PDA

View Full Version : Big storm down there?

Dry Rot
06-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Been reading current reports of a nasty hailstorm in Melbourne which has damaged Ethiad Stadium. Talk of calling off the game tonight.

Anyone else heard this?

AndrewP6
06-03-2010, 06:14 PM
My mum rang me to tell me, but where I am, it hasn't been that bad. Rained a lot, thunder, couple of lightning flashes, but not the extent of what has been reported.

If the game's called off, do we get a walkover? ;)

comrade
06-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Been reading current reports of a nasty hailstorm in Melbourne which has damaged Ethiad Stadium. Talk of calling off the game tonight.

Anyone else heard this?

Yeah, most of Melbourne (particularly metro) has experienced flooding. I've seen photos of Southern Cross Station flooded, with water gushing from the roof.

Reading on BF (and take it with the required grain of salt), they may play the game tonight but not let anyone in to watch it.

Dry Rot
06-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Yeah, most of Melbourne (particularly metro) has experienced flooding. I've seen photos of Southern Cross Station flooded, with water gushing from the roof.

Reading on BF (and take it with the required grain of salt), they may play the game tonight but not let anyone in to watch it.

Pics I've seen of both the hail and the flooding are amazing.

Topdog
06-03-2010, 06:19 PM
city rd in southbank

http://i47.tinypic.com/20r78up.jpg

soutern cross station.

http://i50.tinypic.com/juvokw.jpg

It is nuts!!

RE: tonights game.

Reports of damage started flooding in from across the city, including caved-in roofs. Early reports were that Etihad Stadium's roof had partially collapsed.

Bill Lane, from Etihad Stadium, said management was "assessing the situation" with AFL on whether tonight's blockbuster NAB Cup game between St Kilda and Fremantle would go ahead.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/huge-hailstorm-strikes-melbourne/story-e6frf7jo-1225837662827

AndrewP6
06-03-2010, 06:30 PM
[QUOTE=Topdog;139656]

soutern cross station.

http://i50.tinypic.com/juvokw.jpg

It is nuts!!

WOW, that is nuts!

EasternWest
06-03-2010, 06:32 PM
My mum rang me to tell me, but where I am, it hasn't been that bad. Rained a lot, thunder, couple of lightning flashes, but not the extent of what has been reported.

If the game's called off, do we get a walkover? ;)

You mustn't live near Upwey Andrew.

My roof's been smashed in a few places, two skylights are now skyrooves (great for washing your floors the natural way) and there's 1 (one) panel on my car not damaged.

So, good day all in all!

Dry Rot
06-03-2010, 06:33 PM
If the game is called off, then I have read Freo proceeds to the final FWIW.

Can't see the players and coaching staff getting to the ground through all that.

Topdog
06-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Kings way is flooded aswell. Swanston st is backed up to the Shrine of remembrance.

It will be very hard for any game to be played tonight.

AndrewP6
06-03-2010, 06:43 PM

My roof's been smashed in a few places, two skylights are now skyrooves (great for washing your floors the natural way) and there's 1 (one) panel on my car not damaged.

So, good day all in all!

Nope, Hampton Park.

Ouch, sorry to hear about the damage...

We might cop worse later on, but thus far, have been OK.

EasternWest
06-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Nope, Hampton Park.
Ouch, sorry to hear about the damage...
We might cop worse later on, but thus far, have been OK.

Oh well, a bit of damage I can live with! I'm just glad myself, partner or dog didn't get hit by any hail stones. I've got a photo of two in my hand and I kid you not they are literally golf ball size.

Will be interesting to see what they do about the footy.

Go_Dogs
06-03-2010, 06:51 PM

So, good day all in all!

Geez... You guys in Victoria have had a fair go with the extreme weather over the last 12 months or so!!

EasternWest
06-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Geez... You guys in Victoria have had a fair go with the extreme weather over the last 12 months or so!!

True, though I'll take a bit of storm damage over the disaster in Feb 09 due to the heat.

Sometimes we've got to remind ourselves that things could always be worse.;)

AndrewP6
06-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Just checked out a slideshow of images from The Age website...reports of severe flooding are spot on! Incredible...

hujsh
06-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Apparently there's baseball size hail in the East.

LostDoggy
06-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Not to bad out Werribee way.

The Coon Dog
06-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Not to bad out Werribee way.

No, we just got the thunderclap from hell earlier, frightened the byjesus out of all in our house.

LostDoggy
06-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Game delayed until 7.30
Level 2 Completely closed off..

LostDoggy
06-03-2010, 08:17 PM
No, we just got the thunderclap from hell earlier, frightened the byjesus out of all in our house.

You live in Werribee mate?

The Coon Dog
06-03-2010, 08:21 PM
You live in Werribee mate?

Yup.

LostDoggy
06-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Yup.

Learn something new everyday :)

LostDoggy
06-03-2010, 09:43 PM
3gHvszYnUTo

LostDoggy
06-03-2010, 09:44 PM
http://twitpic.com/16vw8i
http://twitpic.com/16vvxh
http://twitpic.com/16vd2c
http://twitpic.com/16vkst
http://twitpic.com/16ve09
http://img94.yfrog.com/i/mnc.mp4/
http://twitpic.com/16vjck

cinder
06-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Crikey!!!!

Remi Moses
06-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Probably the first time ever I've been happy to have a 4 wheel drive. travelled out just as the storm started and Gordon st Footscray was a virtual torrent Geelong rd under the bridge was an absolute river. Came home to find we only got 10mils of rain in Williamstown:confused:

The Underdog
07-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Oh well, a bit of damage I can live with! I'm just glad myself, partner or dog didn't get hit by any hail stones. I've got a photo of two in my hand and I kid you not they are literally golf ball size.

Will be interesting to see what they do about the footy.

I was at my folks in Upwey, it was like people were throwing cricket balls at the house. I lost a car windscreen. Looks like tomorrow will be spent waiting for a replacement.

LostDoggy
07-03-2010, 02:35 AM
Probably the first time ever I've been happy to have a 4 wheel drive. travelled out just as the storm started and Gordon st Footscray was a virtual torrent Geelong rd under the bridge was an absolute river.

I went past there(wel the backway behind the Whitten Oval) about 4.50pm(on my way tothe saints freo game) and there was noway people could drive through it....the water was so high it wasnt funny....i swear there was a car there and the water was up near the roof....

I also made the mistake of going down Dynon Rd..big mistake that was.....pictures do nothing to show bad it was...

What a crazy crazy day....

Flamethrower
07-03-2010, 12:45 PM
The whole area between Footscray and the City seemed to be the worst hit, with North Melbourne, the Docklands and Parkville the epicentre.

Dynon Road always floods near the river, as does Dudley Street next to Festival Hall. Flooding was almost 2 metres deep around the Lost Dogs Home and the old North Melbourne Football Ground. There were massive chunks of ice/hail all over the road next to Etihad - no wonder part of the roof collapsed.

South Melbourne was under water too- cars couldn't get off the Westgate anywhere heading east - Kings Way, Power Street/City Road, and the tunnels were all flooded. The city was under water too.

It reminded me of the movie "The Day After Tomorrow", when NYC was first covered in water and then ice.

Remi Moses
07-03-2010, 10:32 PM
I went past there(wel the backway behind the Whitten Oval) about 4.50pm(on my way tothe saints freo game) and there was noway people could drive through it....the water was so high it wasnt funny....i swear there was a car there and the water was up near the roof....

I also made the mistake of going down Dynon Rd..big mistake that was.....pictures do nothing to show bad it was...

What a crazy crazy day....

It somehow missed the South West parts but belted the North West of Melbourne. Gordon st under the Geelong rd bridge was still closed today.

LostDoggy
07-03-2010, 11:32 PM
It somehow missed the South West parts but belted the North West of Melbourne. Gordon st under the Geelong rd bridge was still closed today.

That doesnt suprise me one little bit....there was so much water there yesterday, wouldnt be suprised if it was still closed tomorrow....

Also wouldnt be suprised if Lloyd st was closed at Dynon Rd..was a complete mess there....ive only ever copped it flodded on one side of the rd, when you are going back to Footscray from the City.....but the side of the rd that goes to the city was flooded way more......The pictures i took of it dont show how bad it was....

westdog54
07-03-2010, 11:36 PM
I worked in the city last night. Flinders Street was like nothing I've ever seen before. The rain flowed east down from Spencer Street, then hung a left and flowed south down King back toward Flinders Street. The intersection didn't open until close to 10pm. Anywhere you tried to drive into the city from was a nightmare.

The Waterside Hotel (and anything else West of Market Street) copped some pretty decent flooding, the drains still hadn't caught up until about 11pm.

Moomba festivities were called off tonight at 9pm due to the rain.

Twodogs
08-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Gordon st Footscray was a virtual torrent Geelong rd under the bridge was an absolute river.

I live just around the corner from there but me and the kids were at Highpoint and I think that Maribyrnong was the worst hit suburb. We watched the show through the glass roofs they have there and it was spectacular! Then we got home and it looked like a bomb had hit our street-there was stuff floating down the street, trees were pulled from their roots and some houses had smashed windows and roof damage.

My place wasnt damaged thankfuly.

dog town
08-03-2010, 11:39 AM
I was at the races in Flemington when the storm hit. Luckily I was in the members and watched from comfort inside as the crowds went screaming for cover. Couldn't believe they allowed Future Music Festival to go ahead yesterday. When I left Flemington on saturday it was completely submerged, it just could not have been safe.

Dazza
08-03-2010, 07:28 PM
I happened to be playing golf in Holmesglen when the storm came. I was stuck under a tiny little bus stop like shelter while golf sized hail pelted down. Was quite a surreal experience. I wish I had a camera with me because the whole course was white and it was letting off alot of steam. Looked like another planet for a while.

chef
08-03-2010, 07:31 PM
A big storm made it up here too, with Shepp/Mooroopna being hit hard.

G-Mo77
08-03-2010, 08:15 PM
I almost turned around when I was driving down to the game on Friday fortunatly I had the miss's work car rather than my little Yaris or I may have been swept off the road. Bendigo got it's fair share of rain that day/night. We didn't get anything like what Melbourne got hit with Saturday however.

flynny
09-03-2010, 04:43 AM
I was on the roof in pouring rain after the tarp (attempting to cover a garage load of items) sprung a big leak. Was completely drenched within seconds of being out there. Haven't seen rain like it in years. And I'm south of Melb where reports stated we'd missed the "core".