PDA

View Full Version : Which is the better team right now: Dogs or Bombers?

Dry Rot
09-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Cracking game last night.

Very impressed with the Dons spine and the way they gutsed it out to get back into the game.

Just shows what happens when you play 3 tall forwards!!!!

Well ahead of us right now IMO in structure, work rate etc

Thoughts?

GVGjr
09-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Cracking game last night.

Very impressed with the Dons spine and the way they gutsed it out to get back into the game.

Just shows what happens when you play 3 tall forwards!!!!

Well ahead of us right now IMO in structure, work rate etc

Thoughts?

I still believe that we are a better team than the Bombers. It's very easy to say that they are playing 3 tall forwards but when you consider the quality of the guys of course they would.
Quite frankly we don't have anywhere near the same quality and I don't abide to the rule that you just play talls for the sake of it.
I still remember that everyone was calling out for Davidson to be played last year, who was in poor form, just because he was tall.

Out of curiosity, are you saying we should play 3 tall forwards with the guys we have?
I'd like to see Doogs in there but I'm struggling to see who else should be there on form.

Dry Rot
09-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Out of curiosity, are you saying we should play 3 tall forwards with the guys we have?
I'd like to see Doogs in there but I'm struggling to see who else should be there on form.

Three? No, but two would be a good start. Or hell, even one.

McDougall would be one, maybe Street or Minson the other.

Sadly I've got a feeling that Darcy isn't up to at.

GVGjr
09-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Three? No, but two would be a good start. Or hell, even one.

McDougall would be one, maybe Street or Minson the other.

Sadly I've got a feeling that Darcy isn't up to at.

Street and Minson are not genuine options up forward. They would be far too easily exploited. Ideally it should be Darcy and McDougall.

Dry Rot
09-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Ideally perhaps, but it seems Darcy is not up to it. Not currently anyway.

Dry Rot
09-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Quite frankly we don't have anywhere near the same quality and I don't abide to the rule that you just play talls for the sake of it.

Unlike many teams, we have no young talls coming through. Drafting "best available" isn't looking so flash now IMO.

I'm sick of our dwarf forward line and I can't see too many solutions other than McDougall. (Still not happy re my trip to Canberra)

bornadog
10-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Unlike many teams, we have no young talls coming through. Drafting "best available" isn't looking so flash now IMO.

I'm sick of our dwarf forward line and I can't see too many solutions other than McDougall. (Still not happy re my trip to Canberra)

Not sure why you are worried about a dwarf forward line, with the structure we have got we kick big scores and in fact from 2005 to current we are in the top three for most goals kicked. Our problem has been allowing teams to kick lots of goals on us and this is really due to two main reasons. The midfield not being accountable and allowing the quick ball into the opposition forward line and the other problem has been CHB. We now have a couple of options with Wight and Williams. Williams played a good game tonight in only his second game picking up 18 disposals, 13 marks (although alot of uncontested when they started playing kick to kick in the backline)

I wouldn't mind McDougall up in the forward line giving us a target and maybe you can throw in Chris if you really want some talls. Unfortunatetly it hasn't worked with having a resting ruckman in the forward line. They just stand there and don't lead out and expect the ball to come to them.

LostDoggy
10-06-2007, 10:14 AM
If we have the luck and umpiring Essendon has we'd be undefeated atm.

Go_Dogs
10-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Essendon are certainly playing some good football, and atm I'd have them slightly ahead of us. Unlike us, they have beaten the top 2 interstate teams, WC and Sydney. They have a very good forward structure, Lucas and Lloyd are both great, Laycock, Hille etc offer them some different mixes with resting talls, Davey and Monfries are both good in the small forward role and applying defensive pressure. Their backline is looking not too bad, I still think Mcphee and some of those guys aren't that great, but Fletcher and Michael is pretty imposing. The one area that let's them down IMO is their midfield, bit slow not the greatest skills, but they were inspired on Friday, and if Hird keeps playing like he has, they will be hard to beat.

dog town
10-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Is there a bigger hypocrite going around than Sheedy. Flooded the life out of West Coast but is the first to criticise others for the same tactic.

Hard to remember the eagles playing that badly for a half. If Hird keeps getting 400 clearances a game then the bombers will always be around the mark. Hird is a genius.

Sockeye Salmon
12-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Not sure why you are worried about a dwarf forward line, with the structure we have got we kick big scores and in fact from 2005 to current we are in the top three for most goals kicked. Our problem has been allowing teams to kick lots of goals on us and this is really due to two main reasons. The midfield not being accountable and allowing the quick ball into the opposition forward line and the other problem has been CHB. We now have a couple of options with Wight and Williams. Williams played a good game tonight in only his second game picking up 18 disposals, 13 marks (although alot of uncontested when they started playing kick to kick in the backline)

I wouldn't mind McDougall up in the forward line giving us a target and maybe you can throw in Chris if you really want some talls. Unfortunatetly it hasn't worked with having a resting ruckman in the forward line. They just stand there and don't lead out and expect the ball to come to them.
But why are the midfield unaccountable?

Simple, they have to take risks and work forward of the ball otherwise we won't score. Our small forwards have to be given perfect passes to have a chance, kicks that come in under pressure come back out even faster.

Fixing the forward line would go a long towards fixing the goals against problem. Unfortunately the cupboard is pretty bare.

Go_Dogs
12-06-2007, 03:11 PM
On a side note: Did anyone see Hurn kick that great goal to start WC off? Turned Davey inside out one the left side of the 50m line, took a few steps and kicked a lovely goal.

Dry Rot
12-06-2007, 06:38 PM
But why are the midfield unaccountable?

Simple, they have to take risks and work forward of the ball otherwise we won't score. Our small forwards have to be given perfect passes to have a chance, kicks that come in under pressure come back out even faster.

Fixing the forward line would go a long towards fixing the goals against problem. Unfortunately the cupboard is pretty bare.

Yep, we have no obvious young tall forwards coming through, bar Walsh.