PDA

View Full Version : Do we want to win this thing?

The Adelaide Connection
25-02-2010, 08:32 PM
The more I think about it the more I am conflicted, do we actually want to win the NAB cup?

On one hand I would prefer the Bulldogs to make a speedy exit from the Nab cup so that they:
-Don't compromise individual conditioning plans for players
-Continue to experiment etc with younger players, positioning, game plans etc
-Can implement a sensible build up to the season in a no-stress, less intense fashion
-Don't overdo it, the season is long enough and we have had problems with "fade-outs" in the past

But on the other hand I don't want to lose to teams because:
-I dont like seeing us get beat
-A winning culture is a good culture
- A cup is a cup. Success in any form is something we have been starved with and we probably shouldn't turn our back on
-Prizewinners money is something we probably shouldn't turn our back on
-The longer we stay in and the better we play probably means extra excitement about the season and more members on board

What are everyone elses views?

chef
25-02-2010, 08:36 PM
I would love to finally see us in a grand final(even if it is only the NAB cup).

mighty_west
25-02-2010, 08:46 PM
I dunno about anybody else, but i never want to goto a game and lose, which means, naturally i'd want us to win, as well as the 2010 Premiership.

People seem to think that if your team wins the NAB Cup, they take their eyes offthe main season, which is a load of codswallop.....didn't hurt Geelong last year!

Continue winning, will hopefully raise membership numbers [we know how fickle some supporters / barrackers are], the extra cash at the end of week 4 would also be handy for the club.

Remi Moses
25-02-2010, 09:03 PM
I couldn't give a rats clacker about the NAB cup. Gotta be honest! No injuries experimentation,rotations and seeing Barry play will suffice

The Adelaide Connection
25-02-2010, 09:05 PM
I dunno about anybody else, but i never want to goto a game and lose, which means, naturally i'd want us to win, as well as the 2010 Premiership.

People seem to think that if your team wins the NAB Cup, they take their eyes offthe main season, which is a load of codswallop.....didn't hurt Geelong last year!

Continue winning, will hopefully raise membership numbers [we know how fickle some supporters / barrackers are], the extra cash at the end of week 4 would also be handy for the club.

But history shows that generally that is not the case ala Carlton. It seems the first few rounds are a total lottery though with everyone fielding very green teams, I guess if a strong team (like Geeong last year) make it through they are likely to win it. Maybe Carlton got lucky?

comrade
25-02-2010, 09:06 PM
I really want to win tomorrow night, with Barry Hall kicking a bag.

Great for our momentum, great for our membership.

The Adelaide Connection
25-02-2010, 09:09 PM
I couldn't give a rats clacker about the NAB cup. Gotta be honest! No injuries experimentation,rotations and seeing Barry play will suffice

So will you watch tomorrow night? If you do will you be hoping to see us on top or you really don't care?

What you have said is how I thought I felt, but I have to be honest in saying that I will be hoping we look good against the Hawks and take them down a peg from last week. In fact lets keep them goalless for More than two quarters this time :D

Oh and if we can do that on the back of some strong performances from the newer/less experienced faces then even better!

Doc26
25-02-2010, 09:22 PM

I'm bloody over the moon when our little league has a win at half time or when a Matty Robbins puts in a blinder in a half time sprint. They don't reallly mean much but there's still a good feeling about any red white and blue achievement. Of course I want to win it. Been waiting my whole life to see some kind of Bulldog silverware even if it's only a pre season comp. Is great for membership, if managed well - our preparation, and even for putting a smile on a least some Bulldog fans faces and not having to travel 50 hours to watch them the following week on a cow paddock where risk of injuries skyrocket.

I think an age poll on this topic would be resounding.

mighty_west
25-02-2010, 09:23 PM
But history shows that generally that is not the case ala Carlton. It seems the first few rounds are a total lottery though with everyone fielding very green teams, I guess if a strong team (like Geeong last year) make it through they are likely to win it. Maybe Carlton got lucky?

Maybe Carlton played sides that didn't give a crap, they were always going to struggle in the main season due to their side development wise either way imo, so whilst they did struggle for those few seasons, their membership would have stayed a bit healthier than if they got bundled out first round, their supporters at least had some winning in those seasons as well as watching their number one picks develop.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the be all & end all, it's a totally different comp within a season, like most, i'd hate for injuries, but players get injured at training [remember Darce 20 mins left in the last session before Christmas :( , falling over in bath tubs etc etc, that is a bit of a cop out imo, players get injured in praccy matches, players get injured in round 1, it happens.

I still want to see kids get games, i hope Grant & Jones stay in this week, Barry Hall will only play a half of footy, but i still want a win.

Maybe it's just in my blood, i NEVER want to see us lose. [except those 4pm Optus Oval or Shepparton praccy matches really mean nothing]

AndrewP6
25-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Whilst I do refer to it as the "Who Cares Cup", on-field success would be nice - as many have noted, it would be beneficial to morale/team spirit, membership, and of course the finances. I'll be madly barracking as per usual, but should we drop the game, will not dwell on it too long. Looking forward to footy played on a dry oval, and seeing BAZZA in the R, W and B....

jazzadogs
25-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Doc26 raised my biggest concern...if we lose, we have to go play on a suburban field which will probably not be up to scratch (although the Etihad surface isn't perfect by any stretch).

I would love to see us win something. And I can't imagine that Rocket would risk players just because we're going a little bit further into this competition. From memory, Geelong still rested players last year for the NAB GF, because that was their original plan. I would expect that we would do the same.

Remi Moses
26-02-2010, 06:56 AM
I'm bloody over the moon when our little league has a win at half time or when a Matty Robbins puts in a blinder in a half time sprint. They don't reallly mean much but there's still a good feeling about any red white and blue achievement. Of course I want to win it. Been waiting my whole life to see some kind of Bulldog silverware even if it's only a pre season comp. Is great for membership, if managed well - our preparation, and even for putting a smile on a least some Bulldog fans faces and not having to travel 50 hours to watch them the following week on a cow paddock where risk of injuries skyrocket.

I think an age poll on this topic would be resounding.

Sorry to sound a tad glib . Been talked into going . Row 1 seat A of the Bandwagon:)

LostDoggy
26-02-2010, 07:44 AM
Gday all..first post on this forum.

I was mulling over this only a few hours ago.
I would love to see us win it, not only for the financial bonus but also for the confidence boost it would give our boys heading into the season proper. Winning breeds success and it could only be beneficial to our club as a whole if we did win. I'm not worried about the burn out factor either because wether its NAB cup or NAB challenge we still have to play the 4 rounds of matches

Bulldog Revolution
26-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Welcome dogs4ever

I want to see us stand up tonight and play a physical brand of footy that can match it with the hawks

You'd expect with so many veterans having their first run that we perhaps wouldn't be at our sharpest tonight but as long as the intent is right I'll be happy. To see us not rise to the occasion would be disappointing and to similar to the Geelong final of 09

For me I just dont care whether we win the NAB cup - there is only one cup I've been dreaming of seeing us hold aloft

LostDoggy
26-02-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't really care about the NAB Cup. I reckon the Hawks are fielding a stronger team than us tonight too. I just hope we have no injuries throughout the NAB Cup.

The Coon Dog
26-02-2010, 01:10 PM
I don't really care about the NAB Cup. I reckon the Hawks are fielding a stronger team than us tonight too. I just hope we have no injuries throughout the NAB Cup.

What makes you think that?

Look at our team, who's missing? Johnno, Minson & Williams. I'd say that's a pretty strong team too.

Hawks are missing Renouf, Burgoyne & Rioli.

Mantis
26-02-2010, 01:12 PM

On paper I wouldn't agree with that comment, but I guess we have a few 'key' players being eased into the season who will play some role tonight.

LostDoggy
26-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Lets keep them goalless in the first half again and win. Next time we play them the players will be full of confidence that we will always beat the hawks.Whats wrong with winning the NAB cup.... bigger membership ... better grounds... joy to all of us ... love the dogs

immortalmike
26-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Put me on the list of supporters who thought that they couldn't care less but when push comes to shove I want to see the Doggies win.

Although even up to last year I had a theory that the two teams who make the NAB Grand Final will always struggle towards the end of the season and in finals (if they make it). I was kind of right with Collingwood but not so much with Geelong:o.

LostDoggy
26-02-2010, 02:47 PM
I always want the dogs to win, simple.

I would also love a preseason cup.

I would also trade 2,000,000 preseason cups for the big one.

We should try to win the thing if it doesn't impact on player management. Maybe if we make the NAB GF we could be a bit more serious and it would be a great tune up for the likely round 1 team with the advantage of subs etc.

mighty_west
26-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Put me on the list of supporters who thought that they couldn't care less but when push comes to shove I want to see the Doggies win.

Although even up to last year I had a theory that the two teams who make the NAB Grand Final will always struggle towards the end of the season and in finals (if they make it). I was kind of right with Collingwood but not so much with Geelong:o.

I shall paint a picture for you, we get to round 3 of the NAB Cup, win this, and we play off in the NAB Granny.

I know it means diddly compared to a REAL Premiership, anyway, we are 3 points down, siren goes 4th quarter, Higgins has the ball 45 out on a tight angle, we are playing West Coast [they crapped on us both times last year, so have wood on us short term], if Higgo misses, no drama's with the kick, was a tough kick for goal anyway.

Do you want it to sail through? Or couldn't you care less? :p

immortalmike
26-02-2010, 02:56 PM
I shall paint a picture for you, we get to round 3 of the NAB Cup, win this, and we play off in the NAB Granny.

I know it means diddly compared to a REAL Premiership, anyway, we are 3 points down, siren goes 4th quarter, Higgins has the ball 45 out on a tight angle, we are playing West Coast [they crapped on us both times last year, so have wood on us short term], if Higgo misses, no drama's with the kick, was a tough kick for goal anyway.

Do you want it to sail through? Or couldn't you care less? :p

It wouldn't matter what I want, of course its sailing through Higgins is kicking it:D.

Seriously though of course I wouldn't mind winning, just that preparations for the season proper should take precedent.

Doc26
26-02-2010, 03:29 PM
just that preparations for the season proper should take precedent.

Lets hope that both go hand in hand and that it's BBBBH's from outside 50 that goes sailing through after the siren :D

mighty_west
26-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Seriously though of course I wouldn't mind winning, just that preparations for the season proper should take precedent.

Well, giving the likes of Boumann, Grant, Jones, Roughead, Moles etc game time, resting players on & off, Johnno won't play until week 4, Shaggy, Eagleton, Hall, players that are starting 22 players not playing week one, it's all part of preperations, so those will take place anyway....but i still want us to win, i aint paying $20 to goto game and not care..;).

chef
26-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Well, giving the likes of Boumann, Grant, Jones, Roughead, Moles etc game time, resting players on & off, Johnno won't play until week 4, Shaggy, Eagleton, Hall, players that are starting 22 players not playing week one, it's all part of preperations, so those will take place anyway....but i still want us to win, i aint paying $20 to goto game and not care..;).

Me too.

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 01:14 AM
as a success starved bulldogs supporter, i would dearly love us to win the Semi next week, and get into the Grand Final. A GF is a GF - never seen us in one

The Coon Dog
27-02-2010, 01:16 AM
as a success starved bulldogs supporter, i would dearly love us to win the Semi next week, and get into the Grand Final. A GF is a GF - never seen us in one

Yup, I feel the same.

Wouldn't it be a bugger if we made it against the Swans & they decided to play it in Sydney?

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 01:16 AM
I really want to win tomorrow night, with Barry Hall kicking a bag.

Great for our momentum, great for our membership.

Can you please make more predictions

Bulldog4life
27-02-2010, 01:23 AM
I'm greedy. I want the double.:D

Dry Rot
27-02-2010, 01:24 AM
Yup, I feel the same.

Wouldn't it be a bugger if we made it against the Swans & they decided to play it in Sydney?

That would be excellent. Best promotion for a NAB Cup Final. Hall vs Swans @ the SCG.

See you all up here. :D

Flamethrower
27-02-2010, 02:01 AM
If the Swans make the NAB Cup GF and they qualify to host the game in NSW (by scoring the most goals in their 3 games), the game wont be played at the SCG due to cricket commitments. It will likely be played at ANZ Stadium or at Rooty Hill.

chef
27-02-2010, 07:48 AM

Me too.

Max469
27-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Bring it on.

Mickey Mouse cup or not.

Great for the players confidence.

Means more members and the winners purse will help.

Besides think of the bragging rights would we all have. :p

Would be p'd off if it was in Sydney town though.

Go Dogs.

The Coon Dog
27-02-2010, 08:26 AM
If the Swans make the NAB Cup GF and they qualify to host the game in NSW (by scoring the most goals in their 3 games), the game wont be played at the SCG due to cricket commitments. It will likely be played at ANZ Stadium or at Rooty Hill.

That rule was abolished a couple of years ago, now at the AFL's discretion.

GVGjr
27-02-2010, 08:32 AM
The more I think about it the more I am conflicted, do we actually want to win the NAB cup?

On one hand I would prefer the Bulldogs to make a speedy exit from the Nab cup so that they:
-Don't compromise individual conditioning plans for players
-Continue to experiment etc with younger players, positioning, game plans etc
-Can implement a sensible build up to the season in a no-stress, less intense fashion
-Don't overdo it, the season is long enough and we have had problems with "fade-outs" in the past

But on the other hand I don't want to lose to teams because:
-I dont like seeing us get beat
-A winning culture is a good culture
- A cup is a cup. Success in any form is something we have been starved with and we probably shouldn't turn our back on
-Prizewinners money is something we probably shouldn't turn our back on
-The longer we stay in and the better we play probably means extra excitement about the season and more members on board

What are everyone elses views?

Good thread. Having won our first two games and the last one in a convincing manner it's now a great to have a genuine chance to win it.

I don't think we will compromise the H&A season in anyway but we can still put a very strong side on the field. If we make the grand final then we might have everyone making themselves available.

It's a good problem to have and a great reward for the club, the coaching crew and the fitness guys to have us playing well and yet still have plenty in reserve.

mighty_west
27-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Good thread. Having won our first two games and the last one in a convincing manner it's now great to have a genuine chance to win it.

I don't think we will compromise the H&A season in anyway but we can still put a very strong side on the field. If we make the grand final then we might have everyone making themselves available.

It's a good problem to have and a great reward for the club, the coaching crew and the fitness guys to have us playing well and yet still have plenty in reserve.

Johnno is earmarked to return that game [NAB week 4], Minson the week before, and genuinely teams would like to be as full strength as possible to be up & running for round one, whether its a NAB Granny or just week 4 on some country ground.

The Adelaide Connection
27-02-2010, 01:27 PM
You would think that the family day has come at the perfect time with the excitement from last nights win (especially with Hall kicking a bag).

Hopefully it translates into more members signing on. I want to see us smash past 32,000.

Oh and the Pros have certainly shown the cons the door in my head. Let's get that cup.

Doc26
27-02-2010, 01:33 PM
You would think that the family day has come at the perfect time with the excitement from last nights win (especially with Hall kicking a bag).

Hopefully it translates into more members signing on. I want to see us smash past 32,000.

Oh and the Pros have certainly shown the cons the door in my head. Let's get that cup.

Was thinking the same about tomorrow. Only downside about all this upside is making it that much harder to find a carpark.

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can not recall us getting this far in the Pre Season Comp ?

The Coon Dog
27-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can not recall us getting this far in the Pre Season Comp ?

In 2005 we beat Sydney in the first round at the Dome & in the 2nd round we beat St.Kilda down in Tassie (I seem to remember Chris Grant injuring Max Hudgton in that game).

In the semi final Carlton smashed us by 51 points.

GVGjr
27-02-2010, 05:50 PM
In 2005 we beat Sydney in the first round at the Dome & in the 2nd round we beat St.Kilda down in Tassie (I seem to remember Chris Grant injuring Max Hudgton in that game).

In the semi final Carlton smashed us by 51 points.

I seem to remember Tom Williams landing a huge torpedo on the run in that game and it was about the only highlight of the game.

chef
27-02-2010, 07:03 PM

In the mid to late 90's we made the semi's but lost to the Hawks.

strebla
27-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Ok originally I was thinking I don't care but I did get into it last night and have cought myself thinking about winning it today.If I am honest I want to win it if only to say i have seen my boys win a flag having been a member since 83 and only see us win 2 reserves premierships I want just not at any cost!!!!

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 09:54 PM
A win is a win is a win. Go Dogs.

LostDoggy
28-02-2010, 12:56 AM
I want us to win it. Good preparation for later in the season hopefully. Not to mention I was a bit stung by a friend who commented, that she would like to see the bulldogs win something anything:eek:

LostDoggy
28-02-2010, 09:15 AM
St Kilda won last night. Hmmn