PDA

View Full Version : Adam Cooney: I'm too left-field to be skipper

The Coon Dog
15-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Mark Stevens - Herald Sun - 16 February

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2010/02/15/1225830/683159-adam-cooney.jpg

BROWNLOW medallist Adam Cooney has been added to the Western Bulldogs leadership group as the club embarks on a mission to unearth its next skipper.

With Brad Johnson possibly entering his final campaign, the Bulldogs will go through the season without a vice-captain, leaving the race to replace him wide open.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/im-too-left-field-to-be-skipper-adam-cooney/story-e6frf9jf-1225830682604)

GVGjr
15-02-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm obviously an outsider looking in and I don't see all the behind the scenes inter reactions that occur but I think there are better candidates at the club to be in the leadership group than Cooney and I certainly don't see him as a potential captain of the club. He's an undeniable talent but he just doesn't exhibit the right qualities that good leaders do.
To me, he would rather be one of the boys than one of the leaders.

LostDoggy
16-02-2010, 12:37 AM
I'm obviously an outsider looking in and I don't see all the behind the scenes inter reactions that occur but I think there are better candidates at the club to be in the leadership group than Cooney and I certainly don't see him as a potential captain of the club. He's an undeniable talent but he just doesn't exhibit the right qualities that good leaders do.

Who do you reckon would be better? I agree that there is others there that would maybe do a better job but i reckon its good to have someone a bit "different" in the leadership group.

GVGjr
16-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Who do you reckon would be better? I agree that there is others there that would maybe do a better job but i reckon its good to have someone a bit "different" in the leadership group.

Robert Murphy fits that bill nicely.

Giansiracusa, Cross, Body, Murphy, Higgins, Morris and Minson would be my preferences.

LostDoggy
16-02-2010, 09:05 AM

Giansiracusa, Cross, Body, Murphy, Higgins, Morris and Minson would be my preferences.

Point taken about Murphy. So you would prefer Minson in the leadership group over Cooney? With not being apart of the inner sanctum my personal preference would be Cooney but i dont think there would be much between them.

Go_Dogs
16-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Ryan Griffen's name never seems to get mentioned much.

I know he is widely regarded as being a pretty quiet and reserved bloke, but he's certainly someone who has stood up in big pressure games on the field - which is something I'd want our next captain to be able to do, just as Johnno has done.

LostDoggy
16-02-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't think you need to look past Gia, Cross or Boyd.
One of those 3, or 2 even, would be perfect.

LostDoggy
16-02-2010, 12:19 PM

From the sounds of it, it looks like something that has been done more to lift Coons's game on the field (give him the extra responsibility and see how he stands up to it) than for his specific leadership skills. I guess with leadership groups being as big as they are these days you can chuck a couple of guys in there for their own professional development rather than to actually 'lead' as such.

LostDoggy
16-02-2010, 03:05 PM
I'd like to see the next captain be one of - Higgins, Boyd, Murphy.

As Cooney has stated I don't think that he is the type of guy who could captain a club. It's just not him.

mighty_west
16-02-2010, 04:02 PM
The positive i see is that we have quite a few players that could easily take over the captaincy when Johnno retires, the names being mentioned are all worthy candidates - Boyd, Murphy, Gia, Cross, Higgins, Morris.

Which puts us in a great position going forward, having quite a few players with genuine leadership skills.

Agree with everyone that Coons probably isn't the type to captain a side, but a very happy about him being added to the leadership group.

comrade
16-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Would being in a leadership group make it harder to leave a club for more money?

LostDoggy
16-02-2010, 05:58 PM
The positive i see is that we have quite a few players that could easily take over the captaincy when Johnno retires, the names being mentioned are all worthy candidates - Boyd, Murphy, Gia, Cross, Higgins, Morris.

Which puts us in a great position going forward, having quite a few players with genuine leadership skills.

Agree with everyone that Coons probably isn't the type to captain a side, but a very happy about him being added to the leadership group.

There are a number of candidates but I don't rank Boyd as one.

Good player but fair dinkum he has had a charisma bypass. Never seen him laugh or smile. There is more than leadership on the field in the Captain's role. He has to represent the club and present the right picture.

Image is important in order to attract Members and Sponsors. Boyd looks like he has just stepped out of a horror movie

GVGjr
16-02-2010, 06:26 PM
So you would prefer Minson in the leadership group over Cooney? With not being apart of the inner sanctum my personal preference would be Cooney but i dont think there would be much between them.

Sure would and by a fair margin. At the recent intra club game Will was watching from the boundary line and every time a media person or former club player entered that area Will talked to them and made them feel welcome. I've seen Cooney at a couple of club functions and he isn't that accommodating.

Rocco Jones
16-02-2010, 07:08 PM
What makes a good captain:
- Having enough quality to be ensured of a spot in the side. Being in the top 10 or so also would really help gain respect etc.
- Tough/strong work ethic which helps set positive expectations/culture.
- Having a 'voice'/being willing to pull a mate into line etc.

The added elements that come with professionalism:
- Media skills/charisma
- Clean record/good reputation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being 'left field' probably doesn't help you in being a captain considering all the macho crap that gets you respect from masses of men but I think Cooney is actually using it in place of 'relaxed' in this instance.

I don't think Cooney has a bad attitude to footy, I actually believe he works quiet hard but in comparison to elite footballers/attitude to footy, he seems a little relaxed in the day to day going ons. Come finals or the 4 qtr in a close game, I back Cooney to lift and work hard but he is the type of guy who finds an intra club or NAB cup game boring.

FWIW my captain order for 2011 would go.
1- Higgins (although I am concerned about his injuries)
2- Giansiracusa (good in media, experienced player, great work ethic towards traing etc but concerned about his aging body and doubts over his on field performances being 'captain' like)
3- Boyd (lack of a personality hurts)

chef
16-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Sure would and by a fair margin.

Me too.

mighty_west
16-02-2010, 07:23 PM
There are a number of candidates but I don't rank Boyd as one.

Good player but fair dinkum he has had a charisma bypass. Never seen him laugh or smile. There is more than leadership on the field in the Captain's role. He has to represent the club and present the right picture.

Image is important in order to attract Members and Sponsors. Boyd looks like he has just stepped out of a horror movie

I like Boyd as a leader around the club, and i definatly rank him right up there, i agree about his lack of charisma, but he ticks all other boxes, to me, he seems the type that players would stand alongside, i don't think anyone could knock his work rate on & off the field, probably very similar i guess to Steve Waugh, very professional, you'd walk alongside him in War, but a zero charisma.

I guess these days with interviews etc, obviously Rocket is the main man, but it's not just up to Johnno, alot of other players do get out there with regards to the media work and help selling the club, and i couldn't see why that wouldn't work if Boyd was given the top job.

Mantis
16-02-2010, 07:35 PM
I guess these days with interviews etc, obviously Rocket is the main man, but it's not just up to Johnno, alot of other players do get out there with regards to the media work and help selling the club, and i couldn't see why that wouldn't work if Boyd was given the top job.

Agree with that.

Johnno is hardly the face of the club these days and is well behind the likes of Cooney, Aker & Murphy in terms of the amount of media work that he does.

The Adelaide Connection
17-02-2010, 12:31 AM

Would the fact that he is out of contract at the end of the year helped to make their decision?

GVGjr
17-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Would the fact that he is out of contract at the end of the year helped to make their decision?

You would hope not.

Swoop
17-02-2010, 10:12 AM
The article alludes to the leadership issue being raised in 2008 after his Brownlow medal year so it would appear he has been in consideration for some time pending his willingness to commit. I think it shows good maturity on Cooney's behalf to have declined the offer as he didn't believe he was ready at the time.

With regards to leadership perhaps he doesn't realise it and no doubt he doesn't have same intensity and voice as other such as Boyd & Giansiracusa but within the group there is no doubt he is a leader and players look up to him. With a list of 40 players naturally team mates will form groups within that based on characteristics and personalities and my understanding is that Cooney can be and is fairly influential within his group and is admired throughout. His comments are realistic and fairly true in that he won't be considered for captaincy but he needs to change his own perception of himself as I think he undersells what he can bring to the group.

Mantis
17-02-2010, 10:32 AM
With regards to leadership perhaps he doesn't realise it and no doubt he doesn't have same intensity and voice as other such as Boyd & Giansiracusa but within the group there is no doubt he is a leader and players look up to him. With a list of 40 players naturally team mates will form groups within that based on characteristics and personalities and my understanding is that Cooney can be and is fairly influential within his group and is admired throughout. His comments are realistic and fairly true in that he won't be considered for captaincy but he needs to change his own perception of himself as I think he undersells what he can bring to the group.

Agree with that Swoop.

A huge factor in discussion on leadership is ones ability to lift his side when required. I think we saw on Sunday (abit only in a 'NAB' Cup game) that Cooney certainly has the ability to lift the team as evidenced by his 3rd qtr.

With leadership groups ever exapnding I think it's a good policy to have different personality types involved. From the outside it seems that Johnson, Boyd, Cross, Gia and Morris would be very 'intense' types and perhaps at times a young player might not feel comfortable opening up to them with their concerns. However with Cooney and Murf appearing to be far more 'laidback' characters it may mean the young guys feel more at ease with them and are more than happy to share their thoughts or queries.

LostDoggy
17-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Sure would and by a fair margin. At the recent intra club game Will was watching from the boundary line and every time a media person or former club player entered that area Will talked to them and made them feel welcome. I've seen Cooney at a couple of club functions and he isn't that accommodating.

Me too.

To me the value of a leader is more evident off the field than on the field. I would trust what you two know about the players off field over what i know.

bornadog
17-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Eade mentioned today that Adam has many leadership qualities and the club is confident he will fill do justice to the role

GVGjr
17-02-2010, 07:18 PM
With leadership groups ever exapnding I think it's a good policy to have different personality types involved. From the outside it seems that Johnson, Boyd, Cross, Gia and Morris would be very 'intense' types and perhaps at times a young player might not feel comfortable opening up to them with their concerns. However with Cooney and Murf appearing to be far more 'laidback' characters it may mean the young guys feel more at ease with them and are more than happy to share their thoughts or queries.

Cooney is the sort of guy his team mates would want on the party planning committee or organising the end of season footy trip but I don't think he has the right temperament for making big decisions.
You don't need both Murphy and Cooney as leaders and for mine Bobby is a far better fit for the club.

comrade
17-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Cooney is the sort of guy his team mates would want on the party planning committee or organising the end of season footy trip but I don't think he has the right temperament for making big decisions.
You don't need both Murphy and Cooney as leaders and for mine Bobby is a far better fit for the club.

GVG, I'd be interested to know why your thoughts on the matter are in such stark contrast to the Club's (and coach).

Is it something that you've witnessed first hand?

GVGjr
17-02-2010, 11:27 PM
GVG, I'd be interested to know why your thoughts on the matter are in such stark contrast to the Club's (and coach).

Is it something that you've witnessed first hand?

Not really. I mentioned in my first response I'm obviously not privy to the day to day workings of the club and in particular how Cooney goes about things but from the few times I have been to functions he strikes me as more of an individual than necessarily being a club first man. For some reason he reminds me a bit of Nathan Brown who I admired as a footballer but never thought he should be a leader at the club.

The clubs obviously in a far better position to gauge his value but I would be surprised if he clearly better than some of the guys I have already mentioned. By his own admissions he's very left of field and I'd probably prefer some of the other guys to be in the leadership group.

If the club thinks he will respond in a positive way by promoting him then that would be great for him and the club.

AndrewP6
17-02-2010, 11:38 PM
For some reason he reminds me a bit of Nathan Brown who I admired as a footballer but never thought he should be a leader at the club.

If the club thinks he will respond in a positive way then that would be great for him and the club.

God, I hope he doesn't end up like Brown... ;)

FWIW, I agree that Cooney isn't necessarily the best fit for a captain's role. Love him powering away from the pack with the pill under his arm though.

mjp
18-02-2010, 12:50 AM
If he is a centre of influence in the playing group then he is a leader, whether he likes it or not. Whether or not he best embodies the core values agreed too by the side and is officially recognised is kind of irrelevant. If the players continually look to you for an example/direction/whatever, you are one of the leaders.

This is what amazes me about the whole 'I just want to concentrate on my footy' song played by aging skippers who try to step down from the leadership group...they DONT get to choose whether or not they are leaders in the club - the rest of the group do. Step down as skipper, leave the leadership group, do whatever you want - but if everyone still looks to you and your opinion/actions carry weight...well, guess what? You had better stay part of the official structure in some way so that there is a unified player leadership group - because when things go wrong (and they will at some stage) that is what you need.

LostDoggy
18-02-2010, 11:11 AM
I think Robert Murphy should be our next captain. :)

Rocket Science
18-02-2010, 01:24 PM
To what extent might the club be using the prospect of captaincy to strengthen Cooney's sense of commitment to the place and help dissuade him from the temptations of the Gold Coast?

GVGjr
18-02-2010, 06:47 PM
To what extent might the club be using the prospect of captaincy to strengthen Cooney's sense of commitment to the place and help dissuade him from the temptations of the Gold Coast?

Possible but I wouldn't think the lure of being in the leadership group would be that strong.

azabob
18-02-2010, 11:00 PM

A few people have mentioned this.

Wasn't Judd captain of a club and left.

If you want to go you will go regardless of your role within the club.

LostDoggy
20-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Has anyone thought of Lakey? He is always leading his troops in the backline, directing them, and leads by example. Plus he resigned for 4 yrs so as to be a 1 team player

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-02-2010, 12:27 PM

The two obvious choices would have to be Boyd and Morris. Higgins simply isn't ready.
Constant injuries would rule Murphy out of the equation. Gia lacks a lot in key games and doesn't possess the grit and determination of Boyd or Morris. Minson is simply too inconsistent to be considered. Cross is Cross ,great courage, but lacking real class.

Swoop
20-02-2010, 12:58 PM
What if Higgins has an injury free season and plays all 22 games this year and stamps himself as one of the games better midfielders? Would this change people's opinions of him as captaincy material?

I have heard Scott West speak very highly of him previously and I recall reading Paul Kelly's book where he and Ron Barrassi spoke about Kelly being thrown into the captaincy perhaps while he was too young but they were confident he could grow into the role. All of this was possible because they had senior players around him who could support, encourage and assist him develop into the role. I know it's not exactly the same situation but Higgins is highly rated and we do have many players in the 27-30 player category who could support him and develop into the role. He is one of the few who seems able to tick both boxes of leadership and marketability.

Sockeye Salmon
20-02-2010, 02:27 PM
It's not a best player or most popular competition.

Gia should be a certainty.

LostDoggy
21-02-2010, 09:49 PM
For some reason he reminds me a bit of Nathan Brown who I admired as a footballer but never thought he should be a leader at the club.

GVGjr - Sorry, but I don't agree with this? IMO, Cooney is yet to reach his full potential. I just don't see him as fully matured. He will always be left of centre, but that's okay, quirky is good. Browny was just arrogant, and I don't see that in Cooney (not that I know him personally). As for our next captain, I'm probably leaning more towards Gia :)

GVGjr
21-02-2010, 10:16 PM
GVGjr - Sorry, but I don't agree with this? IMO, Cooney is yet to reach his full potential. I just don't see him as fully matured. He will always be left of centre, but that's okay, quirky is good. Browny was just arrogant, and I don't see that in Cooney (not that I know him personally). As for our next captain, I'm probably leaning more towards Gia :)

No problems. To me Browny never grew up and I'm currently not seeing the maturing of Cooney either. I'd have to agree that Cooney isn't arrogant.

chef
22-02-2010, 08:49 AM
No problems. To me Browny never grew up and I'm currently not seeing the maturing of Cooney either. I'd have to agree that Cooney isn't arrogant.

Raising someone else's child as your own seems pretty mature to me(from a young age too). He is just a little bit different IMO.

KT31
24-02-2010, 12:27 AM

Don't disagree with the Browny analogy but would disagree with the Cooney one, it takes a bloke with maturity to admit and realise that the captaincy isn't for them.

azabob
18-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Was very impressed with him on gameday last night. Spoke very well and looked at ease with it all.

bornadog
18-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Was very impressed with him on gameday last night. Spoke very well and looked at ease with it all.

My choice for Captain.