PDA

View Full Version : Under the pump

Rocco Jones
07-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Which players are under the most scrutiny/pressure from each club? Not really looking for guns who play extremely valuable roles, more so players who have struggled for form or have put pressure on themselves.

Crows- Brent Reilly
Lions- Brendan Fevola
Blues- Ryan Houlihan
Pies- Luke Ball
Dons- Bachar Houli
Freo- Ryan Murphy
Cats- Tom Lonergan
Hawks- Josh Gibson
Dees- Brad Miller
North- Daniel Wells
Port- Danyle Pearce
Tigers- Brett Deledio
Swans- Paul Bevan
Saints- Raphael Clarke
Eagles- Daniel Kerr
Dogs- Barry Hall

AndrewP6
07-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Good thread.

Given your criteria of "players who have struggled for form or have put pressure on themselves", for the Dogs, I'd probably nominate Everitt more than Hall. I see BAZZA as a gun, who will play a valuable role for us. Everitt has promised a lot, and to date been somewhat disappointing.

hujsh
07-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Rough for Deledio to be under the pump given he's been their best mid in recent times. But I guess that's Richmond for you.

GVGjr
07-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Rough for Deledio to be under the pump given he's been their best mid in recent times. But I guess that's Richmond for you.

I agree that Deledio looks out a bit out of place with that list. I'd welcome him to the kennel.

Rocco Jones
07-03-2010, 10:37 PM
The players I selected are under pressure for a variety of reasons.

Given your criteria of "players who have struggled for form or have put pressure on themselves", for the Dogs, I'd probably nominate Everitt more than Hall. I see BAZZA as a gun, who will play a valuable role for us. Everitt has promised a lot, and to date been somewhat disappointing.

I don't really see Hall as being under massive pressure to perform, more so under pressure not to snap. I think his time with us with be massive to how his career is finally rated.

I agree that Deledio looks out a bit out of place with that list. I'd welcome him to the kennel.

Me too. He isn't under pressure to hold his spot, more so to live up to his reputation/potential. He was valuable last year but he is still playing like a gun kid.

AndrewP6
07-03-2010, 11:08 PM
The players I selected are under pressure for a variety of reasons.
I don't really see Hall as being under massive pressure to perform, more so under pressure not to snap. I think his time with us with be massive to how his career is finally rated.

Fair point. I'm hoping for a Disney-like ending...:)

mighty_west
07-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Adelaide : Trent Hentschel [injury riddled, has never been the same since those shocking injuries]
Brisbane : Travis Johnson [front runner, very inconsistant]
Carlton : Brad Fisher [now that Fevs gone, needs to stand up and help out the forward line]
Collingwood : Chris Dawes, Sean Rusling [Dawes has been rated pretty high for a while now, Rusling, similar to Hentschel]
Essendon : Scott Gumbleton [see above]
Fremantle : Ryan Crowley [another inconsistant one, need to fire up]
Geelong : Ryan Gamble [maybe a little bit harsh, but with Mooney on his last legs, and Hawkins starting to show form last season, Gamble needs to stamp himself as a perminent player in their side, when in good form, can add quite a bit to their forward line]
Hawthorn : Beau Dowler [another harsh one, has improved, but with the hype, needs to take that next step, needs to find his position]
Melbourne : Cameron Bruce, Brad Green [2 experienced players that should have shown alot more than they have done over the past few seasons, they were both gun juniors.
North Melbourne : David Hale [might be best to look at GC17 next season]
Port Adelaide : Justin Westoff [first year, was great, has tapered off big time, needs a big season.
Richmond : Troy Simmonds [is he still on their list?]
St Kilda : Steven Baker [hard nut, was the berometer for the Saints going back a few seasons, has been held back with injury, but needs to improve for them to take the next step imo]
Sydney :
West Coast : Ashley Hansen, Sam Butler [have both been in the system for a while now, both injury prone, both have the talent, both need big seasons]
Western Bulldogs : Brennan Stack [needs to take the game by the scruff of the neck, and display his talents on a consistant basis, otherwise he might be left behind, just like Malcolm Lynch.]

comrade
07-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Brad Fisher might struggle considering he did his knee a couple of weeks ago.

AndrewP6
07-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Richmond : Troy Simmonds [is he still on their list?]

Yes, he is. :)

AndrewP6
07-03-2010, 11:25 PM

True - standing up may present some difficulty for a while! :)

chef
08-03-2010, 08:33 AM

Do you know which knee surgery he had, was it the quick fix?

GVGjr
08-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Do you know which knee surgery he had, was it the quick fix?

Do a search on the Hun or Age sites but I seem to remember he was considering the Malceski type option.

chef
08-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Do a search on the Hun or Age sites but I seem to remember he was considering the Malceski type option.

Carlton's Fisher to undergo knee surgery

Carlton forward Brad Fisher is the latest player to undergo the revolutionary LARS knee surgery and expects to return to football within 12 weeks.

Fisher suffered a partial tear of his right ACL in last Saturday night's NAB Cup loss to Sydney and underwent the ligament augmentation and reconstruction system (LARS) surgery on Wednesday.

LARS involves using a ligament made of industrial strength polyester fibres to augment the torn natural ligament and has been used successfully on Swans defender Nick Malceski.

After speaking to Malceski and Carlton's medical team, the 25-year-old decided to go ahead with the procedure

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/6850086/carltons-fisher-to-undergo-knee-surgery/

Go_Dogs
08-03-2010, 04:33 PM

Agreed. Very talented player, with a very high ceiling on what he could possibly achieve. Would look great in Bulldogs colours.

Good thread topic RJ. I will have a crack at some stage this week. Tiller is one who springs to mind from the Dogs perspective. Has played some good games, and some poor ones. Really needs a big year, but is behind the 8-ball with his preparation due to injury.

Mantis
08-03-2010, 09:22 PM
St Kilda : Steven Baker [hard nut, was the berometer for the Saints going back a few seasons, has been held back with injury, but needs to improve for them to take the next step imo]

How?

He is a limited player in terms of skill who found his place as a tight checking small defender last season. He doesn't have the skill that many of his team-mates have so rightfully uses them to distribute the ball.

Western Bulldogs : Brennan Stack [needs to take the game by the scruff of the neck, and display his talents on a consistant basis, otherwise he might be left behind, just like Malcolm Lynch.]

Agree in a way, but he has only played 3 games and with our list being quite well stocked for small/ medium forwards he may struggle to get a look in.

It is a big year for him in terms of getting a consisitent performance from him (probably at Williamstown), but he might well be better suited to this thread next year.

Sedat
08-03-2010, 09:44 PM
How?

He is a limited player in terms of skill who found his place as a tight checking small defender last season. He doesn't have the skill that many of his team-mates have so rightfully uses them to distribute the ball.
Had a wonderful 2009 finals series, wiping the floor with a couple of handy types in Aker and Stevie J in the process. Kosi or King would be my 'under the pump' choices from the Saints.

Deledio has won the last 2 B&F's at Richmond. He was very consistent in 2008, but his 2009 was sub-par for the majority of it, and winning the B&F was a sad indictment on the season that Richmond had. With his natural gifts, he should easily be a top 10 player in the competition. Has developed some poor habits and still does an awful lot of stats padding off half back - all too rarely does he actually influence the contest (partly the result of being in a shithouse team to be fair).

FrediKanoute
08-03-2010, 10:21 PM

I would have thought Turnover Tambling would be more likely to be under the pump for the Tigers

Rocco Jones
08-03-2010, 10:27 PM
I would have thought Turnover Tambling would be more likely to be under the pump for the Tigers

I actually agree with that, should have gone with Tambling. I still do believe Deledio is/should be under the pump though. He gets touches and his SC scores look good but I really don't believe he is doing enough.

mighty_west
08-03-2010, 10:57 PM
How?

Agree in a way, but he has only played 3 games and with our list being quite well stocked for small/ medium forwards he may struggle to get a look in.

It is a big year for him in terms of getting a consisitent performance from him (probably at Williamstown), but he might well be better suited to this thread next year.

Baker, He is nowhere near where he was 4 or 5 years ago, he was ther number one tagging option going back, he has never been skillful, but made up for that with his tenaciousness [we have had many of those at the Kennel], now that tag belongs to Clint Jones, plus ageing wise, the game may just be slipping past Baker.

Stack, what makes you think he will last next year if his form doesn't go upwards? He just seems to me, to be the type that doesn't do enough, a little bit like Cam Faulkner, i really hope Stacky proves me wrong.

Mantis
09-03-2010, 06:55 AM
Baker, He is nowhere near where he was 4 or 5 years ago, he was ther number one tagging option going back, he has never been skillful, but made up for that with his tenaciousness [we have had many of those at the Kennel], now that tag belongs to Clint Jones, plus ageing wise, the game may just be slipping past Baker.

He now has a different role (tight checking small defender). As Sedat alluded to Baker performed extremely well in the finals and for that matter, the entire year. He is safe.

Stack, what makes you think he will last next year if his form doesn't go upwards? He just seems to me, to be the type that doesn't do enough, a little bit like Cam Faulkner, i really hope Stacky proves me wrong.

I'm pretty sure he has a 2yr contract.

chef
09-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Crows- Jonothan Griffin
Lions- Jamie Charman
Blues- Ryan Houlihan
Pies- Sean Rusling
Dons- Jason Laycock
Freo- Ryan Murphy
Cats- Tom Lonergan
Hawks- Thomas Murphy
Dees- Danial Bell
North- Aaron Edwards
Port- Warren Tredrea
Tigers- Jordan McMahon
Swans- Jarred Moore
Saints- Raphael Clarke
Eagles- Ashley Hansen
Dogs- Tim Callan

mighty_west
09-03-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm pretty sure he has a 2yr contract.

Well thats good, i really hope he makes the most of it, and doesn't end up another wasted talent, he got me pretty excited the first time i saw him play for Willy, breaking the lines through the guts, just had this confidence about him.

He has also played well at times for Willy, probably more so as a rebounding defender, but alot of the times, he does seem to go missing as well.