PDA

View Full Version : Is NAB cup about discovering or winning?

choconmientay
19-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Guys,

Would you prefer us to go all the way and win the NAB cup or just focus on tidying up all the deficits and discover possible newcomers?

Geelong did it quite well last year and win both NAB cup and premiership but they did struggle a bit with the forms and fitness at the end of the season.

For my liking, I prefer us not to peek too early and concentrate more toward the PS.

Cheers.

Dazza
19-02-2010, 01:26 PM
I think we should use the NAB cup for a bit of experimenting and giving the youngsters a bit of experience to play in front of semi decent crowds, television cameras and some bigger bodied AFL players.

Swoop
19-02-2010, 02:18 PM
At the end of the day our main objective is being prepared for Round 1 and the 2010 season ahead. I would assume this is a combination of making sure the senior players are up and ready to go for round 1 while developing a blend of youth in order to give them a taste in case they are required throughout the season.

Most players are coming off different preparations due to surgery, injuries, age and fitness levels and that will ultimately dictate how much of a part they play in the preseason.

Game style and refining plans and set plays will also contribute somewhat but we need to keep an eye on the bigger picture.

Win/loss would be purely a by product of these focuses and not a major factor in planning and preparation.

ledge
19-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Win is always good for confidence, so is a good showing, I bet the Tigers and Bombers felt a little deflated as the supporters would, its still important not to get smashed in any games leading up to a season, membership wise and confidence.

chef
19-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Wouldn't bother me if we lost and ended up playing a game in Bendigo or Shepp;).

angelopetraglia
19-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Agree. Not important to win.

However very important not to be smashed.

LostDoggy
19-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Is there still that $1mill bonus if you win both the NAB Cup and GF?
And to answer your question, If we can win all the way through the GF, then win away :D But if they need to lose to not 'burn out' then lose away! :D

GVGjr
19-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Guys,

Would you prefer us to go all the way and win the NAB cup or just focus on tidying up all the deficits and discover possible newcomers?

Geelong did it quite well last year and win both NAB cup and premiership but they did struggle a bit with the forms and fitness at the end of the season.

You can do both. We can blood the right players and we can win the competition if we really want to.

Rocco Jones
19-02-2010, 09:00 PM
You can do both. We can blood the right players and we can win the competition if we really want to.

That's right.

It seems like some fans think that losing in it's self helps you for the proper season.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-02-2010, 09:02 PM
It's important to instill a winning culture. it's taken a couple of years, but we've now finally done that. A few years ago - we very much didn't know how to win. Confidence is everything in footy and there's never any harm in winning a game of football.

At the same time, you do want to prepare for Round 1 which may mean resting certain players. It's all about balance, but as GVG said, you can do both.

GVGjr
19-02-2010, 09:02 PM
That's right.

It seems like some fans think that losing in it's self helps you for the proper season.

Of course everyone would want to win the H&A premiership more so than the NAB cup but I find it strange that we never make it a priority especially given the way it would pump up memberships.

With the extended list and more mature rookies we could have a go at it without compromising the season.

BulldogBelle
19-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Of course everyone would want to win the H&A premiership more so than the NAB cup but I find it strange that we never make it a priority especially given the way it would pump up memberships.

Not only pump up the memberships but it would also give our players such a confidence boost to win it.

LostDoggy
19-02-2010, 09:13 PM

Agree.

Don't see any harm in trying to win the thing, but still giving the kids a go. A winning mentality is always good, Geelong can attest to that.

mighty_west
19-02-2010, 09:34 PM
The NAB Cup is obviously used to get the players right for round one, that is the priority, then rest a few others down the track, in the mean time give some game time to some of the kids, try a few things here & there.

That said, I'm sure the team, once they cross that white line, make no mistake, they want to win, if they didn't, they shouldn't be competing.

choconmientay
19-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Win is always good for confidence, so is a good showing, I bet the Tigers and Bombers felt a little deflated as the supporters would, its still important not to get smashed in any games leading up to a season, membership wise and confidence.

But sometimes, specially for young players, they could build up false confident (seems to be the case with Carlton few years back - if my memory served me right ... - they won the NAB cup but end up really low in the season.

Also, if your timing is not right and peek too early (Hawthorn, judging by the last NAB cup game seems to be peeking already) you may/will finish the season on not so high note.

btw, could any of our young players from the last few years make a breakthrough to the senior list utilizing the pre-season cup games? ( sorry for the noob question but I am quite a puppy regarding bulldogs history and the AFL game)

choconmientay
19-02-2010, 09:44 PM
\

Win/loss would be purely a by product of these focuses and not a major factor in planning and preparation.

I quite like this sentence :)

choconmientay
19-02-2010, 09:48 PM

With the extended list and more mature rookies we could have a go at it without compromising the season.

Maybe, it is still in everyone heads that winning the pre-season cup doesn't give you anything and it is really what it is: a test platform for young, emerging players.

mighty_west
19-02-2010, 09:50 PM
But sometimes, specially for young players, they could build up false confident (seems to be the case with Carlton few years back - if my memory served me right ... - they won the NAB cup but end up really low in the season.

It shouldn't make any difference either way, Carlton won it a few times, Geelong won it last year, and they were Premiers in 2009, it's a totally separate comp to the main season, and should be seen that way.

It shouldn't give false hope, just be taken for what is it, a glorified practice match comp that different teams try different things given how they are structured to that time of the pre season.

I don't subscribe to the teams that win the NAB Cup go too hard too early and take their eyes off the main season, i believe it depends on where the teams are situated that media & people in the public need to find excuses & stories just to have their say, it means nothing.

If the Dogs won the NAB Cup this year, does that mean they have peaked too early or taken their eye's off what they have been training all pre season for? off course not.

Some peoople seem to think that Carlton winning the NAB Cup went too hard too early, load of garbage imo, they did well winning the NAB, and either way, would have struggled throughout the season given where they were at development wise either way.

Too many people read into things that aren't really there.

KT31
20-02-2010, 12:38 AM
I agree its about blooding younger players and helping them settle into our game plan, seeing their capabilities under preasure etc.
But since the great KT went down it has been more about worrying about pre season injuries.