PDA

View Full Version : Barry Hall a $1m boost at the Western Bulldogs

The Coon Dog
25-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Scott Gullan - Herald Sun - 26 February

BARRY Hall has more than paid his way even before the star Western Bulldogs recruit has kicked a ball for his new club.

The former Sydney Swans champion, who makes his debut in the red, white and blue at Etihad Stadium tonight against Hawthorn, has already generated more than $1 million into the Bulldogs coffers.

Membership levels have gone through the roof at the Whitten Oval over the summer with Hall's recruitment seen as the final piece of the premiership puzzle by the Dogs long-suffering fans.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/barry-hall-a-1m-boost-at-the-western-bulldogs/story-e6frf9jf-1225834504364)

Mantis
25-02-2010, 11:49 PM
The former Sydney Swans champion, who makes his debut in the red, white and blue at Etihad Stadium tonight against Hawthorn, has already generated more than $1 million into the Bulldogs coffers.

Have we been running a straw poll when we sign members up asking them if Hall was the reason they joined?

I know we haven't so this article isn't worth the paper it was written on.

BulldogBelle
26-02-2010, 01:34 AM
I tend to agree Mantis. The article totally ignores the fact that there is a definite link between membership and supporters' heightened expectations of playing in a grand final. The is further evidenced by the journalists own facts where he points out social club and reserve seating has gone through the roof. I don't think people have rushed out to buy these because of Barry hall. I don't like the pre season hype that seems to be surrounding us. I just think building up hype around bazza is the journalists way of framing the way they will report stories about him through the season. If he decks someone in round five then he will be written up as the great hope who failed for the dogs. Likewise if he kicks the winning goal in the gf it will be written up as a story of great redemption. As far as I can see, it's a win win situation for journalists to pump up bazza as much as possible.

MrMahatma
26-02-2010, 05:12 AM
But do more people now think we can go all the way because Hall's on board?

Remi Moses
26-02-2010, 06:47 AM

Nailed It.

ledge
26-02-2010, 09:26 AM
I have no doubt he has been the reason some have signed, the media have been saying for years all we need is a big forward to take the next step, now we have one some supporters probably agree.
The last 2 years have been our apprenticeship you might say now is the time.

The Pie Man
26-02-2010, 10:44 AM
I'd hate for anyone to draw parallels with the Cousins/Richmond scenario with this one

aker39
26-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Have we been running a straw poll when we sign members up asking them if Hall was the reason they joined?

I know we haven't so this article isn't worth the paper it was written on.

I actually couldn't care less whether it is true or not.

It got us a major article in the paper, a positive article, with good exposure for our sponsers.

It has also lead to 3AW running with the story in their news.

PS - the 3AW story actually said that David Smorgon is playing down the role that Barry has had in the increase sales.

Mofra
26-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Absolutely. Hall is a major factor in the extra membership tally and possibly the biggest factor for quite a few.

ledge
26-02-2010, 04:45 PM

I like that, do you mean on the board too?:D

angelopetraglia
26-02-2010, 08:29 PM
It is more than just Hall.

Memberships are sold on hope. There is plenty of hope and expectation at the Kennel over summer. Sure Hall is contributing, but there are other factors.

Many are tipping us to go all the way this year (i.e. Crawford) and the media all love to sing to the same tune. We are getting plenty of positive coverage.

Last year Richmond and Carlton had all the buzz and there memberships this time of year were flying (i.e. plenty of hope that they could take the next step and Richmond also had the Cousins factor plus winning 8 out of their last 11 in 2008).

It is great for our club, all we need now is a massive showing again this year (at least a GF) to absolutely capitalise on this momentum.

hujsh
27-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Should get a nice little kick from tonight.

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Maybe we should call him the 6 million dollar man?

Remi Moses
27-02-2010, 04:53 AM
Interesting to see the gathering we get on Sunday. Good weather and I'd say there will be bigger crowds than at games in the dark days

EasternWest
27-02-2010, 03:31 PM
I have no doubt he has been the reason some have signed, the media have been saying for years all we need is a big forward to take the next step, now we have one some supporters probably agree.
The last 2 years have been our apprenticeship you might say now is the time.

I don't think it's been just the media saying/thinking that.

bornadog
28-02-2010, 01:52 PM
I actually couldn't care less whether it is true or not.

It got us a major article in the paper, a positive article, with good exposure for our sponsers.

It has also lead to 3AW running with the story in their news.

PS - the 3AW story actually said that David Smorgon is playing down the role that Barry has had in the increase sales.

Do you think we have some of the other 15 teams worried about us for 2010.

Dry Rot
28-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Memberships are sold on hope.

Gee, the Tigers won't have many members this season.

boydogs
28-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Gee, the Tigers won't have many members this season.

I think we have actually gone past them

Mantis
28-02-2010, 09:00 PM
I think we have actually gone past them

Not yet.

As of current figures on each clubs website they have 28,826 members (match access and non access members)

We have 24,787. (23,002 game day)

ledge
28-02-2010, 09:03 PM
only 340 members joined today?

boydogs
28-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Not yet.

As of current figures on each clubs website they have 28,826 members (match access and non access members)

We have 24,787. (23,002 game day)

Cheers Mantis. Should have checked myself. I think we may have been ahead a month or two ago.