PDA

View Full Version : Harbrow to the GC?.

chef
18-02-2010, 07:50 AM
Jarrod Harbrow, the elusive rebounding defender who played a major role in turning the game, remains out of contract as speculation mounts he could be headed to the Gold Coast.

Adam Cooney and Ryan Griffen have higher profiles, but Harbrow is believed to be firmly in Gold Coast's sights.

As rumours continue to circle about Campbell Brown and others, there is talk former Queenslander Harbrow has been tempted by the opportunities on offer up north.

Harbrow blossomed last year, rocketing to the fringes of the top 40 players named in an early All-Australian squad.

He was plucked as a rookie selection by former Dogs recruiting manager Scott Clayton, now in charge of building Gold Coast's list.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expect-only-brad-johnson-to-be-missing-from-western-bulldogs-nab-cup-game-with-hawthorn-next-week/story-e6frf9ix-1225831563338

Hope it's not true:(.

GVGjr
18-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Jarrod Harbrow, the elusive rebounding defender who played a major role in turning the game, remains out of contract as speculation mounts he could be headed to the Gold Coast.

Adam Cooney and Ryan Griffen have higher profiles, but Harbrow is believed to be firmly in Gold Coast's sights.

As rumours continue to circle about Campbell Brown and others, there is talk former Queenslander Harbrow has been tempted by the opportunities on offer up north.

Harbrow blossomed last year, rocketing to the fringes of the top 40 players named in an early All-Australian squad.

He was plucked as a rookie selection by former Dogs recruiting manager Scott Clayton, now in charge of building Gold Coast's list.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expect-only-brad-johnson-to-be-missing-from-western-bulldogs-nab-cup-game-with-hawthorn-next-week/story-e6frf9ix-1225831563338

Hope it's not true:(.

There is a fair chance that we will lose someone and we probably won't be happy with anyone who takes up there offer. The one thing we have to combat this is we will provide players with an almost certain finals appearances that the GC side won't be able to match.

Mantis
18-02-2010, 08:41 AM
There is a fair chance that we will lose someone and we probably won't be happy with anyone who takes up there offer. The one thing we have to combat this is we will provide players with an almost certain finals appearances that the GC side won't be able to match.

While playing finals footy is a major attraction so too is cold hard cash. With the allowances that GC have in terms of extra room in their salary cap a players wage could almost double by signing on the dotted line (especially if he is one of the first to sign). Someone is going to take the cash and really who could blame them.

It's going to be an interesting to see how the GC recruiting plays out... and the worst thing is we have to do it all again with GWS coming into the competition shortly after.

stefoid
18-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Hes turning into a gun rebounding defender, but I suppose those types are easier to replace than others. The recruitment of howard, tutt, moles, etc... would soften the blow.

Swoop
18-02-2010, 10:58 AM
I would be shattered losing Harbrow as I love the way he plays football and what he offers to our side especially as he has the potential to become much more than a defender. Having said that considering GC are going to take something losing a back pocket albeit one of the best in the comp is probably the best position as opposed to a starting on-baller. No doubt we will struggle to find someone of the same calibre to repalce Harbrow immediately but it is a position we could develop someone into with time.

It is fair to say that for the remaining 12 months there will be plenty of speculation and innuendo in the media especially with the Bulldogs as it is easy for journalists to link Clayton with all of our players, fingers crossed they all choose loyalty over $$$

ledge
18-02-2010, 11:05 AM
I wonder if Eade has an idea on the players who will go through instinct and has recruited some player this year to replace the one he thinks will go?

jazzadogs
18-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Really would hate for Harbrow to leave. I think he would actually be a fairly hard player to replace. Sure, we can get rebounding defenders, but most rebounding defenders come in the Gilbee 'Run a bit then kick it as far as I can (straight to a teammate)' mould, rather than the Harbrow 'I'll just run as fast as I can around all these players and they won't be able to catch me' mould.

Would be interesting to know how he gets along with the rest of the playing group, as that would have a large impact on any decision to stay or leave.

I think that money, and the fact he was raised (?) in Queensland would be the deciding factors in the end. Hopefully he has a stellar, All Australian year, and GC spend all their money on Gablett so that they can't offer Harbrow the money he believes he deserves.

LostDoggy
18-02-2010, 12:56 PM
I think that money, and the fact he was raised (?) in Queensland would be the deciding factors in the end. .

Lived in Cairns which is still 1400 kilometres from the Gold Coast

jitboy
18-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Lived in Cairns which is still 1400 kilometres from the Gold Coast

Half way closer to home I suppose. Harbrow is one of the players that has shown a lot of improvement. And on field "excitement machines" who can play some consistent football aren't a dime a dozen.

Definitely would be sad to see him go, esp since I wear his jersey to all our games!

AndrewP6
18-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Would be extremely disappointed to see him take the money and run. After our club investing so much time and effort into his development, bringing him up from the rookie list etc, it would be a real blow to see him go north. I really hope he can see around the dollar signs.

LostDoggy
18-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Please don't be true :(

The Underdog
19-02-2010, 12:59 AM
As has been said before, someone will go, it would be naive of us to think that at least one player won't be swayed by money, it's a business after all. However regardless of who or how many, we will survive, continue & prosper.

LostDoggy
19-02-2010, 01:35 AM
I know that Aker isn't on much this year but if both Aker and Johnson are retiring at the end of this season there will have to be some room in the cap to give these types of players some more dosh, right?

divvydan
19-02-2010, 02:50 AM
I know that Aker isn't on much this year but if both Aker and Johnson are retiring at the end of this season there will have to be some room in the cap to give these types of players some more dosh, right?

More yes, especially since Hahn, Gilbee and Hargrave would all be eligible for the veteran's list in 2011 (10+yrs, turning 30 by 30th sept 2011), however, the money that the GC have to throw around would still be significantly more than we could even come close to matching. It could, however, get close enough to at least make someone's decision that much more difficult.

Dazza
19-02-2010, 01:28 PM
I would hate to lose Harbrow one of my favorite players and is developing further into a great player.

choconmientay
19-02-2010, 09:52 PM
omg, I hope this is not true. Last season, he is the X-factor in our game. Something exciting always happen once he got the ball in his hands. He is one of my favorite player.

LostDoggy
19-02-2010, 11:31 PM
More yes, especially since Hahn, Gilbee and Hargrave would all be eligible for the veteran's list in 2011 (10+yrs, turning 30 by 30th sept 2011), however, the money that the GC have to throw around would still be significantly more than we could even come close to matching. It could, however, get close enough to at least make someone's decision that much more difficult.

You would think team success & a possible GF birth, would swing things in our favour, no matter the contract offered.

KT31
20-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Like the rest of you , I would love the three of them to stay.
But if we win this years flag I could deal with losing Harbrow.
There will be lots speculation over the year and the only thing it will accomplish is to disrupt the playing group.
On the other side of the coin I think other teams have a much greater concern than us and it will disrupt them more.

chef
20-02-2010, 07:36 AM
There will be lots speculation over the year and the only thing it will accomplish is to disrupt the playing group.
On the other side of the coin I think other teams have a much greater concern than us and it will disrupt them more.

If we win this years flag I could deal with losing all three:).

ledge
20-02-2010, 11:16 AM

Yep if we win the flag they can take whichever 3 they want!

jazzadogs
20-02-2010, 12:44 PM
So you'd prefer to lose Harbrow over Griffen? I actually think that's a tough choice...if Griff plays consistent football I wouldn't like to lose him (and I'm not saying I think we should try to get rid of him), but he has still not shown an ability to play consistently great football.

chef
20-02-2010, 05:52 PM
So you'd prefer to lose Harbrow over Griffen? I actually think that's a tough choice...if Griff plays consistent football I wouldn't like to lose him (and I'm not saying I think we should try to get rid of him), but he has still not shown an ability to play consistently great football.

I couldn't agree more.

Rocco Jones
20-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Am I correct in believing that GC has the first few picks in both the upcoming national and pre-season drafts? This would mean they are able to sign more than one uncontracted player from each side. Say the get Griffen, Cooney and Harbrow to agree, they can take one as a free agent and the other one/two with their PSD picks.

With our list looking contender like for 2011, GC's pre-season signings will have an enormous affect on our 11 (and beyond) premiership chances, even beyond who which Bulldog they get. Imagine the difference between them signing Cooney, Varcoe, Armitage and Wellingham compared to Everitt, Ablett, Dal Santo and Pendleburry (just examples, not idea if some are signed up). GC signing our main competitors stars while taking a fringe player off us can end up giving us an odd advantage.

KT31
20-02-2010, 07:13 PM

I'm hoping Griff will have a blinder this season and show what he is capable of.
In truth was not much in it for me, but my oldest Pup has idolised Griff since he has been at the club.
Most of us are old enough to know what it is like to lose a favourite player to another club,
so for my pups sake I choose Harbrow.

LostDoggy
20-02-2010, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=Rocco Jones;137337]Am I correct in believing that GC has the first few picks in both the upcoming national and pre-season drafts? This would mean they are able to sign more than one uncontracted player from each side. Say the get Griffen, Cooney and Harbrow to agree, they can take one as a free agent and the other one/two with their PSD picks.

Do you want to start a War!

Hotdog60
20-02-2010, 07:23 PM
All this talk about losing players is being to sux big time, after the GC team does it's raping and pillaging we then have WS to contend with.
My biggest concern is that after all the hard work getting us to a profitable and competitive team and because of that hard work we have desirable players that could be taken and set us back to where we were a few years ago.

bulldogsfight
21-02-2010, 12:11 PM
I just heard Josh Hill is the GC target

always right
21-02-2010, 12:17 PM
cough...Dynasty?

Sockeye Salmon
21-02-2010, 03:23 PM

That would be a much better result than Cooney, Griffen or Harbrow.

hujsh
21-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Yep if we win the flag they can take whichever 3 they want!

If we win the flag I want it to be the start to us winning even more. I don't want there to be another 56 year gap for the sake of the club.

LostDoggy
21-02-2010, 07:26 PM

I couldn't. What about the 3-peat?

chef
22-02-2010, 08:29 AM
If we win the flag I want it to be the start to us winning even more. I don't want there to be another 56 year gap for the sake of the club.

I couldn't. What about the 3-peat?

I'm not that greedy.

stefoid
22-02-2010, 12:07 PM

where did you hear that?

It makes some kind of sense - talented young fringe players who could walk into a new sides best 22 and earn more than they are 'worth'.

On that basis, guys like Sam Reid, Everitt and Hill.

hujsh
23-02-2010, 12:38 AM
I'm not that greedy.

Greedy? It's been a 56 year drought. It'd be good to sit in the rain.

Even for the potential memberships it brings the club.

LostDoggy
23-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Really annoys me when they start talking about players leaving before the new season has even begun. So much of this stuff is just made up by the media. They love to speculate and start rumours.

Doc26
24-02-2010, 12:08 AM
I suspect by season end that no listed player coming out of contract would've been spared by the journos and if you happen to come from north of the border it will soon become framed as a done deal.

KT31
24-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Really annoys me when they start talking about players leaving before the new season has even begun. So much of this stuff is just made up by the media. They love to speculate and start rumours.

Normally would agree, but this season is different with players, for the first time (legally), agreeing to play at the GC.
The way it has unfolded the press can't help but speculate if the player tries to draw his contract negotiations out.

BulldogBelle
24-02-2010, 08:33 PM
OK heres's the deal, l have just spoken to a relative of Harbrow's.

He tells me he WILL be going to Gold Coast because the Dogs can not match the money they are throwing around.

If he stays it will be a miracle - Start Praying.

But he also tells me he is not the only one Gold Coast is looking at at the Dogs!

lemmon
24-02-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure about the feelings you guys have but I'll be pretty pissed off if he leaves. Prior to the draft nobody had even heard of him but we took a punt, rookied him, gave him a shot and rewarded him for good form and so far he has re-payed the faith. I hope all players considering taking the money, remember what the bulldogs risked in giving them their shot at the top level and where they may be if we never gave them that initial shot.

AndrewP6
24-02-2010, 10:22 PM
OK heres's the deal, l have just spoken to a relative of Harbrow's.

He tells me he WILL be going to Gold Coast because the Dogs can not match the money they are throwing around.

If he stays it will be a miracle - Start Praying.

But he also tells me he is not the only one Gold Coast is looking at at the Dogs!

IF that is true, he takes a massive dip in the respect stakes, IMO. Don't care about the money being thrown at them, if loyalty means anything, they'll stick around. It's not like they're being paid peanuts now.

No offence, but I hope your source is wrong on this one.

Rocco Jones
24-02-2010, 11:04 PM
IF that is true, he takes a massive dip in the respect stakes, IMO. Don't care about the money being thrown at them, if loyalty means anything, they'll stick around. It's not like they're being paid peanuts now.

I find that most people who make that kind of comment are being very naive. What if Gold Coast are offering him more than double? Say we offer him about 300k and he can get 600k, that's an enormous difference. A footy career is very limited and who knows what can happen to him. A couple of knees and a promising career can easily become a short one. With that immediate big money he can set himself up, not worry about home loans and the like and he can also help his family out.

It's funny that we live in a society that rates salary so highly when selecting an occupation but are also so quick to hammer sportsmen who move for money (that isn't directed at you Andrew).

Primarily, footy is our passion but it's their career.

Doc26
24-02-2010, 11:11 PM
I find that most people who make that kind of comment are being very naive. What if Gold Coast are offering him more than double? Say we offer him about 300k and he can get 600k, that's an enormous difference. A footy career is very limited and who knows what can happen to him. A couple of knees and a promising career can easily become a short one. With that immediate big money he can set himself up, not worry about home loans and the like and he can also help his family out.

It's funny that we live in a society that rates salary so highly when selecting an occupation but are also so quick to hammer sportsman who move for money (that isn't directed at you Andrew).

Rocco, stop making sense, it's not helping ;)

Rocco Jones
24-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Rocco, stop making sense, it's not helping ;)

I'll stop it when (and not if) we start losing players and the feelings of anger take over.

The anger should be directed at the AFL anyway.

BulldogBelle
24-02-2010, 11:27 PM

None taken!

l hope it's wrong too.

comrade
24-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Where can I put a gorilla on Harbrow to win our B&F then? ;)

Sockeye Salmon
24-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Get used to it guys, this is going to be an annual thing.

Dry Rot
24-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Is there a more clever way to play this?

And get an edge on other clubs in the same position?

Don't get me wrong, I'll be spewing if any of the nominated players go to the GC. But instead of abusing the players (as fans) or damning them and standing them down by the club or coach (eg Roos at the Swans), there may be a better way:

1. Recognise the reality of the unequal bargaining advantage of GC.

2. Recognise that this will result in good or gun players leaving us.

3. But rather than damning them, embrace them.

4. Yes, we understand why you are leaving (dollars we can't match) and good luck to you.

5. All we ask is that you leave recognising the role the club has played in your career.

6. And therefore that you leave with our blessing, but in return for a draft pick this year which GC has.

Eg if Cooney leaves for huge dollars which we can't match, then press him to go in return for say pick #3 or 5 this year, not the BS compo picks the AFl is offering later.

Thoughts?

mjp
24-02-2010, 11:38 PM
The only way to go DR.

Dry Rot
24-02-2010, 11:46 PM
The only way to go DR.

Thanks. Simple business sense really.

And given past relationships with Clayton, maybe we could pull this off.

I like and admire Paul Roos as a coach, but this will need a real paradigm shift throughout the club, from the coach down to each fan.

If we achieve this, we will actually have a serious competitive advantage against other teams operating in the previous paradigm and without the relationship with Clayton.

I sincerely hope Eade reads these last few posts.

AndrewP6
24-02-2010, 11:57 PM

It's funny that we live in a society that rates salary so highly when selecting an occupation but are also so quick to hammer sportsmen who move for money (that isn't directed at you Andrew).

Possibly my opinion is coloured by my occupation (teacher, as you are, IIRC!:))which, is the only one I've had....working in the state system, the idea of moving jobs for money isn't really an option - I can move to any other state school, and I'll still get the same money. And my choice of occupation certainly hasn't been governed by my pay packet ;)
I guess other industries are different. The point about setting themselves up is a fair one, but even if they're on 300K a year, should money really be a major concern? They're hardly living pay-to-pay, and for most ordinary folk, 300K is huge money. With proper investments etc, they should be able to make that go a fair way. Yes, it's a short life for a pro athlete, but used wisely, they ought to be able to make a go of it. Injuries could happen which curtail their career, but just the whole notion of "They've got more money so that's where I'm going" just doesn't sit well with me.

FrediKanoute
24-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Thanks. Simple business sense really.

And given past relationships with Clayton, maybe we could pull this off.

I like and admire Paul Roos as a coach, but this will need a real paradigm shift throughout the club, from the coach down to each fan.

If we achieve this, we will actually have a serious competitive advantage against other teams operating in the previous paradigm and without the relationship with Clayton.

I sincerely hope Eade reads these last few posts.

It is exactly a pradigm shift. The whole move from transfer fees to draft and salary cap was a paradigm shift from all out capitalism to communism. This is now a shift back towards a more capitalist football system. Personally I expect transfer fees to come back into the football market. To me its the only way to adequately compensate clubs for the loss of players they have developed. It will also assist in a redistribution of wealth from richer clubs to poorer clubs through the transfer of valuable commodities. The problem with transfer fees is when clubs over extend commitment on the basis of transfer fees (ie Portsmouth in the Premier League). Smart clubs who draft well can do well ot of a transfer fee system.

Dry Rot
25-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Possibly my opinion is coloured by my occupation (teacher, as you are, IIRC!:))which, is the only one I've had....working in the state system, the idea of moving jobs for money isn't really an option - I can move to any other state school, and I'll still get the same money. And my choice of occupation certainly hasn't been governed by my pay packet ;)
I guess other industries are different. The point about setting themselves up is a fair one, but even if they're on 300K a year, should money really be a major concern? They're hardly living pay-to-pay, and for most ordinary folk, 300K is huge money. With proper investments etc, they should be able to make that go a fair way. Yes, it's a short life for a pro athlete, but used wisely, they ought to be able to make a go of it. Injuries could happen which curtail their career, but just the whole notion of "They've got more money so that's where I'm going" just doesn't sit well with me.

Lets say you are very good teacher in the state system who begins to make a name for yourself.

And, for now, you believe in the state system but you are offered a private school position which not only offers a really significant increase in salary now, but a lucrative potential career path.

What would you do?

AndrewP6
25-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Lets say you are very good teacher in the state system who begins to make a name for yourself.

And, for now, you believe in the state system but you are offered a private school position which not only offers a really significant increase in salary now, but a lucrative potential career path.

What would you do?

Hand on heart, I can say without a shadow of a doubt, I'd knock it back. No amount of financial incentive, or the prospect of career advancement would entice me to abandon my beliefs and values in regard to education. One of which is that parents shouldn't have to pay 12K a year (for starters!) for the "privilege" of a private education. I'd say no, in a second.

Dry Rot
25-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Hand on heart, I can say without a shadow of a doubt, I'd knock it back. No amount of financial incentive, or the prospect of career advancement would entice me to abandon my beliefs and values in regard to education. One of which is that parents shouldn't have to pay 12K a year for the "privilege" of a private education. I'd say no, in a second.

Fair enough. Perhaps my analogy wasn't too flash comparing the Dogs and GC vs public and private schools.

In any event, I'm not qualified to talk - my work is mostly lies and has help kill people. I'm not going to be the first to throw stones against Cooney or Harbrow.

Sockeye Salmon
25-02-2010, 12:52 AM
It is exactly a pradigm shift. The whole move from transfer fees to draft and salary cap was a paradigm shift from all out capitalism to communism. This is now a shift back towards a more capitalist football system. Personally I expect transfer fees to come back into the football market. To me its the only way to adequately compensate clubs for the loss of players they have developed. It will also assist in a redistribution of wealth from richer clubs to poorer clubs through the transfer of valuable commodities. The problem with transfer fees is when clubs over extend commitment on the basis of transfer fees (ie Portsmouth in the Premier League). Smart clubs who draft well can do well ot of a transfer fee system.

You'll never get me to agree with you on this one, Fredi.

History tells us this won't happen.

The poor sell off their good players and become crap. Then sponsors and fans desert them so they sell of their next best player and become crapper, lose more cash, sell another player, become Fitzroy.

MrMahatma
25-02-2010, 02:49 AM
Is there a more clever way to play this?

And get an edge on other clubs in the same position?

Don't get me wrong, I'll be spewing if any of the nominated players go to the GC. But instead of abusing the players (as fans) or damning them and standing them down by the club or coach (eg Roos at the Swans), there may be a better way:

1. Recognise the reality of the unequal bargaining advantage of GC.

2. Recognise that this will result in good or gun players leaving us.

3. But rather than damning them, embrace them.

4. Yes, we understand why you are leaving (dollars we can't match) and good luck to you.

5. All we ask is that you leave recognising the role the club has played in your career.

6. And therefore that you leave with our blessing, but in return for a draft pick this year which GC has.

Eg if Cooney leaves for huge dollars which we can't match, then press him to go in return for say pick #3 or 5 this year, not the BS compo picks the AFl is offering later.

Thoughts?
Only problem I have with this is - GC took a load of the best 17 yr old talent last year - we could assume some of those would now be considered top picks this year - and WS are taking out the 17 year olds this year - possibly a couple of those would've been top picks this year.

I guess it'd be possible to work out for those who follow the TAC etc closely, but pick 3-5 this year may not be a 'real' pick 3-5... possibly pick 7-10?

Of course, it all depends on what the compensatory pick would be. But a previous No 1 pick, Brownlow medalist - you'd hope it would be in the 3-5 range at least....

Dry Rot
25-02-2010, 02:57 AM
Only problem I have with this is - GC took a load of the best 17 yr old talent last year - we could assume some of those would now be considered top picks this year - and WS are taking out the 17 year olds this year - possibly a couple of those would've been top picks this year.

I guess it'd be possible to work out for those who follow the TAC etc closely, but pick 3-5 this year may not be a 'real' pick 3-5... possibly pick 7-10?

Of course, it all depends on what the compensatory pick would be. But a previous No 1 pick, Brownlow medalist - you'd hope it would be in the 3-5 range at least....

Maybe, but you are thinking in the old paradigm and under the old rules.

Surely say negotiated picks 3 and 5 in 2010 for Cooney and Griffen now are better than the future compensatory picks of anywhere from 10 -30?

Mantis
25-02-2010, 08:52 AM
And therefore that you leave with our blessing, but in return for a draft pick this year which GC has.

Thoughts?

The GC are able to sign at least 1 player from every club over a 2 year period where this 'bullshit compensation' rule kicks in.

I am not sure what power we will have in determining which players fall inside or outside of this ruling.

Go_Dogs
25-02-2010, 09:53 AM

I know the 17 year olds are able to be on-traded, so perhaps we could end up with a pick in the 20 range, and a young bloke like Toy. Given the drafts are going to be so ravaged, as you rightfully point out, getting a kid whose had a year or 2 of development (and was rated as a very high selection) as well as draft pick might soften the blow a little?

I think this is going to be my last post on the GC and FA topics, because it just makes me mad! :mad:

mjp
25-02-2010, 11:02 AM
I think this is going to be my last post on the GC and FA topics, because it just makes me mad! :mad:

But you are allowed to get mad. As long as the people making decisions at the club don't get too angry and emotional.

With Free Agency around, you need your 'old' players (moved to other clubs) telling other prospective FA's about their positive experiences at our club...that way when they put together a list of suitors we are on it.

Facilities are top notch, off-field support seems to be sorted...there is no reason that we wouldn't be an attractive destination. I would say that transparency in payments, removal of things like marketing schemes and direct inclusion in the cap, full salary disclosure etc are important in making this work.

Go_Dogs
25-02-2010, 11:44 AM
I would say that transparency in payments, removal of things like marketing schemes and direct inclusion in the cap, full salary disclosure etc are important in making this work.

Realistically, what are the chances of this happening? I'd take out a loan and bet against it. I'd be that confident.

LostDoggy
25-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Realistically, what are the chances of this happening? I'd take out a loan and bet against it. I'd be that confident.

Was just about the say the same thing.

Even more amazingly, regardless of whatever 'facts' come out the AFL will just turn around and say that there's absolutely nothing wrong with anything and, in reality, the rules aren't worth a damn.

They've said as much today about third party payments, so it's almost irrelevant what we think will make it 'fairer', it will be an absolutely arbitrary (there's ONE GUY at the AFL investigating third party payments? One flippin' guy, with absolutely no accountability whatsoever? How do we know HE'S not on the 'third party payment' gravy train -- we used to call them 'bribes' -- himself?), make it up as you go, 'the AFL can never be wrong' bullshit all the way.

Oh, and what did the AFL say/do about tanking again? If they can't tackle something as fundamental and widely perceived as that, we can forget them doing anything about anything worth a damn.

LostDoggy
25-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Sometimes I wonder why I (or anyone else) bothers with this crap at all.

The AFL are just lucky that people love their football. I just wish there was some way for them to just suffer the consequences of their blind arrogance and absolute disdain for the average football follower without destroying everything in the process.

Sockeye Salmon
25-02-2010, 06:25 PM
But you are allowed to get mad. As long as the people making decisions at the club don't get too angry and emotional.

With Free Agency around, you need your 'old' players (moved to other clubs) telling other prospective FA's about their positive experiences at our club...that way when they put together a list of suitors we are on it.

Facilities are top notch, off-field support seems to be sorted...there is no reason that we wouldn't be an attractive destination. I would say that transparency in payments, removal of things like marketing schemes and direct inclusion in the cap, full salary disclosure etc are important in making this work.

They can tell them we're the greatest club in the world, unless we find a way to pay most of their salary outside of the salary cap (like others will be able to do) we're not in the game.

LostDoggy
25-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Pride (hubris) comes before a fall.

Keep going down this path, in one generation no one will be giving a crap about this provincial competition destroyed by greed and unjustifiably massive big fish in small pond egos.

Bulldog4life
25-02-2010, 08:49 PM

Keep going down this path, in one generation no one will be giving a crap about this provincial competition destroyed by greed and unjustifiably massive big fish in small pond egos.

I agree with a lot of what you say Lantern. Having followed the doggies all my life, I'm 58 years old, I can see the Gold Coast situation then West Sydney and finally Free Agency causing the death of a number of Clubs. Even when our Club has been down and out I haven't felt as bad as I do now thinking about the Doggies uncertain future.

Apart from the extra dollars to the Clubs due to the next Broadcast rights can anyone else tell me why all Clubs agreed to the 2 new Clubs? What other incentives were there?
I'm surprised that a player as young as Harbrow could be allowed to be targeted. Surely there should have been a cut off age such as 25.
Strange isn't it that Demetriou used to be the Chief of the Players Association, or is it?

Remi Moses
25-02-2010, 08:59 PM
We're going to hear months and months of rumour innuendo and Journo stories on every uncontracted player until Gold Coast comes in . It's awful awful for Footy fans :mad:

hujsh
25-02-2010, 10:16 PM

I've never felt so bad about the AFL as a comp. For the first time in my life I can say i wouldn't give a damn if it wasn't for the Doggies and I'd just care about my local club.

To give it some perspective, four years ago I was watching 5 games a week on FTA TV.

Sockeye Salmon
25-02-2010, 11:08 PM
I've never felt so bad about the AFL as a comp. For the first time in my life I can say i wouldn't give a damn if it wasn't for the Doggies and I'd just care about my local club.

To give it some perspective, four years ago I was watching 5 games a week on FTA TV.

My thoughts exactly

KT31
25-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Get used to it guys, this is going to be an annual thing.

What do you mean going to be, as long as I can remember if we have had a decent player every other team has thought they were up for grabs.

mjp
26-02-2010, 01:23 AM
What do you mean going to be, as long as I can remember if we have had a decent player every other team has thought they were up for grabs.

Isn't that because we had a history of selling them?

KT31
26-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Isn't that because we had a history of selling them?

More like giving them away.

Sedat
26-02-2010, 12:20 PM
The free agency press conference was vintage AFL 'policy on the run', which has been their stock in trade for the duration of the Demetriou reign. There are so many unanswered questions about the system that have not been close to being ironed out by dumb (Demetriou) and dumber (Anderson), but there they were earlier this week in front of the AFL media and public, repeatedly espousing their genius in being able to 'finalise' a workable free agency system - a system that is nowhere near finlaised and, in its current shell of a guise, will be hopelessly exposed to systematic rorting and exploitation by the clubs, agents and players.

If Harbrow is indeed on the GC hit-list, it really is difficult being too critical of him taking what is going to be a massive pay rise. Most of us would not blink at taking a massive pay rise to perform the same role in the general workforce so it is a little difficult to criticise professional footballers for doing so. He is a terrific young player with strong leadership qualities and it would be a significant on-field loss, but he only cost us a rookie pick and we will be compensated far, far in excess of that should he decide to move on. He is also one of those players that, if our drafting is on song, should be comfortably replacable. As Rocco and other have pointed out, point the gun at the AFL, not the players, for fully sanctioning salary cap cheating with the GC and GWS franchises.

Doc26
26-02-2010, 12:51 PM
If Harbrow is indeed on the GC hit-list, it really is difficult being too critical of him taking what is going to be a massive pay rise. Most of us would not blink at taking a massive pay rise to perform the same role in the general workforce so it is a little difficult to criticise professional footballers for doing so.

Agree that it is understandable which makes Jack Ziebell's decision to resign with North that much more impressive and was a great read yesterday. Hopefully Jarrod is made of the same stuff as Jack.

Bulldog4life
26-02-2010, 03:03 PM

If Harbrow is indeed on the GC hit-list, it really is difficult being too critical of him taking what is going to be a massive pay rise. Most of us would not blink at taking a massive pay rise to perform the same role in the general workforce so it is a little difficult to criticise professional footballers for doing so. He is a terrific young player with strong leadership qualities and it would be a significant on-field loss, but he only cost us a rookie pick and we will be compensated far, far in excess of that should he decide to move on. He is also one of those players that, if our drafting is on song, should be comfortably replacable. As Rocco and other have pointed out, point the gun at the AFL, not the players, for fully sanctioning salary cap cheating with the GC and GWS franchises.

Will we? How do you know that for sure?

Sedat
26-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Will we? How do you know that for sure?

Good question. We don't know for certain what the compensation will be (dumb and dumber don't know either). But it will be plenty more than a rookie selection.

LostDoggy
26-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Good question. We don't know for certain what the compensation will be (dumb and dumber don't know either). But it will be plenty more than a rookie selection.

But how can we have a transfer system in place already without having the compensation component finalised? It's like someone signing to sell off your house without knowing what you're going to get for it, or even how it's going to be valued, but we're supposed to believe that it will be 'fine' (although all prior experience tells us that the guys selling your house are completely incompetent and more interested in shafting you than helping).

And if Gablett may be a pick 26, we'd be lucky to get a rookie pick for Jarrod.

Doc26
26-02-2010, 04:43 PM

And when the rookie is worth anything will be off under free agency or some other form of compensation anyway ala Jarrod

Sedat
26-02-2010, 04:50 PM
But how can we have a transfer system in place already without having the compensation component finalised? It's like someone signing to sell off your house without knowing what you're going to get for it, or even how it's going to be valued, but we're supposed to believe that it will be 'fine' (although all prior experience tells us that the guys selling your house are completely incompetent and more interested in shafting you than helping).

I'm actually in agreement with you and Doc26 and Bulldog4Life. Only used Harbrow as an example whereby he cost us a rookie pick and is now a borderline AA hence would be worth a decent draft pick (that is in theory of course, because as you rightly pointed out we haven't got a clue what the brains trust at AFL H/Q have instore for clubs re: compensation).

I'd be very surprised if Gablett was allowed to go to GC for a return outlay to Geelong of pick 26. There would be outcry from the rest of the competition if something so ludicrously advantageous to GC was rubber-stamped by the AFL. But yeah, there are a million unanswered questions all round in relation to free agency.

LostDoggy
26-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Exactly, Sedat. We're all in furious agreement, and the anger is all directed at the brainstrust at AFL HQ.

I think your 'dumb and dumber' label is a winner.

divvydan
26-02-2010, 06:32 PM
The 'Ablett for pick 26' was really just a worst case scenario used to create a headline and get people reading and talking about the article as a whole. There are a number of categories of compensation (first round, end of first round, second round, end of second, third round pick etc) and clubs will have up to 5 years to use them.

As for not knowing what a player like Harbrow will get, that's true for us supporters, however, there were around 50-60 players used as examples for compensation when it was being worked out so the afl will have a very good idea what sort of compensation to expect from clubs losing a player. The clubs themselves won't know the exact weighting but I'm sure they also have can make a strong estimate of what any individual player is worth in compensation terms.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Rather than start a completely new thread, thought I would bring back this one.

After Friday night's performance, do we need to do whatever it takes to keep Harbrow?
Or do we need to find a plan B if the offer is just too good?

I'm interested in everyone else's thoughts, and I guess I better post my own here too.

I reckon we need to look at keeping him. He just seems to get better and better, yes he still makes mistakes, but that is part of the learning process. If we had to start from scratch, we would see more mistakes made by a new rookie. You would think that Johnno, Aker and Eage would all retire, we would probably need to make some hard calls on other players just to come close to matching GC. But I would like to see us try to keep him.

Bulldog4life
03-05-2010, 05:53 PM
According to Media reports....how reliable I'm not sure.....This year Harbrow is on less than $200,000 a year with us and that the Gold Coast have offered him between $450,000 to $500,000 a year.

chef
03-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Rather than start a completely new thread, thought I would bring back this one.

After Friday night's performance, do we need to do whatever it takes to keep Harbrow?
Or do we need to find a plan B if the offer is just too good?

I'm interested in everyone else's thoughts, and I guess I better post my own here too.

I reckon we need to look at keeping him. He just seems to get better and better, yes he still makes mistakes, but that is part of the learning process. If we had to start from scratch, we would see more mistakes made by a new rookie. You would think that Johnno, Aker and Eage would all retire, we would probably need to make some hard calls on other players just to come close to matching GC. But I would like to see us try to keep him.

In my opinion, he's gone. We are not going to get within cooee of GC's offer(apparently he's already signed anyway) and you can't blame him for taking it.

The replacements on our list would be Callan(how bad is his injury?) and Gilbee(playing deeper than usual). Moles, Picken, Thorne, Howard, Stack, Wood, Addison, Hooper and Tutt are all options for that sort of position with a bit of development but I'm not sure if they would all be suited or good enough for it.

Harbrow came from the clouds to make that position his own and is a unique player. He is going to be hard to replace

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 10:45 PM
I have come to terms with my main man leaving, i just hope he can help us lift the cup before he does.

Scorlibo
03-05-2010, 11:09 PM
I have come to terms with my main man leaving, i just hope he can help us lift the cup before he does.

If he does he will think twice before leaving.

Ozza
03-05-2010, 11:14 PM
A handful of the St.Kilda players were saying after Friday's nights game that they had heard through their management that he is gone and the deal is done. A terrible shame if true - really disappointing.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 11:22 PM
I have heard from a manager that he has already signed with GC but he also said Ablett had signed too and if you beleive what you read that is not true.

Basically we wont find out 100% till end of year so Enjoy the way he plays and pray it is not true but if it is you can't really blame him cause he has to look after his future and it will prob be double what the Dogs can offer, I would be more upset if he left for $50 000 more but double your wage is hard to refuse for anyone

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 11:23 PM
A handful of the St.Kilda players were saying after Friday's nights game that they had heard through their management that he is gone and the deal is done. A terrible shame if true - really disappointing.

I'm curious as to why St. Kilda players would be talking about JH leavng for the GC after the game?

I hope we don't lose Harbrow, but if he's already signed with them that just makes it worse. I've always thought the NRL was so strange how players would sign with new clubs publicly while they still played for their current team.

Ozza
03-05-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm curious as to why St. Kilda players would be talking about JH leavng for the GC after the game?

They were talking about JH, how quick he was, how they couldn't catch him - and generally that he played a great game.

mighty_west
03-05-2010, 11:26 PM

If he does go, the positive would be his stocks rising by the week, could even sneak AA if his form continues, so we should get something decent in return.

He would be crazy to go though, stay and have success, and after that success, then maybe looking at going elsewhere, he could make alot more money staying, commanding more money later on if he left, he gets the best of both worlds.

Chances are we'll most likely lose Aker & Eagle at seasons end to retirement, Johnno may as well if we go all the way, so there will be extra money in the cap to share around for those unsigned.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 11:28 PM
If he does go, the positive would be his stocks rising by the week, could even sneak AA if his form continues, so we should get something decent in return.

He would be crazy to go though, stay and have success, and after that success, then maybe looking at going elsewhere, he could make alot more money staying, commanding more money later on if he left, he gets the best of both worlds.

Chances are we'll most likely lose Aker & Eagle at seasons end to retirement, Johnno may as well if we go all the way, so there will be extra money in the cap to share around for those unsigned.

Isn't Gary Ablett only worth a pick 26 if he goes to the GC? It's sad to think what kind of pick we'd get for a guy like Harbrow. :mad:

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Isn't Gary Ablett only worth a pick 26 if he goes to the GC? It's sad to think what kind of pick we'd get for a guy like Harbrow. :mad:

Yes but they are going to change the way they work out the compensation due to complaints from clubs so i dont think we know the new formula yet

mighty_west
03-05-2010, 11:31 PM

There is no way known Geelong will only recieve 26 for Ablett.

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 12:36 AM

Just saw this article, will help answer your Question

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gold-coast-compo-boost/story-e6frf9jf-1225861781362

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Yes but they are going to change the way they work out the compensation due to complaints from clubs so i dont think we know the new formula yet

The amazing thing is that it ISN'T already worked out. I mean, there have been secret clauses for GC17 to go ahead and secretly sign players, they are already playing in the VFL, and they are coming into the competition next year, but we still have no idea what the central plank of the list-rape -- sorry, legitimate offers for uncontracted players -- ie. the compensation formula, is going to be.

Talk about making it up as you go along. Ridiculously unprofessional, but really, did anyone expect anything different from this joke of an administration.

boydogs
05-05-2010, 08:37 PM
The amazing thing is that it ISN'T already worked out. I mean, there have been secret clauses for GC17 to go ahead and secretly sign players, they are already playing in the VFL, and they are coming into the competition next year, but we still have no idea what the central plank of the list-rape -- sorry, legitimate offers for uncontracted players -- ie. the compensation formula, is going to be.

Talk about making it up as you go along. Ridiculously unprofessional, but really, did anyone expect anything different from this joke of an administration.

It's actually even worse - they did work it out, but then decided it was wrong and that they needed to start again. They are obviously too insular to get feedback and get it right before announcing it to the world

LostDoggy
05-05-2010, 08:44 PM
With GC getting so many high draft picks thrown at them they really should be able to trade those for some ready made players.

In an open market Ablett may get 2 first rounders so why don't they make GC pay this amount - they have 7 first round picks IIRC??

Don't mind them getting assistance but to get to build a list around some quality established stars AND to then draft a heap of quality youngsters tells me they MAY see premiership success before us - that would really hurt!!

BulldogBelle
05-05-2010, 10:41 PM
With GC getting so many high draft picks thrown at them they really should be able to trade those for some ready made players.

In an open market Ablett may get 2 first rounders so why don't they make GC pay this amount - they have 7 first round picks IIRC??

Don't mind them getting assistance but to get to build a list around some quality established stars AND to then draft a heap of quality youngsters tells me they MAY see premiership success before us - that would really hurt!!

Here is another scenario they take Harbrow for nothing and then take Cooney (add fav player here) with first round pick.

Be happy with that?:(

The Coon Dog
05-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Here is another scenario they take Harbrow for nothing and then take Cooney (add fav player here) with first round pick.

Be happy with that?:(

In that scenario, they wouldn't get Harbrow for nothing. We would be compensated, though what we'd get & what he's worth to us are, are two different things.

No, wouldn't be happy Jan!

LostDoggy
05-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Even thinking about this whole situation and the Gold Coast fills me with rage. I'm angry at Harbrow, somewhat unreasonably. I know no one wants him to go, obviously, and if he did go...I don't want him to succeed, really. Because I am a spiteful and awful person. Why would I want to watch him play his best footy for a team that tears apart lists, and pretty much everyone will get screwed over by?

I don't know. I feel like the Bulldogs were the ones to give him the chance at a footy career to begin with. He was a rookie, and the Dogs had faith in him, and I don't know... I know he would realise that, but you know... I rate loyalty. Obviously a little too much.

I wonder how the team feel about the whole situation?

Doc26
06-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Even thinking about this whole situation and the Gold Coast fills me with rage. I'm angry at Harbrow, somewhat unreasonably. I know no one wants him to go, obviously, and if he did go...I don't want him to succeed, really. Because I am a spiteful and awful person. Why would I want to watch him play his best footy for a team that tears apart lists, and pretty much everyone will get screwed over by?

I don't know. I feel like the Bulldogs were the ones to give him the chance at a footy career to begin with. He was a rookie, and the Dogs had faith in him, and I don't know... I know he would realise that, but you know... I rate loyalty. Obviously a little too much.

I wonder how the team feel about the whole situation?

I'm disappointed by the thought of it as well. Unfortunately with free agency around the corner this situation will become common place and at the expense of clubs that continue to struggle to finance their TPP independently.

Assuming it is a done deal with Jarrod my hope is that we get the most out of his talent this year, that he gets to hold a 2010 premiership cup aloft and even a Norm Smith to go with it. What might happen next might not seem as bad.

Sockeye Salmon
06-05-2010, 12:53 AM
I'm disappointed by the thought of it as well. Unfortunately with free agency around the corner this situation will become common place and at the expense of clubs that continue to struggle to finance their TPP independently.

Assuming it is a done deal with Jarrod my hope is that we get the most out of his talent this year, that he gets to hold a 2010 premiership cup aloft and even a Norm Smith to go with it. What might happen next might not seem as bad.

How beautifully put.

AD will almost certainly borrow that the next time the president of a wealthy club shoves a giant brown paper bag full of cash under the table.

Topdog
06-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Have I missed something?? Has Harbrow said he is going??

LostDoggy
06-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Whilst we have him for the rest of this year, I really hope somebody takes the opportunity to play him further up the ground.

We can no longer afford the luxury of having him play so far down the back end when we are in need of his pace around stoppages and through the centre.

I wonder what might have been had he got his hands on the ball through the centre last week rather than down back - I doubt whether his pace (acknowledged by the Saints as too quick for them) might have slowed further up the gound.

LostDoggy
06-05-2010, 12:06 PM
To be honest, the whole affair with Lake and his contract last year has left a bad taste in my mouth. I for one am not going to believe anything reported in the media until contracts have been signed and both clubs make official announcements. I am sick of the footy pages being filled with gossip from people with big egos who are constantly trying to project to the football public that they are as important to the game as the players, coaches, officials, etc.

I think Harbrow is entitled to wait until the end of the year to fix up his contracts, regardless of whether he is considering leaving or wants to stay at the dogs. He is only getting better, and surely if his standards continue to improve on the footy field by the end of the season he would be worth more than he is right now. Until then, I will enjoy watching him play in the red white and blue, and have my fingers crossed that I can do so next season too.

Ghost Dog
06-05-2010, 12:22 PM
I think I read an article recently that said actually not that many footballers have switched clubs for money, historically speaking. Ron Barrassi was one of the few, and he did it to pay for his kids education, so I read.
Is the little fella shacked up with a lady here? Let's hope so, if not, let's find him a Melbourne girl quick!

In reality, if player's needs are met, what is the big difference between 300,000 a year and 450,000?
The culture of the club becomes important here, sense of place, family.
In other forums, other people have suggested Missy Higgins would make a good captain, but I would vote for Harbrow! My fav player and I really hope we do not lose him.

Doc26
06-05-2010, 12:29 PM
I think I read an article recently that said actually not that many footballers have switched clubs for money, historically speaking. Ron Barrassi was one of the few, and he did it to pay for his kids education, so I read.

In reality, if player's needs are met, what is the big difference between 300,000 a year and 450,000?

Naith did :mad: but then he wasn't cultured per se

choconmientay
06-05-2010, 12:32 PM
I wish we could read something in the news " Harbrow turn his back to a lucrative GC offer" and following the lead of other players at Essondon and Hawthorn and resign his contract with us.

Loyalty to the club and you will be beloved forever.

Mantis
06-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Is the little fella shacked up with a lady here? Let's hope so, if not, let's find him a Melbourne girl quick!
In other forums, other people have suggested Missy Higgins would make a good captain, but I would vote for Harbrow! My fav player and I really hope we do not lose him.

His girlfriend lives in Brisbane. :(

Sedat
06-05-2010, 12:54 PM
We're all jumping at shadows. We have a massively important season in progress at the moment and Harbrow is an integral part of that season. He's some chance to go and he's some chance to stay but nobody will be the wiser until much later in the season. Let's enjoy the ride in 2010 and watch Harbrow strut his stuff for the benefit of what we all hope will be a premiership team in 2010.

Sockeye Salmon
06-05-2010, 01:16 PM

North Melbourne won two premierships doing it.

Doug Wade said he was given a box with piles of cash in it and a spring. When he opened the box, cash went flying everywhere.

LostDoggy
06-05-2010, 01:40 PM
If he goes then maybe we'll be laughing at him like we did with Nathan Brown. Playing out the rest of his days at a club that'll be going nowhere soon.

Hope it's not true.

Desipura
06-05-2010, 04:42 PM
If he goes then maybe we'll be laughing at him like we did with Nathan Brown. Playing out the rest of his days at a club that'll be going nowhere soon.

Hope it's not true.
AFL will do everything in their powers to ensure they win a premiership.
Out of all the franchises, only Freo have not won a premiership in the first 7 years of existence.

LostDoggy
06-05-2010, 04:54 PM
AFL will do everything in their powers to ensure they win a premiership.
Out of all the franchises, only Freo have not won a premiership in the first 7 years of existence.

How come we never heard about possible draft concessions for Freo (or the Dogs, for that matter) but Richmond loses a couple of games and everyone jumps up and down?

FFS, Tiges who think they're long-suffering have no idea what that word means.

Desipura
06-05-2010, 05:09 PM
How come we never heard about possible draft concessions for Freo (or the Dogs, for that matter) but Richmond loses a couple of games and everyone jumps up and down?

FFS, Tiges who think they're long-suffering have no idea what that word means.

I had to laugh when I read that the tigers were going to be active come trade time. Active with what?
Unless they are looking at trading the likes of Deledio, Cotchin and to a lesser extent Riewoldt and Tambling who else would want their crap? Active my foot!
Other clubs are not that dumb anymore Tiges, not like you have been!

Bulldog4life
06-05-2010, 05:30 PM
How beautifully put.

AD will almost certainly borrow that the next time the president of a wealthy club shoves a giant brown paper bag full of cash under the table.

I think that AD has done enough to deserve his own "Up Yours" car bumper sticker. :D

Pickenitup
06-05-2010, 05:53 PM
I had a chat to him at the season launch and i walked away from talking to him that this kid absolutley loves The Bulldogs and doubt he would go loves living in Melbourne

chef
06-05-2010, 06:07 PM
His girlfriend lives in Brisbane. :(

No chance of keeping him then:(

The Underdog
06-05-2010, 09:07 PM
I had a chat to him at the season launch and i walked away from talking to him that this kid absolutley loves The Bulldogs and doubt he would go loves living in Melbourne

He didn't tell you that he hated it here, that GC17 were offering him double what he could earn anywhere else and that he wanted to move back to Queensland to be with his girlfriend at the Bulldogs 2010 Season Launch then?
Sorry to be snarky, but he's not likely to tell you the truth either way, especially at a club function with 22+ games to go.

azabob
06-05-2010, 09:24 PM

He didn't tell you that he hated it here, that GC17 were offering him double what he could earn anywhere else and that he wanted to move back to Queensland to be with his girlfriend at the Bulldogs 2010 Season Launch then?
Sorry to be snarky, but he's not likely to tell you the truth either way, especially at a club function with 22+ games to go.

Underdog I think your being a bit harsh. Everyone else is only speculating also.

Pickenitup was only giving an opinion. Pickenitup is yet to be proven right or wrong just like everyone else.

soupman
06-05-2010, 11:54 PM

$150,000 is a fair bit of bonus money a year IMO.

I think we should all just assume Harbrow innocent of any defection to the Gold Coast until proven guilty.

Scorlibo
07-05-2010, 12:09 AM
$150,000 is a fair bit of bonus money a year IMO.

I think we should all just assume Harbrow innocent of any defection to the Gold Coast until proven guilty.

I agree, Harbrow is just the next in a long line of superstars to have purportedly poached by the GC.

The Underdog
07-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Underdog I think your being a bit harsh. Everyone else is only speculating also.

Pickenitup was only giving an opinion. Pickenitup is yet to be proven right or wrong just like everyone else.

I'll cop that.
I guess I'm also fed up with the speculation. I just felt it unlikely that JH would tell a club supporter at a club pre-season function anything other that what he told Pickenitup.
FWIW I hope he's right.

azabob
07-05-2010, 05:44 PM
I'll cop that.
I guess I'm also fed up with the speculation. I just felt it unlikely that JH would tell a club supporter at a club pre-season function anything other that what he told Pickenitup.
FWIW I hope he's right.

Yep you are right in saying Harbrow wouldn't tell truth regardless.

chef
09-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Any possibility he may be traded to Brisbane at the end of the year?

The Coon Dog
09-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Any possibility he may be traded to Brisbane at the end of the year?

I doubt it, given the concessions offered to the Gold Coast they will be in a better position to offer him a much more generous deal than Brisbane can.

bornadog
09-08-2010, 02:12 PM
I doubt it, given the concessions offered to the Gold Coast they will be in a better position to offer him a much more generous deal than Brisbane can.

Does this mean compensation will be a first rounder?

The Coon Dog
09-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Does this mean compensation will be a first rounder?

I have no idea.

What I was trying to get across was that Brisbane wouldn't be able to offer Jarrad what Gold Coast can, given their start up concessions.

Cyberdoggie
09-08-2010, 02:18 PM
I have no idea.

What I was trying to get across was that Brisbane wouldn't be able to offer Jarrad what Gold Coast can, given their start up concessions.

If they can't keep Brennan and Teac (Rischitelli) from going to the GC then why would they be looking at Harbrow?.

Brisbane need a whole new midfield, and Harbrow wouldn't be the first name that comes up.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 01:10 PM
According to media people, it's only going to be a matter of days until it's announced.

It was a weird feeling last night, sitting there during the last quarter watching him run around. Sitting thinking to myself, it could be the last time i see my favourite guy in the red, white & blue.

comrade
19-09-2010, 01:26 PM
If he goes, I won't be wishing him the best.

We gave him a chance and developed him into an AFL standard footballer, when no one else was willing to.

He's leaving for money first, lifestyle second and in doing so, is turning his back on the Bulldogs.

Get ****ed I say.

AndrewP6
19-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Big games from Gablett and Harbs...coincidence? I think not. :(

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Could we possibly get 2 first rounders for him? Or is that too much?

BulldogBelle
19-09-2010, 01:40 PM
If (when) he leaves I will thoroughly enjoy Baz belting him around if he plays back, and Brian letting him know about it if he plays forward. Might be safe in the centre until Picken finds him.

Remember Harris on Brown? I hope that happens.

I still hope you stay Harbrow so I should probably delay this call until you sign.:(

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Could we possibly get 2 first rounders for him? Or is that too much?

Yeh can't see that happening. We will prob end up getting the same deal as Hawthorn did for Brown, even though we deserve more :rolleyes:

azabob
19-09-2010, 01:52 PM

We gave him a chance and developed him into an AFL standard footballer, when no one else was willing to.

He's leaving for money first, lifestyle second and in doing so, is turning his back on the Bulldogs.

Get ****ed I say.

Could not agree more.

If the average Joe Public earned $250-$300 grand a year for 10 plus years it is enough money to set you up for life. Harbrow would earn this money at our club for this period of time.

With all the support they get from the AFL players association in regards to training and help for life after football he doesn't need the extra money.

If he goes it is no different to other players who have left for the $$ before him and will be no different to the players he leave after him.

jazzadogs
19-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Could not agree more.

If the average Joe Public earned $250-$300 grand a year for 10 plus years it is enough money to set you up for life. Harbrow would earn this money at our club for this period of time.

With all the support they get from the AFL players association in regards to training and help for life after football he doesn't need the extra money.

If he goes it is no different to other players who have left for the $$ before him and will be no different to the players he leave after him.
He comes from Queensland, all his family, girlfriend, most of his friends, live up there. Pretty sure that would have played a significant role in his decision.

It was sad knowing that last night was it, but I don't wish him any ill will. He seems like a good kid, who would have missed his family. It will be disappointing to see him evolve into a superstar though...

comrade
19-09-2010, 02:11 PM
He comes from Queensland, all his family, girlfriend, most of his friends, live up there. Pretty sure that would have played a significant role in his decision.

It was sad knowing that last night was it, but I don't wish him any ill will. He seems like a good kid, who would have missed his family. It will be disappointing to see him evolve into a superstar though...

I refuse to believe that money is not the defining factor in his decision and for that, I wish him nothing but the worst at GC.

jazzadogs
19-09-2010, 02:18 PM
I refuse to believe that money is not the defining factor in his decision and for that, I wish him nothing but the worst at GC.
Money plays a key role in anyone's life, and of course he would have considered the differences.

But based on nothing but a gut feel, I suppose, he seems like a real family man and I think that would have certainly been the deciding factor.

AndrewP6
19-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Plenty of players move interstate to play AFL...IMO he's off for the cash...

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Money plays a key role in anyone's life, and of course he would have considered the differences.

But based on nothing but a gut feel, I suppose, he seems like a real family man and I think that would have certainly been the deciding factor.

Agree, it shows with what he did for his brother as well.

comrade
19-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Being a family man is fine, but if it wasn't about the cash, why aren't we dealing with Brisbane?

Anyway, he hasn't announced a signing so this could all be null and void. If so, I love you Jarrod and I'm sorry I ever doubted you :D

GVGjr
19-09-2010, 03:03 PM

I was under the impression that life outside of football had the stronger pull on the heart strings for him but if it's primarily the money then in the long run we won't miss him that much.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 03:07 PM
I was under the impression that life outside of football had the stronger pull on the heart strings for him but if it's primarily the money then in the long run we won't miss him that much.

At the end of the day money speaks loud. There are many players who don't play football in their home state. Look at guys like Cooney or Griffen. It's part of life. Some people work and live overseas away from their family. It's a poor excuse.

comrade
19-09-2010, 03:09 PM

I have no doubt that the go home factor is strong and he misses his girlfriend, friends etc etc - but money must be the defining factor.

Why else are we dealing with GC and not Brisbane?

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 03:27 PM
I have no doubt that the go home factor is strong and he misses his girlfriend, friends etc etc - but money must be the defining factor.

Because Brisbane don't have enough money to pay there own players, let alone entice Harbrow there.

comrade
19-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Because Brisbane don't have enough money to pay there own players, let alone entice Harbrow there.

Exactly.

jazzadogs
19-09-2010, 04:39 PM

We're not dealing with anyone. GC offered Harbrow a contract, we haven't had to, and won't have to, do anything.

comrade
19-09-2010, 04:56 PM
We're not dealing with anyone. GC offered Harbrow a contract, we haven't had to, and won't have to, do anything.

If Harbrow truly just wanted to go home AND wanted us to benefit from his development, he could have approached the Club and told them of his desire to leave. We could then have negotiated with Brisbane. As it stands, our compensation is subjective to the AFL Wheel of Fortune.

The fact that it's exclusively GC confirms money is a defining factor in the deal.

jazzadogs
19-09-2010, 05:07 PM
If Harbrow truly just wanted to go home AND wanted us to benefit from his development, he could have approached the Club and told them of his desire to leave. We could then have negotiated with Brisbane. As it stands, our compensation is subjective to the AFL Wheel of Fortune.

The fact that it's exclusively GC confirms money is a defining factor in the deal.
Yes, money would be a factor. But you were saying that money was basically the exclusive factor in his decision, the only reason he was leaving, which I just can't see being true.

There are lots of different people in the world. Some just love their family too much, and don't want to be away from them. When GC came calling in their 'window of opportunity' last year, Jarrod might have just thought it was too good to be true and agreed to it. If he made his decision then, he wasn't gonna be going to the club asking for a trade?

It's also worth remembering that he's still pretty young, so there's every chance he didn't weigh up all the other stuff (although you'd hope his manager made him think about it). He was offered the chance to be closer to his family at the end of last year, and he took it.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-09-2010, 06:47 PM

Get ****ed I say.

Yep - was saying the same thing last night, walking away from the 'G. If you're not with us - you're against us. We developed him, we gave him a dream career - he's leaving for the money.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Or do. Just get the **** out.

firstdogonthemoon
19-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Oh come on. Sure there is the money. But seriously, who would want to go and play for Brisbane? They are a rabble and Voss is clearly not up to scratch.

And he will be an instant member of the leadership group at the GC and they are pretty much guaranteed to win a flag in five years. And then there is the money.

craigsahibee
19-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Stevo is reporting that Harbrow could receive $500K a season. You can't begrudge him of that. Am I right in assuming the more lucrative the offer, the better our compensation is?

Mantis
19-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Stevo is reporting that Harbrow could receive $500K a season. You can't begrudge him of that. Am I right in assuming the more lucrative the offer, the better our compensation is?

Money + age of player is taken into account.

And to those posters who are thinking that it's all about the money, well you really should no better.

1eyedog
19-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Yep - was saying the same thing last night, walking away from the 'G. If you're not with us - you're against us. We developed him, we gave him a dream career - he's leaving for the money.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Or do. Just get the **** out.

Give him a break, we developed him but he was a gun in the making and it was just lucky that we had Clayton at the time.

1st - His Mum, she has been unwell for a few years and indigenous players are always very close to their families.

A long way back is the money, he wants to be with his mum and he loves his girlfriend, it just so happens that GC have offered him a contract worth (reportedly 500K). Shit hot!

If that was me I would say bye bye to my company, thanks for all the fish.

Get with the times people and just wait for the rat race that becomes free agency.

Good on him and thanks for your (exceptional) service.

lemmon
19-09-2010, 11:09 PM
If he does leave, then good riddance. The Bulldogs gave him an opportunity nobody else would, we rookied him then put him on the senior list based on 'what may be' rather then performance. We have invested a lot into him and taken a certain risk but just as we are being re-payed with his performance he jumps ship for lifestyle, money and guaranteed success. Many footballers move away from family and friends but are loyal enough to repay they faith shown in them by the club and stick it out. Loyalty is one of the highest qualities a person can have and if Harbrow jumps ship then its a quality he lacks and he doesn't deserve what our football club can offer. If he does leave, good riddance and hopefully Bazza doesn't kill you the next time our club and your franchise meet on the field.

The Coon Dog
19-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Gold Coast Suns may get hurt Harbrow

Mark Stevens - Herald Sun - 20 September

IF HE moves north, as expected, Jarrod Harbrow will spend the first three to four months at the Gold Coast in rehab.

Harbrow played the final 10 weeks of the Western Bulldogs' season with a seriously damaged shoulder.

He needs a reconstruction, meaning he is unlikely to be back in full training until after Christmas.

Harbrow's shoulder was "loose" throughout the run to the finals and he needed time off from Rounds 18 to 20 to rest it.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gold-coast-suns-may-get-hurt-harbrow/story-e6frf9jf-1225926406824)

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 11:37 PM
He is gone, sadly :(

AndrewP6
19-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Just off topic for a moment, JH40 what is your avatar?

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Just off topic for a moment, JH40 what is your avatar?

Photo of Rene Bourque (my favourite hockey player) standing with a hockey stick, in front of a Calgary Flames logo.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Give him a break, we developed him but he was a gun in the making and it was just lucky that we had Clayton at the time.

1st - His Mum, she has been unwell for a few years and indigenous players are always very close to their families.

A long way back is the money, he wants to be with his mum and he loves his girlfriend, it just so happens that GC have offered him a contract worth (reportedly 500K). Shit hot!

If that was me I would say bye bye to my company, thanks for all the fish.

Get with the times people and just wait for the rat race that becomes free agency.

Good on him and thanks for your (exceptional) service.

Its sad if we lose him because he has developed into a gun player but I wouldnt begrudge him his choice, he would have his reasons, whatever they are, I say good luck unless your playing us.

AndrewP6
19-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Photo of Rene Bourque (my favourite hockey player) standing with a hockey stick, in front of a Calgary Flames logo.

Ah OK, thanks... don't follow hockey, that's why I didn't recognise it.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Ah OK, thanks... don't follow hockey, that's why I didn't recognise it.

Yeah, not a lot of people do follow it here.

I recently started up a blog (basically in the last few days) about ice hockey in Australia, to try and help promote it a little, if people read it that is. lol.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Harbrow, good luck at the GC Suns. I wish you no ill will or harm - footy is a business these days, and clubs will yell "loyalty, loyalty" when it suits them, and then shaft a player when he no longers suits their purposes. They can't then turn around, and complain when a player leaves for the money (see Campbell Brown as a classic example).

Have really enjoyed his run and carry this year, and will miss seeing the "Harbrow Shimmy" in the Red White 'n Blue in 2011.

Of course, I'm assuming he's going, but it seems like he is.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 12:07 AM
How come so many resented Nafan Brown for leaving for money and "success", yet Harbrow is doing essentially the same (but softened in peoples eyes because of "family reasons") and the majority are like "Yeah, good luck!".

What's stopping his girlfriend from moving south? A job? Well, Jarrod has one of those too.

Ergh, I don't know. Clearly money reasons. I don't wish him luck. To be perfectly honest, I'm bitter, and I'm p***** at him. Way to repay the only club that bothered giving you a chance.

Before I Die
20-09-2010, 01:07 AM
How come so many resented Nafan Brown for leaving for money and "success", yet Harbrow is doing essentially the same (but softened in peoples eyes because of "family reasons") and the majority are like "Yeah, good luck!".
What's stopping his girlfriend from moving south? A job? Well, Jarrod has one of those too.

Ergh, I don't know. Clearly money reasons. I don't wish him luck. To be perfectly honest, I'm bitter, and I'm p***** at him. Way to repay the only club that bothered giving you a chance.

Because Nafan wasn't going home and because the arrival of GC17 and GWS have changed the landscape. Harbrow won't be just getting a pay rise. He will be getting money we simply can't get close to and he will be going home. I am also pretty confident he won't be guilty of bagging us after he is gone. I wish him well and I hope he gets as much as possible, because our compensation is tied to his salary. :D

EasternWest
20-09-2010, 08:46 AM

Because he bald face lied and said he believed Richmond were more chance of a flag. If you've ever seen footy, you know how big a lie that is.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Because he bald face lied and said he believed Richmond were more chance of a flag. If you've ever seen footy, you know how big a lie that is.

Haha, true.

Mofra
20-09-2010, 11:22 AM

Not eneryone resents Brown leaving.
He just made the AA squad and we offered him a contract that was a paycut, despite increased output.
In the real world, most people would look at their options under that scenario.

In any case, Brown & Harbrow are leaving for different reasons. If we matched Harbrow's offer dollar for dollar, I'd still expect him to leave.

comrade
20-09-2010, 12:03 PM
In any case, Brown & Harbrow are leaving for different reasons. If we matched Harbrow's offer dollar for dollar, I'd still expect him to leave.

So why don't GC save themselves a few hundred thousand and offer him a contract worth $350K?

If it's personal reasons that are the motivating factor, surely Clayton is throwing away money?

The Coon Dog
20-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Emma Quayle tweeting that Harbrow is officially a GC player.

Scraggers
20-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Emma Quayle tweeting that Harbrow is officially a GC player.

Gold Coast's website makes it official

link (http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news-and-media/news/gold-coast-suns-welcome-harbrow-back-to-queensland/page-1/)

Topdog
20-09-2010, 12:16 PM
http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news-and-media/news/gold-coast-suns-welcome-harbrow-back-to-queensland/page-1/

cinder
20-09-2010, 12:22 PM
:(
Good luck Jarrod ...

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Well, lucky I didn't end up putting 40 on the back :(

FriendlyFires
20-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Even though I knew it was coming, it still hurts :(

Desipura
20-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Good luck Jarrod ...
I dont wish him any luck, I can understand that he went for the money. He is an ex dogs player, end of story.

1eyedog
20-09-2010, 12:32 PM
I understand all the reasons, but piss off and I hope you get cleaned up by Barry next year.

Mantis
20-09-2010, 12:33 PM
So why don't GC save themselves a few hundred thousand and offer him a contract worth $350K?

If it's personal reasons that are the motivating factor, surely Clayton is throwing away money?

1. How do you know they didn't? My guess is they did, but as they didn't receive a positive response they continued to up the offer. If Jarrod was always going, which was probably the case why not hold out for some extra cash?

2. Scott seems to be quite good at that.

chef
20-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Good luck Jarrod ...

Break a leg Jarrod:mad:

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 12:44 PM
I dont wish him any luck, I can understand that he went for the money. He is an ex dogs player, end of story.

I hate how we have made him and can lose him, just like that. I agree with Desipura, he's just an ex dogs player now, lets move on, what are we gunna use his pick for!? :rolleyes:

EasternWest
20-09-2010, 12:45 PM
I dunno. Despite the reasons for him leaving being debated (it does come down to money IMO. Everything else is a factor, but if you get offered a bucketload more it's hard to turn down (thanks Griff)), for some reason I can't hold a grudge against JH.

Good luck mate, I've loved watching your dash off the half back. Probably my favourite memory of you was when you backed into Brown in the final and spoiled him twice, with no regard for your own wellbeing. We'll miss you, but we'll be fine.

Desipura
20-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Break a leg Jarrod:mad:

Get Picko to line him up with a hip and shoulder, hope his shoulder is strong enough to take it.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Bye Harbrow :(

chef
I hate how we have made him and can lose him, just like that. I agree with Desipura, he's just an ex dogs player now, lets move on, what are we gunna use his pick for!? :rolleyes:

When do we find out what compo we get?

Murphy'sLore
Sad to see you go, Jarrod, but wish you all the best. (Well, not quite all...)

He's made his decision, no doubt he thought long and hard. It's all very well for us to say that he shouldn't value family and partner (and a shedload of money) ahead of love for the club, but seriously... Can't blame him.

He'll be sorely missed, that's for sure.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 12:50 PM
He will be missed. I wish him no luck in his future endeavours. Money hungry whore!

I know it's nasty but like I've said, the whole family thing is a poor excuse.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 12:50 PM
We look slower already!

I wish him good luck. He has played this year under duress and has done everything we could ask.

Players have every right to go where they want, especially as we signed up to the expansion of the national competition. How would you like it if you could not transfer elsewhere in your job?

One door closes, another one opens. We just don't know yet what gem we will receive in return.

The Coon Dog
20-09-2010, 12:52 PM
When do we find out what compo we get?

I'd say we'll know within 24 hours. The GC seem to have had these contracts/signings into the AFL well in advance of the signings & they have been pretty prompt with the compensation advice.

End of first round, say about pick 28, what do we do?

I guess the options are:

a) Bank it for another year (within the next 5)?

b) Use it in this years National Draft?

c) Use it during Trade Week to secure an established player?

Rocco Jones
20-09-2010, 12:55 PM
I'd say we'll know within 24 hours. The GC seem to have had these contracts/signings into the AFL well in advance of the signings & they have been pretty prompt with the compensation advice.

I guess the options are:

It will be interesting to see how clubs go about it. It makes sense to wait a couple of years until after the compromised drafts are over but it will be very hard for coaches to be that selfless.

Sedat
20-09-2010, 12:56 PM
For the cost of a speculative rookie selection, we will be compensated with potentially 2 first-round picks and we got great service out of him. We also have a more than adequate replacement in this specific role with Easton Wood, and Harbrow's shoulders may end up being a long-term concern for the Suns - it will certainly restrict his 2011 output significantly.

I'm not feeling as upset about this as some others. Whether or not it is solely for the money, we will be adequately compensated and we will not lose much at all with his direct on-field replacement.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 12:57 PM

I guess the options are:

I would say B is out we would all think we will have 2 FS with our first 2 picks so if they were bidded on it would be a waste. I would put it out as trade bait and if nothing eventuated then Bank it.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 12:59 PM

Any chance they'll be generous and give us a end of 3rd / start of 4th pick aswell? :rolleyes:

chef
20-09-2010, 01:00 PM

I guess the options are:

If we do only receive a pick at the end of the first round then I think we would do c).

always right
20-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Pick 28 potentially gets you another Roughead or Jones....but there are no guarantees.

Seems inadequate compensation for someone like Harbrow. If you traded him for another player you would expect to get something good....he seems more like a pick under 20 to me. I think we are going to come out losers on this one.:(

The Pie Man
20-09-2010, 01:03 PM
I dunno. Despite the reasons for him leaving being debated (it does come down to money IMO. Everything else is a factor, but if you get offered a bucketload more it's hard to turn down (thanks Griff)), for some reason I can't hold a grudge against JH.

Good luck mate, I've loved watching your dash off the half back. Probably my favourite memory of you was when you backed into Brown in the final and spoiled him twice, with no regard for your own wellbeing. We'll miss you, but we'll be fine.

Was a good moment - the shimmy vs West Coast in Perth this year was 'WTF did he just do?' just awesome. I also remember round 20 last year him taking three bounces through the centre then finding Hahn by himself 20 out in the first quarter at the Gabba.

All the best JH

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 01:11 PM
I hope GC have the same luck as bulldogs in making and winning grand finals!!!

Mofra
20-09-2010, 01:13 PM
For the cost of a speculative rookie selection, we will be compensated with potentially 2 first-round picks and we got great service out of him. We also have a more than adequate replacement in this specific role with Easton Wood, and Harbrow's shoulders may end up being a long-term concern for the Suns - it will certainly restrict his 2011 output significantly.

I'm not feeling as upset about this as some others. Whether or not it is solely for the money, we will be adequately compensated and we will not lose much at all with his direct on-field replacement.
I certainly hold no grudge against Jarrad, and turning a rookie pick into potentially a first rounder is nothign to be sneezed at.

choconmientay
20-09-2010, 01:17 PM
I put myself in his shoes (family, girlfriend, going back home and on top of that ... the money to setup a secure future for himself and family) and probably come out with the same decision. I know this will break hearts and it broke my heart but I wish him well (except when he play against us).

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 01:19 PM
If C.Brown is worth a first rounder, Harbs should be worth two and a copy of Fantastic Four #48.

bornadog
20-09-2010, 01:20 PM
As far as I am concerned he is a judas, and can go get stuffed. Sorry thats how I feel.

Sockeye Salmon
20-09-2010, 01:21 PM
If we end up with a worse pick than Hawthorn got for Campbell Brown I will be physically sick.

Sockeye Salmon
20-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Interesting that GC didn't deem Harbrow worthy of a press conference and just put his announcement on their web page

choconmientay
20-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Interesting that GC didn't deem Harbrow worthy of a press conference and just put his announcement on their web page

I heard last time they did the press conference for Campbell Brown and no one (or not many) turned up ...so may be that is the reason ?!

lemmon
20-09-2010, 01:41 PM
I couldn't give a stuff about his family reasons, he's not the first bloke to move away. We made the bloke and he sold out to a franchise without repaying the clubs faith. Get stuffed if you ask me, hopefully Bazza doesn't kill you.

Scraggers
20-09-2010, 01:56 PM
If we end up with a worse pick than Hawthorn got for Campbell Brown I will be physically sick.

Brown is a Rising Star nominee, International Rules rep., All Australian, Premiership player ... Harbrow is not.

As much as I loved Harbrow, I would be surprised if we get better than Hawthorn got for Brown

chef
20-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Brown is a Rising Star nominee, International Rules rep., All Australian, Premiership player ... Harbrow is not.

As much as I loved Harbrow, I would be surprised if we get better than Hawthorn got for Brown

Harbrow will be a 200 game player for GC(plus probably an AA for them too), Brown will barely play half that.

Shouldn't compo be geared towards what the player offers their new club and not what they did at their old one?

BulldogBelle
20-09-2010, 02:02 PM
As far as I am concerned he is a judas, and can go get stuffed. Sorry thats how I feel.

Me too.

I wonder if he'll get shown to actually be pretty average, like McMahon was when he left us.

Play Picken or Addison as a defensive forward on him next year.

ReLoad
20-09-2010, 02:02 PM
The vast majority of the compensation formula is based on the players age, the length of the contract and how much its for, also thrown in is how much we were prepared to offer.

What really intrigues me about the Harbrow situation (that sounds like a Robert Ludlum novel) is when did the club find out about it, because they would have known.

Personally im glad the club was pragmatic enough to have not frog marched him out the door, he's going to be a hole in our team list and we needed him playing thats for sure.

Thanks for the fun Jarrod, nice guy, good player, such a shame you took what we gave you and you stuck it in our ears, but then again its all business isn't it.

Topdog
20-09-2010, 02:30 PM

If you were trading for Harbrow and for Brown which would you offer more to get?

BulldogBelle
20-09-2010, 02:41 PM
If you were trading for Harbrow and for Brown which would you offer more to get?

I wouldn't even give Brown a pencil to sign his contract with.

Sockeye Salmon
20-09-2010, 02:53 PM

None of which are relevant to determining compensation picks. The only things considered is age and salary.

PS. I'd argue that 'premiership player' is irrelevant to any discussion other than "when did you get the most pissed?'. All 'premiership player means is that you played in the same team as a whole lot of other good players.

EasternWest
20-09-2010, 03:01 PM
I couldn't give a stuff about his family reasons, he's not the first bloke to move away. We made the bloke and he sold out to a franchise without repaying the clubs faith. Get stuffed if you ask me, hopefully Bazza doesn't kill you.

Are you referring to our Bazza? The one that "St Kilda made and he sold out to a franchise without repaying the clubs faith"? ;)

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Time to change my name :(

Remi Moses
20-09-2010, 03:16 PM

I agree. Sorry 35,000 don't invest an emotional attachment to a "business"! He's gone for the dollar,let's not dance around it !
Let's just move on and make the most of our draft picks we'll get for him.
Didn't see thousands gutted and crying over a "business" when we got done in 97!!
If it was a business we would have taken our shares out decades ago and invested in a more successful "Business".:(

Bulldog4life
20-09-2010, 03:21 PM
It was the 16 Club Presidents who agreed for the Gold Coast team to sign uncontracted players. So in essence in some small way our Club contributed to losing Harbrow.

EasternWest
20-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Time to change my name :(

Waddaya got?

Mantis
20-09-2010, 03:38 PM
It was the 16 Club Presidents who agreed for the Gold Coast team to sign uncontracted players. So in essence in some small way our Club contributed to losing Harbrow.

The AFL gets what the AFL wants... The presidents have no say in the matter.

Mofra
20-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Are you referring to our Bazza? The one that "St Kilda made and he sold out to a franchise without repaying the clubs faith"? ;)
Touche' :cool:

Bulldog4life
20-09-2010, 03:43 PM
The AFL gets what the AFL wants... The presidents have no say in the matter.

I can't disagree with that. Nevertheless history shows us that the 16 Presidents agreed with it. That is a fact.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Waddaya got?

Something involving Morris.

DM38, Morris38 or Glove38.

Greystache
20-09-2010, 06:27 PM

How about jumping on early, LJ19?

azabob
20-09-2010, 06:29 PM
I think we are only going to get one draft pick at the end of the first round.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 06:36 PM
How about jumping on early, LJ19?

Morris is my second favourite player at the club, so will stick with him.

Scraggers
20-09-2010, 06:40 PM

Like it !!

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Like it !!

Yeah, i am leaning towards that as well.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Yeah, i am leaning towards that as well.

Good choice sir. :)

Topdog
20-09-2010, 08:47 PM

Like a glove I bet.........

I'm here all week people.

gohardorgohome
20-09-2010, 10:33 PM
I hope Harbrow gets a a heap of votes in the Brownlow.... The should add some extra influence for us to get a round one draft pick for him.

KT31
21-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Break a leg Harbrow.

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 12:21 AM
I don't wish him any harm, but I would be glad to see his form drop right away. It also looks like he will not be ready to go at the start of the season (major shoulder surgery)

Rocco Jones
21-09-2010, 12:28 AM
I hold all these thoughts/feelings towards him:

- Not angry at him leaving, I can understand it logically and emotionally. Money being an issue doesn't mean it is the main issue.

- Bitter that we were the ones to give him a go/having to be rookie listed thing but more bitter at the circumstance than him directly. Some bitterness towards him too though. :)

- Upset we have lost him because he is a gun and on the up

- Really, really hope he fails. I don't hate him but him succeeding will make the loss greater. Even if he is/was 100% pure in leaving, even it it is/was the right decision for a good man to make, it hurts the club. In this element I could not care less about whether he is right or wrong, I just want him to fail as it minimises the loss in my mind.

So overally Jarrod, I understand why you left and don't blame you but I hope your career crashes down and burns from hereon in.

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 12:40 AM

I don't like to share...just kidding, excellent choice.

It's sad to see Harbrow leave, but I've been preparing myself for it for months. I'm a bit torn- I don't begrudge him wanting to go home to his family etc. but I'm just so annoyed that we found another really special player through the rookie list, only for him to leave before we see him at his best. I don't wish him success at GC, but I don't wish him any harm either.

I'm just happy it was him and not Griffen or Cooney, to be honest. Harbrow is replaceable.

immortalmike
21-09-2010, 03:48 AM
I hope he wins the brownlow next year to go along with a whole heap of spoons. I also hope the Gold Coast fail miserably and fold within a few years (the AFL won't let it happen but who cares I'm hoping here).

Personally, I won't boo Harbrow at games but I also won't begrudge anyone who does. As far as I'm concerned he's not quite Nathan Brown but he is the enemy from now on.

EasternWest
21-09-2010, 09:08 AM

That's gold! I would lock that away.*

*Edit: I notice you already have.