PDA

View Full Version : Hall the missing link for Dogs: Hawkins

Hotdog60
02-03-2010, 06:37 PM
By Jennifer Witham
4:29 PM Tue 02 March, 2010

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20F-J/hall-v-hawks246f.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs great Doug Hawkins believes Barry Hall has provided the club with the ingredient it requires to break the longest premiership drought in the competition.

The former club captain watched in amazement on Friday night as Hall rediscovered some of his most powerful form in his first game as a Bulldog.

Hawkins described Hall as the "missing link" over the past two failed Bulldogs' finals campaigns.

"When Barry became available, I was very keen to get him," Hawkins told afl.com.au on Tuesday. "He's a big, strong, quality forward, not just a tall forward but a quality forward.

"You look at our last two years, the preliminary finals from last year; St Kilda had [Nick] Riewoldt and Geelong had [Cameron] Mooney and [Tom] Hawkins to kick the ball long to.

"We haven't been able to do that when we've been under pressure because Johnno's only my size. Now when we get the ball out of the midfield and we're undecided of where to go, we can kick it long to Barry and put him one on one like the days when we had Kelvin Templeton or Chris Grant or Simon Beasley."
More (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/90098/default.aspx)

LostDoggy
02-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Dougy is never one to keep a lid on it is he :o:p

LostDoggy
02-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Obviously it was a great performance by Barry on Friday night but I'd still love to keep a lid on it until we see how he's going by mid year or so. The thing I liked about his game was that he either looked like marking it or picking it up and brushing guys off. The delivery to him will only get better in my opinion.

Go Dogs!

Mofra
03-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Screw the lid. Tear it off I say, get the fringe members excited and signed up, get the media attention. It's time to stop flying under the radar and show a bit of outward confidence as a club. I can't think of a premiership team that didn't have a bit of swagger to it.

Greystache
03-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Screw the lid. Tear it off I say, get the fringe members excited and signed up, get the media attention. It's time to stop flying under the radar and show a bit of outward confidence as a club. I can't think of a premiership team that didn't have a bit of swagger to it.

Couldn't agree more Mofra. The flying under the radar, keeping a lid on things approach hasn't achieved anything other than reduce the excitement around the club and the chances of fringe supporters signing up. I'm all for putting ourselves out there and showing a bit of a swagger, the difference between the best teams and the middle of the road teams is often that slight mental edge.

Let's face it, if we talk the talk but fail to walk the walk we're hardly going to lose the respect of the other clubs, but if we deliver we might just win some.

Murphy'sLore
03-03-2010, 01:09 PM
I agree, Mofra and Greystache, let's go for it and enjoy feeling a bit of confidence for once! Let's be proud to believe in ourselves.

strebla
03-03-2010, 01:32 PM
We have to put it all on table and say we can and will win it let the players and supporters know we have the confidence and the group to go all the way!!!!!!

LostDoggy
03-03-2010, 01:50 PM
I don't think it matters two hoots what us bloggers do but I think it's time the players walked a bit taller and with the suggested swagger.

I'm not sure, as Rocket oberved on arriving at the kennel, that we have got out of our introverted ways all that much.

Displaying an air of confidence and perhaps controlled arrogance just might make a difference come September and for that matter, all the way through the season.

The players and us bloggers have plenty to be confident about.

AndrewP6
03-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Call me boring, but I'm keeping the lid on. September is a hell of a long way off, and a good NAB Cup game doesn't mean that much. That said, it's great having some of the buzz we're currently getting.

LostDoggy
03-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Great photo, Barry in the jumper, dodgin' and weavin' before a snap shot on goal, if I see that too many times in the real season my lid will be blown well off!

Bulldog Revolution
03-03-2010, 10:54 PM
I don't think it matters two hoots what us bloggers do but I think it's time the players walked a bit taller and with the suggested swagger.

I'm not sure, as Rocket oberved on arriving at the kennel, that we have got out of our introverted ways all that much.

Displaying an air of confidence and perhaps controlled arrogance just might make a difference come September and for that matter, all the way through the season.

The players and us bloggers have plenty to be confident about.

Sure, most of that is reasonable. But they have to put the runs on the board - Talk is cheap in this internet age.

I don't see Hall as the missing link. I think he could be a part of the solution for us but we have a lot of other areas that have to improve if we are planning on winning a flag.

I just cant but help sitting here thinking: I bet Hawthorn thought they were on the verge of a dynasty at this time last year.

I just hope that our desire for this premiership does not overburden the players. They have to forget the past, forget the history and forge their own identity.

The Adelaide Connection
04-03-2010, 02:24 AM

I was shocked to see how little coverage the Dogs get in the Melbourne media on my visits last year. Bet that changed the day after Barry kicked six. Exposure is vital to growing the brand and attracting sponsors and it's about time we stopped being 'everyones second favourite team' and started winning a new breed of supporters too.

EasternWest
04-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Sure, most of that is reasonable. But they have to put the runs on the board - Talk is cheap in this internet age.

I don't see Hall as the missing link. I think he could be a part of the solution for us but we have a lot of other areas that have to improve if we are planning on winning a flag.
I just cant but help sitting here thinking: I bet Hawthorn thought they were on the verge of a dynasty at this time last year.

I just hope that our desire for this premiership does not overburden the players. They have to forget the past, forget the history and forge their own identity.

Spot on BR. There's so much more to the puzzle than him (but it's good to have him).

ledge
04-03-2010, 05:24 PM
WESTERN Bulldogs great Doug Hawkins believes Barry Hall has provided the club with the ingredient it requires to break the longest premiership drought in the competition.

Doug is just saying what most of us are thinking.
Because he is a past star it gets written up.

Mofra
05-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Articles in the Hun now quotes Dempsey & Darcy as saying the same thing.

Will make the Hall show interesting viewing tonight

LostDoggy
05-03-2010, 12:01 PM
We have to remember that it will only take one loss of patience and Hall could be gone..for good. There will be days where his patience and temperament are truly tested. I remember games where he wasn't allowed to mark or get near the ball (just got teamed out of contests) and couldn't buy a free kick. There will be games like that again, and the question will be...can he handle his frustrations any better than last time? We don't know how he will perform under immense pressure yet. The hype on him as our saviour is ridiculous. For me, it is what he will allow other players to do and whether the likes of Aka can feed off him that will make a difference.....which will be just as important as how many goals he actually kicks.

I take what Dougy says with a grain of salt.

Jasper
05-03-2010, 12:57 PM
I have vivid recollections of Massive Merv from Moorabbin who used to call into Tony's Talkback on the Coodabeens.
When the Saints were on a tear back in 1997 he called in and yelled at the top of his voice ........ "CASSEROLE!!!".
Tony starts laughing.
"CASSEROLE!!!" again
What are you talking about Massive?
"CASSEROLE...........we're keeping the lid on it"

So if we're looking for a catch cry in season 2010, there it is... "CASSEROLE!!!!"

BulldogBelle
06-03-2010, 04:38 AM
I think Shane Crawford's article in the HUN some weeks ago singling us out as his premiership favourite was the first signs of outsiders trying to rip the lid off prematurely. I reckon there is a notion around some other clubs that we aren't great front runners and so I reckon the more hype that surrounds us, the more opposition teams perceive that we could be in a weakened mental state.
Let's celebrate the avalanche of victories that will come our way during the home and away season, and walk with an air of confidence as some have suggested above... but I think if we supporters or worse still, the players start celebrating winning a flag before it happens, then woe to us all!!

chef
06-03-2010, 07:51 AM
Why couldn't he have come to us two years ago:(.

mighty_west
07-03-2010, 02:11 AM
Whats impressed me so far with Barry, is the way he just presents himself, he is a tireless worker, just knows where to run to lead, but he isn't JUST a leading forward, the way he smashes packs, and those big pack marks, they were just massive.

The way he has been moving as well, he looks like he's 25 again, i know it's early on, just the 2 games, but he has that new lease on life.

Joshy Hill works well along side him, Murph has been impressive, he has also worked around Barry, Mitch has been moved around a bit, but has also found space for a few grabs up forward.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the whole thing works, when Johnno is back after 3 or 4 games, with Gia up there as well, so far Barry has been the main man, but he has definatly not been the only man, and that is the main difference.

Happy days.

Bulldog4life
07-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Whats impressed me so far with Barry, is the way he just presents himself, he is a tireless worker, just knows where to run to lead, but he isn't JUST a leading forward, the way he smashes packs, and those big pack marks, they were just massive.

The way he has been moving as well, he looks like he's 25 again, i know it's early on, just the 2 games, but he has that new lease on life.

Happy days.

I remember earlier in the season that Rocket was quoted as saying that he believed Barry could play for at least another 3 years at least.

Mantis
07-03-2010, 11:14 AM
I remember earlier in the season that Rocket was quoted as saying that he believed Barry could play for at least another 3 years at least.

With the way Barry has his body prepared you could realistically say that this is possible. His speed and agility look very good for a 33 year old, but it is only March and there would be doubts to if he can still move the way he is later on in the season when the body isn't as 'fresh' as it is now.

Bulldog4life
07-03-2010, 11:16 AM
With the way Barry has his body prepared you could realistically say that this is possible. His speed and agility look very good for a 33 year old, but it is only March and there would be doubts to if he can still move the way he is later on in the season when the body isn't as 'fresh' as it is now.

True. Be great if it happened though.:)

ledge
07-03-2010, 05:06 PM
His body and fitness has never been an issue at any club has it?
Its his blow ups that we worry about more than anything else.
The few months he had off before joining us have been good for him to reaccess, regenerate and realize maybe football is something he loves.
At a club that suits his game to a "T" and the club he and his family have grown up supporting.
God only knows why it took so long for him to get here.