PDA

View Full Version : Do we need to get this NAB GF out of our system?

mighty_west
06-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Is it just me, but alot of supporters seem to have compromised their passions for the club, with this upcoming NAB GRAND FINAL.............

Yep, you heard me right!

FOOTSCRAY, Doggies, Western Bulldogs.................IN A GRAND FINAL!

Do we secretly hope like hell that we win this damn thing, then get on with the season proper, there seems to be this stigma of not being too excited about winning a NAB Cup, yet, in 40 years, we haven't even bloody made ANY Grand Final of any sorts.

I don't know about anyone else, but i admit to being very nervous with 2 minutes left on the clock, and Port being ahead on the scoreboard...and yet another "second last" final pissed down the gurgler...ok, it's not the big prize, but it's a prize none the less, and with a success starved club like we have, not too many of us here have ever seen us play in a Grand Final, let alone win one, unless off course you were passionate for the club in their VFA days in the late 1800's & 1900's, and perhaps witnessed this club as being one of success, and seeing us win 9 Premierships.

That final big grab by our big recruit, was like something we have never seen at our club, a big power forward just launch himself, in the past, that would have been a punch away and run out by their defenders......not this time.....and this time we made it, and lets make the most of it i say.

But the way i see things, is that with a success starved club like we have, we need as much experience with these big games as possible, supporters seem to be divided between hoping like mad we win this thing, and only caring for round 1, i hope we do win it, i want as much silverware as possible, and couldn;t give a rats ass how small that silverware is, i want us to have a winning mentality everytime, and never compromise anything.

I want us to walk off Etihad or Subi as winners, and not with our tail between our legs.....AGAIN!

We wanted to win last night, make no mistake, flooding the backline with a minute left!

AndrewP6
06-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Good call, MW... let's win the bloody thing!

GVGjr
06-03-2010, 02:44 PM
We don't need to win this but the unprecedented media attention would follow plus the amount of members this might drag out to sign up would be a huge boost for the club.
The prize money would be more than handy as well I would have thought.

Can we stand all the attention that would follow?

LostDoggy
06-03-2010, 02:47 PM
I'd like us to win, but couldn't care less if we lost. I want us to win it when it matters.

EasternWest
06-03-2010, 02:53 PM
I'd like us to win, but couldn't care less if we lost. I want us to win it when it matters.

I don't think I couldn't care less if we lost, but I understand where arkie is coming from.

As for your question MW, yes, I want to win.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-03-2010, 02:58 PM
We don't need to win this but the unprecedented media attention would follow plus the amount of members this might drag out to sign up would be a huge boost for the club.
The prize money would be more than handy as well I would have thought.

I think the situation is another great test for the playing group, both in terms of media and fan scrutiny and expectations, as well as the pressure of a GF (regardless that it is only a pre-season GF).

For a larger more successful club with GF wins, this probably wouldn't mean as much if at all, but for us a win would I think propel the belief amongst the group for the season ahead.

I really hope we face the Saints, and the scrutiny and attention is heightened some more. These are the sort of preliminary tests the group need to face and stare down.

LostDoggy
06-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Now we've come this far I want it bad. The media attention to follow will be hard at first but lets put everything we've got on the line and take out this shiny silver cup and everything that comes with it. It's a pre-season premiership and you can say all you want about what history tells us, with Carlton in 07..but look at Geelong last year, its not a burden but a stepping stone to what could be an amazing year.

Before I Die
06-03-2010, 03:17 PM
We don't need to win this but

I have been pondering this and have found that since the siren sounded last night, I have changed my opinion. I am not sure if 'need' is the right word, but I really, really , really want to win this. Even more than round 1 of the season proper (which I also want to win).

I normally stay quite relaxed and generally confident at the footy (unless we are being slaughtered). Last night with 2 minutes to go that was not the case. I had given up, I was depressed and morose. Apart from the Bob Rose Cup or E. J. Whitten Trophy I have never seem my club win anything other than 4 points or an early round final. Not even the McClelland Trophy for finishing on top of the ladder, and I have been following the side for the best part of 50 years. Sorry, I lie, I have seen wooden spoons won and I can just vaguely remember 1970, though to be completely honest, that competition was effectively a losers only competition for sides that didn't make the regular season finals. If it was played the same way now, Richmond would have won 10 of the last 12

I could have kissed Big Bad Barry last night. I will feel the same affection for Ross Lyon if he goes all out for the win and keeps next week's GF in Melbourne. I don't want to compromise our season, I don't want to play injured or underdone players and I don't want players injured during the game to stay on the field and risk further injury. What I do want is to pick the best side available, have the players give a 110% and I want to watch us win, win, win, win.

Dry Rot
06-03-2010, 03:18 PM
For me last night was a kind of a pressure game and one we should have put away but again looked like it would slip through our fingers.

I hope next week has a similar ending - I want the team to get used to winning these, not having yet another heroic defeat.

That's the significance for me, not the title or the silverware.

Dry Rot
06-03-2010, 03:19 PM
I could have kissed Big Bad Barry last night.

You like big bald tatooed men? ;)

Before I Die
06-03-2010, 03:23 PM
You like big bald tatooed men? ;)

No........., but I was very, very, very happy.

If we win the big one in September I will kiss anyone and everyone who is up for it. :eek:

LostDoggy
06-03-2010, 03:27 PM
I want to win.

I do as well, a winning culture is a good culture.

mighty_west
06-03-2010, 03:51 PM

What about the attention of us losing another final?

The Pie Man
06-03-2010, 04:05 PM

Nah, as long as we don't get killed, playing in the NC GF is win/win for me. I experienced similar emotions with 2 minutes left last night re: losing get another final to get into a GF, was a huge relief to see the big man take that grab & get us home - the attention would've been on us for losing last night I feel.

Would now love to win it, but it will be another high intensity pre-season hit out that Eade will be keen on. A 10 goal loss wouldn't be ideal, but at least we know can actually win a final to get into a GF

strebla
06-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Oh I want to win and win bad this is a chance to get the monkey off our back if only in the NAB cup a winning culture is what it is all about look at the Hawks of the Eighties ans nineties

KT31
06-03-2010, 04:35 PM

If we play the Saints it could be a preview of the main GF.
Therefore a win IMO would give us a little bit of ascendancy over them.
Especially in the tight clinches, us knowing we can win and the Saints panicking about history repeating itself.

bornadog
06-03-2010, 04:48 PM
I love to see the doggies win any game, whether its a practise match, a game in the season proper or an exhibition match.

At the end of the day, we win, there are a couple of very good benefits:

* Great for the players confidence.
* A financial windfall with some prize money
* More members getting on board
* A Great preseason start for the club.
* Instill some fear into our other 15 opponents
* A great all round winning feeling
* Beating the Saints.

AndrewP6
06-03-2010, 04:53 PM

This is different, we made it to the GF....

chef
06-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Good call, MW... let's win the bloody thing!

Yep, it's been a long time coming.

LostDoggy
06-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Yep, it's been a long time coming.

I hope we play the Saints and I hope we stick it up them!

LostDoggy
06-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Are we going to play our best side and employ our best tactics? Are they? I would be more interested in finding out about our players under pressure and learning more about the Saints style this year (if we play them), and the areas we need to improve in. Who ever remembers winning a NAB cup? No bragging rights there! Whilst I would like the money for winning and the feel good factor for long suffering supporters, I think it is a long season and for me, the only match that counts right now is being absolutely ready for the Magpies. If we don't win that, the NAB cup will count for nothing. Winning early games is desirable if we are serious about setting ourselves up for a tilt at the flag and if we are to more successfully manage our list later on.

Hotdog60
06-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I want Sk.Kilda to win tonight and I want them next week to field there best side possible.

Next I want St.kilda to throw everything they have at us and the topping on the cake will be for the Dogs to take it all in their stride and beat them convincingly by 30 odd points and at the end of the game.....

Shake hands and look them straight in the eyes and say....

Bring on September...:D

Go Doggies.........

Remi Moses
07-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Wonder if the German diver is going to play? Like a win [no wrist slashing if we lose] no injuries thankyou;)

The Bulldogs Bite
07-03-2010, 01:14 AM
I'd expect Hudson, Giansiracusa and Johnson to play.

Anybody want to guess exclusions?

Roughead, Mulligan and Addison?

Will we rest any senior players? (Hahn and Cross spring to mind).

comrade
07-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Whilst he ran the game out, Harbrow copped a knock to his knee. Considering he's had some earlier issues during the pre-season, he might be a good candidate for a rest and freshen up.

Mulligan and Roughead would be the other obvious omissions.

AndrewP6
07-03-2010, 01:52 AM
Roughy, Mulligan (and Harbrow if he took a knock to his knee)

mighty_west
07-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Whilst he ran the game out, Harbrow copped a knock to his knee. Considering he's had some earlier issues during the pre-season, he might be a good candidate for a rest and freshen up.

I had a little bit if a gasp when he landed after trying to take that spekky, and held his knee, then hobbling off the ground, fortunatly he was up running along the boundary and back on the field.

You would imagine he'd pull up a bit sore today.

chef
07-03-2010, 07:54 AM
I'd expect Hudson, Giansiracusa and Johnson to play.

Anybody want to guess exclusions?

Roughead, Mulligan and Addison?

Will we rest any senior players? (Hahn and Cross spring to mind).

Roughead, Mulligan and Addison/Wood(depending on how Gilbee and Harbrow pull up)

Hopefully we use this game as a dress rehearsal for round 1 and play our best 26 players. There's going to be a lot of pressure trying to stay in our best 22.

chef
07-03-2010, 07:56 AM

Gilbee was also appeared to hurt his shoulder, but played out the game.

LostDoggy
07-03-2010, 09:53 AM
I think we need to beat StKilda to gain a psychological advantage during the season proper. We should throw everything at them. Belief is also a factor for me. Win this and hopefully next prelim or granny we may have instilled some belief by winning this.

LostDoggy
07-03-2010, 06:03 PM
For me last night was a kind of a pressure game and one we should have put away but again looked like it would slip through our fingers.

I hope next week has a similar ending - I want the team to get used to winning these, not having yet another heroic defeat.

That's the significance for me, not the title or the silverware.

Agree DR.

Just sick of seeing us lose 'semi finals' and finally having the fortitude to win through to the last game.

Was also glad it was close and that our players came through in the end.

Will be a good mental boost for the players I think.

LostDoggy
07-03-2010, 06:43 PM
I love to see the doggies win any game, whether its a practise match, a game in the season proper or an exhibition match.

At the end of the day, we win, there are a couple of very good benefits:

* Great for the players confidence.
* A financial windfall with some prize money
* More members getting on board
* A Great preseason start for the club.
* Instill some fear into our other 15 opponents
* A great all round winning feeling
* Beating the Saints.

I think this is most important factor here and the two things we have
going for us is Barry and Willo!

Bulldogs by 22 points

Bumper Bulldogs
07-03-2010, 09:52 PM
I have to say that I was pumped last night to finally get into a Grand Final, Yes even in the who care cup.

The issue I have is that I think we cant afford to lose for a couple of reasons,

1. The boys have been training for 4 months now and if they are not ready to go now what will be the difference in round one,
2. With Big Barry down forward, a lose would say we haven't improved on last September.
3. Our guys would feel unbeatable for round one and give them a bigger motivation for the season proper.
4. Membership and any future sponsorship deals would become healthier.
5. The boys could have a huge end of year trip with the winnings.
6. I think a loss will hurt ether side that does get over the line. The NAB cup is really practice match stuff, but when your in the last week like we are you would basically play your best side anyway.

Tommy will run back into form playing on Kosi who is out of sorts, Morris to flog Roo and I like shaggy on The Rat, At the other end Zack will get flogged by Big bag Barry and i would play Addison as a tagger on Gram.

Outs - Mulligan, Roughy, Wood
In - Huddo, Gia & Jonno

1eyedog
08-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Sorry may have been posted already. Is there still the chance to win both NAB and Premiership Season Grand Finals for a million bucks? Good incentive to boost the coffers.