PDA

View Full Version : Barry Hall and the Coleman

ledge
07-03-2010, 01:41 PM
I was talking to a friend the other day,(Bombers supporter) and he made a good point, being a bit of a gambler he pointed out Hall was $21 to win the Coleman.
I was quite dismissive until he bought up the point well who else is going to be up there?

Franklin, apparently is going to play up the field more this year.
Fev has now got JB to contend with and early on its not looking like he will kick a lot.
Richo has retired, so who else is a contender?

Even though Eade has said Hall wont be our major focal point and the Nab cup is only the NAB cup.
Hall has in all honesty had the chance to kick probably 15 goals in 2 games, and not played all quarters.

He is now playing in an open forward line and better delivery than at Sydney.

Not a bad bet this early in the year I would think.

LongWait
07-03-2010, 02:17 PM
On Friday night while repeatedly watching the excellent delivery into Hall, I realised that in 2010 Barry may well get as many shots on goal as anyone in the competition - provided he stays on the park. I'm not suggesting he will win the Coleman, only that he certainly could be well in the mix.

LostDoggy
07-03-2010, 02:25 PM
His odds shot down after his 6 goals against Hawthorn and hes currently only $9 on sportsbet..

I think Fev will be up there but sharing the load with Brown..doesnt mean he cant win it, we saw Roughie still kick a bag when Franklin got the 100. Id still say Franklin to get the Coleman right now if I had to pick anyone..

I think Le Cras @ $26 is a good outsider, if he gets the delivery he could be right up there..he did very well last year when eagles finished what, 11th? He kicked 57. If they make the 8 (which some think they will including myself) he could supply 50-60% of their goals.

angelopetraglia
07-03-2010, 02:52 PM
They are also betting this year over/under (i.e. will a player kick X amount of goals in the season).

The line for B. Hall was 55.5 goals first posted at $1.90, it is probably shorter now. Update: Now at 1.83 for over and 1.97 for under.

Fevola's line is 80.5 goals. I would not mind taking unders for that.

Go_Dogs
07-03-2010, 04:59 PM
His odds shot down after his 6 goals against Hawthorn and hes currently only $9 on sportsbet..

Boy, his odds have come in a lot. I'm still tempted to have a bit of a splurge on him.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Barry for sure should win the coleman, The other to watch will be Mark Williams at Essendon.

He was Hawthorns leading goal kicker prior to the twin towers and as Essendon have no one else with talent he could be the smokey. ;)

Twodogs
08-03-2010, 12:07 PM
I think Le Cras @ $26 is a good outsider, if he gets the delivery he could be right up there..he did very well last year when eagles finished what, 11th? He kicked 57. If they make the 8 (which some think they will including myself) he could supply 50-60% of their goals.

That's a big percentage for one player to kick. I cant be arsed doing looking up the stats but I'd reckon that no club that has made finals in the last couple of years has relied on one player to kick more than 30-40% of their goals.

Twodogs
08-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Franklin, apparently is going to play up the field more this year.
Fev has now got JB to contend with and early on its not looking like he will kick a lot.
Richo has retired, so who else is a contender?

Bradshaw, Tippet, Riewoldt, Roughead, LeCras, Pavlich, Hawkins, Anthony could all win the Coleman.

comrade
08-03-2010, 12:17 PM
That's a big percentage for one player to kick. I cant be arsed doing looking up the stats but I'd reckon that no club that has made finals in the last couple of years has relied on one player to kick more than 30-40% of their goals.

Fev kicked 26% of Carlton's goals last year (89 of 348).

Mantis
08-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Bradshaw, Tippet, Riewoldt, Roughead, LeCras, Pavlich, Hawkins, Anthony could all win the Coleman.

No they couldn't.

From that list I would say that only Roughead & Riewoldt would be capable of kicking the 80+ goals required to win the Coleman.

strebla
08-03-2010, 12:29 PM

You can't be serious here there are some good players there but really Anthony,Hawkins and LeCrai wouldn't think so

Twodogs
08-03-2010, 12:35 PM
No they couldn't.

From that list I would say that only Roughead & Riewoldt would be capable of kicking the 80+ goals required to win the Coleman.

-Hawkins has been improving over the last 12 months and this could be his breakout year

-Collingwood seemed dertimined to direct all their forward forays through Anthony (or at least they do when they play us)

-Bradshaw may struggle with the Swan's midfield shinning the ball to him after zigzagging their way up the field but he gets to play half his game at the SCG where he can have shots from the centre square and land them 5 rows back

-Tippett will be a superstar very soon and will kick goals for fun-this might be the year that happens.

-LeCras has improved his game exponentially each season for the last few years.

-Pavlich is a quality KP. Him kicking 80-100 wouldnt suprise me, now that he has some mids delivering to him who can actually kick properly

I also left Josh Kennedy from West Coast off the list. The kid plays CHF but still kicks bags. All he needs to do is start doing it consistantly.

Twodogs
08-03-2010, 12:37 PM
^^^^^^^^

You can't be serious here there are some good players there but really Anthony,Hawkins and LeCrai wouldn't think so

Anything can happen. We dont know what other club's are planning in terms of gameplans and players come good all of a sudden. It's not impossible that any of those guys could win.

Twodogs
08-03-2010, 12:54 PM
A list of Coleman medalists you may not of heard of and the players they 'beat' to the medal;

Year Winner Team Goals

1999 Scott Cummings West Coast 88, Lloyd, Lockett

1966 Ted Fordham Hawthorn 73 Wade, McKenna

Plus a few you might never had heard of. Anything can happen.

1961 Tom Carroll Carlton 54
1960 Ron Evans Essendon 67
1959 Ron Evans Essendon 78
1958 Ian Brewer Collingwood 67

1956 Bill Young St Kilda 56

LostDoggy
08-03-2010, 12:59 PM

Yeah maybe an over exaggeration, 30-40% more likely :)

Before I Die
08-03-2010, 01:03 PM
A list of Coleman medalists you may not of heard of and the players they 'beat' to the medal;

Year Winner Team Goals

Pretty sure Ted Fordham played for Essendon. However, this does not distract from the point of your post.

Twodogs
08-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Pretty sure Ted Fordham played for Essendon. However, this does not distract from the point of your post.

Correct. I cut and pasted it from another site and must have pressed the 'delete' button for a bit to long when I was wiping the players from he years I didnt want.

The Adelaide Connection
08-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Does anyone else have the feeling that this might be the year when fewer goals wins the Coleman? I am predicting somewhere around 70 goals to be enough.

With Fev/Brown sharing the load I think that realistically it could be a Roughead, Le Cras, Tippet or Hall that gets up.

I think it is ridiculous that Franklin is the favourite. He is quality as we know, but clearly plays further up the ground now and seems he has had his impact cut a little since the '08 final (teams really doing their research?). He will kick a few bags, but finish around 40-50 for mine.

Le Cras is an interesting one because he started and ended the year well, but had a bit of a lousy patch in the middle. If West Coast can go on to win a few more games I have a feeling that he will add another 20 to last years tally. Might be worth a $10 bet.

Topdog
08-03-2010, 03:03 PM

Year Winner Team Goals

Lockett missed a few games that year otherwise he would have won it. So in the past 11 years 1 outsider has won it.

Of the list you provided

Bradshaw, Tippet, Riewoldt, Roughead, LeCras, Pavlich, Hawkins, Anthony

Bradshaw - slight chance of winning it but will need to stay healthy and hope that Sydney get forward a bit more.
Tippet - would need to play up forward more and be the only focal point for Adelaide. Are they still thinking Walker is a good option?
Riewoldt - He is a big chance and will win it if he improves his kicking.
Roughead - another one with a chance
LeCras - no hope. Had a break out year last year and only got 50 whilst kicking very very straight.
Pavlich - A chance but really anyone having a guess with what Freo will do is purely a guess.
Hawkins - Would nearly need to triple his output to get the Coleman....I don't think so.
Anthony - No chance, is quite simply not good enough and with Fraser spending more time down there it will cut his chances.

BBBH is a chance but he would need to not get suspended. Personally think Brown will win it, with St.Nick coming 2nd.

Twodogs
08-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Lockett missed a few games that year otherwise he would have won it. So in the past 11 years 1 outsider has won it.

My dad has a saying when I'm whinging about useless jockeys and the slow horses I tend to back-"and if the horse hadnt stopped for a shit it would have won the race". In other words it doesnt matter that Lockett was injured. He didnt win the Coleman that year and that's all she wrote. Any of the guns could miss a heap of footy this year that's the nature of the beast.

Did anyone expect John Lomgmire to beat Dunstall and Lockett for the Coleman in 1990? I'll bet if we had this conversation at the start of 1990 all the talk would have been about the other two and Longmire wouldnt have got a mention..

Dunstall was the fat kid that we all laughed at when Ricky Kennedy pushed him over and literally trod him into the VFL Park turf the first any Footscray supporter saw him play in 1985. I wouldnt have given you 20 cents for his chances but he was Hawthorn's leading goalkicker from 1986 until he retired and was the best full forward I ever saw.

Personally think Brown will win it, with St.Nick coming 2nd.

I tend to agree also Fev is a huge chance and so is BBB. My point is that anything can happen so saying X player will never be able to do such and such or so and so will certainly do something is impossible because nothing is certain in this game.

Hawthorn were odds on to win the flag this time last year and didnt make the 8.

AndrewP6
27-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Bump.

The Dogs' website currently has their weekly poll asking "Can Barry Hall win the Coleman Medal?"....

LostDoggy
27-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Bump.

The Dogs' website currently has their weekly poll asking "Can Barry Hall win the Coleman Medal?"....

Well, I'll bite - can he????? ;)

AndrewP6
27-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Well, I'll bite - can he????? ;)

Well bitten! I'm gonna take a punt and say yes (that's what I voted!)... it is a long season, as everyone knows, but he's going along really well ATM... poll results when I voted were 85% said yes.

Mofra
28-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Bradshaw has to be a real chance too. Age and experience tends to beat youth and exuberence.

Mantis
28-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Bradshaw has to be a real chance too. Age and experience tends to beat youth and exuberence.

Not sure how that is relevant in this discussion considering the main chances for the Coleman are all seasoned performers.

Mofra
28-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Not sure how that is relevant in this discussion considering the main chances for the Coleman are all seasoned performers.
Then it is extremely relevant than, isn't it? That's the point.

Topdog
28-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Bradshaw - slight chance of winning it but will need to stay healthy and hope that Sydney get forward a bit more.
Tippet - would need to play up forward more and be the only focal point for Adelaide. Are they still thinking Walker is a good option?
Riewoldt - He is a big chance and will win it if he improves his kicking.
Roughead - another one with a chance
LeCras - no hope. Had a break out year last year and only got 50 whilst kicking very very straight.
Pavlich - A chance but really anyone having a guess with what Freo will do is purely a guess.
Hawkins - Would nearly need to triple his output to get the Coleman....I don't think so.
Anthony - No chance, is quite simply not good enough and with Fraser spending more time down there it will cut his chances.

BBBH is a chance but he would need to not get suspended. Personally think Brown will win it, with St.Nick coming 2nd.

Of this list we are down to 3 left. Brown, Bradshaw and Pavlich IMO. Gee Tippett has been disappointing.

The Pie Man
28-04-2010, 03:36 PM
He's on track to kick 80+ this year.

Two things - not sure if 80 + will win it this year, and not sure he'll actually kick that many goals.

Mofra
28-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Of this list we are down to 3 left. Brown, Bradshaw and Pavlich IMO. Gee Tippett has been disappointing.
Brown playing under duress will hurt his chances.

LostDoggy
28-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Brown playing under duress will hurt his chances.

Is that Fev's new nickname?

BulldogBelle
28-04-2010, 07:31 PM
What will it mean though, to the team, if Barry does win the Coleman?? To me, it means Barry hasn't done the job he was recruited to do, and rest of the forward line aren't pulling there weight.

I'd rather Barry kicks 50 and we win the flag, with Hahn, Johnson, Murphy, Ackermanis and Higgins all kicking 40ish, than Barry kicking 80, winning the Coleman, and we finish 5th.

hujsh
28-04-2010, 07:36 PM
What will it mean though, to the team, if Barry does win the Coleman?? To me, it means Barry hasn't done the job he was recruited to do, and rest of the forward line aren't pulling there weight.

I'd rather Barry kicks 50 and we win the flag, with Hahn, Johnson, Murphy, Ackermanis and Higgins all kicking 40ish, than Barry kicking 80, winning the Coleman, and we finish 5th.

Agree with the sentiment but I think you'd have to change that 40 down to a 30 to be a reasonable target.

ledge
28-04-2010, 08:44 PM
I think if Barry wins the Coleman we win the flag.
I want both!

AndrewP6
08-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Bump.

Just noticed Bazza is on 37 goals, six more than at the same stage last year. Something else happened at the same stage last year too... ;) let's hope he's got some more goals left in him!

LostDoggy
09-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Bump.

Just noticed Bazza is on 37 goals, six more than at the same stage last year. Something else happened at the same stage last year too... ;) let's hope he's got some more goals left in him!

AND he's playing against Staker again! :eek: