PDA

View Full Version : DFA - I dont think so.

ReLoad
04-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Ok, crank out your I hate you rubber stamps and get ready to bombard me.

DFA, To me, he is not in our best 22 in 2010.

Now I am happy to be proved wrong, but to me, he just doesnt have it. His Cons far outweigh his pro's. His lack of Leg speed, No burst of pace, poor disposal, and some questionable decision making.

I watched the hawks game again the other night, and i really couldn't see how he has improved from last year, given we have some great kids who NEED game time, i cannot see the value in him in 2010, I would rather give Dre more game time for example.

Now again I am happy to be proved wrong, but tough decisions need to be made at the selection table, and mine, for whatever that's worth says he isn't in the best 22 we can field.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

EasternWest
04-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Yes.

I don't think you deserve a bombardment for that as all you did was fairly state your opinion. And I hate you.:)

As I've said on other posts regarding DFA (who it is obviously clear is my favourite player) it's the gap between his best and worst that has to be closed. How that's achieved I'm not sure, but I'll always maintain that there is room on a team for a guy without fear and, even you'd have to acknowledge, he is capable of some very good play.

He just needs to do it consistently.

Is it confidence? I don't know. But I remain hopeful that he finds what it is that will elevate his game, because I honestly think we're a better side when he's in it.

Mantis
04-03-2010, 11:52 AM
DFA, To me, he is not in our best 22 in 2010.

I don't think this statement is any great revelation as most Bulldog supporters probably agree.

soupman
04-03-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't think this statement is any great revelation as most Bulldog supporters probably agree.

I'd second that. I don't think many would have him in the best 22, and he might even struggle to make the best 25 behind guys like Picken, Everitt and Reid.

I like him as a player, but I agree in that he doesn't really add that much to our side. He still doesn't really have a position he excels in, and as mentioned his disposal is often inaccurate or to the wrong player. I think he's destined to be fringe until we get a few injuries or retirements that open up a spot in our side for him, but I would love to be proved wrong, he had a very good season in 2008.

ledge
04-03-2010, 01:06 PM
DFA was the Picken we had before Picken, seriously think he would be a regular at a lot of other clubs.

He is a depth player who makes us as good as we are as when he does come in the side, be it injury or whatever the kid always puts in 100% and can hold his own.

Would hate to see him leave or be cut (which i doubt) but I would not be surprised if other clubs looked at him.
I like him a lot, he shows the Bulldog spirit and seems quite loyal.

The Pie Man
04-03-2010, 01:16 PM
I've been guilty (like a lot of emotional fans and their knee jerk responses) of burning players for what I think are repeated errors when I see it happen once (it may be a repeated error, but witnessing it at the time, you can't recall the specifics of previous indescretions...and yet I'll think the same thing happens all the time)

DFA almost entered this realm for me against Geelong last year (round 21)

3rd quarter, positioned to receive the ball on our HB flank, decent pick up, fails to dispose of the footy quickly enough with an option available, tackled, holding the ball, Geelong move forward and score a goal, continuing their momentum. It was poor, and for me it pointed to his decision making or hesitancy to use the first option. I looked at Sam Power through the same lenses.

Hard at it and decent overhead for his size though, and I didn't think he was slow - but his decision making doesn't seem to be improving. I'd be very surprised to see him play round 1 or much this year, but he's pretty decent to have at Willi for depth.

Sockeye Salmon
04-03-2010, 01:22 PM
DFA's best chance of becoming an Eker is with GWS

LostDoggy
04-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Honest trier who really commits his body to the contest. I admire is guts. Skill would need to greatly improve along with decision making to become a regular. We need him for depth though.

Ozza
04-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Am inclined to agree with the OP.

Looking at our PF team last year - if - we replace Welsh with Hall - of those who missed out I'd have Williams, Everitt, Wood, Reid, Hill in front of Addison - and in all likelihood - Roughead, Jones and Moles will probably play before him depending on circumstance.

DA goes hard, and appears to be a good team man. But pace and skills are the cornerstone of our game style and they are his weakness.

Throughandthrough
04-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Who or what is DFA?

LostDoggy
04-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Who or what is DFA?

Dylan F&$%s-up Again, by the sound of it. Either that or Don't F&$%in' Ask.

ledge
04-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Dylan f#%#ing Addison.

westdog54
04-03-2010, 04:07 PM
^^
Dylan F***ing Addison

I'll agree with the general sentiment, the gap between his best and worst needs to close, and I've seen them both enough to know that he's more than capable of being in our best 22.

He's no dud. I think that's an important thing to emphasise. I agree with Sockeye that he may get a chance with GWS, but he's got a lot of work to do or needs some luck if he wants regular or even semi-regular gametime in 2010.

To the OP: Your post was well thought out and fair. It wasn't a pot shot and you were happy to cop some flak. That is the sort of posting and discussion that we love on WOOF. Never be afraid to start a good discussion.

EasternWest
04-03-2010, 04:46 PM
^^
Dylan F***ing Addison

I'll agree with the general sentiment, the gap between his best and worst needs to close, and I've seen them both enough to know that he's more than capable of being in our best 22.

He's no dud. I think that's an important thing to emphasise. I agree with Sockeye that he may get a chance with GWS, but he's got a lot of work to do or needs some luck if he wants regular or even semi-regular gametime in 2010.

To the OP: Your post was well thought out and fair. It wasn't a pot shot and you were happy to cop some flak. That is the sort of posting and discussion that we love on WOOF. Never be afraid to start a good discussion.

Agreed.

And there's another thread somewhere about how DFA came to be. It had to do with Brad Johnson giving him his jersey before the game and Johnno highlighting his work ethic and dedication. His oratory was littered with the F word, even managing one between Dylan and Addison. Hence DFA.

What Johnno didn't know was that speech was broadcast live on tv.

Twodogs
04-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Who or what is DFA?

Dylan F&$%s-up Again, by the sound of it. Either that or Don't F&$%in' Ask.

Dylan ****ing Addison.

Just before Dylan's first game Johnno presented him with his jumper out on the ground. The speech that Johnno made was liberally sprayed with four letter words and finished with Johnno saying "This boy, no this MAN, has worked so ****ing hard to get this ****ing opportunity. Dylan ****ING Addison here is your jumper".

Cyberdoggie
04-03-2010, 06:11 PM
I think Dylan is really suffering from a loss in confidence.

He is making bad decisions because he is scared of stuffing up.

This is also causing him to play the way he has lately, ie on the rare occasions he gets the pill he handballs a safe one straight away and doesn't run with it at all.
Early on he used to show a bit of speed and penetration with his kicks but his lack of accuracy and his frequent mistakes have turned him into a very conservative player. So now he's just a backup.

Go_Dogs
04-03-2010, 06:26 PM

This is also causing him to play the way he has lately, ie on the rare occasions he gets the pill he handballs a safe one straight away and doesn't run with it at all.
Early on he used to show a bit of speed and penetration with his kicks but his lack of accuracy and his frequent mistakes have turned him into a very conservative player. So now he's just a backup.

I think that's a terrific assessment CD.

At his best, he could become a pretty handy player. I'm not prepared to write him off yet, because determined, hard working guys like Addison always find a way to make it when others around them are writing them off.

lemmon
04-03-2010, 07:27 PM
If my memory serves me correctly he was our second round pick behind Higgins? Surely we would have expected more from a relatively high pick who is now seen as a 'depth player' at the age of 21. Not sure whether the problem is natural talent or how has he been developed. Does anyone know how highly he was rated as a youngster?

comrade
04-03-2010, 07:44 PM
I gave him a serve a couple of times last week - once for getting out positioned in a one on one marking contest right on the Hawks attacking 50, and the other for recklessly throwing his body at a marking contest (again) which knocked over his fellow Bulldogs defenders and handed the Hawks an easy goal. As a smaller, non-pacy defender, poor decision making/positioning is inexcusable, no matter how hard he is at a contest.

I've said it before previously, but I think a defensive forward role could be his go. He's a headcase when it comes to throwing his body around, and he's not bad overhead so could be a marking option if his opponent tries to play off him. Also, playing a negating role within our attacking zone means he's unlikely to gift the opposition an easy goal (which he seems to do too often)

If he can take a dangerous opposition defender and keep him quiet, while helping to maintain possession within our forward 50 (or at least keep it from trampolining out), he'd be more than useful (ala Max Rooke).

Unfortunately, if he doesn't find a role soon, he'll miss the boat with others on the list quickly going past him.

bornadog
04-03-2010, 08:21 PM

Is that due to a lack of confidence? Is his lack of football as a teenager coming back to haunt him? He has shown some ability in the past but he now needs to stand up or it may be his last year.

Bumper Bulldogs
04-03-2010, 08:30 PM

I tend to agree with you CD. However he was a very handy player before doing his knee and he hasn't been the same since. it makes me think back along the same as Darcy, although he had 2 knee reco's.

LostDoggy
04-03-2010, 09:40 PM
DFA is just not up to it.

Yes, I admire his courage and he puts his body on the line but this isn't good enough when you turn the ball over continually and your leg speed is slower than my wife's. How he got a two year contract is beyond me.

When you watch the team go about its business it is quite obvious that DFA is not at the same level, much the same as Brennan Stack. Stack might have some improvement but when you're 21 or whatever and this slow already, you're not going to last long, he never looks fit enough to me anyway.

Still if he plays in a premiership...

The Adelaide Connection
04-03-2010, 10:00 PM
^^
Dylan F***ing Addison

Spot on, great post. I dont think anyone ever had him in the 'best 22' and the real worry for him is he may never be.

Does anyone else kinda get the feeling that he is going to be one of those players that goes somewhere else and really gets it together?

The Adelaide Connection
04-03-2010, 10:10 PM
DFA is just not up to it.

Yes, I admire his courage and he puts his body on the line but this isn't good enough when you turn the ball over continually and your leg speed is slower than my wife's. How he got a two year contract is beyond me.

When you watch the team go about its business it is quite obvious that DFA is not at the same level, much the same as Brennan Stack. Stack might have some improvement but when you're 21 or whatever and this slow already, you're not going to last long, he never looks fit enough to me anyway.

Still if he plays in a premiership...

I would think confidence, not speed, is his real issue. It is not uncommon for players to get their stuff together later, there is a bloke that is currently the games record holder that had a number of false starts and didn't really get it together till 21ish. Yeah I know it was another era but there were similarities with his son. Oh and Picken didn't play his first game till 22.

You never know....

Remi Moses
04-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Probably not in our best 22. definately not a Dud either ,just needs to improve his decision making and kicking skills. Could not question his courage

Cyberdoggie
04-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Is that due to a lack of confidence? Is his lack of football as a teenager coming back to haunt him? He has shown some ability in the past but he now needs to stand up or it may be his last year.

Yes he doesn't have the skills the others have, but i think now that he is making mistakes it is always in his head, so he plays very conservatively when he has the ball, takes the safe option. It certainly hasn't helped him, and i can see similarities in Tom Williams's game creeping in.

We have all seen him play much better than he is now. When he injured his knee/arm? in sydney he was playing some good aggressive football and took risks. Now he just looks lost.

Dazza
04-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Reminds me of Shane Birss. Both are good players but might struggle making it into a good teams 22.

BulldogBelle
04-03-2010, 11:46 PM
DFA is a DUD.

His best and his worst? Has he ever impressed as a good player - NO! He has never looked the goods.

Should have been cut last year - to give others a go

That Brennan Stack looks a bit iffy too. WHAT DO PEOPLE SEE IN HIM?

mjp
05-03-2010, 01:25 AM
DFA is a DUD.

His best and his worst? Has he ever impressed as a good player - NO! He has never looked the goods.

Yep - Addison needs to improve. To call him a dud who has never looked the goods and suggest he should have been delisted - with no reasoning or justification - is just ridiculous. Question his decision making, fine. Say he misses a few targets, fine. But he is young, on the fringes of the side and not exactly holding back the development of any budding superstars.

As for Stack, he is trying to make a living playing the toughest role in footy - permanent small forward - and to this point in his career he has been doing it in a team with no notable key forward to bring the ball to ground. I guess people see leg speed and finishing skills - didn't he kick 4 in a game once last year?

chef
05-03-2010, 07:43 AM
DFA is a DUD.

Sorry, but that's crap. Before he hurt his knee in 2008 he was in very good form, holding his spot in the team and was missed once he went down.

ReLoad
05-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Ok, So it seems im certainly not Robinson Crusoe in my thoughts about DFA.

The question is, in todays game of ultra tight list management, salary caps, new teams poaching players, Free agency etc, where do we see him fitting in?

Does he have a role as more than a "backup player"?

I have to admit, along with one other player in the bulldogs team (who i will turn the flame thrower on in another post at another time) Whenever DFA gets the ball i cannot look, i think "ah crap here we go", apple turnover, where the heck will this end up.

BUT, ill throw in a comparison, i used to feel exactly the same way about Nathan Eagleton, different player with different skills i know, but im happy to admit i was WAY wrong on him, and hopefully, maybe im wrong on DFA.

So lets throw some left fielders out, is he a good player for us to loose? in terms of Gold coast/GWS looking at taking our players, of which we all know Scotty C will try and do, is he one we want or are willing to lose?

The Coon Dog
05-03-2010, 08:50 AM
So lets throw some left fielders out, is he a good player for us to loose? in terms of Gold coast/GWS looking at taking our players, of which we all know Scotty C will try and do, is he one we want or are willing to lose?

If he's as poor as you think, then surely he's not even on the radar of of GC/GWS!

Sedat
05-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Sorry, but that's crap. Before he hurt his knee in 2008 he was in very good form, holding his spot in the team and was missed once he went down.
He hasn't been the same since he sustained that knee injury (a PCL from memory) against Carlton that prematurely ended his 2008 season. You're right - he was a walk up start and a permanent fixture in the 2008 team up to that point and was having a break-out season. Unfortunately he did regress in 2009 and others have started to move ahead of him on the list. Not a lost cause by any stretch but he needs to continue working as hard as he can on eradicating his deficiencies (decision making, disposal by foot, agility). He has some fantastic attributes that would become even more valuable if he can improve in other areas.

ReLoad
05-03-2010, 10:33 AM
If he's as poor as you think, then surely he's not even on the radar of of GC/GWS!

Im not saying that at all, He is a backup player for us(thats what im saying), no doubt, but in a new formed squad, like GC17, is he of interest for them, given Scotty C's intimate knowledge of him.

If you were forming a new team, you look at fringe players, especially young ones as you have a potential upside, thats the point im getting at.

If we were to loose someone or two, He would not be the worst we could lose, if you get my meaning.

mjp
05-03-2010, 11:55 AM
BUT, ill throw in a comparison, i used to feel exactly the same way about Nathan Eagleton, different player with different skills i know, but im happy to admit i was WAY wrong on him, and hopefully, maybe im wrong on DFA.

Mantis???

EasternWest
05-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Mantis???

Stirrer.

EasternWest
05-03-2010, 01:09 PM
DFA is a DUD.

Geez, you need to rewind your memory back to the Richmond game in 2008 (yes, yes I know a while ago. And I'd agree that he's struggled to recapture that form after his PCL). One particular segment of play highlighted just how good he was becoming. Sprinted 30-40 metres to make a desperate last second spoil, reclaimed the ball, took on a tackler, two bounces and hit Aker on a lead 30 out right in front at full pace.

It was inspirational play, about 10 senior guys got around him and Aker even ran 60 metres just to pat his back.

Whenever I hear people bag him unfairly (as I believe you have here), I always mention this passage of play because it was near perfect AFL football.

I agree he has flaws, but I also believe there's plenty of hope for him too.

westdog54
05-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Geez, you need to rewind your memory back to the Richmond game in 2008 (yes, yes I know a while ago. And I'd agree that he's struggled to recapture that form after his PCL). One particular segment of play highlighted just how good he was becoming. Sprinted 30-40 metres to make a desperate last second spoil, reclaimed the ball, took on a tackler, two bounces and hit Aker on a lead 30 out right in front at full pace.

It was inspirational play, about 10 senior guys got around him and Aker even ran 60 metres just to pat his back.

Whenever I hear people bag him unfairly (as I believe you have here), I always mention this passage of play because it was near perfect AFL football.

You can add the StKilda game that same year to that list. Had a fantastic game.

The statement "He has never looked the goods" is so far out of line its almost comical.

LostDoggy
05-03-2010, 01:39 PM
You can add the StKilda game that same year to that list. Had a fantastic game.

The statement "He has never looked the goods" is so far out of line its almost comical.

What you said ;)

LostDoggy
05-03-2010, 02:15 PM
I am unreservedly a DFA fan, in 2008 he brought hardness to a team deficient in the quality, he also blossomed with his role and consecutive matches, he also seemed to have some versatility, the good news for us and sad for DFA is that some other players have surpassed him now and I dont like his chances of regular footy at the dogs and without that he wont develop. I think he should be traded next season for his own good. He will do well at one of the new teams or even somewhere like Melbourne.

LostDoggy
05-03-2010, 02:42 PM

Thats one passage of play in 5 years, Jason Wild probably had one great passage of play as well

Topdog
05-03-2010, 03:25 PM
He quite simply isn't good enough to be playing in a GF side based on skill. But his tenacity at the ball and reckless abandon that he plays with will get him games and that is why he shines at intra club matches and NAB cup.

Hopefully he improves his disposal.

LostDoggy
05-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Geez, you need to rewind your memory back to the Richmond game in 2008 (yes, yes I know a while ago. And I'd agree that he's struggled to recapture that form after his PCL).

I have always been an unashamed DFA fan, and can also admit to being disappointed with his performances in 2009. However, I think the point you've highlighted, while having been touched on a few times, is too lightly glossed over.

A knee injury is one of the most crippling injuries in sports, especially in a 360-degree, twisting, lunging, explosive sport like footy. Torn ACL/PCLs have (until Macelski) traditionally been seen as a minimum one-year rehab (which is MASSIVE considering that the average lifespan of an AFL footy career is under 3 years!), and a knee reconstruction is one of the only operations that is considered a certain season-ender.

We've seen absolute superstars come back after knee injuries and not look remotely the same player, so I think some concession has to be had for a player who has managed to hold his own and remain physically competitive despite the setback to his development and coming from a non-traditional footy background. He still throws himself into everything, which is the hardest thing to do after wrecking your knee, and any perceived tentativeness about his running and decision making could very well have a lot to do with the fact that his legs are still not 100% (and won't be for a while yet -- how many times do we see secondary soft-tissue injuries with players coming back from an ACL -- hammies and tendinitis being especially common).

Certainly well worth persevering with, and may well play his best footy post-25 (as his footballing brain matures) ala Brett Kirk or even our very own Matthew Boyd (both of which faced very similar criticisms early in their careers as DFA is now). Crucial to our depth and succession planning as the Cross's of the world get older.

EasternWest
05-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Thats one passage of play in 5 years, Jason Wild probably had one great passage of play as well

Point taken. Though the curtain is closed on Jason Wild, and what Dylan becomes remains to be seen.

It's also worth mentioning that he played 17 games in his fourth year, 2008, before his injury and was a walk up start. I would imagine that it takes about that long for most young players to consolidate a spot (unless they're stars of course) and get that amount of games.

Simply calling him a dud is not true or fair.

LostDoggy
05-03-2010, 06:48 PM
It's funny but there are times in a game when we need the desperate effort he brings to the table, but equally there are times when a key turn over can be very costly and you just wish he had better peripheral vision or better execution under pressure. You'd like to have him because he can bring self sacrifice and sheer determination to the table when that's just what the team needs, but you also wish he could create more effectively like having the time that Murph seems to / used to have or the penetrating kick of a Gilbee. I guess he can't be everything, but his position must be under threat from anyone who can demonstrate these attributes. It will be interesting to see if Moles can develop his game and what that means for the likes of Addison and Callan.

EasternWest
05-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Fair post metal.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-03-2010, 12:39 AM
Much of the same from Dylan tonight. Shows great tenacity and is able to win the ball in close through sheer determination, but turns it over quite often. His decision making and disposal is very costly and it's been highlighted playing as a defender in recent weeks. I think he should be played up the ground.

LostDoggy
06-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Point taken. Though the curtain is closed on Jason Wild, and what Dylan becomes remains to be seen.

It's also worth mentioning that he played 17 games in his fourth year, 2008, before his injury and was a walk up start. I would imagine that it takes about that long for most young players to consolidate a spot (unless they're stars of course) and get that amount of games.

Simply calling him a dud is not true or fair.

Yes i agree but it is also fair to say that he will never be a walk up start again no matter how much heart the guy has,

Im this day and age you need skill as well as heart and sorry to say i don't thonk DFA has both

craigsahibee
06-03-2010, 02:01 AM
I love his attack on the footy, but I used to love Daryl Griffin's attack on the footy also. DFA just has to improve his decision making and disposal. Maybe some midfield time at Pt. Gellibrand could sort that out. I hope so. He is a favourite.

macca
06-03-2010, 02:19 AM
We should trade him to Sydney, might get a second round pick for him. He has an uncanny resemblance to Brett Kirk, and probably in the "fringe" stage at his age. He could really blossom under Kriky's leadership. Can he become a hard in and under player ?

Will be interesting to see what happens to DFA this year. But I rated him in his early games at Werribee in his first year. He just needs to recapture some of that 2008 form.

BulldogBelle
06-03-2010, 04:15 AM
I think he presents us with some good trade value for a draft pick at the end of this season. Most people here agree he is not in the best 22 and won't play every game this year. Say he plays 5-8 games for the year, what do people think his trade value would be at years end?

chef
06-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Much of the same from Dylan tonight. Shows great tenacity and is able to win the ball in close through sheer determination, but turns it over quite often. His decision making and disposal is very costly and it's been highlighted playing as a defender in recent weeks. I think he should be played up the ground.

His disposal is proving to be a liability in the back line.

Go_Dogs
06-03-2010, 10:58 AM
I didn't think think his disposal was THAT bad last night. Made one absolute howler, but besides that I think he was generally OK. Did a wonderful tap on towards the end of the game that showed great poise and vision. Tackling and attacking the contest as always first rate.

I'd have him pretty close to the 22 to Rd 1 based on that performance.

G-Mo77
06-03-2010, 12:53 PM
I didn't think think his disposal was THAT bad last night. Made one absolute howler, but besides that I think he was generally OK. Did a wonderful tap on towards the end of the game that showed great poise and vision. Tackling and attacking the contest as always first rate.

I'd have him pretty close to the 22 to Rd 1 based on that performance.

I think people are just focusing on him to much. If you put any player under the microscope, especially a fringe player you'll notice a lot of mistakes. Picken and now Moles will make it hard for him to get back though but he seems to have the desire there and will push for selection.

As I've always said I love the way he plays and I'm glad he's on our list. I'm not going to hang him out to dry just yet.

hujsh
06-03-2010, 01:51 PM
We should trade him to Sydney, might get a second round pick for him. He has an uncanny resemblance to Brett Kirk, and probably in the "fringe" stage at his age. He could really blossom under Kriky's leadership. Can he become a hard in and under player ?

Will be interesting to see what happens to DFA this year. But I rated him in his early games at Werribee in his first year. He just needs to recapture some of that 2008 form.

:D

Never mind if Sydney want him. Also very very very unlikely we'd get a 2nd round pick for a fringe player we're looking to offload. 4th round at best unless he shows otherwise at AFL level and we still decided to send him off.