View Full Version : Minson's Deadly Poison

Scraggers
19-02-2010, 04:53 AM
Banned soy milk puts Will Minson on the brink

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2010/02/19/1225831/996757-will-minson.jpg

* Scott Gullan
* Herald Sun
* February 19, 2010

WESTERN Bulldogs ruckman Will Minson is recovering from a major health scare caused by a bad batch of soy milk.

In what his doctor described as a potentially lethal problem, Minson found out last month his daily soy milk drink was slowly poisoning him.

The issue was discovered when Minson returned from the Christmas break feeling lethargic, 8kg lighter, and finding the most basic training drill, such as running a lap, almost impossible.

After a battery of tests failed to locate the problem, a hunch by club doctor Jake Landsberger to test Minson's thyroid revealed a dangerous level of iodine.

Full article (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/banned-soy-milk-puts-will-minson-on-the-brink/story-e6frf9jf-1225831995149)

Remi Moses
19-02-2010, 06:42 AM
All the best to Will I think he deserves a medal for drinking Soy Milk!!!!Great once again by our medical team

stefoid
19-02-2010, 08:57 AM
bizzare.

stefoid
19-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Looks like Roughhead could be a chance to play a few early games then, if WIll has a bit of conditioning to get back, plus his toe.

angelopetraglia
19-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Begs the question. What is he doing drinking Soy milk?

LostDoggy
19-02-2010, 10:23 AM

From Japan?
:P

Ozza
19-02-2010, 10:31 AM

He is probably lactose intolerant. Thats why I have to have soy milk anyways.

BulldogBelle
19-02-2010, 12:08 PM

According to Luke Darcy on MMM this morning 'anyone who drinks soy milk desrves to get sick!'

jazzadogs
19-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Looks like Roughhead could be a chance to play a few early games then, if WIll has a bit of conditioning to get back, plus his toe.
My initial reaction to the article was maybe there isn't actually that much of a problem with his toe, they were just using the toe as an excuse to hide the fact that he was ill.

Or is his toe still a problem?

Either way, I can't see them bringing him in unless he plays a couple of games before round 1. Roughy can handle Cameron Wood.

BulldogBelle
19-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Speedy recovery to Will, at least now they know what was causing his fatigue and loss of weight.

Mantis
19-02-2010, 01:05 PM
My initial reaction to the article was maybe there isn't actually that much of a problem with his toe, they were just using the toe as an excuse to hide the fact that he was ill.

Either way, I can't see them bringing him in unless he plays a couple of games before round 1. Roughy can handle Cameron Wood.

Toe problem has been rectified for some time now.

Without knowing I would suspect that Minson wouldn't be too far away from joining in full training (he may have already done so) and would think he would still be ok to play come rd 1... I guess where he plays will depend on his fitness & form and how Roughead is travelling.

Ozza
19-02-2010, 01:17 PM
According to Luke Darcy on MMM this morning 'anyone who drinks soy milk desrves to get sick!'

Pretty idiotic comment from Darce!

ledge
19-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Pretty idiotic comment from Darce!

Why? he is probably pointing out that it tastes yuk.:D

Hotdog60
19-02-2010, 02:04 PM
My son can't tolerate cow protein, so some of the different milk substitutes we had him on I can say Yuk also. The worst one when he was very young was made from potato starch, one sip of that stuff made me sick.:)

LostDoggy
19-02-2010, 03:34 PM

Only if he keeps eating... toe-fu!

Soy milk, FFS! Big Will, unless you're lactose intolerant get a few gallons of the good stuff into you and get back to being the Raging Bull!

People are meant to drink milk. That's why God invented cows.

LostDoggy
19-02-2010, 03:39 PM
I don't reckon his toe was that big of an issue. They wouldn't want to say Will isn't training cos he looks like he is about to turn into a vegetable and we don't know why it's happening.

LostDoggy
19-02-2010, 04:28 PM
FYI - soy milk is precursor to estrogen which in this case might explain a lot...

Drop the soy crap Will - or you will end up a women : P

LostDoggy
19-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Should have seen my face this morning at 6.30 on the way to work....i nearly cried.....

Very very glad its all worked out now and they know the problem....

All the best to Will....hope top see him out on the ground very very soon....

LostDoggy
19-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Only if he keeps eating... toe-fu!

Soy milk, FFS! Big Will, unless you're lactose intolerant get a few gallons of the good stuff into you and get back to being the Raging Bull!

People are meant to drink milk. That's why God invented cows.

Please watch the movie Snatch ;)

The Underdog
19-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Funnily enough Bonsoy is by far the best tasting (and most expensive) Soy milk out there. There's numerous reasons he might drink soy milk.
I'm not sure how drinking soy milk is less natural than milk from a cow but it's good to see the great australian tradition of narrow minded exclusionism is alive and well.

jazzadogs
20-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Paul Williams was on SEN yesterday, and my radio is crackly so I may have misheard, but I believe he said that Minson is not lactose intolerant, but just a "weird cat".

ledge
20-02-2010, 01:54 PM
It helps him play his musical instrument ?? keeps his lips lubbed :)

KT31
21-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Who would have guessed milk from a plant being suss.
All the best to Big Will and lets hope he has a great season.

If not lactose intolerant why would you even go near the stuff ?

One possible side effect is it weakens the immune system, not what you need in an athelete, when they are alredy taking their body to the limit.
Surely a club doctor would reccomend to Will, or any other player for that matter, not use use Soy Milk.
Add that to its is imported and most likely dilluted with polluted water, not sure what he was thinking.

LostDoggy
21-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Funnily enough Bonsoy is by far the best tasting (and most expensive) Soy milk out there. There's numerous reasons he might drink soy milk.
I'm not sure how drinking soy milk is less natural than milk from a cow but it's good to see the great australian tradition of narrow minded exclusionism is alive and well.

Well said Underdog - totally agree with you - Bonsoy is certainly by far the best tasting Soy drink out there. I ask the question - why do adults need to drink milk? Most people ingest too much dairy, and we would all feel better cutting it back. I guess all things in moderation. I'm glad the medical staff worked out the issue and hope that Wilbur is on the road to recovery :)

AndrewP6
21-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Hope you've learnt your lesson WILLLBUR... that soy milk is evil. Just evil. And tastes bad too.

Mofra
22-02-2010, 11:27 AM
VitaSoy has quite a good taste - I drank soy for years and that was my choice. I stopped when I started going to the gym & swimming more - Soy is a testosterone inhibitor so I'm surprised they let footballers touch the stuff to be honest.

The Adelaide Connection
22-02-2010, 09:18 PM
FYI - soy milk is precursor to estrogen which in this case might explain a lot...

Drop the soy crap Will - or you will end up a women : P

Is it just me or does the photo of Will from this article have a bit of Ferrigno's "Hulk" going on about it?

Maybe he needs some estrogen to stop him from turning green and going mental.:D

Dancin' Douggy
23-02-2010, 08:33 PM
The club needs to get back to 'core values'.
Dimmies, potato cakes, chiko rolls, hamburgers in batter, for a side serve of vegetables (shudder) chips. and for vitamins and manly vigour, stout.

Sockeye Salmon
23-02-2010, 10:15 PM
The club needs to get back to 'core values'.
Dimmies, potato cakes, chiko rolls, hamburgers in batter, for a side serve of vegetables (shudder) chips. and for vitamins and manly vigour, stout.

Cookie, Jakovich and Lally would all be back in a flash.

Dancin' Douggy
25-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Danny Delre might "stick his nose in the trough" as well.