PDA

View Full Version : Gold diggers dogging Adam Cooney

The Coon Dog
16-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Mark Stevens - Herald Sun - 16 February

THERE is a Brownlow medallist out of contract at the end of this season . . . and his name is not Gary Ablett.

Adam Cooney, the 2008 winner, is yet to sign an extension as Gold Coast hovers in the background, keen to land uncontracted stars for 2011.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gold-diggers-dogging-adam-cooney/story-e6frf9jf-1225830728693)

chef
16-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Can't help feeling that we are going to lose one of Cooney or Griffen.

Go_Dogs
16-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Can't help feeling that we are going to lose one of Cooney or Griffen.

I must say I'm becoming less concerned that we will lose a big name youngster like Cooney or Griffen. I just don't think it will happen. Our on-field success and the camaraderie of the team seems to indicate to me that the group is very tight.

If I were GC, I'd be looking at someone like Deledio - under-performing player at an under-performing club, but certainly one of the most talented and versatile blokes running around.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-02-2010, 02:52 PM
I must say I'm becoming less concerned that we will lose a big name youngster like Cooney or Griffen. I just don't think it will happen. Our on-field success and the camaraderie of the team seems to indicate to me that the group is very tight.

If I were GC, I'd be looking at someone like Deledio - under-performing player at an under-performing club, but certainly one of the most talented and versatile blokes running around.

Agree Griff.

Good point about Deledio too. I was a little surprised he re-signed because he's pretty harshly judged over there. Whilst it might be rightfully so, they really do get stuck into him a bit. I could see him star at a more successful club and surely he must know that too.

Rumours about Cotchin possibly heading to GC. Take it with a grain of salt, but TBH I don't think Cotchin has proven anything yet. Been injury prone, but aside from a few glimpses hasn't really delivered either.

LostDoggy
16-02-2010, 04:04 PM
I hope we don't lose any players to GC but if we lost a player like Cooney does anyone know what draft picks we'd receive as compensation? I guess we'd be screwed either way because you'd be losing an elite player for a player with potential who needs to develop.

EasternWest
16-02-2010, 04:30 PM
I hope we don't lose any players to GC but if we lost a player like Cooney does anyone know what draft picks we'd receive as compensation? I guess we'd be screwed either way because you'd be losing an elite player for a player with potential who needs to develop.

I was under the impression that if he is not contracted with us and chooses to leave we get zip. But I stand to be corrected.

The Coon Dog
16-02-2010, 04:56 PM
I was under the impression that if he is not contracted with us and chooses to leave we get zip. But I stand to be corrected.

Draft Info - GC17 (http://www.afldraftinfo.com/2009/04/gc17.html)

Compensation picks (other 16 clubs)

> Any club that loses a player to GC17 is eligible for a compensation pick
> Compensation picks can be used any time within the next 5 years
> Clubs mus nominate the year which they plan to use the compensation pick prior to the first round of that season
> Compensation picks are assessed around (younger players weighted more favourably), club contract ranking (key players weighted more favourably), on field performance (strong best and fairest performances are weighed more favourably) and draft position (if player has less than four years experience)
> Assessment will deem whether the club is eligible for a compensatory pick in one of 5 spots - 1st round pick (taken immediately after the clubs existing 1st round pick), end of first round pick, second round pick (taken immediately after the clubs exisisting 2nd round pick), end of second round pick and third round pick (taken immediately after the clubs existing 3rd round pick).
> 1st round compensation picks can't be used until the end of the 1st and 2nd round in 2010 and 2011
> Compensation picks will be tradeable

comrade
16-02-2010, 05:14 PM
I’d love to ponder about the nature of sport and articulate the inevitability of player movements in an era of massive broadcast rights and competition expansion BUT my thoughts on the matter essentially boil down to this:

GET F***ED GOLD COAST!

Go_Dogs
16-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Rumours about Cotchin possibly heading to GC. Take it with a grain of salt, but TBH I don't think Cotchin has proven anything yet. Been injury prone, but aside from a few glimpses hasn't really delivered either.

Interesting regarding Cotchin. I actually think he's going to become a pretty good player, he seems to have all the tools. Like you say, he hasn't proven anything yet - but he's certainly the type of prospect they'll be looking at. Potential A-grader, whose not quite there yet.

Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds at Richmond this year - players that never seemed to reach their development potential under Wallace may do so under Hardwick, much like some of our guys did once Eade took the helm.

FrediKanoute
17-02-2010, 04:50 AM
Who knows why a player would leave his existing club. Money is only part of the equation and God knows that these guys get paid a fortune anyway. All I ask of Cooney is that when he makes the decision he makes it early and doesn't hold the club over a barrel.

Swoop
17-02-2010, 10:28 AM
To some extent I understand why a footballer would leave for money, they are only in their career for a short period of time and they need to maximise their returns. In many situations clubs are prepared to end a players career without a second thought and we are told that it is a cut throat business but as soon as a player looks after his own best interests there is a certain stigma involved and arguably his reputation is tainted. It is a highly demandning job, highly stressful and while the highs are unbelievable likewise the lows are also part of package.

From a Bulldog perspective I would hope that the lure of success and club culture is strong enough to make players committ and stay at our great club but I wouldn't hold it against anyone for wanting to leave in order to ensure they have financial security for their family in the many years to come after the AFL has forgotten them.

LostDoggy
17-02-2010, 11:10 AM
I’d love to ponder about the nature of sport and articulate the inevitability of player movements in an era of massive broadcast rights and competition expansion BUT my thoughts on the matter essentially boil down to this:

GET F***ED GOLD COAST!

Haha was just about to post almost exactly the same thing, except that my phrase had the word 'off' in it somewhere. Made me smile. :)

EasternWest
17-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Draft Info - GC17 (http://www.afldraftinfo.com/2009/04/gc17.html)

Compensation picks (other 16 clubs)

> Any club that loses a player to GC17 is eligible for a compensation pick
> Compensation picks can be used any time within the next 5 years
> Clubs mus nominate the year which they plan to use the compensation pick prior to the first round of that season
> Compensation picks are assessed around (younger players weighted more favourably), club contract ranking (key players weighted more favourably), on field performance (strong best and fairest performances are weighed more favourably) and draft position (if player has less than four years experience)
> Assessment will deem whether the club is eligible for a compensatory pick in one of 5 spots - 1st round pick (taken immediately after the clubs existing 1st round pick), end of first round pick, second round pick (taken immediately after the clubs exisisting 2nd round pick), end of second round pick and third round pick (taken immediately after the clubs existing 3rd round pick).
> 1st round compensation picks can't be used until the end of the 1st and 2nd round in 2010 and 2011
> Compensation picks will be tradeable

I stand corrected! Thanks TCD.:D

The Coon Dog
17-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Interesting scenario I'll throw at you.

Firstly, everyone is under the assumption that clubs can only lose 1 player to GC17.

Now, let's use Collingwood as an example.

Say Alan Didak elects to sign with GC17. As a result Collingwood are compensated to some degree.

Lets say Scott Pendlebury comes out of contract & elects not to re-sign with Collingwood. What are his options?

He has a few, one of those being to do as Luke Ball did & nominate for the National Draft, where GC17 have picks 1,2 & 3.

Now, if we translate Didak & Pendlebury for Cooney & Griffen.......

Scary huh? :eek:

Mantis
17-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Interesting scenario I'll throw at you.

Firstly, everyone is under the assumption that clubs can only lose 1 player to GC17.

Now, let's use Collingwood as an example.

Say Alan Didak elects to sign with GC17. As a result Collingwood are compensated to some degree.

Lets say Scott Pendlebury comes out of contract & elects not to re-sign with Collingwood. What are his options?

He has a few, one of those being to do as Luke Ball did & nominate for the National Draft, where GC17 have picks 1,2 & 3.

Now, if we translate Didak & Pendlebury for Cooney & Griffen.......

Scary huh? :eek:

Who determines the level of compensation?

Go_Dogs
17-02-2010, 07:29 PM

Is it not based on the formula, or was that specifically for un-contracted players?

chef
17-02-2010, 07:33 PM

There is a panel of experts(I am sure TCD knows who's on it).

The Coon Dog
17-02-2010, 08:31 PM

Kevin Bartlett & Adrian Anderson, they seem to be on every other panel.

Seriously, I don't know!