PDA

View Full Version : Are the opposition ripe for the picking?

Stevo
18-02-2010, 08:25 PM
I get the impression that things aren't going as well at the Cattery as previous seasons and we all know that the Saints have had some massive distractions in between seasons despite having a great playing list.

There has to be a question mark on the boys from Carringbush and I can't see where the improvement can come from the Crows that will lift them into a GF appearance.

The Hawks might have re-found their mojo but without a quality ruckman it might be one step too many for them this year. And the Blues won't have the forward line to kick those winning scores.

So where does this leave us now that we finally have that power forward we have been searching for?

Winning a grand final isn't necessarily about having the best list but it is about peaking at the right time. If the Bulldog boys can put together strong performances at the right time I think we have the side to go all the way.

What club is out biggest threat?
What internally is our biggest threat?
Who will be the big improver's this year for us?

The Coon Dog
18-02-2010, 08:33 PM
1. Collingwood
2. Injury to a key player
3. A fit Murphy

chef
18-02-2010, 08:33 PM
I doubt think what happened at the Cats will affect them(very professional team) and what happened at the Saints will probably bring them closer together now that they don't have to be around that piece of dirt. Collingwood and Adelaide will be there abouts again. Bit hard to predict at this stage as it will come down to injuries and form IMO.

1. Adelaide
2. Ageing forward line
3. Griffen finally delivering

Mofra
18-02-2010, 09:06 PM
1. St Kilda
2. Complacency
3. Giansiracusa having a proper pre-season

boydogs
18-02-2010, 09:39 PM
1. Adelaide
2. Ruck injury/underdone Minson
3. Adam Cooney

ledge
18-02-2010, 09:58 PM
1 Geelong, a lot of experience still to be a worry.
2 Not believing.
3 Roughead

Dazza
18-02-2010, 10:08 PM
1. Saints
2. Injury to Lake
3. Hopefully Everitt

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-02-2010, 12:26 AM
1. Saints
2. Potential distraction if rumours surrounding Gold Coast poaching Bulldogs players gain credibility and traction in the football media as the season progresses.
3. A fully fit Robert Murphy

mjp
19-02-2010, 01:11 AM

Hawthorn. I am convinced they will bounce back hard - not convinced our rucks are so great around the ground we can really break the game in this area and Franklin cannot be contained.

What internally is our biggest threat?

Playing with a traditional forward line. We have been the highest scoring team in part because we were so 'different' - the opposition had to restructure, change their personnel group etc to play against us....no longer the case. If we cannot figure out how to maintain scoring efficiency, a drop to mid-table is not out of the question.

Who will be the big improver's this year for us?

Should be one of the 2007 draftees (3rd year in) - I guess Ward and Harbrow are already on track...Maybe Wood or Reid will become regulars?

The Bulldogs Bite
19-02-2010, 03:12 AM
1. St. Kilda - They're still a difficult proposition despite their off field turmoil. We haven't been able to contain Riewoldt and Hayes and neither have most other sides. Outside of them, Collingwood and Hawthorn will be fierce this year.

2. The forward half slowing down. It's made up of predominately older players of Johnson, Akermanis, Hall and even Hahn. If they don't maintain their output then we aren't going to be as good as we were.

3. Murphy/Cooney fully fit. Otherwise Wood - really been impressed with the way he's been able to continually improve. I expect an impressive year out of him. Another one to watch in the second half of the year is Reid who I'd have in my best 22.

Mantis
19-02-2010, 08:57 AM
2. Complacency

Gee you would hope not.

Sure if we were in Geelong's position and had won 2 of the last 3 flags I tend to think we could become complacent, but we haven't even made a GF yet.

Go_Dogs
19-02-2010, 09:54 AM

Hawthorn. I am convinced they will bounce back hard - not convinced our rucks are so great around the ground we can really break the game in this area and Franklin cannot be contained.

I must say, Hawthorn are the one team that scares me, and most of that is built around the worst game I've been to - the finals loss in 2008. They have some terrific players, and super star forwards. Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell, Lewis, Burgoyne, Rioli - that's some talent right there.

At their best, they are just unstoppable. They hit the contest hard, they tackle fiercely, their skills are good and they have guys who can kick bags of goals. IMO, the biggest threat w/o doubt.

Mofra
19-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Gee you would hope not.

Sure if we were in Geelong's position and had won 2 of the last 3 flags I tend to think we could become complacent, but we haven't even made a GF yet.
Would hope - but players can believe their own hype and forget the work that is required, a la the end to our 2007.

Mantis
19-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Would hope - but players can believe their own hype and forget the work that is required, a la the end to our 2007.

From reports our pre-season has been tougher again and our players have responded well. Last year we were probably the fittest team in the competition which was evidenced by the way we ran games out so hopefully we can stay ahead of the pack.

I also don't think you can draw a comparison to the 07 season as we were hard hit by injuries in the 2nd half of the year (especially in the midfield) and our performances were effected as a direct result.

Greystache
19-02-2010, 11:31 AM
1. St Kilda
2. Lake getting injured
3. Hall

LostDoggy
19-02-2010, 12:12 PM
I must say, Hawthorn are the one team that scares me, and most of that is built around the worst game I've been to - the finals loss in 2008. They have some terrific players, and super star forwards. Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell, Lewis, Burgoyne, Rioli - that's some talent right there.

At their best, they are just unstoppable. They hit the contest hard, they tackle fiercely, their skills are good and they have guys who can kick bags of goals. IMO, the biggest threat w/o doubt.

And yet, we beat them by a hundred points (for all intents and purposes) last year.

I still think that most of their list (especially their forwardline, and Rioli -- obvious deliciousness notwithstanding) is over-rated after a stellar year with a gameplan that took the competition by surprise. The list is good, but no better than, say, Adelaide's or Collingwood's, and certainly doesn't have the depth of a Geelong.

Their fortunes this year depend largely on (apart from Franklin, who has been reduced from unstoppable freak to very good player, having largely been worked out by defensive coaches) Burgoyne and Bateman, the two guys on their list who can actually break the lines (by speed or disposal) and get the transition game working for their forwards. Mitchell and Sewell, good as they are, are comfortably covered by most of the other on-ball brigades of the contenders.

Clarkson is their strongest asset, and it remains to be seen if he can repeat the magic of 2008.

LostDoggy
19-02-2010, 12:14 PM
I also don't think you can draw a comparison to the 07 season as we were hard hit by injuries in the 2nd half of the year (especially in the midfield) and our performances were effected as a direct result.

And half the list didn't do a real pre-season. This time everyone bar a couple have had stellar pre-seasons.

bornadog
19-02-2010, 12:21 PM
1. Saints are the team to beat again, we struggled with their style of play and need to really think our game plan when playing them. They only lost a couple of games for the whole season and unlucky not to win the big one.

2. Biggest internal threat is injuries and relying too much on ageing players. We need the younger players to step up and keep improving. Injuries can kill a teams chance to make the GF.

3. Big improvers will be:

* Everitt - I think he will step up this season and start to show us his true potential
* Ward and Harbrow to continue their good form and start to really impact games
* Stack - to start pushing for regular games, make or break season for him.

LostDoggy
19-02-2010, 12:40 PM
To answer the OP, there's never an easy season -- and any year could be 'the year' if everything clicks. Last year could well have been us in the GF, too, but having said that:

1. Adelaide, and Collingwood:

I think Adelaide are the biggest threat to us getting to a GF, not necessarily potential premiers themselves.

The Crows are always difficult at AAMI, and if they've gone up a notch they will be a handful for anyone in the finals. A very, very real banana peel prospect if we have to meet them in an elimation final somewhere (shudder).

Collingwood -- they've been FAR too quiet this off-season, and coupled with their paranoia around anyone seeing their training sessions, makes me think that they're trying to keep a low profile while secretly working on some break-through game plan a'la Hawthorn 2008 and St. Kilda 2009. There's no guarantee it'll work, but Malthouse is tactically canny if nothing else, and there's always the element of surprise.

I wish WE were the ones with the crazy tactical breakthrough.. I guess we may still be.

2. The evenness of the competition, and old bogeymen:

You can throw a blanket over the top seven sides (Cats, Saints, Crows, Swans, Hawks, Collingwood and us) -- anyone can beat anyone on any given day, and the next four/five or so (Carlton, Essendon, Port, Freo, West Coast) can beat any of the top seven sides on their day. We have to start okay and just keep getting better. A couple of losses at the wrong time of the season and you'll get stuck in mid-table and just be playing catch-up.

Old bogeymen include AAMI Stadium, the Swans, the Saints, Preliminary Finals, Bad Umpiring, Goalkicking Yips, Stage Fright, Silly Free Kicks, The Curse Of The Bambino, Murphy's Law, Gresham's Law, Losing After The Siren After Coming From Behind To Take The Lead etc. etc... you get my drift. We ARE the Bulldogs, after all.

[B]3. Everyone has to play their part. We've been maturing as a team, list, and individuals for five good years now, Rocket has us primed to hold the 'window' open for a while yet, the pre-season has been as good as it's been in a decade, it's time for everyone to stand up and play their role.

No more excuses, bring it on.

Mantis
19-02-2010, 01:00 PM
And yet, we beat them by a hundred points (for all intents and purposes) last year.

I still think that most of their list (especially their forwardline, and Rioli -- obvious deliciousness notwithstanding) is over-rated after a stellar year with a gameplan that took the competition by surprise. The list is good, but no better than, say, Adelaide's or Collingwood's, and certainly doesn't have the depth of a Geelong.

Their fortunes this year depend largely on (apart from Franklin, who has been reduced from unstoppable freak to very good player, having largely been worked out by defensive coaches) Burgoyne and Bateman, the two guys on their list who can actually break the lines (by speed or disposal) and get the transition game working for their forwards. Mitchell and Sewell, good as they are, are comfortably covered by most of the other on-ball brigades of the contenders.

Clarkson is their strongest asset, and it remains to be seen if he can repeat the magic of 2008.

You haven't even mentioned their backline which to a man is pretty poor. They are all reasonably good distributors of the ball, but really struggle at their primary task - 'defending'. When their cluster is out of whack and the ball is being delivered with no real pressure the floodgates invariably open up, but I guess this can happen to everyone.

Hodge played a huge role for their back half in 2008 and with him playing in duress last year and perhaps up the field this year I can't see their ability to defend improving in 2010.... This just creates more pressure on their midfield to win clearances which I guess is why they have recruited Burgoyne and shifted Hodge.

Their run & carry was also badily effected last year with the retirement of Crawford, Bateman struggling and injuries ruining the output from Young & Ladson. If the latter 3 get back to their best one would think you would see in an improvement in this area.

Hotdog60
19-02-2010, 01:59 PM
I think the big improver will be Higgins, if he remains injury free he will be in for his best year to date.
From the reports on the inter club matches and how he looked in the NAB cub game, I think were in for something special.:D

LostDoggy
19-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Their run & carry was also badily effected last year with the retirement of Crawford, Bateman struggling and injuries ruining the output from Young & Ladson. If the latter 3 get back to their best one would think you would see in an improvement in this area.

The retirement of Dew hurt them as much as Crawf, I would hesitantly suggest. He had the booming kick to break the lines and offered the one thing (other than sheer pace) that was able to exploit the field dimensions that the cluster created. Without that the Hawks were as prone as their opponents to getting bogged down and isolated in their own zone. Burgoyne brings a similar asset, albeit a classier version of it, so he may well be the key to their fortunes this year, if he stays fit.