 50.

There were only 2 of them, but that just emphasises the point on his presence - only need to lay one or two big ones and the opposition start looking over their shoulder and rushing their disposal

Bulldog4life
27-02-2010, 01:21 AM
Port or Eagles in the West they were saying.

Grant delivery seemed ok....I recall in the first quarter when he went for a mark it hit him on the head and in the last quarter i think it was he was deep alone in the goal square and he failed to attack and mark it...ended up given the free away.

I hope he makes it, but long way to go for mine

Great win tonight but I have to agree that I was disappointed with Grant. I hope he makes it but from what I saw tonight gee he has a long way to go.

jazzadogs
27-02-2010, 01:25 AM
Couldn't have been happier with Barry's debut. As others have said, the goals were a relief but his pressure and tackling was the most satisfying aspect. Now I'd like to see him on a real fullback...

Grant did some good things, still a fair way off. Did I miss something about why Jones didn't play? I thought Jones would have been first picked ahead of Grant, given Rocket's comments in regards to him over the summer.

Also, any special reason why Harbrow was the player substituted for Eagleton? Mainly just checking there isn't an injury...

Good win Doggies, bring on the next game. Keep up the intensity, and we'll keep winning.

G-Mo77
27-02-2010, 01:32 AM
Couldn't have been happier with Barry's debut. As others have said, the goals were a relief but his pressure and tackling was the most satisfying aspect. Now I'd like to see him on a real fullback...

Yeah poor ol' Gibson was out of his league tonight. Apparently they were in flag contention after beating Richmond VFL last week. It was nice to give them a reality check in all areas of the ground especially up forward as Gibson was going to be their cornerstone in the backline.

G-Mo77
27-02-2010, 01:34 AM
Also, any special reason why Harbrow was the player substituted for Eagleton? Mainly just checking there isn't an injury...

Didn't look like it. He cannoned his body a fair bit tonight so he may have been a bit sore.

jazzadogs
27-02-2010, 01:36 AM
Didn't look like it. He cannoned his body a fair bit tonight so he may have been a bit sore.
Good to hear, thanks for that. It took me long enough to figure out who had been subbed...maybe they could actually announce the substitutions/put them up on the screen?
It's just as bad on the TV, they don't say anything until they've been on the ground for 20minutes.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Another great post TBB.

Does your Hill comment apply to more than just tonight's game? Don't remember this being an issue previously

Thanks.

They do, probably a thing I've noticed over the past 12 months. Quite a good shot for goal but he struggles to kick them from the tighter angles. They can be a little tricky, but with the correct technique and concentration they shouldn't be hard to nail with drop punts.

Probably something he'd want to correct as he takes quite a few marks in the pockets that require him to kick from those sorts of angles.

macca
27-02-2010, 03:39 AM
This sumed up Grant in the last quarter. Outside 50, running towards boundary 2m clear of campbell Brown, ball bounces in front, could not get around, and Brown clears ball out to boundary. Grant is far, far away. He has not got the strength intensity and gut running required at this level.

Late in the 3rd quarter, I saw a Doggies side that looked menancing and wanting to beat a time comfortably.

Hill looks stronger, and bigger body Hall around he will benefit. Even Crossy looks like he has baulked up. Boyd was superb. DFA has shocking disposal at times.

BulldogBelle
27-02-2010, 05:31 AM
From tonight's game

STACK
Showed nothing good. Poor actually. Why does anybody think he is any good. Has looked hopeless in every game that I've seen him in. Looks like a dud.

ADDISON
Poor skills. Not in the best 22. Think about delisting him at the end of the year. Lots of courage blah blah blah, but otherwise not much chop.

WARD
I was expecting to see some further improvement in his game. But tonight's performance wasn't inspiring.

GILBEE
Has missed many shots at goal from outside 50 lately, that were the result of a quick kick from a give-off. His kicking has deteriorated. Accurate kicking is Gilbee's forte! Remember Paul Huson only used to get 6 kicks a game and he'd 5 goals from that. Then at the end of his career his kicking dropped off and he was getting 5 kicks a game and missing shots and only getting 1 goal, so he had to go.

MOLES
Yes, good. Could be a long-term player.

ROUGHHEAD
Worth further game-time.

GRANT
He should be showing more than he has if he is going to be great. Not good signs at the moment.

EVERITT
Likely to make it.

HILL
Needs a whack around the ears for crooked kicking and dropping easy marks.

HALL
You bloody beauty.

chef
27-02-2010, 07:56 AM

Don't agree, the signs are there that he'll make it. Hall coming to us will be great for Grant.

Bulldog Revolution
27-02-2010, 08:38 AM
From tonight's game

Hop back into bed and get out the other side JC

You're in need of a dose of half is glass full ;)

Templeton31
27-02-2010, 08:55 AM
From tonight's game

geeze JC - I reckon if we win the flag you'll complain we didnt win it well enough. Perhaps you should change your nick to Danny From Droop Street? ;)

Stefcep
27-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks.

They do, probably a thing I've noticed over the past 12 months. Quite a good shot for goal but he struggles to kick them from the tighter angles. They can be a little tricky, but with the correct technique and concentration they shouldn't be hard to nail with drop punts.

Probably something he'd want to correct as he takes quite a few marks in the pockets that require him to kick from those sorts of angles.

his technique is wrong in that as he's about to kick he lifts the ball up nearly horizontal in one hand (his right) then uses the same one hand to push the point of the ball vertically downwards on his boot, If the point of the ball is not vertical, he doesn't strike the ball centrally and the kick ends up going off to one side sharply. He should just be dropping the ball vertically down with both hands ie watch Acker.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-02-2010, 11:55 AM
geeze JC - I reckon if we win the flag you'll complain we didnt win it well enough. Perhaps you should change your nick to Danny From Droop Street? ;)

Careful!

BornInDroopSt'54
27-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Acker has short levers so less lateral movement. He has a low centre of gravity so easier to stay balanced. Hill has longer levers and didn't look balanced as he went in to kick. He normally has sublime balance so the problem is in the head or the nerves.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-02-2010, 12:01 PM
his technique is wrong in that as he's about to kick he lifts the ball up nearly horizontal in one hand (his right) then uses the same one hand to push the point of the ball vertically downwards on his boot, If the point of the ball is not vertical, he doesn't strike the ball centrally and the kick ends up going off to one side sharply. He should just be dropping the ball vertically down with both hands ie watch Acker.

Acker has short levers so less lateral movement. He has a low centre of gravity so easier to stay balanced. Hill has longer levers and didn't look balanced as he went in to kick. He normally has sublime balance so the problem is in the head or the nerves.

BulldogBelle
27-02-2010, 12:37 PM

Haha - I was thinking the same thing. I've never seen so many careers hinging on a NAB cup game in my entire life.

LongWait
27-02-2010, 01:15 PM
I was reminded again watching last night's game that our older players set such a great example for our kids. The pressure, attack on the footy unselfishness and workrate of Hudson, Gia, Hall, Hargreave, Aker etc is first rate. Kudos to the coaching staff and Rocket in particular for transforming us from a soft, outside team - now we are Bullies by name and bullies by nature!

How could Roughead do anything other than throw himself into the contest when his partner for the night is Ben Hudson. The bearded one sets a great example. Had Roughie been paired up for the night with Josh Fraser....

Only a practice match I know, but the way we went about it last night and against Brisbane is very pleasing and sets a standard for our young players that can only benefit their development.

Nice feeling to be a bullies supporter right now.

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm not so sure about Eagleton. He was dropping some easy marks as he was doing last season. Hope he can get over his jitters before round 1

mighty_west
27-02-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm not so sure about Eagleton. He was dropping some easy marks as he was doing last season. Hope he can get over his jitters before round 1

He couldn't walk 4 weeks ago, first hit out, was always going to be rusty.

cinder
27-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Really happy with the win, and so refreshing to have a 'power' forward to kick to! And as others have said, Hall did a lot more than just kick goals. It was just a positive presence to have down there. Should be an interesting (and hopefully successful) season!

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Impressed by Moles' game last night..hope we get to see more of him and get him off that rookie list asap.

dog town
27-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Highlight for me was the pressure and tackling/defensive mentality our team had. You could see they were almost enjoying hunting opportunities to pinch the ball back off the hawks when they had possession. Our defensive work off the ball to close down options was equally as good as our tackling.

Was also impressed with the slickness of some of our hands work in close. We over used it for parts of the game but we did some really nice work coming out of traffic at times. The over use tends to creep in any time you get off to a start like that.

You cant be anything but pleased with the way Hall went but you just want the boys and coaching staff to realise we need to keep that even spread of goal kickers and options.

I took a fair bit of interest in the Lake and Buddy match up when they were opposed to each other. Brian looked pretty comfortable IMO. Well and truly knows his game now.

Cooney looks very fit by his standards. Got quite a bit of it surging through defensive 50 or half back which is always a good way to gauge work rate for a midfielder.

azabob
27-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Hahn looked extremely fit - Can't recall him being that lean for a very very long time. Perhaps he could roam more between forward, midfield and defence.

Moles got enough of it in tight, but not sure on his ball use and hitting the target by hand or foot.
If we do elevate him not sure were he'd play. Be surprised if we could have him, Ward, Cross, Boyd and Picken in the same team.

One major plus from the game is we are still hungry and tackled hard and strong. Hopefully we step it up another level in round one.

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Just home from the game and we were all commenting about this. The likeness is damn scary.
Glad to hear you say that. I said it at the footy and people with me said no, but I thought a lot like Dimma, the way he moves and not unlike him in looks as well.

GVGjr
27-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Impressed by Moles' game last night..hope we get to see more of him and get him off that rookie list asap.

You would have to think that the club is kicking themselves (not too hard) about not selecting him in the National draft. Hindsight is such a great thing :)

He wouldn't have put a thing wrong so far and has really been impressive at the few training sessions and games I have seen.
The Cats must have a strong list not to find a spot for him.

Doc26
27-02-2010, 05:55 PM
The Cats must have a strong list not to find a spot for him.

Onball riches a plenty at the cattery over recent years and to think a guy like Prismall couldn't break in either although was no doubt as much related to their salary cap issues.

Rocco Jones
27-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Highlight for me was the pressure and tackling/defensive mentality our team had. You could see they were almost enjoying hunting opportunities to pinch the ball back off the hawks when they had possession. Our defensive work off the ball to close down options was equally as good as our tackling.

Was also impressed with the slickness of some of our hands work in close. We over used it for parts of the game but we did some really nice work coming out of traffic at times. The over use tends to creep in any time you get off to a start like that.

You cant be anything but pleased with the way Hall went but you just want the boys and coaching staff to realise we need to keep that even spread of goal kickers and options.

I took a fair bit of interest in the Lake and Buddy match up when they were opposed to each other. Brian looked pretty comfortable IMO. Well and truly knows his game now.

Cooney looks very fit by his standards. Got quite a bit of it surging through defensive 50 or half back which is always a good way to gauge work rate for a midfielder.

Spot on. Our defensive pressure and hands in close were great. I really love our quick hands, amazing how much space we can open up in traffic.

Got on Cooney @ $51 to win the Brownlow.

Doc26
27-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Got on Cooney @ $51 to win the Brownlow.

They're impressive odds for a proven vote getter, who's had a solid pre season and who still has plenty of upside.

Rocco Jones
27-02-2010, 06:12 PM
They're impressive odds for a proven vote getter, who's had a solid pre season and who still has plenty of upside.

I got on him at $101 in 2008.

boydogs
27-02-2010, 07:23 PM
From tonight's game

ADDISON
Poor skills. Not in the best 22. Think about delisting him at the end of the year. Lots of courage blah blah blah, but otherwise not much chop.

GILBEE
Has missed many shots at goal from outside 50 lately, that were the result of a quick kick from a give-off. His kicking has deteriorated. Accurate kicking is Gilbee's forte! Remember Paul Huson only used to get 6 kicks a game and he'd 5 goals from that. Then at the end of his career his kicking dropped off and he was getting 5 kicks a game and missing shots and only getting 1 goal, so he had to go.

HILL
Needs a whack around the ears for crooked kicking and dropping easy marks.

Skills are not going to be great at this stage of the year, I would give these guys a break

STACK
Showed nothing good. Poor actually. Why does anybody think he is any good. Has looked hopeless in every game that I've seen him in. Looks like a dud.

You may be forgetting his 4 goal game from last year. Just has trouble getting into the play. Not ready yet, but still something to work with and develop here

GRANT
He should be showing more than he has if he is going to be great. Not good signs at the moment.

Still lacking a lot of strength - does not put his body on the line and rushes his disposal in fear of getting crunched. Not ready, but not a write off

The Bulldogs Bite
27-02-2010, 07:36 PM
In terms of the Hawks, if they are pinning any kind of KPD hopes on Gibson then they're in huge trouble.

Despite having so many players out, their defense is only going to weaken with Hodge being moved up the field.

I still think they're a strong chance to finish top four. Basing any kind of opinion around a NAB Cup game would be silly, but they need to employ another tactical defensive plan if they're going to curb the good forward lines in the competition.

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 08:16 PM
gogriff.

I understand that, but he was doing a quite a bit last season

boydogs
28-02-2010, 01:14 AM
gogriff.

I understand that, but he was doing a quite a bit last season

Fair enough, as you said hopefully he improves by the time the real stuff starts

Mofra
28-02-2010, 04:39 PM
He's never been good overhead; his forte is his running capacity and I think at this stage of his career he needs to just play to his strengths; running the ball on a fast turnover, and using his left foot when the opposition have zoned up.

Mofra
28-02-2010, 04:41 PM
In terms of the Hawks, if they are pinning any kind of KPD hopes on Gibson then they're in huge trouble.

I'd expect Gilham would be first choice to take Hall during the season proper, with Shoenmakers next in line. Gibson has had more mileage out of his one good game on Buddy than Skipper did with his 5 goal effort aginst Geelong a few years back.

ledge
28-02-2010, 05:24 PM
I'd expect Gilham would be first choice to take Hall during the season proper, with Shoenmakers next in line. Gibson has had more mileage out of his one good game on Buddy than Skipper did with his 5 goal effort aginst Geelong a few years back.

Might have been a bad career move, the only player he had a good game on, he went and joined that team!

Sockeye Salmon
28-02-2010, 09:46 PM

Hawks supporters were adding Gilham to the list of superstars they were missing but I heard he was available, just not selected.

Ozza
02-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Might have been a bad career move, the only player he had a good game on, he went and joined that team!

Gibson is a complete imposter. So glad to see Bazza tear him to shreds and deflate some Hawks supporters.

Mofra
02-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Hawks supporters were adding Gilham to the list of superstars they were missing but I heard he was available, just not selected.
If so, would that be to find out about their list & give others a go? I don't think it could be on form, he's still regarded as being an essential component of their back 6.

I stiull think the Hawks are vulnerable in defence until Shoenmakers develops.

Rocco Jones
02-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Gibson is a complete imposter. So glad to see Bazza tear him to shreds and deflate some Hawks supporters.

Gibson is a good player with great expectations.

mjp
02-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Hall played well.

In (somewhat) fairness to Gibson he did kind of get jumped in the first q and Hall had 4 next too his name in about 12 minutes of game time. The remainder of the game wasn't toooo bad...

This could mean something, could mean nothing I guess...but I couldn't imagine anyone kicking 4 on Morris in such a short time-frame.

Rocco Jones
02-03-2010, 07:43 PM
This could mean something, could mean nothing I guess...but I couldn't imagine anyone kicking 4 on Morris in such a short time-frame.

It's a good point. I was going to mention that I see Gibson as a poor man's Morris. Morris is a gun medium/tall defender and Gibson is a good one.

I think a lot of the criticism Gibson gets are more about his expectations and profile rather than his actual ability. He is in the media a fair bit, left North and Hawks see him as somewhat of a defensive saviour.

ledge
02-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Personally I dont think Gibson is a fullback, more like a run off type, too small to be a KPP.
He cant show his stuff following a Full forward around being second to the ball.

Hot_Doggies
02-03-2010, 09:34 PM
2/3rd's of the earths surface is covered by water.

The rest is covered by Dale Morris!!

jazzadogs
03-03-2010, 02:15 PM
2/3rd's of the earths surface is covered by water.

The rest is covered by Dale Morris!!
It sounds like the remnants of a Chuck Norris joke...but not even Chuck Norris could get away from Dale Morris.

Twodogs
03-03-2010, 03:16 PM
In (somewhat) fairness to Gibson he did kind of get jumped in the first q and Hall had 4 next too his name in about 12 minutes of game time. The remainder of the game wasn't toooo bad...

Hall went off the ground and put the netball bib on halfway through the third quarter though. I cant remember who Gibson's opponent was after that.

chef
03-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Hall went off the ground and put the netball bib on halfway through the third quarter though. I cant remember who Gibson's opponent was after that.

I think it was Gia.