PDA

View Full Version : Gia and Murphy tonight

Dry Rot
26-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Both recently have had injury problems and crap pre-seasons. But not in 2010 - how good were each tonight?

Some of Gia's marks of a ball one centimetre off the ground were dazzling IMO.

LostDoggy
26-02-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm impressed!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Both recently have had injury problems and crap pre-seasons. But not in 2010 - how good were each tonight?

Both look to be hitting the start of the season full of running, unlike last year. Both vital and great to see them fully fit.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Both were equal BOG for mine.

Gia looks fitter than ever whilst Murphy has returned to his form prior to the horrible knee injury. Both are real keys for our Premiership aspirations.

Great to see them moving and playing so well.

angelopetraglia
27-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Gia looks in the best condition of his life.

Murphy just needed a decent run with injuries. He has the talent, just copped some very bad injuries at the wrong time in his career. Still believe he can be anything.

chef
27-02-2010, 07:30 AM
They were awesome.

BulldogBelle
27-02-2010, 09:18 AM
The best l have seen Gia in ages.

Should be a big year for him in more ways than one.:D

GVGjr
27-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Gia looks in the best condition of his life.

Murphy just needed a decent run with injuries. He has the talent, just copped some very bad injuries at the wrong time in his career. Still believe he can be anything.

I think Giansiracusa has always shown up in good shape but it might be the first time he's had a good pre-season in a while. Lets hope he can stay injury free.

Murphy looks to be building towards some great form and he's just so important to our side when he's fit and firing.

mighty_west
27-02-2010, 09:29 AM
I think Giansiracusa has always shown up in good shape but it might be the first time he's had a good pre-season in a while. Lets hope he can stay injury free.

Murphy looks to be building towards some great form and he's just so important to our side when he's fit and firing.

Murph would be so hard to match up on, and he really is vital to our success, him in full flight is just a pleasure to watch.

Very good games last night both both Murph & Gia.

Mantis
27-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Not sure who was manning up on Gia, but he just found acre's of space all night. He looks comfortable within his body and knows his game now, his tackling was a highlight too.

Murf looks in great nick as well. His agility and mobility is a great asset and if not for a dodgy surface last night he would have run rings around his opponents on a number of occassions.

I think we saw the value of having quality players leading up across HF last night. You can have probably the best key forwards in the game (Buddy & Roughead), but if you don't have the hard workers up across HF the ball just doesn't get down there with precision. Hall must be licking his lips at the prospect of the service he will be supplied with by the likes of Murf & Gia.

DOG GOD
27-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Both played great games. Gia looks fit and hungry (although stuffed up a few handballs causing turnovers), but moved and created space brilliantly. Every time Murph twists and turns I get a sick feeling but both look fit and their fitness will only improve.

Both look the goods for sure. Hopefully they can stay like that.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Both played great games. Gia looks fit and hungry (although stuffed up a few handballs causing turnovers), but moved and created space brilliantly. Every time Murph twists and turns I get a sick feeling but both look fit and their fitness will only improve.

I know the feeling. Thank god there's no meat headed Shrek like Rocca to throw him to the ground like a rag doll. Ouch, those are talented limbs you're abusing.

Mofra
27-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Gia could be a smoky for our B&F; he was probably leading in 07 until he was inured, or am I thinking of 06?

His work in the midfield was excellent, and he loosk set to nail 30+ goals this year given he'll play on 4th or 5th stringers when pushed forward. Murphy & Cooney having real pre-seasons certainly helps too - Murph has got his little dance back.

Bulldog4life
27-02-2010, 02:54 PM

I feel that way when Murph is coming down from a high mark or attempted high mark. His legs seem to stiffen when doing this at times and even look like they nearly hyperextend. Always relieved when there's no damage.

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 03:37 PM
That space Gia made up forward was brilliant. He was on his own a few times across the ground and they ignored him until he was inside 50 and got some very good delivery into the forward pocket.

stefoid
27-02-2010, 05:07 PM
gia with a goal and 3 assists. fair few tackles too.

Cyberdoggie
27-02-2010, 05:50 PM
The defensive efforts of Gia and Griffen were a huge improvement.

Everitt, while he still lacks agility and smart decision making, looks much fitter, as does Jarrad Grant.

Dancin' Douggy
27-02-2010, 09:34 PM
I know the feeling. Thank god there's no meat headed Shrek like Rocca to throw him to the ground like a rag doll. Ouch, those are talented limbs you're abusing.

WHen I saw that incident I thought a rule change should come in, to stop extreme and unnecessary force in a tackle. That tackle took years off Murphy's career, and the added twist and slam was completely unnecessary, he had already been stopped and stripped of the ball, and Rocca knew it.

Not long after the Rocca tackle, Leon Davis applied a similar unnecessary finale to a tackle on an opponent and DID HIS OWN KNEE.

Should be looked at.

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Gia looks out to prove something this year , great form for pre season. Murph should run riot on an open foward line and Griff is looking better than ever. Can't wait for the season proper.

always right
28-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Gia has made an artform of taking marks low down to the ground. See it time and time again...it's a real gift and often makes average passes look good. Impressed with his work on Friday night.

As for Murph...the hardest match-up in our side. A clear run with injuries this year is critical for our premiership chances. He looks tpo be moving well and his kicking has already improved markedly on last year.

stefoid
28-02-2010, 03:50 PM
We may have the luxury this year of playing Gia mainly in attack, with brief rotations on the ball, and have Higgins spend all his time in the midfield.

Mofra
28-02-2010, 04:37 PM
We may have the luxury this year of playing Gia mainly in attack, with brief rotations on the ball, and have Higgins spend all his time in the midfield.
Having one in the forward rotation at all times is a massive luxury for us - both are excellent finishers and are unlikely to attract one of the top 3 defenders from the opposition. Conversion rates from F50 entries is one stat many teams look at and these guys will help us in this regard.

samr
01-03-2010, 02:18 PM
I finally had a chance to watch friday nights game and I was super impressed with Gia's work. He laid two tackles that stuck in about 5 seconds at one point. The ahead year is looking good!

Ozza
02-03-2010, 10:39 AM
2 Very important players. Getting the ball in Gia's hands always increases our chances of a score.

And Murphy, well he is as important as any player on our list. Needs to stay fit.

Dry Rot
13-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Not real flash tonight - Saints really stopped him IMO. Blake?

chef
13-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Not real flash tonight - Saints really stopped him IMO. Blake?

It's nice to have a win when neither of these two played that well.

Dry Rot
13-03-2010, 11:39 PM
It's nice to have a win when neither of these two played that well.

If we can pump it in to the new old bald bloke at FF, then maybe it doesn't matter so much. :)

choconmientay
13-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Both players were not in my top 5 list tonight.

- Bazza , Tom Williams, Griffen, Coony, Higgins . Murphy just missed out :) I sat at the Saint goal end and it was really nice to see their loser faces in the fourth quarter :) Heeheheh, failed again in the Grand final.

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Looking good.... Very GOOD!

The Underdog
14-03-2010, 01:41 AM
I thought Murph did alright tonight. He's just such a smart footballer, there's so many small things he does that make a difference. He's beautiful to watch.

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 03:23 AM
I wasn't that impressed with Gia's game tonight, he created a few turnovers, but hey if he can regain some of the form he had last year before he got injured - great.

Murphy was excellent, he is impossible to match up on, they way he twists and turns - I think he got tackled just once - he represents a big chunk of our premiership game plan.

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Gia looks out to prove something this year , great form for pre season. Murph should run riot on an open foward line and Griff is looking better than ever. Can't wait for the season proper.

Amen to that Mumbles....... and I have to add a very fit and dangerous Cooney into the mix as well. Oh, yeah, come on Round 1 :cool:

EasternWest
14-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Both players were not in my top 5 list tonight.

- Bazza , Tom Williams, Griffin, Coony, Higgins . Murphy just missed out :) I sat at the Saint goal end and it was really nice to see their loser faces in the fourth quarter :) Heeheheh, failed again in the Grand final.

Who is Griffin, and why do you have him in your top 5 ahead of Griffen?

lemmon
14-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Was Gia played in the backhalf for a period last night or am I imagining things? I seem to remember him collecting a few touches back there last night. Agree that both weren't as clean as we usually expect but they both did some nice things. Murph seems to have his dancing and agility back which is promising.

choconmientay
14-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Who is Griffin, and why do you have him in your top 5 ahead of Griffen?

Thanks for the correction ;)

Charlie the Wonder Dog
15-03-2010, 01:50 PM
I thought Murph did alright tonight. He's just such a smart footballer, there's so many small things he does that make a difference. He's beautiful to watch.

here here, especially liked that flick on to Hill from a marking contest in the last quarter that ended in a goal to Higgens

The Underdog
16-03-2010, 11:05 AM
here here, especially liked that flick on to Hill from a marking contest in the last quarter that ended in a goal to Higgens

That was the one that came to mind. Hill did very well to make the most of it and his kick to Higgins was very smart.

Mantis
16-03-2010, 11:52 AM
That was the one that came to mind. Hill did very well to make the most of it and his kick to Higgins was very smart.

How can do this (kick it off the side of the foot to a leading target) yet can't kick through the easy (for a player of his talents) ones from the pocket?

He does some quite brilliant things at times and hope he continues to work hard on the field.

The Underdog
16-03-2010, 11:58 AM
How can do this (kick it off the side of the foot to a leading target) yet can't kick through the easy (for a player of his talents) ones from the pocket?

He does some quite brilliant things at times and hope he continues to work hard on the field.

He really seems to lean back on his set shots & doesn't kick through it enough. I remember initially that he seemed quite solid but he just seems to have gotten into some bad habits in that department.

Mantis
16-03-2010, 12:00 PM
He really seems to lean back on his set shots & doesn't kick through it enough. I remember initially that he seemed quite solid but he just seems to have gotten into some bad habits in that department.

It's been pointed out me that it may have something to do with a strange ball drop which I haven't seemed to notice.

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Murphy is a very smart player. His judgement of where the ball is going to be and awareness of players around him and up the field is top class.