PDA

View Full Version : What a crap game

Dry Rot
10-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Yes, a win's a win, but that was a rubbish game.

Only seen 3 quarters so far, but what a shocker.

Two outside top 8 teams playing. After last night, this is embarrassing.

dog town
10-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Wasn't a great game but cant fault our efforts. I think you might be under valueing how well we played particularly early on. Brisbane are way out of form but they should have been up for last night and to get out to a 50 point lead after being down 12 to 0 was a bloody good effort. We lost our bench and decided to slow the game down which is what most good sides would have done. Hawthorn vs Sydney yesterday was the worst game I have seen for a while but the swans did what they had to do.

LostDoggy
10-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Last week was more crap to me. Turnovers galore, no pressure, we missed easier shots and we couldn't stop a team we should have beaten.

southerncross
10-06-2007, 09:22 AM
It was ugly but so are the Swans at times. Not our fault that the Lions simply allowed it.

BulldogBelle
10-06-2007, 11:59 AM
It was ugly but so are the Swans at times. Not our fault that the Lions simply allowed it.

Exactly, the Lions should have manned up.

W W Biscuit
10-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Last week was more crap to me. Turnovers galore, no pressure, we missed easier shots and we couldn't stop a team we should have beaten.

Agree. Our losses this year - with the exception of the West Coast game, have been typified by some unbelievably poor decision making and disposal errors. At least we looked 'on the job' last night, and our disposal was pretty sharp.

Brisbane looked flat and surprisingly uncommitted at times - give us an opponent like that and we will romp over them (as would most teams!). What we really need is to guts out a win against a team that works their backside off to close us down - like Geelong did today versus Adelaide.

bornadog
10-06-2007, 05:24 PM
At least we looked 'on the job' last night, and our disposal was pretty sharp.

Unfortunatelty with virtually no one on the bench and Brisbane flooding back, we decided to chip the ball around the backline and not risk the game. But agree we looked sharp and the disposal was way better than it has been. The only thing I didn't like was we bombed the ball into the forward line a few times when Johhn was again playing from behind.

bornadog
10-06-2007, 05:26 PM

Agree, the third quarter last week, we turned over the ball four times in a row and each time Carlton kicked a goal and then they got their momentum up. We could have easily put them away in the last quarter but misses to Cross, Cooney didn't help.

LostDoggy
10-06-2007, 06:31 PM
What really gives me the irites is how we controlled the tempo in important stages of the match but a week early we let Carlton dictate terms.

GVGjr
10-06-2007, 08:25 PM
What really gives me the irites is how we controlled the tempo in important stages of the match but a week early we let Carlton dictate terms.

I noticed that as well. The Blues executed their game plan well and we had a bad lapse that cost us the game.

Bulldog Revolution
10-06-2007, 09:47 PM

Hopefully Ernie that means the lesson was learnt against Carlton - I think Eade will have been very clear in his assessment of that performance with the playing group.

I watched both the VFL and AFL games and I think there was noticable improvement in our intensity in both games. In the VFL the Bulldogs players looked to lead by example in providing the intensity and team focus.

I thought it was an excellent performance last night at the Gabba, in the context of injuries to Cross, Griffen and Murphy (that really saw them able to have little influence on the match) - and with Eagle and Ray colliding heavily.

Street continued his fine form, whilst Harris, Gilbee, Morris, Hargraves held the backline together. Terrific performances from youngsters Tommy W and Harbrow - boy Jarred can tackle. Plus I thought Addison and Higgins did more work up the ground and were solid contributors. Johnson was very good up forward, Aker was good and Hahn showed signs he was getting back up to speed. Midfielders Boyd, West and Gia worked really hard. Ray seemed to spend time as a rebounding defender and I liked the look of him in that role.

Many positives for my money

alwaysadog
11-06-2007, 10:18 PM
I didn't think it was a crap game at all. It might have lacked highlights but it had vast significance for both sides in lots of ways. Brizzie got a couple early but it soon became clear that our speed, pressure and skill were superior and we were well on top but injuries cut us back and Brizzie gave up trying to initiate and dropped numbers back trying to get us on the rebound through turnovers that left too many of our players in front of the ball.

If Brizzie were determined to clog up every avenue to goal then we weren't going to play into their hands and without Griffen breaking the lines and doing the unexpected we were short of inspiration and without Crossie we lacked pack control.

Early in the season we just kept trying to handball through the trap but we have learned. If you've got a lead and they paly that way them make them come at you and thta's what we did. I was at the Gabba and found it an enthralling contest from our point of view. On top of that our younger players got plenty of time and all did well.

Dry Rot
11-06-2007, 10:23 PM
I think I was spoilt watching Dons v eagles the night before.