PDA

View Full Version : I love Harbrow

Dry Rot
10-06-2007, 12:33 AM
One of the few shining lights for us tonight IMO - hasn't put a foot wrong. Has better vision and option taking than many of his senior team mates, IMO.

dog town
10-06-2007, 08:57 AM
I couldn't believe people were not saying this after his first couple of games. Had an extremely impressive start to his career. I thought one of his early contests was telling in terms of how switched on the group was. The ball came in from the kick in and looked liek it would get swept down field but Harbrow closed 5 metres on his opponent while the ball was in the air knocked his opponent to ground and ran away with the ball.

Just love the way he finds space out of traffic. Put on plenty of defensive pressure as well with 5 tackles.

Go_Dogs
10-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Wish I'd been able to see it, certainly I'd been one who although impressed with Harbrow, not completely blown away like some have been. What does everyone think his best position will be long term?

dog town
10-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Wish I'd been able to see it, certainly I'd been one who although impressed with Harbrow, not completely blown away like some have been. What does everyone think his best position will be long term? Not a case of being blown away but I guess I dont think he has been given enough credit possibly because he is older than most debutants.If a kid came out of the tac cup and played the way he did then everyone would be all over him and I guess I would like to judge him that way. Didn't do anything jaw dropping last night just did everything asked of him with his chance. Played mainly across half forward and lead up at the ball well. Showed that he is stronger in the air than most would have thought and also used the ball cleverly. He had one pretty awful clanger but generally made good decisions and had good vision. His chasing and tackling was probably the most pleasing part.

I actually think he may find it tough playing at the dome sometimes. He has an amazingly small turning circle but could find it hard to keep his feet at the dome when he changes direction that quickly. I am also interested to see where he ends up in terms of a position. Could play genuine midfield in the future I reckon and give us a bit of spark around the packs that we probably lack.

Go_Dogs
10-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Pleasing to see your comments about his overhead ability. That was one area that I would've had question marks over him. His disposal and vision has been good in matches that I've seen, and his willingness to take players on reminds me of how we played in 05 and 06, a bit more dash and confidence.

Didn't he come through the Murray Bushrangers last year? I could be way off.

One aspect I would like to see him work on is his goal kicking, scoreboard pressure. Goal kicking midfielders who can rest forward are very important.

dog town
10-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Pleasing to see your comments about his overhead ability. That was one area that I would've had question marks over him. His disposal and vision has been good in matches that I've seen, and his willingness to take players on reminds me of how we played in 05 and 06, a bit more dash and confidence.

. Didn't take any pack marks but took some marks on the lead with pressure from behind that were pleasing for a guy playing his role. I have really liked the way he takes them on. Rocket would encourage him to take them on I reckon. Griffen was back doing that stuff last night. Just ran at guys all night until he was injured.

Didn't he come through the Murray Bushrangers last year? I could be way off.

. I think your right actually. Not sure why but I as thinking he was a year or two older. Good effort to be having an impact first year either way.

One aspect I would like to see him work on is his goal kicking, scoreboard pressure. Goal kicking midfielders who can rest forward are very important. Agree. Hasn't really looked like kicking a heap of goals but has played outside 50 mainly.Crumbers dont tend to do very well for us but he still needs to get back towards goal and get on the end of a few handpasses.

Twodogs
10-06-2007, 04:23 PM
First time I saw him at trining I thought "This kids got some partry tricks", the second time I saw him I thought "This kid can seriously play the game" and by the third time I saw him I wanted him on the senior list.

He is one out of the box.

Dry Rot
10-06-2007, 04:33 PM
I like the way he does some hard/tough things too, unlike some.

Kind of ironic that the rookie is now getting serious game time while the three drafted black players are well off playing this season.

dog town
10-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Lead the side for 1%ers last night as well.

Dry Rot
10-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Lead the side for 1%ers last night as well.

Really? Thought he was doing some tough things.

Seems to have it all, except some meat on his bones - most of his decision making and disposals were first class too.

Thought Addison did pretty well too.

bornadog
10-06-2007, 05:16 PM
I actually think he may find it tough playing at the dome sometimes. He has an amazingly small turning circle but could find it hard to keep his feet at the dome when he changes direction that quickly. .

Actually your right, last game he played at the Dome against Collingwood, I noticed he slipped alot.

Great game last night and 20 disposals could almost earn him a rising star. Turns 19 years old mid July and yes surprising he has come up through the Rookie list.

Bulldog Revolution
10-06-2007, 09:55 PM
First time I saw him at trining I thought "This kids got some partry tricks", the second time I saw him I thought "This kid can seriously play the game" and by the third time I saw him I wanted him on the senior list.

He was very impressive Two Dogs - I think I've gone through a similar process:

When I saw him against North Bullants in the VFL I was impressed with his tricks, the next time I saw him in the VFL I thought 'wait a minute this kid is a difficult guy to matchup because he works so hard both with and without the footy'.

Obviously I saw him against Collingwood but he didn't get the ground time or role to find space in that one, but last night I was really impressed with his general toughness.

He looks a beauty to me

Twodogs
10-06-2007, 11:53 PM
He was very impressive Two Dogs - I think I've gone through a similar process:

When I saw him against North Bullants in the VFL I was impressed with his tricks, the next time I saw him in the VFL I thought 'wait a minute this kid is a difficult guy to matchup because he works so hard both with and without the footy'.

Obviously I saw him against Collingwood but he didn't get the ground time or role to find space in that one, but last night I was really impressed with his general toughness.

He looks a beauty to me

First few times for me was at training. He just had so time and space to do things that kids normally dont then I noticed the tackling and the fact that blokes just dont run any from him. After a bit his willingness to try things stood out-Eade played Harbrow on Hill for a lot of the preseason games and the two of them just went for it-it was brilliant to watch the two of them. By the time the season started I was on the bandwagon.

Bulldog Revolution
11-06-2007, 08:07 PM
First few times for me was at training. He just had so time and space to do things that kids normally dont then I noticed the tackling and the fact that blokes just dont run any from him. After a bit his willingness to try things stood out-Eade played Harbrow on Hill for a lot of the preseason games and the two of them just went for it-it was brilliant to watch the two of them. By the time the season started I was on the bandwagon.

He seems to have terrific concentration

thought it might be nice to revisit this:

Rookie put brother's life first
By Damien Stannard
December 17, 2006 12:00am

IF Jarrod Harbrow's devotion to his new club matches that shown to his family, the Western Bulldogs are on to a winner.

Harbrow is one of eight Queenslanders to be given their first shot at AFL stardom after being plucked from this week's rookie draft.

Five years ago, his only thoughts were dedicated to his brother Marc, who was battling acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Without the bone marrow donated by his little brother, Marc would almost certainly have died.

The Harbrow brothers are thriving now, Marc working as a development officer for AFL Cape York and Jarrod set to begin training with the Bulldogs tomorrow.

"I think Marc was pretty happy for me," Harbrow said of his arrival at the Kennel.

Harbrow, 18, played his junior football with South Cairns before moving to Victoria two years ago to link with Murray Bushrangers in the TAC Cup.

He represented Victoria Country in this year's under-18 national championships so was understandably gutted when overlooked in last month's national draft.

"It started me thinking about my year, that maybe I could have trained harder or done more," he said.

"I was shattered but my family helped me through."

But he had shown enough athleticism for the Bulldogs to see the 178cm forward as a goalkicking livewire in the mould of Melbourne's Aaron Davey. A record 19 Queenslanders have now been drafted or promoted to rookie lists for next season.

Bulldog Revolution
11-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Harbrow ready to burn
23 February 2007 Herald-Sun
Scott Gullan

WHEN quizzed about the best story of the pre-season, Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade has no hesitation in naming Jarrod Harbrow. Who?

Ripping it up: mullet devotee Jarrod Harbrow on the banks of Lake Burley Griffin yesterday. Picture: Michael Klein

another article:
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21272142%255E19742,00.html

Harbrow ready to burn
23 February 2007 Herald-Sun
Scott Gullan

"He's burning on the track, he looks like Kostya Tszyu and he's a good story," Eade said.

And once again it turns out the Bulldogs coach is on the money. Harbrow came to the Bulldogs via the second round of the rookie draft and has made such an impact that he will make his debut against Sydney in tomorrow's NAB Cup match in Canberra.

The "Kostya" nickname is obvious once you lay eyes on the 18-year-old Aboriginal who has the bleached rat's tail at the back to complete the picture.

"I was at a footy clinic and a guy came up for an autograph and said, 'Gee, you look like Kostya Tszyu'," Harbrow said. "It started there and now they're all onto it."

But Harbrow doesn't care what they call him given what he has been through to finally get a chance to live out his dream, which started running around the backblocks of Cairns.

In a way he is also living his older brother Mark's dream, given he had also wanted to play AFL before being diagnosed with leukemia at 16.

Mark just fell ill one day at home with a high temperature and the next thing he was in intensive care fighting for his life.

Jarrod, who is two years younger, was the first in the family to have a blood test to see if he had the bone marrow which would help save his brother.

"I was the first up to get a blood test to see if our bloods matched and they did perfectly," he said. "Straight away they wanted to do the transplant so they drained my blood, got the stem cells, and put it straight into his body.

"It is very rare to find someone with the same blood type as you and it was strange that we were a match straight away. I was saving his life but I don't like to look at it like that."

Mark made a full recovery, although he wasn't allowed to play contact sport for two years, and now works for the AFL as a development officer in Cairns. While he was recovering, Jarrod was forced to make another life-changing decision, and at 16 he left home and moved to Shepparton, where his father had originally been from, to play for the Murray Bushrangers in the TAC Cup.

"I knew I had to get out of Cairns to further my footy," he said. "My mate Courtney Dempsey, who plays for Essendon -- and I am actually living with him now -- he moved from Cairns to Brisbane and got a scholarship. I was a year after him and I could have done the same thing but my dad was from down Shepparton and he knew about the TAC Cup so I decided I'd rather go down there."

After representing Vic Country in the national championships, the skilful, quick left-footer suffered an untimely injury late in the season which he reckons cost him his chance of being drafted.

"The TAC Cup had a bye so I went back and played for my home club Mooroopna and hurt myself there in the seniors," he said. "I sprained the lateral ligament in my ankle and was out for three weeks. I came back and played the last game but I wasn't right."

He was invited down to Richmond to train following the national draft but after the season had finished he'd let his fitness drop away and knew he hadn't been impressive at the try-out.

When the rookie draft was on in December, Harbrow was at the tattooist getting an Aboriginal flag etched on to his chest. He found out he'd been taken by the Bulldogs via text message from a mate.

"I know as rookies you only get one chance so I have a message written on the front of my diary about making the most of it," he said. "I want to do everything right and get everything out of it."

alwaysadog
11-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Was at the Gabba on Saturday and he burnt. Started the last 1/4 on a HBF, so he has versatility. His is a great story. He was listed in the top ten of the Victorian based players going into the last draft by FootyGoss who said the following

9. Jarrad Harbrow – Murray Bushrangers
Can play as an inside or outside midfielder. Greatest assets are pace, kicking and goal sense. Didn’t have an extremely impressive championships campaign or draft camp but goalkicking midfielders can be invaluable. Should be selected somewhere after pick 25.

No one else seemed that impressed and he wasn't selected in the National Draft.

After the draft Clayton talked about there being a toss up between two players for one of the spots on the list. Then we picked him up as a rookie and I assumed that it was him all the time. I think Fooygoss wasn't too far off the mark.

southerncross
12-06-2007, 05:58 AM
After the draft Clayton talked about there being a toss up between two players for one of the spots on the list. Then we picked him up as a rookie and I assumed that it was him all the time. I think Fooygoss wasn't too far off the mark.

I think it was at the East meets West day that Eade also mentioned that Harbrow was strongly considered to be selected at the National Draft instead of Lynch.
I thought at the time that was a a strange comment that probably didn't need to be said.
Come rookie draft we also selected Hughes ahead of Harbrow giving a lot of clubs a 2nd chance at him.

bornadog
12-06-2007, 01:26 PM
I love the work he does on and off the ball. Two great things he has done recently that resulted in goals but unnoticed by some were:
1. Against Collingwood, put on a great shephard allowing us to kick a goal in the last quarter. If you watch the replay you will just see him in the corner of the screen which allowed our player to run into an open goal. (sorry can't remember who kicked it), but made the WB player look good. He had been in the play moments earlier, ran about 30 metres to lay a shephard.

2. Against Brisbane, third quarter goal by Ray, started with a great tackle from Harbrow, allowing the ball to come loose to Aker, who then took it down the ground and passed to Ray.

He is very exciting

Bulldog Revolution
18-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Has this been said enough lately?

I love him too!

Dry Rot
18-06-2007, 03:50 PM
What position/role do you think he'll be playing in 5 years time?

Mantis
18-06-2007, 03:59 PM
He has some tricks, his ability to change direction when he has the ball is amazing. Throws in the dummy and the goose step and he is away. His work without the ball is also excellent and he seems to have no confidence issues, doesn't seem to be overawed at all playing at AFL level. Cemented his spot in the team now and it will be exciting watch this kid develop over the coming years.

Bulldog Revolution
18-06-2007, 04:30 PM

Its very very hard to say, but hes looked good as a half forward, and his build and size seem suited to that type of role, but I've never seen him in a centre square set up so I dont know what hes like at that. I wonder if he might be a rover? what do others think

He looked comfortable working across half back on Saturrday night as well as up forward and does all the hard stuff a young player of his size would perhaps not be expected to do so early in his career.

Go_Dogs
18-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Eventually I think he'll play more midfield, but due to his pace and skill, anywhere from FP to HFF, to HBF would also be in his realm. Personally I'd like him forward/midfield in the future, as his ability to create scoring opportunities and build defensive pressure in our forward half is very important.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-06-2007, 06:53 PM
How is it that all the scouts and co. have overlooked Harbrow, and not to mention, the likes of Cox, Rutten, Davey, Boyd & Morris?

I'm sure there's probably more too.

It's amazing.

Go_Dogs
18-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Surjan is another. Just proves that no matter how hard you try, you can't always identify who are going to be the players

alwaysadog
18-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Surjan is another. Just proves that no matter how hard you try, you can't always identify who are going to be the players

I'm not sure that the rules many clubs recruit by don't blind them to a lot of talent. I've heard an independent person who has done a study of it is very scathing about the biases contained in the preconceptions many rely on. Bulldog Revolution should report on what he heard on this matter, he knows more about it than I do.

As far as our recruiting is concerned I recall seeing Cam Rose just before the last draft and said something to the effect that he would be fairly relaxed about the imminent draft as we usually did well and he replied that we could always get better. I asked if he had something particular in mind and he said how come we passed over Aaron Davey 5 times? At the time it didn't mean a lot but evry passing week gives it more significance.

Sockeye Salmon
18-06-2007, 08:55 PM
How is it that all the scouts and co. have overlooked Harbrow, and not to mention, the likes of Cox, Rutten, Davey, Boyd & Morris?

I'm sure there's probably more too.

It's amazing.

I wonder how many more are out there playing in the bush and getting drunk every weekend?

alwaysadog
18-06-2007, 09:15 PM
I wonder how many more are out there playing in the bush and getting drunk every weekend?

My theory has always been that there's lots of talent that doesn't get recognised largely because the media and the half wits at various clubs are in league; actually most of them are natural allies as they share a similar IQ deficit, and they conspire to present a very biased view of the available talent one which fits their limited and lop sided view of the world.

Anyone who looked carefully at the work Wheels did with some passed over talent in the early 90s knows what I'm talking about.

Go_Dogs
19-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Good point SS.

Bernie Vince is another example. He was out playing country footy with some mates of mine, didn't come up to play SANFL until the Crows asked him to as they were VERY keen on him. Patfull is another who was nearly relegated to the wilderness after being a Power rookie for a season or two and not really grasping his opportunities. A few of my close friends are excellent footballers and still get calls to go out for SANFL pre-seasons, (they haven't gone out for one in about 3 years but they still get the call), but they're too lazy and feel they've missed the boat so they don't bother. Another guy I know played seniors with the Eagles down here in SA, got dropped for the team for their GF and pretty much gave up after that, and he was a BIG guy who was playing quality football, he never rated his own ability and didn't even nominate for the draft, but I thought he would've been a worthwhile prospect, just needed the confidence. A lot of these guys are satisfied playing for $250 bucks, maybe a few cut up sheep to eat and many a weekend on the piss.

I think ever-increasingly though, people scour harder and are finding more players in obscure places to draft.

Interested to hear your thoughts Bulldog Revolution.

Twodogs
19-06-2007, 11:05 AM

His pace, sure handling, goal sense and work effort makes him a natural rover from my point of view.

Bulldog Revolution
19-06-2007, 12:38 PM
My theory has always been that there's lots of talent that doesn't get recognised largely because the media and the half wits at various clubs are in league; actually most of them are natural allies as they share a similar IQ deficit, and they conspire to present a very biased view of the available talent one which fits their limited and lop sided view of the world.

Anyone who looked carefully at the work Wheels did with some passed over talent in the early 90s knows what I'm talking about.

I became convinced that there was loads of talent out there and that opportunity was all that held many back when the Dockers joined the competition.

Now admittedly Neesham and Co had some left of centre ideas on talent, but clearly identifying Peter Bell, Shane Parker, Scott Chisolm, Matthew Burton, James Clement, Winston Abraham, Shaun McManus etc in their first year shows how talent can be found outside of the mainstream channels BUT perhaps not getting Andrew Mcleod to actually play for them was a mistake.

I'll post further about modern day recruitment shortly

Dry Rot
15-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Another good game from him. For a light framed guy, he really has a dip. And kicked a cracker of a goal.

Doesn't look out of place in the side (or perhaps he does with his superior tackling ;) )

bulldogtragic
16-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Could be our teams goal of the year. The bloody thing never looked like missing.

aker39
16-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Could be our teams goal of the year. The bloody thing never looked like missing.

With the amount of games we play at Telstra Dome, he's going to have to get his footware right.

Apart from that, I think he has shown lots of promise.

Go_Dogs
16-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Yep, needs to be able to turn on the surface.

Raw Toast
16-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Don't think his going to ground so often was only a footwear issue. I know Dog Town was concerned that he might have problems dealing with the slipperyness of the Docklands turf and I think this was the case, but it also seemed to me that he was trying to play a bit like Daniel Cross - sliding into the ball and then firing out a handpass. The problem was his hands (and/or handling) wasn't as good as Cross's and he ended up either losing the ball and being out of the contest, or was wrapped up for a bounce.

I didn't think he had that good a game actually. As someone posted in another thread, his handling was not as sure as it has been and he didn't provide as much zip either. That said, he fought his way back into the game, tackled well and his run was important at times. I was rapt he kicked that goal because it was an important time in the game, and also important for his game.

Dry Rot
12-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Bump for a good display. Hopefully cementing his place.

Throughandthrough
12-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Not sure.

I thought he made some dreadfull errors as well. Is far from cemented in the team.

ledge
12-04-2008, 01:27 PM
He is still a kid, some players take a few years to mature, he is way ahead of most of them.
I probably see him playing a bit in the Milne of St Kilda role, but better in the tackling side of things.
But in saying that, depending on what the club decides to teach him, as he is very elusive and could become a centre like player, personally i like elusive players in the forward line. He can kick the magical goal as we have seen.
Could be a bit of an Akermanis type.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-04-2008, 01:42 PM
I like the way Harbrow usually goes about his footy but I was disappointed with his efforts last night. I didn't see him apply too much pressure - althoguh I was watching on the TV - and his skills by both foot & hand were pretty poor. Aside from the goal he kicked to put us in front again, he didn't do a whole lot & turned the ball over too much.

Good up and coming player but I reckon he may be in trouble if West is OK next week.

hujsh
12-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Could be a bit of an Akermanis type.

When i watched the way he moved last year i immediately thought of Acker.

Dry Rot
14-07-2008, 06:51 PM
One of the few standouts yesterday IMO.

Does he deserve a place ahead of Hill?

alwaysadog
14-07-2008, 09:49 PM
One of the few standouts yesterday IMO.

Does he deserve a place ahead of Hill?

Maybe DR.. based on yesterday he looked the better of the two. His confidence is up and Hill's seemed just so so.
That said Rocket usually has a wider perspective and so far he's got most of it right. I wonder what will happen if as expected nos 12,16 and 28 return to the side for the Geelong game.

Dry Rot
14-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Maybe DR.. based on yesterday he looked the better of the two. His confidence is up and Hill's seemed just so so.
That said Rocket usually has a wider perspective and so far he's got most of it right. I wonder what will happen if as expected nos 12,16 and 28 return to the side for the Geelong game.

I suppose it would come down to Wight, Tiller and one of Hill or Harbrow being dropped.

I'd keep Harbrow for this game.

1eyedog
14-07-2008, 10:43 PM
I suppose it would come down to Wight, Tiller and one of Hill or Harbrow being dropped.

Me too, he's like a Bull Terrier

Mantis
14-07-2008, 11:08 PM

I would keep him in for every game.

Dry Rot
20-09-2008, 12:19 AM
In terms of endeavour, he was one of our best.

soupman
20-09-2008, 11:27 AM
He was fantastic last night. When he gets it something happens, very exciting and he's really improved his disposal

cinder
20-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Yes Harbrow has been super impressive.
We have been able to depend on him with everyone else seemed to have lost the plot. Loved his game last night.

Mofra
20-09-2008, 12:10 PM
I suppose everyone is talking about his two goals in two minutes?

That would be his 3rd best piece of play.

In second I'd have the don't argue he put on Scarlett when the game was up for grabs. Took on the best FB of the last decade and won, after Eade no don't told the boys to take as many risks as possible during his 3/4 time address.

My favourite will be the making of him. Running out of defence, he used his little rugby-like skip to get around 2 opponents, handball off, gather the ball a gain and kick it into the forwardline. I highlight this piece of play because it was breaking the lines just when we needed to, and "the step" sets him apart from alot of other small indigenous midfielder/goalsneaks who develop workrate into their game. Every player need a "trick" to beat an opopnent in one facet of the game, and Harbrow clearly has his (on top of his tenacity).

I know Morris & Boyd are in the leadership group, but I dare say in a year or two he will be regarded as just as good a rookie pick as those two (perhaps slightly ahead of Boyd, behind Morris at his current rate of improvement).

phroosh
20-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Jarrod putting Scarlett on his butt has given me some much needed smiles today.

hujsh
21-09-2008, 12:38 AM

Thought it was Rooke?

phroosh
21-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Could've been; I had trouble telling those two apart from our end, but an early media report mentioned Scarlett (no guarantee there...). Be a better story if it was Scarlett....

Scorlibo
21-09-2008, 11:04 AM

That was absolute gold, it was Scarlett and he was BULLDOZED by Harbs.

MrMahatma
22-09-2008, 07:05 AM
That was absolute gold, it was Scarlett and he was BULLDOZED by Harbs.
Pretty sure it was Rooke. Commentators said Scarlett though.

On Harbrow - never really been a fan, but I think he offers us something, and is turning into quite a good opportunist. Hopefully some more improvement next season.

LostDoggy
22-09-2008, 09:32 AM

Have you been drinking TD?

I do agree with you though

wb_age
22-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Here's a short vid i made of Harbrow VS the cats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO0of56RJd8

Mantis
22-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Pretty sure it was Rooke. Commentators said Scarlett though.

It was definitely Scarlett.

Agree with Mofra on his favourite bit of play. At that point we were struggling to get the ball out of defence. Harbrow took a risk and five seconds later the ball is in our hands at CHF.

LostDoggy
22-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Hopefully that game was the making of him. Super effort and was our major line breaker of Half back.
Very impressive game.

Dry Rot
05-06-2009, 09:50 PM
I've only got ABC radio to go on, but it sounds like Harbrow is having a great game.

More importantly, when we went to sleep it sounds like he fought on and really stood up.

Harbrow will never die wondering.

LostDoggy
05-06-2009, 09:52 PM
I love him, my favourite player.

http://forums.furcadia.com/style_emoticons/furc/wub.gif

Dry Rot
05-06-2009, 09:55 PM
I love him, my favourite player.

http://forums.furcadia.com/style_emoticons/furc/wub.gif

Makes mistakes, not everything comes off but you have to love his intent and endeavour.

When he has a bigger body, the tackles will stick, more marks will be taken and he will be a genuine star IMO.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Makes mistakes, not everything comes off but you have to love his intent and endeavour.

When he has a bigger body, the tackles will stick, more marks will be taken and he will be a genuine star IMO.

Was very good tonight, effective with his disposals, albeit one sloppy out on the full. But his pressure, intensity and running was a real highlight.

Rocco Jones
05-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Yeah, I am another one who is in love with Harbrow. He also has a fair bit of natural development left in him, whether it's adding defensive guile or increasing his fitness base to play in the midfield. I think he is going to be a star.

comrade
05-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Has a massive ticker, loves to take the game on, has good vision - yep, I heart him also.

A masterstroke putting him in the back line. Bravo Rocket!

lemmon
05-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Was the best game I've seen him play. He really sparked our run out of defense and chopped off numerous Richmond forward fifty entries. Toweled up Pettifer tonight.

LostDoggy
05-06-2009, 11:45 PM
I've been wondering this year why he was in the backline. Tonight answered my question. Very good at running the ball away from the packs. Very impressed with him tonight.

bornadog
06-06-2009, 12:14 AM
He has played three top games in a row. Yes made a few mistakes against Geelong but came good in the second half and hasn't looked back.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Best game for the club aside from a few errors in the last.

Very impressive. He looked far more composed with the ball in his hands tonight. He didn't run around making irrational decisions which was pleasing to see.

He's obviously a very coachable young kid.

G-Mo77
06-06-2009, 01:54 AM
He has really solidified his place in the side now. I must admit my heart almost jumps out of my mouth a lot of the time when he takes opposition players on.

He really seems to be making the right decisions now even under pressure, which now doesn't seem to faze him

soupman
06-06-2009, 01:02 PM
He has really solidified his place in the side now. I must admit my heart almost jumps out of my mouth a lot of the time when he takes opposition players on.

He's pretty much the only player other than Griffen in our side who really takes opponents on by running at them (Mitch Hahn maybe, but he sort of runs through them). It's great to watch though, opens up the field and even if he does get caught a couple of times I'm prepared to wear that as long as he keeps trying.

Mofra
06-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Harbrow must now be considered part of our best 22. When raffling off that last BP spot, Callan & DFA appeared to be front runners at the start of the year, the Brow seems to have lept over both quite quickly.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Harbrow must now be considered part of our best 22. When raffling off that last BP spot, Callan & DFA appeared to be front runners at the start of the year, the Brow seems to have lept over both quite quickly.
This will be facinating to watch for the rest of the year.

Callan is a decent player, and came to us for games.
Everyone loves DFAs attack on the ball
But, Harbrow his heap frogged them.

Callan and DFA wont get the tagging spot off Picken. So it's these 3 guts for the one spot depending on matchups. Hopefully these 'inlucky' players that are dropped to Willi string together some great games for Willi and keep pressure on for ALL the spots.

Rance Fan
06-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Harbow - playing a good season so far, really like how he takes it to em! Another from the back half who creates run and carry, creating the rebound footy. Attckin footy when we look best as a team.!

LostDoggy
06-06-2009, 10:56 PM
I havent been a big fan of Harbrow and saw him as a fringe player at best. He has won me over though recently, in my opinion he has improved more in the last few games than he had in the last year, he seems to be getting his decisions and disposal right far more often and has a new found confidence in taking opposition players on. From memory there was a great tackle on G Ablett the other week when others couldnt hang on to him.

Mantis
13-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Another really good performance tonight. His consistency over the past 4 or 5 weeks has been great.

Fast becoming a really important player in our team.

Mofra
13-06-2009, 10:52 PM
With rebound being so important in the way football is being played now, he really has made the rebounding BP position his own. I'll take the odd mistake if he is going to try that hard to make the play.

The Coon Dog
13-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Another really good performance tonight. His consistency over the past 4 or 5 weeks has been great.

Too true Mantis, he's really starting to use his anticipation too, great to have someone to run from defence.

Mantis
13-06-2009, 10:58 PM
With rebound being so important in the way football is being played now, he really has made the rebounding BP position his own. I'll take the odd mistake if he is going to try that hard to make the play.

As do I because when it comes off he is really able to break open the play. We were becoming a little predictable bringing the ball out of defence, but Jarrod brings a certain amount of unpredicatability to our defence and so far it is paying dividends.

AndrewP6
13-06-2009, 10:58 PM
His ability (and willingness) to take it to players is terrific. Makes things happen.

Mofra
13-06-2009, 11:01 PM
We were becoming a little predictable bringing the ball out of defence, but Jarrod brings a certain amount of unpredicatability to our defence and so far it is paying dividends.
I don't think it is pure coincidence that our recent good form has coincided perfectly with Jarrod's introduction into the team. Almost every time he was involved in the play tonight we managed to gain an inside 50, simply because as soon as he sidesteps an opponent we are man-on until the last marking contest.

It absolutely destroys any chance of an opposition setting up an effective zone.

LostDoggy
13-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Really polished performance tonight. Would have had him in the top 4 or 5 players on the ground.

hujsh
14-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Reminds me very much of McMahon if McMahon was more dependable defensively and was more consistent.

LostDoggy
14-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Reminds me very much of McMahon if McMahon was more dependable defensively and was more consistent.

And had the heart of Harbrow.

hujsh
14-06-2009, 01:02 PM
And had the heart of Harbrow.

That one goes without saying;)

AndrewP6
15-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Some good wraps on Harbrow on Footy Classified tonight

Mantis
16-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Some good wraps on Harbrow on Footy Classified tonight

For the benefit of the people who were in the land of noddy was there anything said that we don't already know?

aker39
16-06-2009, 09:22 AM
For the benefit of the people who were in the land of noddy was there anything said that we don't already know?

No not really.

Hutchy was giving the dogs a big rap, but Thomas and Lyon were playing it down, Lyon especially, saying that he will wait for the big games before he makes his mind up.

They showed several examples of Jarrod bringing the ball out of the back line, taking on players and setting up the the forward attacks. Hutchy was saying that he has made the difference to the bulldogs backline, giving them another avenue to run the ball out of the backline, rather than just Gilbee or Griffin, which had become a bit predictable. (I think he must have read that on here)

AndrewP6
16-06-2009, 05:28 PM

Sorry, should have added that info! Was probably half-asleep when I posted that..

bornadog
16-06-2009, 07:48 PM
No not really.

Hutchy was giving the dogs a big rap, but Thomas and Lyon were playing it down, Lyon especially, saying that he will wait for the big games before he makes his mind up.

They showed several examples of Jarrod bringing the ball out of the back line, taking on players and setting up the the forward attacks. Hutchy was saying that he has made the difference to the bulldogs backline, giving them another avenue to run the ball out of the backline, rather than just Gilbee or Griffin, which had become a bit predictable. (I think he must have read that on here)

Yeah, he read that here, two years ago.

westdog54
05-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Best game for the club aside from a few errors in the last.

Very impressive. He looked far more composed with the ball in his hands tonight. He didn't run around making irrational decisions which was pleasing to see.

He's obviously a very coachable young kid.

I think last night's effort topped that by a very fair margin.

Don't think he made a mistake all night, kicking was exceptional, chased hard.

He's fast becoming a dashed good player.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2009, 09:38 PM
He is really putting the acid on DFA and Callan to fight to get a game.

alwaysadog
05-07-2009, 10:36 PM
No not really.

Don't want to take one ounce of praise away from Jarrod, but I find it interesting that because he plays an obvious eye catching role the lazy media jump all over him and almost ignore the terrific drive and pin point supply Shaggy has been providing for most of the season and especially last night. The current predictable feature of our backline is that who ever gets it, the ball will be rebounded quickly and with precision.

IMO Jarrod has added a bit more dash, especially in heavy traffic, while DFA and Timmy offer a bit more grunt admittedly in different ways.

Early this year I was happy to have both in our best 22 but Jarrod's development has enabled our defence to have an even more attacking focus and DFA and Timmy's games will need to develop extra dimensions.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-07-2009, 10:43 PM
The funny thing is, Harbrow started in defence because we lacked other options. Callan was injured at the time and we didn't have anybody else to play on the quick small forwards. Harbrow has had a fantastic season and he's been far too good to move back to the forward line.

It's a credit to him.

Harbrow/Gilbee/Hargrave are working together really well.

Dry Rot
15-08-2009, 10:55 PM
How did you rate his game tonight?

Happy Days
15-08-2009, 10:57 PM

Probably his best game in a Bulldogs jumper. Was absolutely outstanding tonight.

boydogs
15-08-2009, 11:15 PM

Very highly. Great attacking runs, poise, hands and delivery
BOG for mine

lemmon
15-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Most improved player this year for us IMO. Been fantastic with his run, carry and precision skills.

Dry Rot
15-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Most improved player this year for us IMO. Been fantastic with his run, carry and precision skills.

And confidence.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Love the speed he brings to the side, has real pace to burn.

DOG GOD
16-08-2009, 09:53 AM
was fantastic below the knees last night...has really taken his game to another level. Confidence is growing each week. His attack on the ball is second to none.

LostDoggy
16-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Love his attacking positive way he takes on the game. Best form of defence is attack and he is a beauty. Add a few running goals of the HBF and we have a superstar.

LostDoggy
16-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Jarrod did some absolutely outstanding things last night, very impressive, he continues to add new tricks to his bag. I had doubts about this guy last year, I am so glad to be proved wrong. He is absolutely cemented in our best 22. Congrats Jarrod.

Studentlib
16-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Since going down to BP he has learned so much so quickly about decision making and finding his way through heavy traffic. Add that lovely kicking and speed and he releases Gilbee to move further up more often. A revelation since his first couple of games down back. Should be heaped with congratulations for last nights effort.

Dazza
16-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Is fast becoming a topline Afl player. Give it a couple years I think we have a Wirrapunda on our hands. Best game for the club easily. Probably BOG or at least BOG in a doggies jumper. (Black may have played a better game) Great move by Eade to put him in the backline. Been providing the run and carry that we got glimpses of in the Geelong final last year.

Most improved player by a fair margin.

dog town
16-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Should be interesting how he fairs next week. Geelong dragged him deep and kicked goals on him last time with Stokes and co getting hold of him in the air. He has improved since then but I am sure they will try this again given his form.

Twodogs
16-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Should be interesting how he fairs next week. Geelong dragged him deep and kicked goals on him last time with Stokes and co getting hold of him in the air. He has improved since then but I am sure they will try this again given his form.

It's a good question DT.

Does he run forward and try and cause more havoc and let Geelong worry about him or does he stay deep and try and contest over his head which really isnt his thing?

boydogs
16-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Most improved player by a fair margin.

Shaun Higgins may have an argument here, but he is definitely up there

comrade
16-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Shaun Higgins may have an argument here, but he is definitely up there

Higgins was always going to be an out and out gun.

Harbrow had to battle his way from the rookie list, and had shown glimpses of his talent without stamping himself as a consistent member of our best 22.

This year he has been a revelation, and it's a credit to his persistence.

Rocco Jones
16-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Higgins was always going to be an out and out gun.

Harbrow had to battle his way from the rookie list, and had shown glimpses of his talent without stamping himself as a consistent member of our best 22.

This year he has been a revelation, and it's a credit to his persistence.

That's it.

He was fantastic last night. I love how he attacks the ball. He can manufacture great rebound out of 50/50 contests.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Not to deminish Harbrow in any way, I think Picken's rise has been exceptional.

What a wonderful problem to have, nominating only one young gun who has cemented a best 22 position.

Twodogs
16-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Not to deminish Harbrow in any way, I think Picken's rise has been exceptional.

What a wonderful problem to have, nominating only one young gun who has cemented a best 22 position.

I must admit I watched Picken through the preseason and thought "He's got nothing" It was just so hard to see what he bought to the table that got him his place on the list, but happily I was about as wrong as I could be.

When he got into the side and did a couple of shut downs on big names in his first couple of games I thought "Ripper we've found something we didnt have" A bloke who could stop big bodied midfielders make us look silly. Since then he's really blossomed as a player who has skills that can hurt the opposition-for instance his long range kicking for goal, standing and on the run is very good and I love his work around stoppages, for such a light framed player he really knows how to lay a block and shepherd for his teammates.

Rocco Jones
16-08-2009, 06:36 PM
I think a huge indicator of a coach is how they fit players in different roles, making the most of what they have got. Roos is a master at this. Picken as a stopper and Harbrow as a small defender have been a massive credit to Eade and co.

LostDoggy
16-08-2009, 06:37 PM
See username ^ :)

Dry Rot
21-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Another pressure game tonight, and I thought he was among our better players.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Another pressure game tonight, and I thought he was among our better players.

He does seem to rise to the challenge. He was good last year in the PreLim to, so it's good to know he can handle the big stage with aplomb.
Rocket was impressed with him from his comments in the Press conference following the game. He said that his run and dash confuses opposition players, and that his biggest atttribute is his super competitiveness- loves the hard stuff and is not an outside receiver.
Also said that he is surprisingly good overhead but hasn't had the opportunity to show it yet.
And in closing, praised his work ethic in coming of the rookie list and pushing so hard for the opportunities he received.

angelopetraglia
21-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Loved Harbrow's game again.

He has really improved his kicking. Some of his kicks were sensational tonight.

Rance Fan
21-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Top player "Speedy Gonzales" Ondalay....................

jitboy
22-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Another good game from the little man with fast feet tonight. Agreed his field kicking has improved a lot. It's enjoyable to watching him back his instincts. Would love to see him take it to the next step and if he does get tackled when trying to step around his man, being able to take the contact and releasing his teammates with good handball. But no doubt his stocks are rising.

I have a signed, match worn guernsey of his from the 2007 season. Looks like a good investment! Go dogs!

bulldogtragic
22-08-2009, 10:05 AM
I love how he backs himself, a few times last night he resembled a pinball bouncing of several bumpers, but he keeps his feet and thinks through the situation, and most times successfully. I love to see confidence like that.

SonofScray
22-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Love the way he goes about it it, the dash and agility through traffic is one of footy's newer spectacles IMO. We don't see the big hangers so often, but swooping on the ball and rebounding through a mass of bodies really does light up the stadium.

And this man provides plenty of it.

Dry Rot
11-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Bloody good effort tonight. Harbrow >>>> Brown. :D

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Harbrow's efforts tonight were just superb, his closing speed & his vertical leap make him a surprisingly good defender in the air.
Fantastic to see the young fellow really stand up on the big stage. He showed in last year's final series he is not overawed by finals pressure, and has really added to his stature as a player.

bulldogsman
11-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Played in the forward line a bit in the last, could this be a sign?

soupman
11-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Played in the forward line a bit in the last, could this be a sign?

I don't think he's a forward at all though. Watching him play there tonight and having seen him play there on previous occasions he lacks two things that all small forwards need: Finishing ability (as in kicking the goal) and Goal Sense.

Harbrows strengths are his long passing, his intensity (never drops below 100%), his ability to shrug tackles and his ability to weave around opponents at high speed and break the lines by doing so. I would argue that last points his most dangerous ability, and would be wasted if he was up forward because he wouldn't have the space to do it. Keep him in defence for me.

And just as an aside, how good are his slingshot moves. He did a beauty tonight in the last quarter where he entered a tackle with the ball facing Brisbanes goals and came out at top speed going our way.

Rance Fan
11-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Gutsy classy performance tonight, hope we see it again next week. Will he take Schnider and Callan Milne or vice versa?
Mmmmm

cambo
11-09-2009, 11:43 PM
great game from young fella, as Johno said after game his hardness at ball and bravery backing into JBrown inspired the boys.
Well done Jarred
Also Wardy, Picken and the likes

bulldogsman
11-09-2009, 11:46 PM
I don't think he's a forward at all though. Watching him play there tonight and having seen him play there on previous occasions he lacks two things that all small forwards need: Finishing ability (as in kicking the goal) and Goal Sense.

Harbrows strengths are his long passing, his intensity (never drops below 100%), his ability to shrug tackles and his ability to weave around opponents at high speed and break the lines by doing so. I would argue that last points his most dangerous ability, and would be wasted if he was up forward because he wouldn't have the space to do it. Keep him in defence for me.

And just as an aside, how good are his slingshot moves. He did a beauty tonight in the last quarter where he entered a tackle with the ball facing Brisbanes goals and came out at top speed going our way.

Yeah i think we need his daring in the backline against the Saints anyway. Really impressed me when he was going back with flight, saw big Brown but kept going. He did it a couple times. Who needs Callan.

That was brilliant in the last quarter, when he has the ball try not to blink otherwise you will miss it.

LostDoggy
12-09-2009, 12:03 AM
The best thing about Harbrow is his commitment. If all of our players had his endeavour we would take the flag quite comfortably. He continually gets to marking contests to punch the ball on the wing when other players in the side might take the foot off the pedal and look to man up the player running past. The kid is a gem.

Desipura
12-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Interesting that I made the call last week if Callan came into the side they could throw Harbrow forward. They did that in part of the last qtr and I liked his endeavour. Its good to have some contigency plans up there if we are struggling

gohardorgohome
12-09-2009, 09:47 AM
I could not understand how he was not in the best in "The Age".

bulldogtragic
12-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Very solid game last night, and i liked him up forward too. Would love to see some more of it too, he is an absolute x-factor.

jazzadogs
12-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Gutsy classy performance tonight, hope we see it again next week. Will he take Schnider and Callan Milne or vice versa?
Mmmmm
I would think that Callan would go to Schneider, Harbrow to Milne.

Schneider is a stronger body, therefore more suited to Callan. Jarrod 'Jazz-Hands' Harbrow can handle Milne comfortably.

lemmon
12-09-2009, 04:09 PM
I would think that Callan would go to Schneider, Harbrow to Milne.

Schneider is a stronger body, therefore more suited to Callan. Jarrod 'Jazz-Hands' Harbrow can handle Milne comfortably.

Personally I think it would be the opposite. Milne is probably better in the air then Schneider and may have a few too many tricks for Harbrow. Schneider relies a bit more on his pace and agility where Milne can out body his opponent.
I would have
Schneider-Harbrow
Milne- Callan/ Hargrave

hujsh
13-09-2009, 05:16 PM
While dangerous he didn't look like he could actually finish his work up forward. The manic way he runs when down back is great for evading tackles but he seems to lack that composure when he's head is going 100 miles an hour.

bulldogtragic
13-09-2009, 05:42 PM
While dangerous he didn't look like he could actually finish his work up forward. The manic way he runs when down back is great for evading tackles but he seems to lack that composure when he's head is going 100 miles an hour.
I thought his 4 bounce, 80msprint the other night and lace out bullet that hit the target was an amazing kick. Our rookie list has treated us well.

hujsh
13-09-2009, 06:02 PM
I thought his 4 bounce, 80msprint the other night and lace out bullet that hit the target was an amazing kick. Our rookie list has treated us well.

No doubt his work down back and running through the midfield has been a revelation this year.

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Full marks to the coaching staff who put him in defence... genius