PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to see them go

GVGjr
20-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Which players that have departed the Bulldogs to play at other sides were you most sorry (not angry) to see them go?

To me there is 3 players that spring to mind.

The Star
Tony McGuinness - He left us to join the new Adelaide side and I rated him as one of the best players I have seen play for us.
Freddie was a great kick and one of the hardest workers in the midfield. A huge loss for the club but you could understand why he left to return home.

Tony McGuinness thread (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=140)

Capable of more
Simon Cox - Left us to join the Hawks under some strange circumstances that was probably never fully explained. I liked him as a player and he had a great kick but he never reached his potential as far as I am concerned.

Poorly advised
Luke Penny - Probably a victim of less than satisfactory culture of the club at that time and being poorly advised by his manager. For years we searched for a good young tall defender but we never saw the best of Penny

Lets not turn this into a Nathan Brown bashing thread but can you name a player or two that you were genuinely upset that they left us?

ledge
20-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Doug Hawkins,
BernieQuinlan,
Barry Round.

Doug? well it was only one season and he did serve us enormously.

Bernie and Barry both got better when they left us, Barry had reason to leave, Gary Dempsey was the man then, but nowadays 2 ruckmen would be good.

Bernie, we all knew how good he was, why he left I dont know the story, can anyone fill me in?

LostDoggy
20-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Tom Alvin

He didn't even get to play a game with us!

mighty_west
20-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Brad Hardie.

His two season swith us were just sensational, especially his first, played some good footy up in Brissy, even snagging 9 goals in one game, but was never the same after he left us, was one of my favourite players at the time.

Agree with GVGjr on McGuiness, was just an out & out gun midfielder, pure class.

ledge
20-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Tom Alvin

He didn't even get to play a game with us!

Oh yeah, so much hype he was ours, can anyone remind me on how we lost him ?

Flamethrower
20-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Murray Rance...a bit of a battler who gave his all, plus if he played a few more seasons we could have got his son under the F&S rule too.

Brett Montgomery...Monty was one of my favorites.

Doug Hawkins...sad to see him in the "hated" Fitzroy jumper.

Mantis
20-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Kym Koster - Thought he was becoming a pretty handy player when he left to go back to Adelaide.

Agree with the calls on McGuinness, he was a damn fine player and it was a shame that he left as he would have been handy in '92.

BulldogBelle
20-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Jim Edmond - I was absolutely devastated when he left. As a kid growing up he was my favourite and the number 20 was always on display on my duffle coat and my dogs jumpers. I remember it being a sad day when he moved on.

Sockeye Salmon
20-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Demps, with Bernie not far behind

GVGjr
20-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Murray Rance...a bit of a battler who gave his all, plus if he played a few more seasons we could have got his son under the F&S rule too.

I reckon you're a bit harsh calling Rance a battler because I rated his versatility.
A couple of more seasons from him would have been ideal for us.

Twodogs
20-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Demps, with Bernie not far behind

Yep Dempsey leaving was devastating to us. Especially because he chose to go to North Melbourne. I hate North with a passion and I have never forgiven him for going there.

The Tom Alvin call is interesting and might open a sub-category fopr this thread; players who should have played for us but didnt for one reason or another.

O' Dwyer (cant remember his first name but he was always called "Strawb") who went to Melbourne and got an AA rucking position in the late '80s.

The Coon Dog
20-02-2010, 03:31 PM
O' Dwyer (cant remember his first name but he was always called "Strawb") who went to Melbourne and got an AA rucking position in the late '80s.

We swapped him for a little fella you might have enjoyed watching Twodogs, a bloke called Bamblett.

GVGjr
20-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Losing Hardie and Quinlan really hurt.

The Coon Dog
20-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Similar to this thread:

Which player leaving hurt you the most (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4606)

cnmin2
20-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Two players leaving that hurt me where Demps and David Thorpe. Actually I hate it when
any good player leaves.

bulldogsfight
20-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Bob Spargo - I wore No 8 as a kid (because everyone wore 3)
Daniel Hargraeves - saw him win games for us v Gee and Car as a young CHF . thought he could of been anyrhing

bulldogsfight
20-02-2010, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=Twodogs;137320]Yep Dempsey leaving was devastating to us. Especially
The Tom Alvin call is interesting and might open a sub-category fopr this thread; players who should have played for us but didnt for one reason or another.

Ian Robertson went to Carlton , was in Footscrays zone, for a bonus point who did we get in the trade?

cnmin2
20-02-2010, 07:06 PM

Ian Robertson went to Carlton , was in Footscrays zone, for a bonus point who did we get in the trade?[/QUOTE]

Barry Vagg was sigend with the dogs years ago,he told me we offerd him a job with the
council ,Melbourne offered a business oppertunity.

KT31
20-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Dougie in a Fitzroy jumper was sad.
Quinlan was my favourite player when he left.
Magic was another that I thought we could have utilised better.
Recently Cameron to the Tigers wasn't flash.
But the worst for me ( and I know its predictable)was Templeton going to Melbourne was gut wrenching.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Monty was the one I hated to see leave. I followed his career quite a bit when he went to Port Adelaide, and he really was crucial in those few important years for Port including 2004.

LostDoggy
20-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Oh yeah, so much hype he was ours, can anyone remind me on how we lost him ?

Tom played in the Latrobe Valley and he was zoned to Footscray however those Carlton Scumbags wet down there and plonked a brown paper bag full of money on their kitchen table and BINGO he was a Carlton player!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps this is why Peter Jackson is sniffing around the Bulldogs

"How Come They Have So Many Good Players" ?????

LostDoggy
20-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Stephen Boyle

Left in tragic circumstances, can anyone finish the story?

I think it was at the Junction Oval?

Sockeye Salmon
20-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Stephen Boyle

Left in tragic circumstances, can anyone finish the story?

I think it was at the Junction Oval?

Cowboy Neale.

Sockeye Salmon
20-02-2010, 08:50 PM
We traded Geoff Raines for Marty McMillian

Hotdog60
20-02-2010, 09:16 PM
We traded Geoff Raines for Marty McMillian

oops!!

LostDoggy
20-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Monty was the one I hated to see leave. I followed his career quite a bit when he went to Port Adelaide, and he really was crucial in those few important years for Port including 2004.

Monty.

My favourite player at the time and was wrapped to see him come back to us.

Screw you Brodie Holland :mad:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-02-2010, 10:38 PM
As a very young boy at the time, losing Templeton really crushed me. We were a rabble at the time and KT was arguably our only star player (albeit one whose knees were shot- but I didn't know about this til I was older).

I was also stunned when I found out Jim Edmond left us for Sydney. Was he our captain at the time?

KT31
20-02-2010, 10:52 PM
As a very young boy at the time, losing Templeton really crushed me. We were a rabble at the time and KT was arguably our only star player (albeit one whose knees were shot- but I didn't know about this til I was older).

I was also stunned when I found out Jim Edmond left us for Sydney. Was he our captain at the time?

One of a long line of captains who left and went to another club.
This could be a thread all by itself.

Max469
20-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Monty

Leon Cameron

Brad Hardie

Tony McGuiness

Neil Cordy

Stevo
20-02-2010, 11:14 PM
The bigger names are too easy. Stephen Powell for mine

The Coon Dog
21-02-2010, 12:14 AM
I hated seeing blokes go that didn't really want to; Barry Round, Mick McKenna, Chris Burton, Darren Baxter, Michael Ford, Brett Montgomery & Leon Cameron.

LostDoggy
21-02-2010, 12:23 AM
I hated seeing blokes go that didn't really want to; Barry Round, Mick McKenna, Chris Burton, Darren Baxter, Michael Ford, Brett Montgomery & Leon Cameron.

Agree TCD, i was shattered when Leon went.

Remi Moses
21-02-2010, 01:14 AM
Gotta go with in order Dempsey - Gutted when he left us to ''Play in a premiership'' Thankfully didn't come to fruition
Edmond - Apparently left for money from Dr X [who didn't actually have any] wonder if Jock got invited to the wedding:p
Templeton- Left for the filtthy lucre [Chicago 1 tipped abucket of coins in front of him at the w/o] Knee was stuffed remember seeing KT struggling to kick 35 metres.

Special mention to Mcguiness,Hardie anda cast of thousands and some metrosexual who went to Richmond

Scraggers
21-02-2010, 05:28 AM
1. Douglas Hawkins (glad Scotty West didn't go down the same path)
2. Michael 'Magic' McClean
3. Brad Hardie (still calls himself a Western Bulldogs fan though - A Bulldog at heart)

chef
21-02-2010, 07:39 AM
Brad Hardie for me.

LostDoggy
21-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Tom played in the Latrobe Valley and he was zoned to Footscray however those Carlton Scumbags wet down there and plonked a brown paper bag full of money on their kitchen table and BINGO he was a Carlton player!!!!!!!!!!!

That's only half the story. In the plonking down of the bag, Alvin asked "..but what about Footscray ?" to which Chris Grant's best mate replied "Just leave Footscray to us". Carlton did some sort of a deal with the club which allowed Alvin to go to Carlton. I don't know what that deal was but our administration was so poor in those days that I imagine it wasn't much of a deal.

Bernie Quinlan was the greatest loss. As I understand it, money was involved. the club was so poor and so poorly managed in those days that we survived off the "sale" of players. Players going to a Have club, David Thrope (R'mond), Denis Collins (C'ton), Alan Stoneham (E'don), Jock Edmonds (B'bane) from a Have Not club was to be expected then. Dempsey wanted to leave the uncertainty of a poor club, rumour has it he demanded cash payment before each game. Barry Round was denied opportunity at F'scray. Understandable. If the club ahd been better managed in the '70's and early '80's, we'd have been thereabouts for most of that period, the way we are now and have largely been since Tony Capes administration of the mid '80s.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Quinlan,Bissett, Mocca Dunstan and Dempsey- their leaving defined the misery of being a loyal Bulldog supporter.
Alvin- I remember the members pre-season newsletter proclaiming we had recruited a young star (somehow went to Carlton, wink, wink say no more)
Templeton I wondered if he left to benefit us whilst he and his bung knees could still demand a transfer fee.
Hardy I was glad to see go even though I saw every home game of his Brownlow year and loved every loose ball he cut of and ranga ran through the lines. When he threw his Bulldogs jumper on the ground 'cos he didn't like Malthouse's discipline, he ruined his character.

LostDoggy
21-02-2010, 07:37 PM
The two that stand out for me are Leon Cameron and Brett Montgomery, but you'd have to say that we benefited from these trades in the long run.

LostDoggy
22-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Laurence John Sandilands

Peter Box

Bulldog Revolution
22-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Hardie - I was too young to understand why two men with huge egos couldn't or wouldn't get along for the greater good

McGuinness - was never anything but honest about wanting to play for the hometown AFL team, nonetheless an absolute superstar who we get no compensation for losing

EasternWest
22-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Shane Birss - Not a big name but a guy I loved to watch because he tried his guts out. Made me sick the way St. Kilda dumped him.

Monty - Such a good player, so reliable and solid.

bornadog
22-02-2010, 04:20 PM

and Gary Dempsey. I was so angry when he left.

Others I hated losing were Jim Edmond, Magic McClean

BulldogBelle
22-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Dempsey leaving was a big one for me as he was my first fave player but agree w TCD saying its worse for the ones who didn't want to leave.

I was sad about Powell getting the flick and rang up 3AW when he was being interviewed to wish him well.

Monty :mad:

James Cook :) and KMac :D

Bulldog Joe
23-02-2010, 07:34 AM
I thought Simon Atkins would rate a mention.

Was a very good player for us and Terry Wheeler was over ruled in making him captain.
Alan Joyce just refused to play him. Simon at least guided the reserves to the flag and I recall watching him in the reserves prelim where he simply controlled the game and was effectively the coach on the ground as well.

A genuine playmaker, who set up the play with the way he got it out from the packs and fed off the handballs. I rate him up there with Scott West as a player.

chef
23-02-2010, 08:52 AM

Was a very good player for us and Terry Wheeler was over ruled in making him captain.
Alan Joyce just refused to play him. Simon at least guided the reserves to the flag and I recall watching him in the reserves prelim where he simply controlled the game and was effectively the coach on the ground as well.

A genuine playmaker, who set up the play with the way he got it out from the packs and fed off the handballs. I rate him up there with Scott West as a player.

Thats a big call.

Bulldog Joe
23-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Thats a big call.

I understand and stand by it.

As good as anyone with his hands and generally was able to get the ball clear of the pack.

Could also kick.

Was not a runner but neither was West.

chef
23-02-2010, 10:46 AM

As good as anyone with his hands and generally was able to get the ball clear of the pack.

Could also kick.

I don't agree.

Bulldog Joe
23-02-2010, 10:50 AM
I don't agree.

You are always free to disagree.

chef
23-02-2010, 11:38 AM
You are always free to disagree.

I wonder why he didn't get picked-up by Brisbane or anyone else for that matter, after Fitzroy(or why he wasn't picked until pick 32 by Fitzroy in the PSD in 1994 after we delisted him) folded if he was as good as West?

I admit Atkins did have a couple of good seasons in 91-92, but West was a champion of our club for well over 10 years, 324 games, 7 B&F's, 5 AA's and 2 2nd's, 1 3rd and 2 4th's in the Brownlow. Plus in the starting 18 in our team of the century.

EasternWest
23-02-2010, 01:21 PM
I wonder why he didn't get picked-up by Brisbane or anyone else for that matter, after Fitzroy(or why he wasn't picked until pick 32 by Fitzroy in the PSD in 1994 after we delisted him) folded if he was as good as West?

I admit Atkins did have a couple of good seasons in 91-92, but West was a champion of our club for well over 10 years, 324 games, 7 B&F's, 5 AA's and 2 2nd's, 1 3rd and 2 4th's in the Brownlow. Plus in the starting 18 in our team of the century.

Simon Atkins was a good player, no doubt. And also one of those guys that I always saw as a Bulldog.

But West was something else. Only really top shelf players compare to him.

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-02-2010, 06:17 PM

Could also kick.

West was a 7 times best and fairest winner and a worthy Team of the Century inclusion. Enough said.

Doc26
23-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Was very disappointed when the club let Michael McKenna go. Was also disappointed when Mick Malthouse left for West Coast but understood and as such could accept that one.

KT31
24-02-2010, 12:02 AM

I rate the Axe but, Your Dreaming.

Was very disappointed when the club let Michael McKenna go. Was also disappointed when Mick Malthouse left for West Coast but understood and as such could accept that one.

On coaches, I remember signing a partition to keep Bluey Hampshire as coach back in the early eighties.