PDA

View Full Version : Tackling!!!!!!

Dry Rot
26-02-2010, 10:38 PM
As a ex-rugby league fan, I've been utterly impressed with our efforts tonight NB up forward. Possibly the best I've seen from us.

Keep this up (Hall aside) and we'll win the flag.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Absolutely. Not forgetting that the Hawks fielded a much less experienced side than us, but still it was great to see the ferocity at the footy and the man from our guys.
That sort of tackling as you say DR, if we maintain it throughout the regular season, will really help us toward reaching our ultimate goal.

Dry Rot
26-02-2010, 11:11 PM
He He He - most folk focus on Hall's marking, but his tackling! They don't get up quickly, do they?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-02-2010, 11:13 PM
He He He - most folk focus on Hall's marking, but his tackling! They don't get up quickly, do they?

For sure, and that sort of 'legal' presence from Hall is another way in which he can bring our more fleet of foot finishers into the play, by causing turnovers for them to swoop on.

Dry Rot
26-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Hall's genuine defensive efforts have been overlooked over the years.

One good thing generally about recruiting a Swan is that defensive pressure is top of mind - and Hall brings a malevolent intent to it.

AndrewP6
26-02-2010, 11:19 PM

Great point, and something I hadn't fully considered about his game. His defensive efforts are great.

Dry Rot
26-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Great point, and something I hadn't fully considered about his game. His defensive efforts are great.

Seen this at the Swans for years - if he can't get the ball, he makes the defender pay. :)

Mantis
27-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Tackling was great, our tackles stuck which was great.

Our defensive pressure which was also very good.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Very impressed with the tackling and defensive efforts.

We nailed Franklin a number of times. Both Hahn and Griff among a few other smaller types too.

boydogs
27-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Especially in the forward line. Locked them in like St Kilda of 09 did

Dry Rot
27-02-2010, 12:42 AM
We nailed Franklin a number of times. .

Looked like Buddy wasn't used to this. And didn't enjoy it either. :)

comrade
27-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Tackling count was 82 - 49 our way, and most of them stuck hard.

The work done in the sandpit seems to have done wonders for our overall core strength.

Dry Rot
27-02-2010, 01:11 AM

The work done in the sandpit seems to have done wonders for our overall core strength.

Did the Eagleton knockers appreciate his defensive efforts?

Twodogs
27-02-2010, 02:01 AM
Especially in the forward line. Locked them in like St Kilda of 09 did

Yep that impressed me too. The number of times that we got a smother in or a hand to the ball when a handball was heading Hawthorn's way to cause spillages in the forward 50 was great. 2 of Hall's 4 goals in the first quarter came from us harrassing them and the ball spilling loose. Just before halftime the Hawks lost all confidence in their ball handling in defence and we really started to make them pay heavily.

Remi Moses
27-02-2010, 04:43 AM
Gotta be impressed it's an element to our game that has improved markedly over the years. That's what was most impressive tonight,I couldn't care who they had out if we bring that intensity and pressure tackling we will win most games

Remi Moses
27-02-2010, 04:46 AM
Did the Eagleton knockers appreciate his defensive efforts?

Appreciated his efforts but really it was a team specific element. The knock on eagleton is taht he has to produce in the big games [i.e BIG finals] I'll be the first on here eating humble pie if The Eagle produces in the Big games

mighty_west
27-02-2010, 09:24 AM
The tackling, the defensive pressures, was the big highlight of the night, the more we play that style, and wear opposition teams down, will get us to that next step, our bigger bodies [compared to the past] also plays a part in that department, not just the tackling, the way they are applied, is just great to watch, and that should compliment our free running game style, we seem to have a good mix of players & styles now.

Before, we were just one way, and that would only ever get us so far!

GVGjr
27-02-2010, 09:26 AM

It's always about the work ethic with us. Not every tackle will stick but if they keep at it they will wear the opposition down.

Mantis
27-02-2010, 09:33 AM
It's always about the work ethic with us. Not every tackle will stick but if they keep at it they will wear the opposition down.

The way that we guarded space and pressured the receiver was great.

We must have had some training by an ex-NBL player too.

Bulldog Revolution
27-02-2010, 10:41 AM
We must have had some training by an ex-NBL player too.

Couldn't believe that coverage

Shanahan fits Roccos definition of eker - was very lucky to have played in the league at all, let alone stick for as long as he did

bornadog
01-05-2023, 06:29 PM
Bump

bornadog
01-05-2023, 06:31 PM
I was really pissed off with some of our tackling efforts on the weekend. For gods sake, make the tackles stick.

One of the worst offenders is Baily Smith - can he hold on to a tackle? I know we recorded 59 tackles, but gee some of the tackles were weak.

Hotdog60
01-05-2023, 06:31 PM
Bump

The bump is just about dead. :D

SonofScray
01-05-2023, 09:49 PM
I was really pissed off with some of our tackling efforts on the weekend. For gods sake, make the tackles stick.

One of the worst offenders is Baily Smith - can he hold on to a tackle? I know we recorded 59 tackles, but gee some of the tackles were weak.

Good bump. Play on.

It’s been an issue, we are getting walked through too frequently.