PDA

View Full Version : Canberra Game

LostDoggy
08-03-2010, 12:13 PM
For anyone flying home on the night of the Canberra game.

Someone at the game Friday night said their flight home was cancelled and they have been put on the 5pm flight, which is the last flight for the day, (was 7:20pm), this is no good for anyone coming home from the footy. They were not advised of the change, they only knew because a friend tried to book the same flight.

I just checked our flights and we also were on the 7:20pm Virgin flight, I checked online and also saw it didn't exist anymore, I was hoping maybe it was full and that's why it didn't show anymore, so I rang them to be told it was cancelled and we were also put on the 5pm flight as it was the last flight for the day, the stupid woman could not understand how thjis would cause a problem for anyone that was only going to Canberra for the footy. She finally offered to refund the cancelled flight, but not the flight up, once again the stupid woman could not understand how I had a problem with this, if I can't get home, why would I fly up.

Now we have to decide whether to take the refund, stay overnight, or pay through the nose on Qantas.

Qantas last direct flight is 5:10pm $99, this is no good either, footy most likley wouldn't finish to 4:40pm or later. All the rest of the night Qantas flights are $200 or more and via Sydney 3 hour trip home instead of an hour.

I find it strange the flight was cancelled, I think it was the same flight we come home on last year. The flight was full and I reckon 70% were Bulldog supporters, so much so the flight attendant did a "Doggie, Doggie, Doggie".

I would assume the players would come home the same day, but they wouldn't make the 5:10pm either, and can't see them going via Sydney, maybe they have a charter.

I would be interested if any other Woofers are affected by this.

LostDoggy
08-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I think it was the same flight we come home on last year. The flight was full and I reckon 70% were Bulldog supporters, so much so the flight attendant did a "Doggie, Doggie, Doggie".

I was on that flight...with the players right? We had Dogs supporters everywhere & the team came on aswell, one funny flight indeed. Some dude behind me was annoying the sh*t out of Brian Lake when he was waiting to goto the toilet, thought Brian was gunna clock him one :D def. most memorable flight i've had so far.

Pickenitup
08-03-2010, 07:20 PM
I tried to get a flight that night but only 5pm so have to stay the nite

LostDoggy
09-03-2010, 04:27 PM
That is ridiculous. What morons. We're driving up, so no issues, but I sympathise with all on that 5pm flight. :mad:

We're just waiting on the NRL to tell us when the Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm game is going to be played so we can work out how many nights we have to stay. (Hopefully not a Monday night game!!) :D

Pickenitup
11-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Does anyone know of any good hotels in Canberra that is close to Maunka oval?

comrade
11-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Does anyone know of any good hotels in Canberra that is close to Maunka oval?

Stay clear of The Marque on Northbourne Avenue (which is in central Canberra). I'd recommend staying in the Kingston area - better restaurants and cooler vibe.

Even better it's literally a short walk to the Oval. If I had my time again, that's the area I'd stay.

SonofScray
12-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Will be going up again this year with a few friends. Did get a bit rowdy in 09, intend to pick it up a notch this year.

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 01:12 PM
The Mohawk will be at Manuka making mirth,
At the top of his lungs and for all he's worth!

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 01:48 PM
The Mohawk will be at Manuka making mirth,
At the top of his lungs and for all he's worth!

Hey DaDruid!! Did you know that Storm are also playing in Canberra that weekend? Waiting for the day & time to be confirmed. Might be time for the Bulldogs/Storm mohawk to make another appearance!! :D

LostDoggy
17-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Hey DaDruid!! Did you know that Storm are also playing in Canberra that weekend? Waiting for the day & time to be confirmed. Might be time for the Bulldogs/Storm mohawk to make another appearance!! :D

Thanx for further complicating my decision making process when it comes to issues of follicle design! :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
17-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanx for further complicating my decision making process when it comes to issues of follicle design! :rolleyes:

You're welcome!! :D

choconmientay
17-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Stay clear of The Marque on Northbourne Avenue (which is in central Canberra). I'd recommend staying in the Kingston area - better restaurants and cooler vibe.

Even better it's literally a short walk to the Oval. If I had my time again, that's the area I'd stay.

My family is considering to drive up there as well for the game. It will be cool to watch Bazza play against his old site. I have never been to Canberra. What is the average price for hotel up there (in Kingston area) guys?

LostDoggy
17-03-2010, 04:22 PM
My family is considering to drive up there as well for the game. It will be cool to watch Bazza play against his old site. I have never been to Canberra. What is the average price for hotel up there (in Kingston area) guys?

Jump on www.wotif.com

I find it easy to look at accommodation at a glance on that site & have used it often to book, no problems in the past. :)

turfdog
18-03-2010, 09:57 PM
I was on the 7.20pm Virgin flight too. Had to change it to the next day and stay over.

It's incredible that there's not one direct flight between Canberra and Melbourne on a Saturday night. Must be pollies day off.

I hope somebody lets Virgin know about this. Given the response from Bulldogs supporters and the plane loads full returning on the day over the past couple of years, I'd say they'd fill two planes at least.

LostDoggy
19-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I was on the 7.20pm Virgin flight too. Had to change it to the next day and stay over.

It's incredible that there's not one direct flight between Canberra and Melbourne on a Saturday night. Must be pollies day off.

I hope somebody lets Virgin know about this. Given the response from Bulldogs supporters and the plane loads full returning on the day over the past couple of years, I'd say they'd fill two planes at least.
turfdog did you get advised by Virgin about the cancellation, or have you only learnt of it on the grapevine, like we did ?
When I rang and asked why we have not been told of the cancellation I was told they only advise you a month out from the date. I find this completely unacceptable, I suppose there is not a,ot we can do about them cancelling the flight, but not to let you know untila month before is rubbish. I havw wrote to them about 2 weeks ago, still waiting for a reply.

turfdog
19-03-2010, 10:04 PM
turfdog did you get advised by Virgin about the cancellation, or have you only learnt of it on the grapevine, like we did ?
When I rang and asked why we have not been told of the cancellation I was told they only advise you a month out from the date. I find this completely unacceptable, I suppose there is not a,ot we can do about them cancelling the flight, but not to let you know untila month before is rubbish. I havw wrote to them about 2 weeks ago, still waiting for a reply.

I was in the Virgin website and noticed that our flight was no longer listed, so I called them and was told they don't advise people earlier because there is a chance the original flight might be re-scheduled or another flight added.

When I questioned them about the possibility of a flight being added on the Saturday night, they admitted that it was unlikely to happen.

When I tried explaining that we were just going there and back for the day, the operator had no clue and didn't care. It left us with no choice.

LostDoggy
20-03-2010, 03:41 PM
I was in the Virgin website and noticed that our flight was no longer listed, so I called them and was told they don't advise people earlier because there is a chance the original flight might be re-scheduled or another flight added.

When I questioned them about the possibility of a flight being added on the Saturday night, they admitted that it was unlikely to happen.

When I tried explaining that we were just going there and back for the day, the operator had no clue and didn't care. It left us with no choice.
Same here, she could not understand what the big deal was, she kept saying our flight home was only changed by 5 minutes, apparantly the flight they put us on 5pn, has been changed by 5 minutes.
When I said we were only going for the day to the footy, she didn't have a clue, and still couldn't understand why we couldn't come home at 5pm. I've wrote to Virgin 2 weeks ago, still no reply, I'm not going to leave it alone, can't do much about them cancelling/changing flights, but not tol tell you until a montrh before you travel is unacceptable.

LostDoggy
31-03-2010, 12:59 PM
For anyone interested Melbourne Storm are playing the Canberra Raiders in Canberra on Saturday 15th May at 7.30pm - it's going to be a HUGE day of sport!! Straight from the footy to the rugby league for me!! :D

FlightoftheCallanWards
01-04-2010, 05:26 PM
For anyone interested Melbourne Storm are playing the Canberra Raiders in Canberra on Saturday 15th May at 7.30pm - it's going to be a HUGE day of sport!! Straight from the footy to the rugby league for me!! :D
Magnificent!

should be attending both games then :) if I can get this accommodation sorted out!

LostDoggy
01-04-2010, 06:35 PM

Good to hear it turned out well for ya Suz instead of a Monday night or something ;)

FlightoftheCallanWards
02-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Just had a look on webjet and apparently there is a qantas flight at 730 on the Saturday for anyone interested. No stops and only 89 bucks

LostDoggy
03-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Good to hear it turned out well for ya Suz instead of a Monday night or something ;)

Yeah, definately didn't want a Monday night game. ;)

LostDoggy
05-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Just had a look on webjet and apparently there is a qantas flight at 730 on the Saturday for anyone interested. No stops and only 89 bucks
Thanks very much FOTCW. Our flight home from Canberra with Virgin was cancelled, which meant we had to stay overnight. This Qantas flight was not there when I learnt of the cancelled Virgin flight.
Just rang Virgin, and because they cancelled and we can get home with Qantas, they refunded the return trip and I booked on the Qantas flight. I would not have known about the Qantas flight if it was not for your post, thanks again. I would say Qantas have put the flight on to accomodate the players getting home, previously their last flight direct was 5pm same as the last Virgin flight.

LostDoggy
05-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Im going to head up there with a couple of mates on the Saturday morning with Tiger $38 (8.30am - 1hr flight, if we get there by 12 ill be happy) but we'll stay Saturday night & Sunday night and get a $79 flight home Monday arvo with Virgin

Qantas option does seem like a good idea though, but we can have chill out time up there instead of up and back.

LostDoggy
05-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Im going to head up there with a couple of mates on the Saturday morning with Tiger $38 (8.30am - 1hr flight, if we get there by 12 ill be happy) but we'll stay Saturday night & Sunday night and get a $79 flight home Monday arvo with Virgin

Qantas option does seem like a good idea though, but we can have chill out time up there instead of up and back.
We have been for a few days in the past, really enjoyed, plenty to see over a few days. having already done, now just a "hit & run" mission. If you have not already been the "AIS" Australian Institute of Sport is a really great tour to do.

LostDoggy
05-04-2010, 05:56 PM
We have been for a few days in the past, really enjoyed, plenty to see over a few days. having already done, now just a "hit & run" mission. If you have not already been the "AIS" Australian Institute of Sport is a really great tour to do.

Sounds like an idea. Ive been there the last 2 years..def. can be done in a day or two but last time I only went past the war memorial didn't get to see much, so looking forward to some Saturday Night (hopefully winning) beers and then a recovery day on the sunday to check some stuff out. :D

craigsahibee
06-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Jump on www.wotif.com

I find it easy to look at accommodation at a glance on that site & have used it often to book, no problems in the past. :)

Staying at the Brassey in Barton. Not cheap but clean, warm (important in Canberra in May), good breakfast and 5 mins walk to the ground.....25 mins from ground to hotel.

LostDoggy
16-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Just ordered my tickets. I'm staying at the Rydges Capital Hill, Short walk to the ground (avoid parking there awesome), Coach's brunch is there (location of the club event is awesome), Pretty expensive (not so awesome), I got a gift card paid by work for me doing a good job that will pay for my accomidation (very awesome).

LostDoggy
06-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Just wondering if anyone was going along to this?

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/canberra%20coaches%20preview%20brunch/tabid/16106/default.aspx

If you've already planned to follow the team to Canberra to see them take on Sydney, or you are thinking about it, then there is one pre-match event that you can't miss...

The Coaches Preview Brunch, including an address from one of our Assistant Coaches

When: Saturday May 15th
Where: Rydges Capital Hill, Cnr Canberra Ave & National Cct. Forrest, ACT
Time: 11am start for brunch
Price: $80 members and $90 non members
Package includes a reserved seat to the game

Scorlibo
06-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Just wondering if anyone was going along to this?

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/canberra%20coaches%20preview%20brunch/tabid/16106/default.aspx

If you've already planned to follow the team to Canberra to see them take on Sydney, or you are thinking about it, then there is one pre-match event that you can't miss...

The Coaches Preview Brunch, including an address from one of our Assistant Coaches

When: Saturday May 15th
Where: Rydges Capital Hill, Cnr Canberra Ave & National Cct. Forrest, ACT
Time: 11am start for brunch
Price: $80 members and $90 non members
Package includes a reserved seat to the game

Wish I hadn't have bought tickets today :( Sounds great.

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Wish I hadn't have bought tickets today :( Sounds great.

I had the same issue, if you make sure tickets are still available for the brunch you can purchase those and they can refund the game ticket purchase at any time, well thats what the said and did for me.