PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog Magazine - First Quarter 2010

bornadog
22-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Just received, included a membership card to Willi games and the interstate games, booking form.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Bulldogmag.jpg

comrade
22-02-2010, 04:49 PM
If I recall correctly, in the same issue last year Rocket gave a few of the younger guys a fair old bake – looking forward to seeing who cops a whack this year :D

jazzadogs
22-02-2010, 05:00 PM
There's nothing too mean in there.

The assistant coaches provide the comments on each player, seemingly talking about the players from their 'zone'. Williams mentioned Hill's poor return before Christmas, everyone else seems to be having "their best pre-season to date".

Peter Dean expects Tim Callan to play regular AFL, which surprised me a little.

Andrejs Everitt "has not missed a beat", really improved his fitness and wants to prove he is an AFL player.

Most interesting part of the magazine for me was reading Bill Davoren's piece. He stated that Cooney, Griffen, Gia, Murph, Hahn, Williams, Wood, Picken and Aker were the standouts over the pre-season.

wb_age
22-02-2010, 05:29 PM
And apparently Higgins is born in 1982, making him 27 years of age :S

Bob Murphy DOB 09/36/82 :S

BulldogBelle
22-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Granty's picture in the player profiles is amusing, and did anyone else need to blink a few times when they saw "28. Barry Hall."

Brad Johnson, Jason Akermanis and Barry Hall in the same team. Surely not!

AndrewP6
22-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Great treat to find in my letterbox when I got home. BAZZA on the cover - what a great sight!

Sockeye Salmon
22-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Granty's picture in the player profiles is amusing, and did anyone else need to blink a few times when they saw "28. Barry Hall."

Brad Johnson, Jason Akermanis and Barry Hall in the same team. Surely not!

How cool would it be if it was 2002!!!

Dazza
22-02-2010, 10:28 PM
I noticed the Higgins thing also. Someone also forgot how to spell Griffens name in one of the articles. As you could probably tell I've read it a few times already haha. Wish the season would start.

LostDoggy
23-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Really enjoyed sitting down with a coffee & the magazine last night. It was a great read. I didn't realise Kooga is an Australian owned company - good stuff!! I also really like the retro Bulldogs merchandise - got my next t shirt picked out already!! :D

chef
23-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Is it just me or does the new mag seem thinner than usual?

LostDoggy
23-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Not as much to report in the off season.

Doc26
23-02-2010, 11:56 PM
If I recall correctly, in the same issue last year Rocket gave a few of the younger guys a fair old bake – looking forward to seeing who cops a whack this year :D

Noticed that Josh Hill copped a whack but was then followed up with some praise. Couldn't help but feel he was probably still dirty on being dropped for the Prelim. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

aker39
24-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Couldn't help but feel he was probably still dirty on being dropped for the Prelim.

I'd be dissapointed if he wasn't dirty.

EasternWest
24-02-2010, 12:52 PM
I noticed the Higgins thing also. Someone also forgot how to spell Griffens name in one of the articles. As you could probably tell I've read it a few times already haha. Wish the season would start.

Am I being nitpicky or does that type of typo really annoy others too?

I wonder how much the magazine cost to produce? I for one would be happy not to receive it (or receive it online) if the money put into those glossy pages went towards another squat rack or two.

It also seems odd how the focus of a lot of it is on imploring you to sign up. Don't you only receive it if you're a member?

LostDoggy
24-02-2010, 01:10 PM
You are right. The spelling of all names etc etc should be correct before it goes to Press. Is it not the role of the copywriter to check this? I think a note to the WB would be a good idea to alert them to the mistake/s so that there is no repeat of mistakes in future editions.
________
Blowjob redhead (http://www.****tube.com/categories/358/redhead/videos/1)

jazzadogs
24-02-2010, 01:22 PM

I wonder how much the magazine cost to produce? I for one would be happy not to receive it (or receive it online) if the money put into those glossy pages went towards another squat rack or two.

It also seems odd how the focus of a lot of it is on imploring you to sign up. Don't you only receive it if you're a member?
It appeared that this one got sent out to all the members from last year (and possibly those from other years), including those who hadn't signed up. Therefore they were really trying to drive the fact that becoming a member is important, just for those people.

I always enjoy receiving the magazine, even though there is only ever one or two articles. The best one is undoubtedly the end of year edition.

LostDoggy
24-02-2010, 06:01 PM
And that's why there was the white loose page saying this will be the last magazine you get unless you resign up (for those who haven't done so yet)

EasternWest
24-02-2010, 07:13 PM
And that's why there was the white loose page saying this will be the last magazine you get unless you resign up (for those who haven't done so yet)

I'm not interested in loose white pages. I'm a Bulldog For Life.

Still would rather another squat rack.

LostDoggy
24-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Ok, but just saying that's why the magazine was quite focued on membership...

MrMahatma
25-02-2010, 01:49 AM
I'm not interested in loose white pages. I'm a Bulldog For Life.

Still would rather another squat rack.
But if the magazine is essentially a DM piece that entices a few extra hundred members on board - then it works.

I don't know the ins & outs of their membership recruitment marketing - but I'm sure something like a Mag would be heavily scruitinised to provide a return on investment.

LongWait
25-02-2010, 11:36 AM

Until recently I would have agreed wholeheartedly with you DFA, but my visit this week to my elderly parents in Benalla changed my mind. On arriving at their house I commented on the club magazine displayed prominently on their coffee table. Dad said that he and mum still pay their membership every year and despite not being able to attend many, if any games, the magazine helps provide a connection to the club and is eagerly devoured immediately it arrives.

It is also a reminder to all their friends and visitors that they are proud, passionate and paid up (to borrow from the Hawks). Dad's brother, whilst he was visiting last year, was refused permission to read dad's magazine until he had promised dad he would renew his own membership.

I think for those with internet access the magazine may already be redundant and will increasingly become so. But for now, I think the magazine serves a purpose and should remain... but yes - they should get their spelling sorted!

EasternWest
25-02-2010, 12:21 PM
That's a nice story. Can I have your parents too?

Ok, what about the option of receiving it electronically or in solid form?

LongWait
25-02-2010, 12:47 PM
That's a nice story. Can I have your parents too?

Ok, what about the option of receiving it electronically or in solid form?

I'm very happy with my parents, who have raised 3 bulldog children and 9 bulldog grand children so far! I'm sure they'd be happy to adopt more - just don't expect Brad and Angelina - they are 75 years old.

The option to receive the mag electronically is a good one. I'm going to write to the club to suggest it (in doing so I'll provide appropriate acknowledgement of your good self and your excellent idea of course.)

EasternWest
25-02-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm very happy with my parents, who have raised 3 bulldog children and 9 bulldog grand children so far! I'm sure they'd be happy to adopt more - just don't expect Brad and Angelina - they are 75 years old.

The option to receive the mag electronically is a good one. I'm going to write to the club to suggest it (in doing so I'll provide appropriate acknowledgement of your good self and your excellent idea of course.)

No need, you can have that one for free!

And I like the pedigree. My Bulldog supporting parents only managed 3 out of 8 kids as Dogs fans. And one of them, after years of faithful loyalty and heartbreak, now lists his Bulldog following status as "retired".

AndrewP6
25-02-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm a bit of a traditionalist, so I'd prefer to keep the mag. Reading things electronically doesn't have quite the same appeal, IMO.

KT31
26-02-2010, 12:12 AM
I'm a bit of a traditionalist, so I'd prefer to keep the mag. Reading things electronically doesn't have quite the same appeal, IMO.

Totally agree, bit hard to take the computer to the kids cricket etc.

Murphy'sLore
26-02-2010, 10:30 AM
I've offered them my services as a voluntary proof-reader, but no response as yet. The typos really irk me, especially when other aspects of the club have really risen a notch in professionalism. Little careless mistakes just look so amateurish.

Sockeye Salmon
26-02-2010, 08:28 PM

iPhone.

The lioness won't mind. Honest.

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 01:10 AM
what i found weird is that my wife and i are both members, but we only received the one Williamstown card. shouldn't we get one each?

mighty_west
27-02-2010, 09:52 AM
what i found weird is that my wife and i are both members, but we only received the one Williamstown card. shouldn't we get one each?

You have done EXTREMELY well to convert her and become a member, but do you really expect to drag her along to Willy games as well? those icy cold games out at Sandy or Franga? :D

comrade
27-02-2010, 10:26 AM
You have done EXTREMELY well to convert her and become a member, but do you really expect to drag her along to Willy games as well? those icy cold games out at Sandy or Franga? :D

Good point.

I took my better half to a standard Willy game last year (wind blowing a bone-chilling gale). Fair to say she hasn't been back.

mighty_west
27-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Good point.

I took my better half to a standard Willy game last year (wind blowing a bone-chilling gale). Fair to say she hasn't been back.

I do well if mine gets to say 2 or 3 Doggies games [even though i did convert her to full membership one season], but to Willy games, not a chance in hell!

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 05:29 PM

Nothing a blanket and a warm hug wont fix hehehe.....

bornadog
28-02-2010, 01:49 PM

take your IPAD:D

w3design
01-03-2010, 10:18 PM
I've offered them my services as a voluntary proof-reader, but no response as yet. The typos really irk me, especially when other aspects of the club have really risen a notch in professionalism. Little careless mistakes just look so amateurish.
As well as being an avid fan of the club, I am also a professional writer and editor. I also cringe at the typos and think they embarrass the club. In David Smorgon's article the club is apparently still 'baring' a debt. Apostrophes are all over the place. '2010 see's Cameron enter his...' and then apparently he is taking up the 'reigns'. I'd love to see it done better, and the mis-spelling of players' names is really unforgiveable.

I think some of the articles are a little pedestrian too. I started reading, eagerly, the article on the fitness campaign but it was dull and cliched.

If Susie wants to send me a PM I am happy to volunteer as a proof reader or developing content ideas. I'd thought of emailing Cameron Rose to suggest this, but didn't quite know how to get through the bureaucratic layers...

LostDoggy
01-03-2010, 10:48 PM
I still enjoy getting the magazine and hope they continue it. Especially for those of us interstate. It is always nice to read some news or feature which is never spoken online.

The typos irk me a little but then so does the fact that half the mag is ads and a bulldog shop promo. But the few gems in there make up for it. Especially the begin and end of year versions.

I was a little disapointed with the player reviews this year. There was just one template copy and pasted for them all being "best preseason ever". I would have liked a little varity with things like "broke some personal bests such as beep test", "on a modified program to focus on skill x", "working real hard on x defeciency and is improving", etc. I really liked Rockets bluntness last year.

Still a nice read and I take it to work and get a couple comments which isn't bad as the IT crowd normally doesn't aupport any sport but I'm trying to win a few over. Especially with Barry Hall with us now a few people have asked me how he is going.

Mantis
02-03-2010, 09:05 AM
If Susie wants to send me a PM I am happy to volunteer as a proof reader or developing content ideas. I'd thought of emailing Cameron Rose to suggest this, but didn't quite know how to get through the bureaucratic layers...

I wouldn't have thought your email would get you the gig if you start off:

Hi Cameron,

I'm so and so...

Might be a good start to get his name right....... It's Campbell. ;)