PDA

View Full Version : Dimma to take over from Smorgon?

The Coon Dog
21-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Tony Sheahan - Sunday Herald Sun - 21 February

No link

David Smorgon, who has been the Western Bulldogs President since 1996, says he won't be going anywhere until his term concludes in 2011.

But wealthy businessman Paul Dimattina is already being tipped as his heir.

Although he wouldn't be drawn into any discussion about the presidency, Dimattina confirmed he had been approached to take up a board position & there had been discussions about taking on the role of football director, replacing Simon Garlick, who is now the club's chief commercial officer.

"I had a couple of people come & talk to me." Dimattina said.

"There were a couple of meetings, but I didn't think the timing was right."

"At the end of this year...I wouldn't mind putting my hand up to join the board."

Smorgon admitted he was unaware of anyone who had approached the restaurateur.

"Paul is a successful man. He is passionate & he would bring a lot to the table." Smorgon said. "If he is interested, fine, but I haven't spoken to him & he hasn't spoken to me."

"As far as I'm concerned, I'm elected until the end of next year. I've got until the end of 2011 & I'm hoping we can win a flag or even two in that time."

"If someone is better credentialed, they should out their hand up."

* Interesting to read about Dimma, no doubt he's passionate, but it does beg the question, should the President come from someone already on the board?

Both Hawthorn & Melbourne in recent times have had Jeff Kennett & Jim Stynes take on the Presidency without first coming from the board.

ledge
21-02-2010, 11:41 AM
He was asked to look at going on the board as football director to take over a position that looks vacant, and by the reading of it, it looks like he was asked before the last elections.

But wealthy businessman Paul Dimattina is already being tipped as his heir.
By whom? the writer?

Fact is at some stage someone takes over, Smorgs has been awesome, he has 2 years to run and maybe that will be enough, whats wrong with looking now at the alternatives or searching out the right person available for the right time?

Planning ahead, bringing the person on board so he is up to speed and its a smooth transition is a pretty spot on way to do it in my book.

Dazza
21-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Doesn't Dimmatina have something to do with Richmond? Or is that Pauls father?

The Coon Dog
21-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Doesn't Dimmatina have something to do with Richmond? Or is that Pauls father?

His father Frank, played for Richmond & was Kevin Bartlett's football manager when he coached the Tigers.

Paul is a Bulldog, through & through.

LostDoggy
21-02-2010, 01:19 PM
The return of the "Wog Squad" Dimma and Libba, all we need is for Jose to put his hand up again.

Sockeye Salmon
21-02-2010, 03:31 PM
The return of the "Wog Squad" Dimma and Libba, all we need is for Jose to put his hand up again.

I didn't know Jose ever left?

I thought he was still on the board?

The Coon Dog
21-02-2010, 03:46 PM
I didn't know Jose ever left?

I thought he was still on the board?

He was replaced a while back by Simon Garlick.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4251

angelopetraglia
22-02-2010, 12:03 AM
Is Jose still involved at all down at the club?

What was the reason behind him leaving the board?

Mofra
22-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Will certainly be a different vibe at board level. Smorgan is a gentlemean, Dimmatina is an arrogant pig who could only dream of having 1% of Smorgan's charm.

LostDoggy
22-02-2010, 12:10 PM
David Smorgon is doing an absolutely brilliant job and he has a very good Board who work extremely well together. It is news to me about Paul Dimmatina and his intentiions for a Board position.
________
Cumshot Tube (http://www.****tube.com/categories/17/cumshot/videos/1)

BulldogBelle
22-02-2010, 12:15 PM
David Smorgon is doing an absolutely brilliant job and he has a very good Board who work extremely well together.

That he is - fingers crossed he signs on for another term after the conclusion of his current one.

LostDoggy
22-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Lets hope he does sign up for another term. I am sure all supporters of the WB would be pleased. He is passionate about our Club. He puts in incredible hours (voluntarily) to give us the club we have today. Yes, he is a gentleman and treats both male and female equally. Long live David Smorgon and the mighty Western Bulldogs.
________
Ipad Guide (http://ipadguides.info)

BulldogBelle
22-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Very well said Susie - and I totally agree with you! It definitely would make my day if he signed on for another term.

LostDoggy
22-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Perhaps if we write to the WB and express our feelings that we would like David Smorgon to continue as our President then the message would be loud and clear to anyone trying to unsettle our wonderful club. I do not think the supporters have any idea of the time and dedication that David Smorgon has committed to our club since 1996. He is a fine leader and will go down in the history of our club as one of the greatest Presidents of the WB.
________
Vapir No2 Vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/no2-vaporizer/)

The Coon Dog
22-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Anyone have any idea what/who prompted the Dimma push as reported by Tony Sheahan?

Murphy'sLore
22-02-2010, 01:02 PM
This is weird, I was just saying to my better half yesterday in the car, 'Thank God for David Smorgon, what would have happened to the club without him?' I hope he stays on as long as possible.

LostDoggy
22-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Why not use the opportunity to express your feelings to David personally at the Family Day next Sunday. We need to let our President know how highly regarded he is and even say thank you to him for everything he has done for our Club. I am sure David would appreciate that.
________
BDSM VIDEOS (http://www.****tube.com/categories/8/bdsm/videos/1)

strebla
22-02-2010, 05:17 PM
David has done and continues to do a wonderfull job but as stateted in a few posts he puts in a huge amount of time the last few years this would have been extremely difficut for him with the passing of his wife.
Maybe with the club being set up well into the future he can have a well deserved rest and allow someone else to take the reighns I personally think it should be his call but then again I thought S West and C Grant should have the same choice 15 years is a long time.

LostDoggy
22-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Smorgo is in the best position to decide who should take over from him, when his time comes....if he came to me as a member and recommended anyone i would trust his judgement and support that person...lets just hope we are not in that position for a few years yet!! Still plenty to be done.

The Coon Dog
22-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Smorgo is in the best position to decide who should take over from him, when his time comes....if he came to me as a member and recommended anyone i would trust his judgement and support that person...lets just hope we are not in that position for a few years yet!! Still plenty to be done.

Well said!

LostDoggy
22-02-2010, 07:38 PM
It was David's wife who encouraged and wanted him to stand again whilst she was fighting cancer and that is the reason he is in the job now. David still has the passion and commitment of when he took over the leadership in 1996. If Ros was alive today she would be supporting him in whatever he decided to take on.
________
Honda Ch80 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CH80)

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-02-2010, 06:00 PM
David Smorgon is doing an absolutely brilliant job and he has a very good Board who work extremely well together. It is news to me about Paul Dimmatina and his intentiions for a Board position.

I agree. If there was to be a former player to eventually be considered as a potential replacement for David Smorgan, then the logical replacement would be the highly regarded Steve Walliss.Together with his son likely to be drafted to the Bulldogs next year,
it would make sense.

KT31
24-02-2010, 12:37 AM
I agree. If there was to be a former player to eventually be considered as a potential replacement for David Smorgan, then the logical replacement would be the highly regarded Steve Walliss.Together with his son likely to be drafted to the Bulldogs next year,
it would make sense.

You don't think there could be a conflict of interest if Mitch is seemed, by his Dad, to be not getting a fair go ?

KT31
24-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Well done to David.
In my books he can stay for as long as he likes.
Would have been unimaginable last season after the loss of his wife and yet he, and the board, still managed to take the club forward.

LostDoggy
24-02-2010, 11:54 AM
You are absolutely correct. David's wife died two years ago after a battle with cancer. David is an outstanding leader and as I have stated before he is a gentleman who treats men and women equally. May David continue to lead the WB for as long as he feels he is needed. David has a cohesive and hard working board under his leadership.
________
UTG AIRSOFT DELUXE TACTICAL GREEN (http://airsoft-shop.info/p/utg-airsoft-deluxe-tactical-green/)

LostDoggy
26-02-2010, 10:52 AM
You are absolutely correct. David's wife died two years ago after a battle with cancer. David is an outstanding leader and as I have stated before he is a gentleman who treats men and women equally. May David continue to lead the WB for as long as he feels he is needed. David has a cohesive and hard working board under his leadership.

Hear! Hear!

LostDoggy
02-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Lets hope he does sign up for another term. I am sure all supporters of the WB would be pleased. He is passionate about our Club. He puts in incredible hours (voluntarily) to give us the club we have today. Yes, he is a gentleman and treats both male and female equally. Long live David Smorgon and the mighty Western Bulldogs.

David informed me at last years Snow Ball that this would probably be his last year. Personally I would hate to see ,in my opinion, the best President the club has ever seen go, but it is his decision and I hope all Doggies get behind him and show him the support that he has shown Us. Smorgo Smorgo Smorgo WOOF WOOF WOOF

LostDoggy
03-03-2010, 09:39 AM
I am sure David would like to hear your sentiments. Why don't you send him a note and tell him how you feel. He is a great President and I agree he is probably the best President we have ever had at the WB
________
VOLCANO DIGITAL REVIEW (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/volcano)